Dextromethorphan for hyperalgesia and opioid tolerance?
    PoisonAlice is offline New Member

Question Dextromethorphan for hyperalgesia and opioid tolerance?

Has anyone else here tried taking dextromethorphan for hyperalgesia, allodynia, and opioid tolerance? Now, I already had hyperalgesia and allodynia before taking the opiates that I'm currently on, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if my current level is impacted by my medications. My pain cycles with the seasons, it gets worse in the winter months and gets better in the spring and summer. So I had to increase my breakthrough pain medications, but my tolerance is so high that it didn't seem to have much of an impact. Well, I had been doing some research on NDMA-receptor antagonists and noticed some studies done on dextromethorphan and figured I'd give that a try, since that's readily available, while the others aren't, and also since it's being studied in fibromyalgia pain. I'm currently taking 40mg every 6 hours and I've noticed a HUGE difference in my neuropathic pain, and it's really helping with my breakthrough pain meds too! I was just wondering if anyone else takes dextromethorphan for either or both reasons, how much you take, and how it works for you.

Icannot is offline New Member

Hi, I just posted earlier today..missed your post but I use for opioid receptor reasons..
    I have neuropathy,allodynia,hyperalgesia pain also fibro type symptoms...I too have read that this is being used for fibro..
    Since pain dr started me on extended release opana er, 2months ago, instead of it lasting 12 hrs, I am having almost daily basis..sweats,nausea, worst 2 hours before the extended release med is due....so withdrawal symptoms at 7-8 hours
    ,, dr put me on Dextromethorphan to react with mu receptors he called them...
    So far I think it has helped with pain also but I cannot find a pharmacy to compound them so take delsym cough syrup and it is timed release so I take it am, afternoon, and at bedtime (30mg) .
    I woke up this morning though with intense burning of skin and that is probably neuropathy pain so took my breakthru pain med and it helped but I don't want to chase the pain as I know that's what happens..
    Lord help me if I have to take more opiates as I am not doing well at all.
    I a moody, extremely sleepy during day and don't even get out of bed recently because sweating profusely or not..I still feel clammy.
    I hope the dextromethorphan helps us both..
    Keep me posted on how you are doing..
    I am 63 female, and if I cannot find support of some kind I don't know what I'll do. I am very depressed. The post I did today is first sort of SOS.. Thanks

Elzbita is offline New Member

Good salt for the those who suffer in sever cough or whooping cough therefore it is better to take two times at least in order to get the relief from the concerning disease.It has not side effect for the body at all.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-09-2013 at 03:23 AM.

yourdrugadvisor is offline New Member

Default Dextromethorphan

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonAlice View Post
    Has anyone else here tried taking dextromethorphan for hyperalgesia, allodynia, and opioid tolerance? Now, I already had hyperalgesia and allodynia before taking the opiates that I'm currently on, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if my current level is impacted by my medications. My pain cycles with the seasons, it gets worse in the winter months and gets better in the spring and summer. So I had to increase my breakthrough pain medications, but my tolerance is so high that it didn't seem to have much of an impact. Well, I had been doing some research on NDMA-receptor antagonists and noticed some studies done on dextromethorphan and figured I'd give that a try, since that's readily available, while the others aren't, and also since it's being studied in fibromyalgia pain. I'm currently taking 40mg every 6 hours and I've noticed a HUGE difference in my neuropathic pain, and it's really helping with my breakthrough pain meds too! I was just wondering if anyone else takes dextromethorphan for either or both reasons, how much you take, and how it works for you.
    Interesting fact: Dextromethorphan is chemically related to Demerol. It is a poor pain reliever, but does give good cough relief. You are just substituting one opiate for another.

Tolerance to the opiates that you are taking is to be expected. The max dose of opiates is so high, that almost no one max's out before the side effects kick in.

Mu receptors are what control the pain areas of the brain. When they are filled with opiates, you feel no pain. Anything that binds to these sites will also cause this same relief.

I would speak with your physician first about increasing the opiate and adding a neuropathic drug, i.e. Neurontin, Cymbalta, or Lyrica, or a tri-cyclic antidepressant. You may be able to cut back on the opiates and achieve better pain control.

Ron Barron, RPh Your Drug Advisor