Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By shrimpboat 1942
  • 2 Post By Robert_325
  • 2 Post By JimNeedsHelp
  • 1 Post By mikenice33
one percocet after 12 days clean .. now what ??
  1. #1
    JimNeedsHelp is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Question one percocet after 12 days clean .. now what ??

    I was on percocet 10mg for 8 months @ 3x per day. i have been clean for 12 days until 15 minutes ago when i took the last pill that i was saving for an emergency. i was in severe back pain (unrelated to hyperalgesia induced by withdrawal) and couldnt stand the suffering any longer (i had already taken 1600 mg of ibuprofen today and the last dose made me sick). as far as withdrawal, i was at the point where the physical part was over, accept an ever decreasing, but still present nocturnal sweating, a bit left of hyperalgesia, and mild insomnia. last night i got 6 solid hours no problems. my question is simple. how far back will this one pill knock me in terms of withdrawal? i expect maybe my insomnia will be set back a few nights since my sleep has not fully returned yet, but will any other symptoms return? bad ones for me, and those that im most concerned with, are hyperalgesia and rls, both of which i got over (90%) only a couple days ago.
    btw, i had a previous morphine sulfate addiction of 3.5 years up until a few years ago. at the time i quit i was prescribed 2x 100mg per day. the hyperalgesia and night sweating i experienced this time were at least as bad as they were that time, which i was suprised by since duration and dose were considerably higher previously. perhaps it does get harder each time like they say.

    https://www.drugs.com/answers/448224/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    322

    Exclamation No set back if ONLY one.

    If you do not take another opiate, then that ONE pill should not cause a set back.

    BUT--if that one pill leads to another and another, then you're in trouble.

    Think of that one pill as a dinosaur egg--it's just one baby ogre. Crush it and it's not problem. But a whole nest of dinosaur eggs will hatch into a whole herd of monsters.

    Don't Panic about one--but be very aware of the sleeping monster of addiction you may have awakened, that may lay more eggs for you to fight. On guard, please. Don't lose what you have earned.

    Actually the hyperalgesia lasted quite a bit past the actual withdrawal time in me and others. Receptors take months to restabilize, not days. Treat them kindly. They are your friends.
    primetimegrape likes this.

  3. #3
    JimNeedsHelp is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    that was my last pill and i have no intention of taking another.

    today i feel oddly groggy and my mind is cloudy. i didnt expect that.

    i can definately say that i now have a greater appreciation for the clarity of mind abstinence has recently provided me.

    overall i do not feel like myself and wish i had just bit the bullet and took the pain.

    you are right about receptors being our friends. i wish i had not tricked them like this. hopefully they arent too confused and will reestablish their path of healing without any problems.

    thx for the reply

    ~jim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    322

    Thumbs up Cool!

    You did good!

    Remember this event! It will be a talisman if you're ever tempted again.

  5. #5
    JimNeedsHelp is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    thx shrimpboat

    I feel better and better as the day goes on. my mind finally feels clear again. Its been 23 hours and so far i dont have any unusual pain levels or rls, of which i am very grateful. However, last time the real pain didnt start until the 2nd day so. As far as sleep goes, i guess we will have to wait and see how i sleep tonight. Im expecting 5 hours, which is quite ok with me. Btw, last night i slept horribly. The experience was contrary to what i expected. In fact getting a solid 8+ hours sleep was something i was REALLY looking forward to. I kept fantasizing about how restful my sleep was going to be. I was even tired when i went to bed, but i just couldnt fall asleep to save my life. I didnt really sleep ok until the last half of the night.

  6. #6
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,118

    Default

    JIm,

    Sleep was the very, very last thing to return to anything near "normal" for me. I was a very long term abuser, +20 yrs. For weeks, (felt like years) after getting clean c/t I went nites with zero sleep, others for a couple of hours followed by wide awake for several hours and then lucky to catch a very fitful hour in wee small hrs before I just gave up and got up for the day. It took me a couple of weeks to just give up that fight. It was very odd that the lack of sleep didn't leave me useless during the day. I continued to work long very productive days and spent restless nights reading or watching old movies. I just gave up on it and accepted it. At least I saved myself that frustration. Little by little sleep habits improved to what is my "normal" and that for me is around 5-6 hours. Days away from 20 months clean and I'm not complaining about sleep. I still have sleepness nights but then, even non-addicts have bad nights just like they have bad days. We just became all too used to using an alternate method to avoid them. This, my friend is a part of life.

