Gabapentin
    sunshine1109 is offline New Member

Default Gabapentin

I started taking gabapentin 2mths ago started out on 300 mgs once a day and every week increased, well got up to 1800 mgs was on that for about 3 weeks and its not working, how long till I should feel a difference, the only thing its done is made me tired and put on about ten lbs, Im not gonna take these anymore its just ridiculous and I cant go back to prescribing Dr as I have no insurance and he charged me 373 dollars just to come in and talk to me .. just would like to know if I should of felt a difference in pain as he said 4 to 6 weeks.. Thanks

NoMoreLies is offline Junior Member

What are you taking the Gabapentin for? I've been prescribed it for fibromyalgia pain, my insurance required me to try that before they would pay for Lyrica. It did help my pain some, but it took about 2 months before that happened. It also gave me a pretty serious tremor in my hands and I stopped taking it because of that. It may be that you need a differant medication. Good luck to you!

Fentyful is offline New Member
    Currently, somewhere in the middle of Nebraska (sigh)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine1109 View Post
    I started taking gabapentin 2mths ago started out on 300 mgs once a day and every week increased, well got up to 1800 mgs was on that for about 3 weeks and its not working, how long till I should feel a difference, the only thing its done is made me tired and put on about ten lbs, Im not gonna take these anymore its just ridiculous and I cant go back to prescribing Dr as I have no insurance and he charged me 373 dollars just to come in and talk to me .. just would like to know if I should of felt a difference in pain as he said 4 to 6 weeks.. Thanks
    I just wanted to give you a word of caution, as I found out the hard way, and none of my doctor's shared this with me. I was prescibed it orginally at 100mg 3x a day and then 100mg a.m and 300mg at night, when that didn't work, before I knew it I was put on 600mg and so on and so forth when I informed them it still wasn't working. Due to the fact that I never noticed it helping much with the nerve pain and issue's I was taking it for, it did however make me feel spacey, odd, off, etc., I would only take it sporadically when I would get desperate. Well after my sugery I was upped to an insane amount of 600 mg 4x a day and after only approx a month of stopping it, I found myself experiencing withdrawals while on a VERY HIGH NARCOTIC DOSE!! At first I was mystified, and upset, as I hadn't yet made the connection. After doing some research, not only does gabapentin (Neurontin), cause withdrawal syndrome in patients who have been taking regular doses long term, high doses ie. 1800mg or higher, during a relatively shortterm therapy can cause it as well, and the withdrawal symptoms are VERY SIMILAR TO BENZO WITHDRAWAL, which I had faithfully steered clear of those class of drugs for that very reason! Benzodiazipines create some of the worst withdrawal symptoms there are paralleled only with SSRI's. Needless to say, I was extremely upset, and felt duped, lied to, cheated etc. NOTHING relieved the symptoms which for me started out almost a day later, contributing to the mystery of it, and being unsure of where they were coming from, with a horrible migraine, hot/cold flashes, goosebumps, sweats, gastriointestinal disturbances, and a host of other uncomfortable, scarey symptoms. The only thing that stopped the symptoms was taking the culprit. So, as I stated, just a word of caution for those of you who are taking it for one of the MANY off label rx's, nerve pain, migraines, anxiety, depression, and ironically it's even prescribed for withdrawal syndromes from opiates, etc. You can become dependant in a relatively short time on this med, and for me my tolerance to the med developed VERY RAPIDLY, as compared my narcotic prescriptions. BE CAREFUL PEOPLE. As i've experienced, and read on these forums over and over, no matter how much you trust, admire, respect your physcian, or pharmacist, KNOW YOUR MEDICATIONS!!! Read that pamphlet that most of us discard in the bag the medicines are handed to us. ASK THE PHARMACIST important questions, google it, and while I am in noone mean's trying to instill fear in patients, because the truth is, MOST of us will only experience mild side effects if any in most medications, a lot of medications do NOT cause withdrawal if taking as prescribed, however it us alway's good to know the risk's, and there is alway's the exception. WE AND WE ALONE are responsible for what we PUT INTO OUR BODIES. I am very sorry I have gotten far off the point, it just kills me to read over and over: I didn't know, I wasn't aware, I did what my doctor said, my doctor didn't tell me.....and then next thing you know people are strung out, worse off, etc. etc. and we blame the doctors. Sure I feel the doctor's, healthcare system, insurance companies, big Pharma, they ALL play a PART, but the bottom line is WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES! Most of us would never dream of putting a pill in our mouth that some stranger handed us off the street. Yet we do that same thing over and over when the person is wearing a white lab coat and a medical badge. We wouldn't DREAM of a stranger watching our children, yet we take our kid's to "strangers" to be treated daily. Just because one has a medical degree or background, as myself, does not mean they are experienced, knowledgable, trustworthy etc. I think I will start another thread with were this has went, because I realize I have went farther off the beaten path then I intended.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-28-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: misspelling

Certifried is offline New Member

I was on Neurontin for few years, 1800 Mg a day. It worked great for me. It resolved my RLS and helped with my nerve pain from my facet joint arthritis. Eventually, I started to have some inexplicable panic attacks. I attributed it to the neurontin at first, and had my doc switch me off it, the panic attacks subsided. I tried mirapex, but that gave me really bad insomnia. My doc switched me to mirapex ER (extended release) which I take at noon, and the insomnia went away. The ER still is in my system during the night, however, so the RLS is gone too.

