Like Tree1Likes
How To Go Off Oxycontin?
    Redstring is offline New Member

Default How To Go Off Oxycontin?

Hi, I've been on pain management for roughly two years now. This past October I weaned down off of the Percocet I was prescribed and stayed off of it until the first week of January when I was put back on pain management. Two weeks ago my doctor put me on Oxycontin at a dosing of one 40mg tablet every 12 hours and Oxycodone 10mg tablets for breakthrough. Today I went to see him and I told him I didn't want to be on pain medication anymore because nothing really helped anymore. I just wanted to wean down off of it. He insisted that he wanted to take care of my pain and bumped the Oxycontin up to 60mg tablets. I'm only 23 years old and I don't want to take pain medication. I've hated it since the first time I took it and I don't want to continue on this path to destruction. The problem is I have no idea how to ease myself off the Oxycontin. Just going cold turkey isn't something I necessarily want to do because I have a really severe anxiety disorder as is so obviously that combined with the anxiety that happens when going cold turkey off pain medication would be horrifying for me. I have no idea what to do and when I tried to speak to my Mom tonight about it she just said, "Shut up and take the pain medication." Help?

Anonymous Guest

good on you for recognizing this is just going to be a downward slope...

you need to try and reduce your dose slowly, till you get to an amount you will be able to jump off... there is something called the THOMAS RECIPE FOR OPIATE WITHDRAWL. if you google it you will find it has a few things that help with wd.

for me, the main thing was the anxiety, and lack of sleep, so when it is time to jump off, see if you can get some benzos, they help you sleep. i went to my doctor, told him i was coming off suboxone and needed help to sleep. he obliged and gave me 14. i had to go back for more, he knows im an addict so wouldnt give me a whole load at once...

good luck to you..
    cheeky

casual is offline Junior Member

If I read your story right, you were on 40 mil oc every 12 hrs. Why when you tell the doc you want to quit, he bumps you up to 60 mil? THat doesn't make much sense to me on the docs part! Just wondering what you intend to do as the more you take the longer you'll be hooked.

Anonymous Guest

UGH !! I went thru the same thing...so how many 10 percs does he give you for break thru pain and how do you take your oxycontin,,, do you take the whole thing all at once w/out doing anything to it !!!
    your Right your only in your twenty's I can not believe they have you on all these meds...
    lets get you off of this cr@p
    Melinda

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casual View Post
    If I read your story right, you were on 40 mil oc every 12 hrs. Why when you tell the doc you want to quit, he bumps you up to 60 mil? THat doesn't make much sense to me on the docs part! Just wondering what you intend to do as the more you take the longer you'll be hooked.
    casual, i notice a few of your posts lack the kind of understanding an addict has for the situation.... a while back you were dissing people for being on 100mg as if it was silly, (just coz you got by on a tiny bit of methadone not everyone is the same) and now asking why a stupid doctor does that.
    who knows??
    thats how this thing works man, theres a whole load of UNEDUCATED doctors giving out pills to addicts, probably to shut them up. but rightfully so this young man can see its going to lead him down a spiral and he wants to get out...

please keep those kinds of judgements to yourself, they do no good at all.

REDSTRING, LISTEN TO MELINDA, SHE KNOWS HOW TO TAPER OFF PILLS..

GOOD LUCK

I'll say this cheeky, for the past two weeks I have dedicated at least 40 something hrs. of research on drugs, schedule 1 and 2, pretty interesting reading. It's all right here in front of us. It's amazing when I ask a drug addict the few I know, just how oblivious they are to any kind of drug knowledge. Probably they have logged 10 plus yrs. of there life on this ???? and have no clue. I highly recommend any one on here to do there own research and they'll have a better grasp of things. Your half way right about those M's, as w/d do keep coming back after going days without.

