Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By MaisieC
  • 1 Post By MaisieC
  • 1 Post By chicusmc05
If I take prescribed tramadol daily, will it make hydro/oxy not work anymore?
    tsiehta eht is offline New Member

Default If I take prescribed tramadol daily, will it make hydro/oxy not work anymore?

SKIP TO BOTTOM OF MY POST FOR CLIFFNOTES IF FULL POST IS TOO LONG FOR YOU TO READ! THANKS!

Hello everyone, first post here.

Okay, so basically here is my situation and my question:

Situation: I have had chronic severe stabbing pains in my pelvic area (genitals mainly, believe it or not... what luck I have...) for quite a long time now (over a year) and though I have them basically every single day, some days are much worse than others. The doctors have not been able to figure out what is causing the stabbing pains, and so I still have them. So in the meantime while they try to find the cause, I asked if I could see a pain management doctor so that I don't have to suffer as much while they fiddle around trying to figure out how to cure the cause of the pain itself.

Pain killing history: Okay, so I have actually been playing it very cautious so far with pain killers. Over the past year, I have only been prescribed one single bottle of 5mg percocet and one single bottle on 5mg vicodin. I have only used about two thirds of each bottle so far, so I average less than one pill per week, since it has been only about 35-40 pills that I've taken so far, total, in a little over a year, and I never took pain killers prior to all this, ever.

Random interesting sidenote btw: At equal doses (they are both 5mg tablets), vicodin seems to kill the pain better for me than percocet does. Which is strange, since, from what I understand, percocet is normally supposed to be considerably stronger than vicodin at equal dosage, not the other way around. But for me it's backwards. This doesn't really relate to anything, just thought it was something weird to mention.

Anyways: So basically, I have intentionally tried to only use the vicodin or percocet on my absolute worst days, so once every week or so, and not take any on the other days. This means that I am in a lot of pain every day, but, on the days when it is just totally unbearable pain, I am able to take a pain killer and have it ACTUALLY WORK. Since I have not really built any tolerance to it yet, due to intentionally not taking it as often as I might feel I "need to" (which would be every day).

So: As you can see, I am EXTREEEEMELY tolerance-o-phobic. This is because I know how utterly ridiculously bad my physical pain can get, on a really bad day, so I have a HUUUUGE fear of building up a tolerance to opiates rendering them ineffective, leaving me with no way of reducing my pain on the really bad days, short of asking a neighbor to knock me unconscious with a sledge hammer or something. I really want to try to keep it where when I take a pain killer, it is actually effective. I do not want to build up a tolerance any time soon, because I have no idea how many years or decades it'll be before they can cure me of my severe stabbing pains.

Okay so I went to my pain management doctor finally for the first time this week, and told him all about what's been going on with me. He decided to put me on one 50mg nortryptiline per day (mild antidepressant with mild analgesic side effects) along with 50mg tramadol 3 times a day, so 150mg of tramadol per day total, spread out every 6 hours or whatever.

Now, here's my question:

If I am taking 50mg of tramadol, three times a day, for many weeks, if not several months, and thus obviously will build up quite a tolerance to the tramadol, which is an opioid, will this mean that if, let's say I have more pain after I stop taking tramadol, that if I try taking a 5mg percocet or 5mg vicodin, later on, after I'm no longer using tramadol, some months down the road, that I will no longer get any pain killing effect out of vicodin or percocet, due to tolerance I built to tramadol in the months past?

Cuz I really don't want to take tramadol daily, if it means that I will no longer be able to use vicodin or percocet in the future to control my pain on my worst days. That scares me, because I have heard that tramadol can only reduce medium pain, but that the most extremely severe pain can only be helped by the "real stuff" (aka morphine, vicodin, percocet etc). So I want to know if me taking tramadol dailu for a couple months will make me immune to the effects of vicodin/percocet in the future after that.