Like said above, you just have to be well informed of the medication you're on. Which includes knowing that some of these are VERY effective for different people. Our body chemistry is so different from person to person.

I don't know what to say about not having insurance, that's gotta be hard. Especially when you are dealing with such life impacting issues. I don't know about generic mirapex, tried to do some searching but didn't find much. H
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-20-2018 at 12:23 AM.

teawah is offline New Member

Default Favorite Find Yet

Quote Originally Posted by Fentyful View Post
    I just wanted to give you a word of caution, as I found out the hard way, and none of my doctor's shared this with me. I was prescibed it orginally at 100mg 3x a day and then 100mg a.m and 300mg at night, when that didn't work, before I knew it I was put on 600mg and so on and so forth when I informed them it still wasn't working. Due to the fact that I never noticed it helping much with the nerve pain and issue's I was taking it for, it did however make me feel spacey, odd, off, etc., I would only take it sporadically when I would get desperate. Well after my sugery I was upped to an insane amount of 600 mg 4x a day and after only approx a month of stopping it, I found myself experiencing withdrawals while on a VERY HIGH NARCOTIC DOSE!! At first I was mystified, and upset, as I hadn't yet made the connection. After doing some research, not only does gabapentin (Neurontin), cause withdrawal syndrome in patients who have been taking regular doses long term, high doses ie. 1800mg or higher, during a relatively shortterm therapy can cause it as well, and the withdrawal symptoms are VERY SIMILAR TO BENZO WITHDRAWAL, which I had faithfully steered clear of those class of drugs for that very reason! Benzodiazipines create some of the worst withdrawal symptoms there are paralleled only with SSRI's. Needless to say, I was extremely upset, and felt duped, lied to, cheated etc. NOTHING relieved the symptoms which for me started out almost a day later, contributing to the mystery of it, and being unsure of where they were coming from, with a horrible migraine, hot/cold flashes, goosebumps, sweats, gastriointestinal disturbances, and a host of other uncomfortable, scarey symptoms. The only thing that stopped the symptoms was taking the culprit. So, as I stated, just a word of caution for those of you who are taking it for one of the MANY off label rx's, nerve pain, migraines, anxiety, depression, and ironically it's even prescribed for withdrawal syndromes from opiates, etc. You can become dependant in a relatively short time on this med, and for me my tolerance to the med developed VERY RAPIDLY, as compared my narcotic prescriptions. BE CAREFUL PEOPLE. As i've experienced, and read on these forums over and over, no matter how much you trust, admire, respect your physcian, or pharmacist, KNOW YOUR MEDICATIONS!!! Read that pamphlet that most of us discard in the bag the medicines are handed to us. ASK THE PHARMACIST important questions, google it, and while I am in noone mean's trying to instill fear in patients, because the truth is, MOST of us will only experience mild side effects if any in most medications, a lot of medications do NOT cause withdrawal if taking as prescribed, however it us alway's good to know the risk's, and there is alway's the exception. WE AND WE ALONE are responsible for what we PUT INTO OUR BODIES. I am very sorry I have gotten far off the point, it just kills me to read over and over: I didn't know, I wasn't aware, I did what my doctor said, my doctor didn't tell me.....and then next thing you know people are strung out, worse off, etc. etc. and we blame the doctors. Sure I feel the doctor's, healthcare system, insurance companies, big Pharma, they ALL play a PART, but the bottom line is WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES! Most of us would never dream of putting a pill in our mouth that some stranger handed us off the street. Yet we do that same thing over and over when the person is wearing a white lab coat and a medical badge. We wouldn't DREAM of a stranger watching our children, yet we take our kid's to "strangers" to be treated daily. Just because one has a medical degree or background, as myself, does not mean they are experienced, knowledgable, trustworthy etc. I think I will start another thread with were this has went, because I realize I have went farther off the beaten path then I intended.
    This is one of the smartest posts I have EVER read on the internet. I think the same thing all the time. We need to take responsibility for our SELVES.
    Tracy Cummins

Ste73 is offline New Member

i was recently given Gabapentin incorrectly by my chemist instead of Pregabalin, i have been taking Pregabalin for about 5 years now as a pain killer to treat Motor Neurone Disease and i find it extremely effective but Gapapentin however made me seriously ill, i suffered excrutiating bowel pains, i had no appetite and suffered rapid weight loss, i was dizzy, vomiting and felt awful, eventually i went to my doctor who then pointed out that i had been given them incorrectly by the chemist,

Personally i would avoid gabapentin, awful drug, made me ill