    One pill, no harm. Just don't use that as an A-Okay to do that every now and again. That is playing with fire. If you are honest with yourself, I bet you even know that if you had another, it would also be gone or would be real soon. Don't put that temptation anywhere near you. Almost 20 months for me and the sight of pills will give me anxiety. Lack of trust in myself or looking into the eyes of the Devil. Not sure and don't care. No thanks!

    Peace,

    Cat

  7. #7
    JimNeedsHelp is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    thx cat

    youre right ofc. its a slippery slope indeed. last time i quit i never dealt with cravings even though my withdrawal was very intense. i was all about a positive attitude last time and wanted to be free of the meds more than anything else on earth. i dont have the same attitude this time around and thus i dont have the same strength, so taking them here and there is not something i consider an option, not that it was last time. i do understand that its really an all or nothing deal, and i intend to keep it that way. plz understand tho that i really didnt take that pill for recreational purposes. that being said, i do recognize that i have it in me to abuse meds for all the wrong reasons. I have abused drugs and alcohol throughout my life. i quit drinking and smoking a few years ago as well, and i have been clean of both ever since.

    btw, last time it took me 2-3 months before my sleep was normal again. That part is much easier this time. The hyperalgesia (i think .. was a few years ago after all) and night sweats are just as bad though. Only a couple nights ago did i finally stop sweating enough to warrant not sleeping on a towel.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-05-2011 at 06:49 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    129

    Default one pill, no problem...unless

    One pill is remember only "one" pill, but like Shrimpboat stated if that one pill leads to another then the dominoes fall and u fall with them. U should be fine as far as setback withdrawals go. Unfortunately with any withdrawal, regular sleep is the last thing that returns. It can literally drive u "mad", but your sleep will come back. I don't think u need a benzo. like Valium or something b/c it seems u made it through the worst of the physical stuff, and although I am not a doctor, having a psyc. degree and Panic Disorder, the benzos. are "wonder" drugs that can really help with anxiety and panic and are alot safer than the old school barbituates that used to be prescribed before benzos. came out. That said, benzos. come with their own addiction potential, but long acting ones are good for tapering in my opinion under proper medical supervision, but u should not need anything of the sort in that category by now.

    If sleep is still your main problem, there are some OTC meds like Melotonin and Sominex that might help. Sominex is like benadryl without drying up your sinus passages and has the same active ingredient and those have always made me sleepy if I ever needed one, and that is rare. Best of luck to u. Sounds like u are doing good overall. Just hang in there. God Bless!

  9. #9
    Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,748

    Default

    Jim ..... one pill after twelve days clean is exactly that. It's one pill. Not minimizing it but blow it off and move on with your recovery. It's not the end of the world if you learned from it. This is a process not an event! You still have the same recovery you had before you messed up and took the pill. Now you know better. Remember that we are all pickles, we can never be cucumbers again! God bless.

  10. #10
    JimNeedsHelp is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by primetimegrape View Post
    One pill is remember only "one" pill, but like Shrimpboat stated if that one pill leads to another then the dominoes fall and u fall with them. U should be fine as far as setback withdrawals go. Unfortunately with any withdrawal, regular sleep is the last thing that returns. It can literally drive u "mad", but your sleep will come back. I don't think u need a benzo. like Valium or something b/c it seems u made it through the worst of the physical stuff, and although I am not a doctor, having a psyc. degree and Panic Disorder, the benzos. are "wonder" drugs that can really help with anxiety and panic and are alot safer than the old school barbituates that used to be prescribed before benzos. came out. That said, benzos. come with their own addiction potential, but long acting ones are good for tapering in my opinion under proper medical supervision, but u should not need anything of the sort in that category by now.