Thanks. Sorry for making the post so long. I guess I'll write cliffnotes for those who don't want to read the whole thing:

Cliffnotes:

- I have severe stabbing pains every day

- Some days are much worse than other days

- I have a super bad day about once a week, so I only take vicodin about once per week, on my worst day, so that it is actually EFFECTIVE when I use it, due to not building up a quick tolerance to it by taking it every day.

- I love the fact that vicodin is actually able to significantly lower my pain when I do take it, and I do NOT want to jeopardize this with the tramadol I have been prescribed for daily use

- My doctor prescribed me 50mg tramadol tablets to be used daily, 3 times per day.

- Will my 3-a-day daily use of 50mg tramadols for a month or two make me not be able to have any effect from vicodin/percocet (I use only 5mg of vicodin/percocet and I'd like to have them be effective at this low dosage for as long as I can), or, will I still get a decent pain killing effect out of the vic/perc's even after using tramadol daily like this for a few months prior?

thanks!

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope the doctors can figure out what's causing the pain and solve the problem.

In the mean time.... As you know, tramadol is in the same class of drugs as percocet and vicodin. So during the period of time you're on the tramadol regularly, it will make those other drugs less effective. But I understand you're not planning to take them all at once. After you've been off the tramadol for a while, it won't have any long-term effect on the usefulness of percocet and vicodin. Tolerance doesn't work that way, or at least I've never heard of that happening. I can't really tell you how long you'll have to be clean off the tramadol to get the full effect of the other drugs, but I would guess a few weeks.

Do be careful with the tramadol, though. It is addictive, though many doctors still believe it's not. You can get the same sort of withdrawal symptoms when you come off tramadol as when you come off any other opioid. You're likely going to be dependent on it after that extended period of 3 a day (yes, that's a low dose, and yes, it will build dependence at that dose). I'm not suggesting you shouldn't take it, just urging you to go in with your eyes open. You have to do what you have to do in order to deal with your pain.

Good luck, and take care.

Maisie
    luvy298 and lynannm like this.

peanut30 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaisieC View Post
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope the doctors can figure out what's causing the pain and solve the problem.

In the mean time.... As you know, tramadol is in the same class of drugs as percocet and vicodin. So during the period of time you're on the tramadol regularly, it will make those other drugs less effective. But I understand you're not planning to take them all at once. After you've been off the tramadol for a while, it won't have any long-term effect on the usefulness of percocet and vicodin. Tolerance doesn't work that way, or at least I've never heard of that happening. I can't really tell you how long you'll have to be clean off the tramadol to get the full effect of the other drugs, but I would guess a few weeks.

Do be careful with the tramadol, though. It is addictive, though many doctors still believe it's not. You can get the same sort of withdrawal symptoms when you come off tramadol as when you come off any other opioid. You're likely going to be dependent on it after that extended period of 3 a day (yes, that's a low dose, and yes, it will build dependence at that dose). I'm not suggesting you shouldn't take it, just urging you to go in with your eyes open. You have to do what you have to do in order to deal with your pain.

Good luck, and take care.

Maisie

are you a doctor? I don't think this information is correct. Tramadol is a novel, central-acting synthetic opioid with weak mu-opioid activity, and is approved for treatment of moderate to moderately severe pain in adults. It is addictive but it's not as addictive as other opiates.

The FDA's considered decision to not schedule tramadol as a controlled substance implies its abuse risk to the general population is low in comparison to its novel analgesic benefit.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-15-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Jules222 is offline New Member

Cool Tramadol Addictive

Quote Originally Posted by peanut30 View Post
    are you a doctor? I don't think this information is correct. Tramadol is a novel, central-acting synthetic opioid with weak mu-opioid activity, and is approved for treatment of moderate to moderately severe pain in adults. It is addictive but it's not as addictive as other opiates.

