Questions with withdraw from short term to long term Xanax, Methadone, Norco
    eli traminsky is offline New Member

Default Questions with withdraw from short term to long term Xanax, Methadone, Norco

So I've spent quite some time wandering the net and having most of my inquiries answered. Though, I have more specific questions that I haven't really found an answer for, its very specific to my condition. I've been on light to med. doses of hydrocodone (norco 50-60mg per day) for several years; when I do run out of my dose before re-fills, I'll take some Methadone (2.5mg) for a couple days (no more than maybe 3-5 days). This has occured maybe 3 times. I would take fewer norcos and only take 2.5mg methadone/day at the same time til refill came. I also began taking Xanax for only sleep (.5mg) for around 6 months (I know this is dangerous while taking methadone but only did it a few times); I stopped the benzo for a few more months without any WD, but continued to take Hydrocodone during that period (maybe norcos masked benzo WD?).

I decided all of this is too much and wanted to be clear of all this. So I decided to taper my norco using methadone; I know many people say this is throwing gasoline on fire, but I strictly use it to reduce cravings and WD symptoms. Methadone never got me high and I never chased it. I went on a four day Methadone regime of one dose each morning of (2.5mg) while I slowly cut down my norco intake a pill each day (give or take). Before I started this detox, I started to take Xanax again and had been for about two weeks, again I know this can be lethal (again just to sleep and only .5mg). So the first thing to stop was the norco (now I'm on day 5 of being clean) and then the methadone (now day 3 of being clean) and then Xanax (now day 3 of being clean). My WD weren't too insane because I started using using Kratom to help my transition (I understand the cross-tolerance risks but I figured if I wish to WD from any of these four things, Kratom is the lesser of all evils) I started Kratom on Day 3 Norco Free, 24 hours after my LAST methadone, and Day 2 of being Xanax Free ( I didn't taper) . I had trouble sleeping one night so I took some ambien (low dose), used neurontin one night (300mg), but overall Kratom has helped reduce most of my symptoms. I obviously am having trouble sleeping but I can't tell if the sleep is from the Norco or Xanax WD. I know there are long term PAWS from going CT on Xanax but not as much on Opiates. Just today I started getting extreme anxiety even on Kratom.

So to reiterate Today I am clean of Norco (day 5), Methadone (day 3), Xanax (day 3).

here are my questions:

Since, I never really needed Xanax besides for sleep and was able to stop for about 3 days without any dangerous withdraws (no seizures or anything) Should I be okay to take a small dose to help me sleep? I started to have really bad anxiety today, so I took some neurontin with .15mg xanax to aid the sleep. I continue to get some strong anxiety but I dont know if this is from the Methadone since I know methadone symptoms peak on day 3 or I'm just now getting more harsher Xanax WD.

I'm on 72 hours feel of methadone, again I took (.25mg xanax) because of anxiety but it came back. I've never taken xanax for anxiety; so I'm wondering if I'm just peak withdrawing from the Methadone or the Xanax. Since anxiety is also a WD symptom from Methadone.

My main question is (1) does anyone know what I'm most PROBABLY likely withdrawing from? (2) And if its Methadone can I still use the Xanax for sleep/anxiety short term? (3) And if its Xanax should I taper?

THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time to decipher and read this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome,

My opinion is that your primary symptoms are from the methadone and there's not much you can do about it except ride it out. The anxiety and sleep issues are most likely a combination of both the methadone and the Norcos. Sleep patterns are most often disrupted for longer than the other issues. The Zanex. Yep. They can be dangerous but I also know that we get desperate when we can't sleep. I'd avoid taking that during the day at all costs. You are apt to have some anxiety but really try to deal with it with exercise and getting busy and it will pass. .5 Zanex at night isn't that heavy a dose and thankfully you haven't been taking it for that long. It will become an issue if you keep using it for long though.

Try to find some natural sleep remedies like Sleep Time Tea or Melatonin. Try to tire yourself out during the day. If you can't sleep well,don't let it frustrate you. I'm sorry to report that this is something that you just have to ride out and aside from the RLS that thankfully went away after my Day 5 -- I only used short acting opiates--the sleep was the most troublesome. I just learned to accept it and it got better slow but sure. I used a benzo too but only at night and not every night. After a couple of weeks I stopped then all together. Not a good idea to use one drug to get off of another. Just leaves you with a problem with a different enemy.

I have no experience with Kratom. Some swear by it and say it helped their anxiety and others report that it created issues for them in the end too. I'll leave you and others to make that decision. There is no easy way to get this done except to live through it. Finding something that will help, aside from over the counter things is our mentality as an addict and just another habit we have to break or it will make your recovery more difficult because you're still left with one more substance to quit. Hope this helps.