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    UGH !! I went thru the same thing...so how many 10 percs does he give you for break thru pain and how do you take your oxycontin,,, do you take the whole thing all at once w/out doing anything to it !!!
    your Right your only in your twenty's I can not believe they have you on all these meds...
    lets get you off of this cr@p
    Melinda
    Ok Melinda He gave me 60 of the 10mg breakthrough pills. I take one 60mg of the Oxycontin by mouth in the morning at 9am and one 60mg at 9pm. I'm not a drug abuser at all. I take the Oxycontin as they're meant to be taken. The thing that seems to be bad for me when I've gone off just Percocet in the past was if I dropped too much at once I would get this feel like someone was pulling my muscles. I guess restless muscles especially in my arms and my stomach. I never experienced bad nausea or anything like that. I have Klonopin right now too and I have Valium so as far as Benzos go I have plenty. I've only been taking 60mg Oxycontin Pills for 3 days now. So how do I do this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Redstring View Post
    Hi, I've been on pain management for roughly two years now. This past October I weaned down off of the Percocet I was prescribed and stayed off of it until the first week of January when I was put back on pain management. Two weeks ago my doctor put me on Oxycontin at a dosing of one 40mg tablet every 12 hours and Oxycodone 10mg tablets for breakthrough. Today I went to see him and I told him I didn't want to be on pain medication anymore because nothing really helped anymore. I just wanted to wean down off of it. He insisted that he wanted to take care of my pain and bumped the Oxycontin up to 60mg tablets. I'm only 23 years old and I don't want to take pain medication. I've hated it since the first time I took it and I don't want to continue on this path to destruction. The problem is I have no idea how to ease myself off the Oxycontin. Just going cold turkey isn't something I necessarily want to do because I have a really severe anxiety disorder as is so obviously that combined with the anxiety that happens when going cold turkey off pain medication would be horrifying for me. I have no idea what to do and when I tried to speak to my Mom tonight about it she just said, "Shut up and take the pain medication." Help?
    Hi Redstring. I am shocked by this, totally stunned! First of all, good for u for not wanting to be on the pain meds. I mean if u did and u really needed them, then fine, but u have stated your concern. I don't understand your doctor's logic at all. U may need to find a new doctor and tell him or her the situation and get u tapered off the Oxycontin. I am also shocked the doctor prescribed Oxycodone with the Oxycontin, two very powerful pain meds. You say u want to ease yourself off the path to destruction. Do u feel u are on that path right now? In other words, are u hooked on the Oxycontin? Most ppl that get hooked chew the pill and do not swallow it whole. That is what gives them the high. Taken orally, u get pain relief but not a mega high. Going cold turkey is dangerous, esp. if u have taken the drug on a regular basis, so u def. need to be weened off safely by someone that is going to listen to your needs. Sounds like this current doctor has no clue or logical options to treat pain besides prescribing pills. Pain meds should be used in conjuction with therapy or some outlined course of treatment for your pain.

As far as your anxiety goes, I can totally relate. I have panic disorder and have had it for 20 years. Get panic attacks and have been in therapy for it. Some meds have worked and some don't. I take Xanax as needed to halt severe panic attacks, and although it is a great drug for this, it is short acting and can be addicting, although I have never abused it, but many ppl do. All that said, there are longer acting benzodiazepine medications such as Valium, Klonopin, Dalmane, and a host of others that all fall into the same class as Xanax. U may need a benzo. to help u wean off the medcine in addition to taking lower doses. Your mom does not seem to realize what you are saying, which is sad, b/c it appears no-one is hearing your true thoughts and feelings. I am sorry, but do try to find another doctor if this doctor will not wean u off the Oxy, and also inquire about a benzo. like Xanax or Valium or Klonopin for short term use to help keep u calm and help take the edge off the withdrawals and allow u to sleep. Good luck and God Bless. Keep us posted on what happens.

No I have never taken any medication in any way other than the way they're supposed to be taken. When I said i was on the path to destruction I meant that my eyes have really really dark circles under them and I look horrible. I can just tell the toll this is taking on my body.

Default toll on your body

No I have never taken any medication in any way other than the way they're supposed to be taken. When I said i was on the path to destruction I meant that my eyes have really really dark circles under them and I look horrible. I can just tell the toll this is taking on my body.
    yeah, it will def. take a toll on your physically and mentally, esp. if u have been on it for awhile. Do try to see a doctor that will help you, seriously. U can't go cold turkey even if u are not abusing them. It is the type of drug u have to taper off, kind of like anti-depressants even though ppl usually don't abuse those. The side effects are too severe. There are good doctors out there willing to help u in a situation like this but finding one can be difficult and u don't want to go "doctor shopping" and spend all sorts of money until u get one that will assist u. Talk to anyone u know about his or her doctor, how good of a doctor he or she is, open-minded? and whether or not they have ever dealt with a problem like this. In fact, I once recommended a good friend of mine to a doctor that I knew for years and who was familiar with me. I told him I was going to refer a friend in for medical help because he needed to switch from secobarbital over to a longer acting benzo. medicine in order to prevent withdrawal. I even went to the appt. with him to reassure my doctor that he was not an addict but a victim of poor doctoring from his doctor. My doctor weened him off properly over 4 weeks, and he never got sick. If all else fails, u can always go to the ER and they can treat u there and help u ween. Most ER doctors will do this, esp. if u explain to them that u are not an addict but u want off the medicine safely and your doctor is ignoring your request for whatever strange reason. They may contact your doctor to see why he is not listening to u and either make him take care of the problem immediately by calling in a script with instructions on how to taper or ER can instruct u on what to do.