The FDA's considered decision to not schedule tramadol as a controlled substance implies its abuse risk to the general population is low in comparison to its novel analgesic benefit.
    I've heard that Tramadol isn't addictive and I tend to agree. My doctor told me. Plus, I've stopped taking it cold turkey and had no effects whatsoever. I never take more than 50mg 3x a day. But I take it along with generic Percocet. It seems to boost the 5mg Percocet's affects on the pain. I have a lot of pain--my back, legs, sciatica, and glute pain. At times intolerable. I have psoriatic arthritis of the spine and other back problems. What I have heard is that no one should take tramadol with valium because you can have a seizure. Has anyone heard this? In the U.S. the FDA is thinking of taking Percocet with acetametaphin (sp?) off the market. The alternative is oxycodone CR, 5 mgs. I've tried this but it gave me headaches. Oh, well. If I never saw a pill again, I'd be in heaven. I hate taking all these drugs but the pain is worse.

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

No, I'm not a doctor, but I am well informed about this drug.

Peanut, the text you posted is simply cut and pasted from another Web site. Do you have any experience with this medication? I see that my use of the word "class" was confusing: I wasn't referring to the government's classification; I was simply saying that tramadol is an opioid just as percocet and vicodin are. Personally I don't care much what the government says; there's a long list of drugs that were approved by the FDA and then withdrawn after proving to be deadly. All you need to do is browse around this board to see the misery that tramadol addiction can cause.

If you're looking for a doctor's opinion, here is an excerpt from a letter to the Journal of Family Practice:

"In the treatment arena we see staggering amounts of Ultracet and tramadol addiction, with patients popping up to 30 or 40 pills daily to fill an ever-expanding mureceptor void. Many of these fall into the addiction innocently because, and I quote, "My doctor told me that these were safe!" Far from it. The tramadol mu activity is considerable in the opiate-naive patient, and even more so in the recovering opiate addict. The phenomenon of 'reinstatement,' where any activity at the receptor level triggers old drug-seeking behavior, is well documented, and should be avoided at all costs, especially given the broad nonopiate choices available to our patients in need, including the highly effective neural modulators (such as Neurontin, Depakote, and Trazodone) and NSAID/ COX-2 families."
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-22-2011 at 10:50 PM.
    luvy298 likes this.

chicusmc05 is offline New Member

Default tramadol addiction

Quote Originally Posted by peanut30 View Post

WELL guess you know better than people on tramadol huh? I am hooked on the ???? and trying to get off. Yes tramadol is addictive just like any other opioid, though the high is different that demand to feed more opiates remains the same
    luvy298 likes this.

chicusmc05 is offline New Member

I am hooked on the stuff and trying to get off. Yes tramadol is addictive just like any other opioid, though the high is different that demand to feed more opiates remains the same
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-18-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by chicusmc05 View Post
    I am hooked on the ???? and trying to get off. Yes tramadol is addictive just like any other opioid, though the high is different that demand to feed more opiates remains the same

How much tramadol have you been taking and for how long? The high is different from other opioids due to the antidepressant effects of the trams. We can help you if you provide some more specific information about your situation. God bless.

JessElls is offline New Member

Default Just a thought

I don't really know all that much about Pain killers, but I do know that there are certain muscles that can cause pain in the groin area. They are necessairly in the groin area. I'd suggest seeing a massage therapist for it, more specifically one that deals with trigger points, any massage therapist should have knowledge of them, but some therapist have more knowledge than others when it comes to trigger points and how to locate them more efficiently . But like I said it’s just a suggestion, you might have already figured out what the problem was, but at least then you won’t have to worry about the pain, if that is really all that the problem is. Good luck.

P.S. I'm a massage therapist, so that's how I know that. Again good luck.

lynannm is offline New Member

Exclamation Be very aware of all opiod meds

I am just turning 43 and have been in pain as long as i can remember. severe disc problems,fybro,and now R.A. I have been on just about every pain med. opiod and non. being uneducated(about the meds) and fully trusting my doctor, I found myself at 25 roxicodone, 4- 10mg.valium and 4- somas aday. Now I know that was total INSANITY! Go figure, doc is in jail now.Found myself totally dependant. It was the LONGEST, MOST painful struggleI have EVER faced. I managed to get thru it alive! SO EVERYONE-PLEASE,PLEASE educate yourself prior to taking any meds. Even if they say they have a low dependency rate,get all the info you can. .Best of luck and God bless