Children using Zoloft and Trileptal
    ConcernedParent1976 is offline New Member

Default Children using Zoloft and Trileptal

Hi and thanks for looking.

My son is going be 12 soon. He lives with his Mom and has been seeing a therapist and psychologist for a few years now for anxiety and depression. He's been prescribed to take 150mg Sertraline(Zoloft) and 1200mg of Oxcarbexipine(Trileptol) per day. He's about 5.6 and weighs about 145. He takes these at night before bed and also 2 gummy melatonin a to help him sleep, sometimes 3.

His mother has been pioneering his treatment. She was also on Zoloft at one point and may be again but we don't talk like that. There's some distance in between us now (commute-wise) and has been since a little before he started this treatment.

I'm not around as much due to the distance (once/twice a month depending) but from what I can see he has a hard time with so much more than just anxiety and depression. I may also just not understand this as well either. When he was younger I never really noticed such issues which again could be conditional. We have a daughter too who's 15 that did some therapy on Moms suggestion but refused the medication. She dent seem to have the same issues today.

My question is this: How does this prescription sound for a child at his specs? I know this may sound nebulous but I'm opening up the discussion to hopefully learn more about this from a 3rd party. His mother will only tell me what she wants, he can't really put it into words, and the therapist I spoke too was not the prescriber. I still need to get in touch with the psychologist.

I'm worried that the side effects out weight the benefit. I don't see any drive with him or desire to even cut his own food. He wants to be alone all the time. He's not disabled and doesn't have any learning issues or special needs except for extra special care and preparation emotionally. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ConcernedParent1976 is offline New Member

Edit: Psychiatrist, not psychologist.

To be clear he sees both.