Fibromyaligic Addicted to pain meds and sleep drugs.
    Moosha is offline New Member

Exclamation Fibromyaligic Addicted to pain meds and sleep drugs.

My husband has fibromyalgia and his key symptoms are pain and spasms in His neck and upper back and severe sleep disorder. My husband has an extreme tolerance to drugs and has used mega doses of Tylenol 1 , Tramacet and sleep meds for years. He also uses Tramadol but does not overdo this drug. He had used 25 Tylenol 1's for 10 yrs, until I told his Dr. Then his Dr. put him on a series of narcotic drugs like Darvon etc which did not help his pain and he upped the doseage constantly becoming a zombie much like a drunk, nauseous, in a stupor, stumbling, falling down all the time. I got him convinced after many months to get off these bunch of drugs. So they put him on Tramadol and Tramacet. He uses 1 Tramadol a day, and is prescribed 2 Tramacet up to 4 X p day but he always increases this amount and runs out of his prescription up to 10 or 12 days BEFORE he's due to renew. On top of this he's back to using Tylenol 1's again, up to 20 a day. He constantly has headaches and is constantly going thru withdrawal. When he gets a NEW Tramacet prescription.....he can cut back on the Tylenol 1's a little but then he gets headaches. When he runs OUT of Tramacet , he UPs the doseage of Tylenol 1's to 20 a day along with the Tramadol. So he is in a constant state of withdrawing from either Tramacet or Tylenol 1's. He is also using 4 Trazedone and 4 Rhovane a night to sleep. He wakes up 20 mins after taking his sleep meds and binges on food. He is in a drug stupor and though he talks to me he doesn't remember ANYTHING that we talked about the next day so i've learned not to discuss anything with him important after he's taken his sleep meds. He has blackouts where he will drive somewhere during the day and not remember the trip. He took me to a grocery store during a blizzard one saturday and then home again and a week later had NO recollection of the trip. This is worst after waking having taken sleep meds, which he also uses during the day so he makes sure he gets extra drug to use to sleep on his days off. He does not eat much during the day because of the narcotic pain killers which diminish his appetite. All he does is eat, sleep, take drugs, smoke. He is tired all the time and has no drive, ambition, initiative or sex drive. He has me and our son picking him up tylenol 1's cos he can't get them by himself cos he uses so much and they keep track on a system at the drug store of how frequently people use this drug and restrict its sale for frequent users. He claims he can't get pain relief from his fibromyalgia . yet.... these drugs don't give him pain releif either. He constantly has headaches and spasms in his neck. I think he's an addict and that his pain levels reflect his body rejecting too much drug use. He panics if running low on meds and always makes sure there is enough. He most often takes them all on an empty stomach and wonders why he vomits so much. I have been battling to get him to stop abusing these drugs for 18 yrs. He has become almost useless to Me and our kids.... though he is not abusive to us. He simply.......... doesn't participate in life. If hes home........ he spends his day in bed except to get up to smoke, take more pills, eat or sometimes will watch a movie with us AFTER spending most the day in bed. He works full time driving truck. Imagine! Under the influence those kinds of drugs. He will even take tylenol 1's, gravol, tramadol AND tramacet and drive like that at work. I am seriously thinking I need to leave. Is there any way to get this man more effective pain relief? But I suppose he'll just abuse that too. What is wrong with him? I'm at my wits end.

disabledleo is offline Member

Default Moosha you did say

You did say you've talked to his doctor before right???? Was that when your husband was there or not??? If you can get ahold of your husbands doctor & talk to him about your concerns its a heck of a better place to start than just walking away from a freight train going off its tracks. Remember if he's on the road all of our families are at danger as is yours.
    If he's taking all that & not getting relief then something has to be done with the meds.
    I would start at his doctor if your husband won't listen your husband will have to listen to his doctor.
    Is there anything a surgeon can do or has nothing been found surgically that can be done???
    Theres soo much to say about this kinda post but I will stop for now & see what your response is
    Good luck

sprockets2000 is offline New Member

None of the meds you listed seem even that strong at all, most are pretty weak and easy to come off of. My main concern would be his apap intake cause its large. Anyway a simple solution is to switch from these meds to a long duration med like oxycontin or ms contin, i suggest ms contin for his tolerance (next to nothing) and maye some 5mg hydros for breakthrough. It will end this constant cycle for now until they can better treat his pain, and save his probably already damaged liver.

sprockets2000 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sprockets2000 View Post
    None of the meds you listed seem even that strong at all, most are pretty weak and easy to come off of. My main concern would be his apap intake cause its large. Anyway a simple solution is to switch from these meds to a long duration med like oxycontin or ms contin, i suggest ms contin for his tolerance (next to nothing) and maye some 5mg hydros for breakthrough. It will end this constant cycle for now until they can better treat his pain, and save his probably already damaged liver.

Also honestly he sounds like he is in pain, i have a fractured tail bone and I take ms contin for now ( i am an addict though ) and when my pain goes away and i get what i would consider (normal) not high I love nothing more than to play with my family and have hour long sex sessions with whoever, ive always conteded that opiates are the super sex drug for men, you can keep going and going and going and well you dont get off but at least your partner is happy.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

The problem with fibro and opiates is you tend to rely on them for energy and mental stability also which is addiction waiting to happen. My wife has fibro extremely bad but refuses to go up the opiate ladder so she takes about 30mg of hydrocodone daily for about 30 days then stops for as long as possible before refilling again. It's a slippery slope and I feel so bad for her. Fibro is a nasty disease and if I had it I'd probably be so flipping high everyday so I wouldn't have to deal with it.