    If sleep is still your main problem, there are some OTC meds like Melotonin and Sominex that might help. Sominex is like benadryl without drying up your sinus passages and has the same active ingredient and those have always made me sleepy if I ever needed one, and that is rare. Best of luck to u. Sounds like u are doing good overall. Just hang in there. God Bless!
    yes i have messed with benzos before. when i quit drinking (was heavy drinker) i took them for a couple weeks. i also took them for about a week when i quit morphine. this time i took ambien for 5 nights. people said dont do it, that it would extend the insomnia related to withdrawal, but for me its benefits heavily outweighed the risks and im glad i took it. I toss and turn a lot, and my sleep quality isnt what it used to be, but ive been down this road, so i dont despair over it. I know it will get better in time. and ty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Jim ..... one pill after twelve days clean is exactly that. It's one pill. Not minimizing it but blow it off and move on with your recovery. It's not the end of the world if you learned from it. This is a process not an event! You still have the same recovery you had before you messed up and took the pill. Now you know better. Remember that we are all pickles, we can never be cucumbers again! God bless.
    thx for the pep talk robert. it sure helped me feel better about what i did. and thx for the smile. ima try and hold onto that pickle quote for future reference. i like it

  11. #11
    Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12,748

    Default

    Jim ..... If you read around the forum you'll find the oldtimers around here use the pickle cliche all the time. LOL We've even talked about having t-shirts made with the words on the back and a "pickle man" on the front. It's the truth though if you think about it. We just can't take pills for fun anymore. I used to take 25-30 30mg Roxis a day plus all kinds of other garbage and used for 35 years. Now after being clean nine plus years later I don't like opiates anymore. I detest them, they are the devil. Stay clean long enough and that will happen to you too but it doesn't happen in a couple weeks. I couldn't speak in complete sentences for three months when I got clean in rehab the first time. And one rehab trip did not work for me either. I was very hard headed, I was going to keep getting high until it almost killed me several times. Like I said it's a process and you learn more about yourself every day. Don't give up, wait long enough and the miracle will happen if you allow it to. I'm here if I can help you. God bless.
    InnerSpirit and despirate like this.

  12. #12
    JimNeedsHelp is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    yeah i was clean almost 2.5 years at the time i got this little script for percocet. i certainly wouldnt say i thought the devil of opiates, i just didnt think anything at all about them at the time i got the script. i think thats where the problem started. basically my apathy allowed me to slip back into addiction. a year or more before and there is no way i would have allowed myself to get another script for opiates. since i now have tangible experience with relapse, hopefully i can avoid ever making this mistake again.

    pickle quote is awesome
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-05-2011 at 08:43 PM.

  13. #13
    JimNeedsHelp is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7

    Default

    everything worked out .. noticably better now than i was a week ago .. thx guys ..

    if you decide to get clean please dont give up ..

    it does get better .. so dont despair .. accept your suffering for what it is and keep tough ..

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimNeedsHelp View Post
    everything worked out .. noticably better now than i was a week ago .. thx guys ..

    if you decide to get clean please dont give up ..

    it does get better .. so dont despair .. accept your suffering for what it is and keep tough ..

    Good 4 U Jim!! Love that positive attitude!! God Bless!

  15. #15
    mikenice33 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hate to bump an old thread, hopefully somebody responds though. I've been clean of a bad oxy habit for 30 days now. Still having trouble sleeping but its way better then it has been. Legs are hurting really bad today and was thinking of taking 10mg of oxycodone tonight to try and relieve the pain in my legs and hopefully help with sleep a little. Very confused if I should do this or not the pain is bad but not to the point I would absolutely NEED to take oxy to feel better. Basically my question is this. If I take 10mg tonight will that set me back? Will it bring all my physical withdrawal symptoms? Very scared of that, these last 3-4 weeks of getting cleaned has scared me so much that I will NEVER fall back into that habit. Not a chance. If I take this 10mg tonight before bed will I regret it?
    Catrina likes this.

