Effexor side effects- huge anxiety
    ayena is offline New Member

Default Effexor side effects- huge anxiety

Hi, I've been on effexor for a little over four months. Over a month ago, I noticed a huge increase in anxiety and started suffering from panic attacks for the first time. They were mind altering and scary, but i started running, eating well, taking care of my deficiencies (ferritin is 5, low vitamin d, and close hypothyroidism), therapy, meditation, etc. However, I continue to hsve this anxiety, and started taking trazadone to sleep, which I'm coming off of now. I feel nuts.. I feel disoriented and mind racing.. I want to quit effexor, because it feels like this drug is altering my mind. I'm taking 37.5 mg and don't know how to come down, since my doctor won't listen and says I can quit like nothing, which is not smart. Please help. I'm in need of support. This is consuming me.

olypen is offline New Member

I know how you feel, but it can be done. I have tapered down from 150mg generic venlafaxine to 37.5 without much problem from withdrawals, just a few feeling odd days. There is a lot of good advice on the internet from cutting the tablet
    to opening the capsules and taking out beads, depending on whether you have the regular or the,XR version. I was taking the XR and did the bead counting, takes time and concentration, or just get a good pill splitter, make small cuts if you have the tablets.

The key is not to rush and don't reduce by more than 10% per month to start. If you're doing okay, make it three weeks.
    Let your body tell you when to reduce the dose. It will take a while but this time let the turtle win the race.

Good luck.