Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By primetimegrape
Ativan
    Galaxies is offline New Member

Default Ativan

What is a decent dose of Ativan?
    I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get some, and I want to know what the dosages are like.
    For example Xanax...
    .5 is low, 1.5 is alright, 2+ is high (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks.

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

what is the reason your getting some, ( if you dont mind me asking?) Is it for anxiety?

the lowest dose is the best route to go which I think is 0.5. But if you dont know, it is very addictive and very had to get off, I went thru hell and ack with that drug. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by shybaybe2003 View Post
    what is the reason your getting some, ( if you dont mind me asking?) Is it for anxiety?

the lowest dose is the best route to go which I think is 0.5. But if you dont know, it is very addictive and very had to get off, I went thru hell and ack with that drug. Good luck to you.
    Yes it is for anxiety. But, I used to take 1.5 mg of Xanax and it did absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxies View Post
    Yes it is for anxiety. But, I used to take 1.5 mg of Xanax and it did absolutely nothing.
    I take 2mg of Xanax 2x day as needed (they are the yellow four bar pills) and they are very strong. Could be just the generic u received which do differ by as much as 20% in potency, b/c Xanax is def. the strongest benzo. in my opinion. There is actually a 3mg extended release Xanax, Xanax XR and I believe they have a 4mg XR pill now available. My mother was on the 3mg XR. Worked great for her.

I have taken Ativan. I don't like it very much. It is one of those drugs that either u like or u don't. There is no in between. Ativan, unlike other benzos., has an anethestic property in it, so it kind of numbs u and it can also cause some ppl to have memory loss. I never had memory loss, but I know some that did, but it was not strong enough for me, so I went back on the 2mg Xanax. When I took Ativan, I was taking 1mg 2x day. 0.5mg is the average starting dose and anything above that is a stronger dose. As far as what dose to take? I def. think u need to start with the lowest dose and see how u react to the med. U may feel nothing as u said Xanax did not help (try 2mg Xanax, Walgreens sells the generic yellow four bar pills, and I guarantee those will def. work and then some, lol! I take them for Panic Disorder, but I have never abused them or any other benzo.).

Ativan I hear is highly addictive, but I think Xanax is the most addictive. I have a psyc. degree and know all about all the benzo. meds, short acting ones like Xanax, medium acting ones like Ativan (longer halflife, so I put it in the middle, takes about 45 min to work and works longer than Xanax) and long acting benzos, like Valium (Diazepam), Klonopin (Clonezepam), and a very long acting, older benzo. that I think works good, Dalmane (Flurazepam). Dalmane is a sedative-hypnotic and is usually only taken once a day at bedtime, but it is a benzo. and has a very long half-life and builds up in your body, even more than Valium, which I think is a very good benzo. drug for numerous purposes. Which one works for ppl, it varies. All of these drugs are in the same class and all have basically the same effect to an extent, but time of effect, potency and duration all differ. Librium is another alternative. It is still prescribed. It was the first benzo. created. 25mg is the avg. starting dose on that, and Valium is the same as Librium except it is ten X stronger, and a 10mg Valium (strongest dose) does not even come close to a 2mg yellow bar Xanax. The 2mg Xanax is equiv. to about 30mg-40mg of Valium. I am not a doctor, but I know all this from my studies in school and my psyc. degree, but your doctor will ultimately determine your Ativan dose. Hope it works for u! Good luck and keep us informed.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-14-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    InnerSpirit likes this.

Wow, thanks for that extremely informative post.
    I've took .5 mg of Valium, 4 mg of Klonopin, and 1.5 mg of Xanax. Out of all, the only one I felt was the Klonopin. Which in a bad way was great. It basically made me super high, but also got rid of the anxiety.
    The main problem is school. I cannot sit in class for the full 80 minutes or whatever it is. Now I have two questions for you. Do you think I should try and get Adderall to help me focus and sit in class, or get a higher dose of Xanax? Or, even get the non generic kind of Xanax to see if that helps too.
    The thing is, my doctor straight up told me he doesn't want to increase the Xanax because he doesn't want to go to jail? I have no clue what that's supposed to mean, but I doubt he will increase it.

Suggestions?

Default let me ask u something first

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxies View Post
    Wow, thanks for that extremely informative post.
    I've took .5 mg of Valium, 4 mg of Klonopin, and 1.5 mg of Xanax. Out of all, the only one I felt was the Klonopin. Which in a bad way was great. It basically made me super high, but also got rid of the anxiety.
    The main problem is school. I cannot sit in class for the full 80 minutes or whatever it is. Now I have two questions for you. Do you think I should try and get Adderall to help me focus and sit in class, or get a higher dose of Xanax? Or, even get the non generic kind of Xanax to see if that helps too.
    The thing is, my doctor straight up told me he doesn't want to increase the Xanax because he doesn't want to go to jail? I have no clue what that's supposed to mean, but I doubt he will increase it.

Suggestions?
    Let me ask u something first. How old are u? I need to know this before I can tell u exactly what to do with the Adderall. U see Adderall works as a depressan drug in teens up until around 17 or 18, then their body changes, and the drug actually has the completely reverse effect. It turns into a stimulant. So the older u are the actions of the drug may be different. If u are in that 14-16 age range u should be fine but 17 and esp. 18 and older, Adderrall and Ritalin become stimulant drugs in the body. The reasons for this are profound, and as I psyc. major I will not go into all that here as it is confusing but very interesting. Anyway how old are u? Thanks