  16. #16
    Sing me to sleep is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Did you go back into dts?

  17. #17
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikenice33 View Post
    Hate to bump an old thread, hopefully somebody responds though. I've been clean of a bad oxy habit for 30 days now. Still having trouble sleeping but its way better then it has been. Legs are hurting really bad today and was thinking of taking 10mg of oxycodone tonight to try and relieve the pain in my legs and hopefully help with sleep a little. Very confused if I should do this or not the pain is bad but not to the point I would absolutely NEED to take oxy to feel better. Basically my question is this. If I take 10mg tonight will that set me back? Will it bring all my physical withdrawal symptoms? Very scared of that, these last 3-4 weeks of getting cleaned has scared me so much that I will NEVER fall back into that habit. Not a chance. If I take this 10mg tonight before bed will I regret it?
    I think if you take those 10mg tonight it would be a mistake. It won't set you all the way back physically, but mentally it will do some damage and I really do think that you will regret it. I know that each time I was able to successfully complete a cold turkey detox, I swore that I'd never fall back into the trap. Notice I said "each time"? That's because in spite of "knowing" that this time I would never relapse and go through detox again, I did and I did it over and over. I would tell myself that I could handle it and control my use. I couldn't.

    I do understand how taxing it is to be tired and uncomfortable but the very best way to move forward is to NOT take anything addictive. You are sooooo close to leveling out and being able to get back some good sleep patterns that it would be a shame to interrupt your progress. Instead, put some clean sheets on your bed and open a window to let some fresh air into your room, take a hot bath and soak some of those aches away, put on your favorite pajamas, sweat pants, or your most comfortable night clothes. Do you have any Sleepy Time Tea, valarian root or melatonin? If you do, make a really strong cup of the tea and take some valarian or melatonin to help you relax and a couple of Aleve or Ibuprofen for the pain in your legs. Use a heating pad set on low and place it under your legs or do your best to wrap it around your legs. Is it your calves that ache? That's always what bothered me the most but I used two heating pads and they really did help.

    You should start your own thread. Reading and posting on this Forum is one of the things that helped me the most. After nearly 20 years of abusing opiates, I am now over 7 years clean. There were times that I was using nearly 300mg/day and when I jumped this last time I was using around 200mg/day. I hope you decide to not take those pills tonight or ever. You're going to feel much better soon. Have faith.

    Peace,

    Cat

  18. #18
    Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    I think if you take those 10mg tonight it would be a mistake. It won't set you all the way back physically, but mentally it will do some damage and I really do think that you will regret it. I know that each time I was able to successfully complete a cold turkey detox, I swore that I'd never fall back into the trap. Notice I said "each time"? That's because in spite of "knowing" that this time I would never relapse and go through detox again, I did and I did it over and over. I would tell myself that I could handle it and control my use. I couldn't.

    I do understand how taxing it is to be tired and uncomfortable but the very best way to move forward is to NOT take anything addictive. You are sooooo close to leveling out and being able to get back some good sleep patterns that it would be a shame to interrupt your progress. Instead, put some clean sheets on your bed and open a window to let some fresh air into your room, take a hot bath and soak some of those aches away, put on your favorite pajamas, sweat pants, or your most comfortable night clothes. Do you have any Sleepy Time Tea, valarian root or melatonin? If you do, make a really strong cup of the tea and take some valarian or melatonin to help you relax and a couple of Aleve or Ibuprofen for the pain in your legs. Use a heating pad set on low and place it under your legs or do your best to wrap it around your legs. Is it your calves that ache? That's always what bothered me the most but I used two heating pads and they really did help.

    You should start your own thread. Reading and posting on this Forum is one of the things that helped me the most. After nearly 20 years of abusing opiates, I am now over 7 years clean. There were times that I was using nearly 300mg/day and when I jumped this last time I was using around 200mg/day. I hope you decide to not take those pills tonight or ever. You're going to feel much better soon. Have faith.

    Peace,

    Cat
    Hey Cat, I'm assuming you didn't notice/realize but the post you responded to is a couple years old. Just a heads up?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22