Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cats Meow
  • 1 Post By Cats Meow
Fentanyl\methadone info needed asap!
    harleydude is offline New Member

Default Fentanyl\methadone info needed asap!

hello, I have a few questions concerning the blockade effects of methadone on fentanyl. I am on 80mg of methadone . how much fentanyl is needed to feel the effects and help with pain? my concern is also I am getting and edoscopy monday and the gastro.doc said he's going to use fentanyl and versed . my fear is that I won't be givin enuff of both and I will experience pain or negitive reactions to the meds or procedure becouse im on the methadone . any info will help. please give numbers and millagrams so I can compare to docs response.thanx for your time!

Cats Meow is offline Platinum Member

Methadone doesn't exactly have a blockade effect, it's such a large molecule that it hogs up most of the pain receptor, and other opioids besides Fentanyl have a hard time getting in. It's been awhile since I've answered this question, but I seem to remember only about 25% of the does can target the receptor. That's one of the major problems with Methadone, emergency analgesia, sometimes they like to use Toradol, but it's a lousy pain killer. Tell your doc, he may elect to give you extra, hard to say, they're not all up to speed when it comes to methadone.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-21-2009 at 07:44 PM.

thanx catsmeow for the info but im still confused, does the fentanyl work with methadone and you can feel its effects and on pain. and if so what dose will work good on 80mg of methadone. as far as the 25% im not sure I understand how that effects my situation. I hope you forgive my ignorance but im so confused by all this and my doc speaks in vauge terms. I need a respone in lamans terms! basics numbers or suggesttions .i do appreciate all the help no matter what,thanx catsmeow its a good peice in the puzzle !

Default Really ? come on guys !

I know somone on here can help me! there are so many people educatied in this feild on here and I get one response?! I KNOW there is someone that can answer my question with some clarity ! come on troops !

Default bump!

please help! info is very much needed!

Fentanyl as well as any opioid (besides Buprenorphine) works in conjunction with methadone, like I said, only about 25% can get through, and if my info is correct, and I believe it is, logic would dictate that you would need 4 times more fentanyl, but you're already getting analgesic effects from the methadone, so it wouldn't need to be 4x. As to how many mgs, Idk, I have no idea how much pain an endoscopy causes.
    He'll probably give you the regular amount, then if you start whining, then maybe a little more. Having a tube shoved up your ass probably isn't going to be that painful to begin with, some people enjoy that type of treatment!
    mrfitman likes this.

thanx that was a lot more clear as far as what 25% gets through. I wasn't shue if that applied to all opiates,meaning fentanyl is the only one that gets through but all other opiates only get through 25%! again thanx for your help. I am however geting the endoscopy from the mouth! so the doctor won't be slapping my ass! but who knows while om under?! also is it better to dose my 85millagrams of methadone before or is it safer after? shanx for thee great info and god bless you!

As far as I know, Methadone doesn't really give you peaks and valleys, but if you notice a time during the day when it does peak then factor the best time for you to take it, but I doubt you could go wrong taking it 3-4 hours before your procedure. I wouldn't advise taking it after, at least give the fentanyl 4 hours to wear off.
    Good luck with that.
    mrfitman likes this.

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

The only reason they use fentanyl is to sedate you for the start of the procedure. I went out for about 5 minutes and then woke up and watched the procedure on the monitor with the doctor and nurses. It is not painful and I am a strait guy that has had nothing up my backside before this. So just tell him the dose your on and you should be fine. The procedure isn't painful but it can be uncomfortable to someone who may be bashfull...Good luck....Dave

The OP already said the endoscopy is via the esophagus vis-à-vis per rectum! We need to cut this guy a break!

bmeades1978 is offline New Member

Default Help answer my question asap please

I am on 50 mcg fentanyl every other day hats I get 15 a month and I can basically change them every single day while chewing on the one that is a day old and I was able to get my hands on to methadone Wafers and what I was wondering is if I take a Methadone wafer right now while being on the fentanyl will I feel anything or get anything from it I have a very ridiculously high tolerance to everything please respond ASAP

mrfitman is offline New Member

Endoscopy?? Colonoscopy?? NOTHING!! NOTHING TO FEAR!!! Now they use Propapol!! The "Michael Jackson" drug! I've had 5 colonoscopy's a couple of poloups, that all! Remember to get "wallet pictures" great at cocktail parties