Barbiturates and benzodiazepines
    disarmoniaMundi is offline New Member

Default Barbiturates and benzodiazepines

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, although I have been using this invaluably resourceful website for many years. I have an important question, and I figured that this would be the best place to ask it.

I have recently read about barbiturates and benzodiazepines interacting in a way that makes each much more powerful than if they were taken at the same dose separately. From what I understand, they both work on closely related parts of the brain and sort of multiply each other's effects, but this information is new to me.

I have, in the past couple days, taken a total of 300mg of butalbital. 150 two days ago, and 150mg yesterday. The half-life is relatively long -- 36 hours as I understand. If this is true, then I will still have a pretty substantial amount in my body even tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me if this drug will interact with etizolam? I know it isn't technically a benzodiazepine, but a theinodiazepine instead, but I am still questioning this. I have tried searching on the drug interaction checker on this site, but etizolam wasn't able to be selected as a medication.

The example given, specifically on the butalbital Wikipedia page, says that the co-administration of butalbital and benzodiazepines can have a multiplying factor of 9x, meaning that each drug can work as if they were taken in a separate dose 9 times as high as the real dosage. I don't know how accurate this is, or if it was just used loosely as an example of two medicines multiplying each other's effects or what, but I really don't want to have any miscalculations of this magnitude.

Will I have a synergistic effect large enough to worry about tomorrow if I happen to take etizolam?

Well, I will know in less than an hour.

Nothing unusual. No difference.