I really hope there is someone that can help u with this. It scares me to think how severe an Oxycontin withdrawal is. I hear it is not pleasant, and similar to a severe alcoholic withdrawal except it lasts longer and can really mess up your body and make you sick. Please take care of yourself, and if and when u do find a doctor or if u decide to return to your current doctor to rexplain what u want, be sure he or she understands YOUR NEEDS and what makes u feel comfortable. Bring up your anxiety, because this will be an issue regardless if u taper or not. Ask for a benzo. drug such as Valium, Klonopin, Dalmane, Ativan, or even Xanax and just tell them u only want it for a short period of time so u don't "jump out of your skin" and battle insomnia, which is real severe with any drug withdrawal.

If I can help in any way or u just need someone to talk to in order to vent, feel free to give me a shout. U can call me T, that is my nickname and what my friends call me. I live in the great state of Texas and I am a writer, but I have a psyc. degree (I might have mentioned this already. I am not a doctor, but I could be one since I am a walking encyclopedia of medications and am very familiar with the DSM manuals which cover psyc. medicines, but I also know alot about other medications and drugs, both legal and illegal, side effects, risks, damage potential, rumors, myths, and facts), and I am probably going to get my LCDC (License Chemical Dependency Counselor) license so I can engage in group therapy and help others. I know alot about all sorts of meds, interactions, and I have street experience with drug abuse I went though in my past and conquered after a long battle, so I know what it is like to be hooked or think u might be getting hooked or fearing what a drug is doing to your body and soul. Talk to u soon, and God Bless!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-16-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add a comment

Ok Melinda He gave me 60 of the 10mg breakthrough pills. I take one 60mg of the Oxycontin by mouth in the morning at 9am and one 60mg at 9pm. I'm not a drug abuser at all. I take the Oxycontin as they're meant to be taken. The thing that seems to be bad for me when I've gone off just Percocet in the past was if I dropped too much at once I would get this feel like someone was pulling my muscles. I guess restless muscles especially in my arms and my stomach. I never experienced bad nausea or anything like that. I have Klonopin right now too and I have Valium so as far as Benzos go I have plenty. I've only been taking 60mg Oxycontin Pills for 3 days now. So how do I do this? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Well lets see three days at 120 mil a day, plus the breakthrough pills that you wont even be taken as they wont be strong enough and he will give you the roxies, then soon you will need the 80's, better stop now why your ahead. Haven't you seen what these things can do to you and how hard it is to stop? By the way, why take a 60 at night just to stay a wake? That makes no sense. Why not ask for the more stronger opiates so you wont need so much? Hypothetically. It seems to me if you want help you need to find another doc. and listen to the experts on this forum that have been where your going. Me I'm not any good at advice and never claimed to have been. Not to be taken seriously as one poster said.

Anonymous Guest

casual, if you knew anything about tapering you would understand why melinda asked about the 10mg pills for breakthru...

coz these are the pills he will be able to use to taper off with.....

do you get it now...??

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    casual, if you knew anything about tapering you would understand why melinda asked about the 10mg pills for breakthru...

coz these are the pills he will be able to use to taper off with.....

do you get it now...??
    I tried to respond to this but my post 's got deleted. Breakthrus... are for immediate effect I would assume and not for tapering. Most people receive percs or roxies with there oxy's and some all three.

sweetsusan935 is offline New Member

Default Weaning off of Oxy

Dear Redskin,I applaud you for the desire to get off of Oxycontin. I think I would only take this drug,if I was dying or had extreme,unbearable pain. 9 years ago,a Dr.gave me oxycontin for severe headaches,caused from pseudotumor cerebri. I started out slow,like you,but within a month,the dr.was bumping me up. i think a person builds tolerance fairly quickly with Oxy. Anyhow,by 6 months,I was taking 4,40's 3x a day,with morphine es for breakthrough pain. I can't believe I could even function!I would nod off,slur my words,etc. (but my pain was gone) and felt it was proper(because a Dr. prescribed them).It became a nightmare. I am not an addict,but my life,pretty much went downhill. My husband divorced me,my son stole my meds,and is now an opiate addict,and all because I believed a Dr. and wanted to alleviate pain. I woke up one morning,sick of being in a stupor,and with God's help,weaned myself off of Oxy. It took almost a year,but went thru no withdrawls. Cut back,one pill at a time,and then tapered to 20mgs,and went through the same taper. Completely off,when I got down to one 20 mg. Never again. Please,whoever is on this drug,to weigh the benefits >> this powerful drug. The best to you,young man. Sounds as if you have a good head on your shoulders. God bless,Susan