narcotic pain medication almost killed me
    lori0615 is offline New Member

Default narcotic pain medication almost killed me

Hi,
    I have been on pain meds for about 4 years and just this April I almost died.I woke up in ICU with a tube down my throat. Anyone else have this happen but must still be on pain meds cause of their condition. One more thing I also have severe asthma, which I know makes thw meds worse for me.

Thanks for any advice,
    Lori

thought I would add in here what i am currently taking. im on 20mg oxycotin twice a day with 15mg oxycodone for breakthrough pain up to every 4 hours with baclofen for muscle relaxer. currently only need 3 halfs of that medication but can take 3 a day if needed.

my dr wants to increase the oxycotin while decreasing the oxycodone instant release. Has anyone went through that. The dr seems to think i will have less issues with using oxycotin.

Has anyone had more success that way?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Yes for me the OxyContin worked a lot better than the short acting oxycodone. I was better off on a higher dose of OxyContin and not taking any breakthrough meds but that might be different for other people. For me the short acting breakthrough meds just made me feel unstable through the day.

Not sure why you woke up with a tube down your throat. You mention asthma. Did it have anything to do with your meds? If it was an overdose, I think you are safer with just OxyContin and no short acting. If it was an allergic reaction then I would think you'd have to avoid whatever caused it completely. If it were an asthma attack it may have had nothing to do with your meds. In any case I think you should trust your doctor for this and go ahead and try his recommendation.

i was on extended and instant release morphine when it happened. due to asthma i was told the meds could have made things worse. One dr told me he thinks it might have just been the perfect storm. When the parmedics came I was given a medication to reverse narcotics and my breathing didn't improve at all.

I have no breathing issues now. they also changed my long term inhealer trying to better control asthma.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Ah, yes. Does not sound like an allergic reaction nor was it an overdose, but if you have any kind of breathing crisis, morphine in the system isn't going to help. The doctor sounds like he knows what he's doing. I'd be comfortable following his advice.