Bystolic interaction/White Coat Hypertension
    francisbd is offline New Member

Default Bystolic interaction/White Coat Hypertension

I have severe white coat hypertension which is not helped by the fact that I also have numerous drug allergies. I have mild hypertension which is under control by a small dose Norvasc. My normal BP (which I take 2 times daily) is 129/79. When I go to any doctor my BP can go as high as 210/120. This is scary and unhealthy to me plus it often takes over 24 hours to get it back to normal. The other problem is once the doctor sees the high BP, they focus on that. They don't believe my normal BP even though I keep a BP journal have had my cuff checked numerous times. My family doctor has suggested trying 1 pill of Bystolic (nebivolol) 30 minutes before a doctor visit. He also said a small dose of Ativan may work but thought the Bystolic would work better. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs and I forgot to ask him if Bystolic was a Sulfa drug. This info is not always an easy thing to find and I have been told by doctors that a certain drug does not have any sulfa components only to find out later that is does. Does anybody out there know if Bystolic (nebivolol) is classified as a Sulfa drug. Also does anyone out there have any first hand suggestions on combating white coat hypertension?

Quote Originally Posted by francisbd View Post
    I have severe white coat hypertension which is not helped by the fact that I also have numerous drug allergies. I have mild hypertension which is under control by a small dose Norvasc. My normal BP (which I take 2 times daily) is 129/79. When I go to any doctor my BP can go as high as 210/120. This is scary and unhealthy to me plus it often takes over 24 hours to get it back to normal. The other problem is once the doctor sees the high BP, they focus on that. They don't believe my normal BP even though I keep a BP journal have had my cuff checked numerous times. My family doctor has suggested trying 1 pill of Bystolic (nebivolol) 30 minutes before a doctor visit. He also said a small dose of Ativan may work but thought the Bystolic would work better. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs and I forgot to ask him if Bystolic was a Sulfa drug. This info is not always an easy thing to find and I have been told by doctors that a certain drug does not have any sulfa components only to find out later that is does. Does anybody out there know if Bystolic (nebivolol) is classified as a Sulfa drug. Also does anyone out there have any first hand suggestions on combating white coat hypertension?
    You are okay to take bystolic if you have a sulfa allergy, there is no "sulfa" in it. The real worry is if you have such a high BP when you visit the doctor then most likely you will have a high BP other times in your life when you are stressed and that is very dangerous. I definitely believe you that "normally" when you are relaxed you have a normal BP and that is good, but the white coat HTN level can be raised at other times when you are stressed. Do you know why you are taking a calcium channel blocker (the class of medication that norvasc falls in) because that is not a traditional first line therapy, do you have any other conditions? I hope that helps a little and if you need anything let me know. Good luck!!
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B