Celexa or Citalopram?
    wkdcute4 is offline New Member

Default Celexa or Citalopram?

I have a question about Celexa/Citalopram - does anyone know if these two are equivalent? I've been on Celexa 20 mg for about 6 months. For the first 3 months, my medication said Celexa, and I felt great. But I got a refill at a different pharmacy, and the bottle says citalopram, and while I feel like it is still working the medication does not seem to have the same effect on me. Mainly, I feel like my concentration is not as good/worse since I got the refill than it was before, and I'm more anxious than before.

Is generic citalopram vastly different from Celexa? When I go to get another refill, should I make sure they give me brand name celexa, or is there no difference between that one and generic citalopram?

Thanks.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Most people do just fine with generic drugs >> the name brand. But there can be some "minor" differences with fillers and non-active ingredients. It does affect SOME people a little differently. I think that if you can physically tell a difference then I would ask for the name brand. Hope that helps. God bless.

chiawana is offline New Member

Default Celexa/citalopram

Citalopram is the generic name for Celexa. You may find differences between various generic brands; however if cost is a factor to you, the brand name is going to be a lot more expensive. Even if you have insurance, your copay will either be higher, or your plan may refuse to pay for the brand name entirely, or require a prior authorization from your doctor as to why you have to use brand name.

Lexapro is a similar drug (escitalopram) developed due to the impending loss of patent on Celexa. It is not yet available in generic form.

Pharmacy Tech 30+ years