Does Zetia Block Omega 3
    diybob is offline New Member

Default Does Zetia Block Omega 3

Hi Forum

I’ve been taking Zetia for my high cholesterol. I can not take statins due to sensitive liver.

I’ve also been taking Omega 3 for its health benefits.

From researching Zetia, its main function is to block fat from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

My question: DOES ZETIA BLOCK OMEGA 3 ALSO?

Thanks, any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

Zetia blocks absorption of cholesterol at brush border of small intestine causing decreased delivery to the liver and increased extraction from the circulation. There is no drug interaction with Omega-3 and to directly answer your question, no, it should not block omega-3. FYI omega-3 should mainly be used for people with very high TG because it will only lower TG (up to 40-50%) but can definitely raise LDL (more imp. cholesterol to lower) in some patients by 30-40%.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B

diybob is offline New Member

Thanks Dr. B

FYI I’m taking Zetia because my liver over produces Cholesterol. When I take statins my liver goes nuts raising triglycerides, ASL & AST. So I’m stuck with Zetia.

A friend sent me this article about Omega 3 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29104695/ it might be hype but I think it’s worth a try.

I’ll be taking 7200 mg’s per day along with Zetia. So what do you think?

Thanks again for answering my question it was much appreciated.

Bob

Hey,
    There are other alternatives besides just statins (the obvious best choice ideally if your liver could handle it) or zetia. Niaspan is not a bad choice, but for some people causes flushing but if you take aspirin 30 minutes beforehand it prevents most of that. There are several other choices such as Welchol, gemfibrozil, etc. which are all in different drug classes.

As for the article, I read 1/2 and skimmed the second 1/2. Bottom line is any article that completely bashes anything but its "blessed" omega-3 and doesn't weigh both sides very well is a garbage article. That is not to say that there isn't some truth in what was mentioned. Almost anything is good in moderation and what I mean is some omega-3 could be a good thing certainly. I would try a small or moderate amount of omega-3, but I would not go loading up on a huge doses. Also I recommend buying a product with a USP label on it meaning that is regulated and watched closely for quality so you actually get what you are buying. "Nutritional supplements" that are OTC like omega-3 are not regulated by FDA except for package labeling and safety last I read, so USP (independent agency and stands for United States Pharmacopia) is kind of a supplement to that that ensures you are getting what you purchased.
    Best of luck, if you need anything lemme know!
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B