Ramipril Advice please
    kenbrowne is offline New Member

Default Ramipril Advice please

Does anyone know how quickly a Ramipril tablet takes effect and for how long does it's effect last? If one took a tablet on Monday would the effect last approx. 1 day and then the drug is be broken down with no residual effect - or does it have a cumulative effect over a period of usage?
    Where I am coming from is that I have I have had some impotence problems recently and am wondering if these can be ascribed to my use of Ramipril and whether or not these are due to its cumulative effect or if, for example ,you didn't take it for a day would the (undesired) effect stop almost immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by kenbrowne View Post
    Does anyone know how quickly a Ramipril tablet takes effect and for how long does it's effect last? If one took a tablet on Monday would the effect last approx. 1 day and then the drug is be broken down with no residual effect - or does it have a cumulative effect over a period of usage?
    Where I am coming from is that I have I have had some impotence problems recently and am wondering if these can be ascribed to my use of Ramipril and whether or not these are due to its cumulative effect or if, for example ,you didn't take it for a day would the (undesired) effect stop almost immediately?
    "After once-daily dosing, steady-state plasma concentrations of ramiprilat are reached by the fourth dose." (ramiprilat is the active, more potent metabolite of ramipiril, aka when you take ramipril almost all of it gets converted to ramiprilat). This means the levels of the drug in your body will keep going up somewhat until the fourth dose where it levels off to a relatively constant amount in your body. So there is some "cumulative" effect for the first few doses.

"the half-life of ramiprilat concentrations within the therapeutic range was 13 to 17 hours" Pharmacokinetics, for simplicity sakes, state that the half life of a drug will be "cleared" (for all practical purposes) from your body after five half lives. One half live means the drug is dropped 50% over 13-17 hours, two half lives it dropped to 25% over another 13-17 hours. The rate of decline is not linear however, because there is an initial rapid decline of 2-4 hour (half-life) and then drops more slowly by other processes in your body. So to sum it up multiply 13-17 hours by 5 (65-85 hours) and that is how long it takes for the drug be out of your body or at the VERY least subtherapeutic.

Impotence was reported in 0.4% of the studies that were done in this drug, but I am more than aware this can seem very real if it is happening to you so I am not trying to say you are making this up at all. The real question is the timing, when did the impotence start in relation to you starting the drug. If it wasn't within the first week then it probably isn't from the drug ramipril most likely. Depends on the patient, but a lot of times it wouldn't be the end of the world to stop taking it for a week, BUT do NOT do it without asking your doctor. I try not pretend to play doc on here. Hope this helps and was not too confusing but I try to be thorough if I can, good luck!!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    ---I answer questions to the best of my ability, but with always limited knowledge of the patient's situation and no ability to see your chart or full medical history my advice is limited and should also be confirmed with your own doctor/pharmacist/etc. Also, I do not promote following my advice without proper approval from your doctor either--

Dr. B