Peace,

Cat

cray19044 is offline New Member

I think ur feeling the methadone and the norcos. Sounds like u were on them awhile and it can take up to a year for your body not to crave, which will give u more probs than the actual w/d. So you'll have to ride that out and congrats on it so far.
    My main advice, if you need something for anxiety,sleep and help with w/d is to take Valium instead. Its really just a better medicine overall. Personally, xanax has never helped my withdrawal and have made it worse. A lot of people will tell you the same. I don't know anything about the other medicine but I would say to continue with what you doing but trade in xanax for valiums. They are also used as a muscle relaxer and to stop muscle spasms, and nowhere near the pain to get off as xanax. Neurontin can help with withdrawals but once again I would change that to lyrica. I take that for severe nerve pain and it also helps a great deal with withdrawal from my pain pills. It is also successfully used in withdrawal from >>>>>>.
    Oh and as far as sleeping meds go, I swear buy trazodone. I have ADHD and some slight O CD, with a little bit of insomnia on the side. So you can imagine what it's like for me to go to sleep lol. Trazodone is fantastic. I've been on the same small dosage for 6 years now and I used to go 4 days with no sleep. But the reason I'm telling you this is because when you do not sleep good for whatever reason, it makes your anxiety worst. If you ever really pay attention to it you'll see what I mean but not sleeping definitely effects your anxiety. Even if you sleep by 8 hours but you're having problems with the sleeping and self it will cause you a lot of problems. So, get red of the xanax, get some valium and some trazodone and get some good rest and sleep and continue fighting the fight. I wish you luck.
    Could also smoke. Helps with w/d and everything. Maybe do a diff one each day that way ur less likely to get hooked on any. Lol.

cray19044 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cray19044 View Post
    I think ur feeling the methadone and the norcos. Sounds like u were on them awhile and it can take up to a year for your body not to crave, which will give u more probs than the actual w/d. So you'll have to ride that out and congrats on it so far.
    My main advice, if you need something for anxiety,sleep and help with w/d is to take Valium instead. Its really just a better medicine overall. Personally, xanax has never helped my withdrawal and have made it worse. A lot of people will tell you the same. I don't know anything about the other medicine but I would say to continue with what you doing but trade in xanax for valiums. They are also used as a muscle relaxer and to stop muscle spasms, and nowhere near the pain to get off as xanax. Neurontin can help with withdrawals but once again I would change that to lyrica. I take that for severe nerve pain and it also helps a great deal with withdrawal from my pain pills. It is also successfully used in withdrawal from >>>>>>.
    Oh and as far as sleeping meds go, I swear buy trazodone. I have ADHD and some slight O CD, with a little bit of insomnia on the side. So you can imagine what it's like for me to go to sleep lol. Trazodone is fantastic. I've been on the same small dosage for 6 years now and I used to go 4 days with no sleep. But the reason I'm telling you this is because when you do not sleep good for whatever reason, it makes your anxiety worst. If you ever really pay attention to it you'll see what I mean but not sleeping definitely effects your anxiety. Even if you sleep by 8 hours but you're having problems with the sleeping and self it will cause you a lot of problems. So, get red of the xanax, get some valium and some trazodone and get some good rest and sleep and continue fighting the fight. I wish you luck.
    Could also smoke. Helps with w/d and everything. Maybe do a diff one each day that way ur less likely to get hooked on any. Lol.
    I have hardcore cold Turkey withdrawn from basically everything there is. I had to cold turkey withdraw from taken 20 milligrams, and sometimes more, of methadone a day for 5 years. Meaning one day there, next day none forever. I thought I was going to die. I know you're not taking it like that and you wind down, and I still probably was affecting you the most.

eli traminsky is offline New Member

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. I'm still clean and sober! going three weeks now. LIke all, I have good days and bad days. Mornings are bad and get better as the day progesses. Though, I have to say I still get this constant dehabilitating brain fog that just wont go away. I know people say this is symptom that can last a bit but I'm hoping it goes away soon. Besides that I've been educating myself on recovery, coping skills, signs of paws, relapse, etc. I guess my current concern is I'm trying to make changes to my lifestyle and working on my recovery as a priority. Will too many of these changes cause me to relapse? I take it one day at a time and dealing with things that I normally would avoid. I am currently taking L-Theanine, Bacopa, Relora (for sleep) and Melatonine along with a multi vitamin. I'm trying to avoid any GABA agonist or GABA-ergic supplements. My diet is normal three meals a day and daily workouts (around 30min) I know this has to be my regiment for a good long time if not forever. Which I'm am more than happy with if its going to make recovery that much better (I find it helps). I dont want the pink cloud cause I'm worried it'll make me too happy. I just want to feel normal again. One last thing, I am getting these really crazy dreams (I sleep on n off for around 4-6 hours) wake up every 2-3 hours. But these dreams that come are really bizarre and drug related. Not cravings but panic attacks that I relapsed and what not. Is this normal?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-31-2015 at 06:00 PM.