Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Msirois
Replace Pills for Different Manufacturer?
    Msirois is offline New Member

Question Replace Pills for Different Manufacturer?

I picked up a prescription last week and since the day I started taking it have felt flu-y, with a headache and no appetite. It also feels as though it isn’t doing its job. This is unusual for me and started the day after refilling the prescription, so I checked the bottle. I have only ever received this medication from Actavis, but it was from Torrent this time. Will a different pharmacy, that has Actavis pills, replace the remainder of the pills for me with the usual manufacturer? Do I need a new prescription from the doctor for this?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-13-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Msirois View Post
    I picked up a prescription last week and since the day I started taking it have felt flu-y, with a headache and no appetite. It also feels as though it isn’t doing its job. This is unusual for me and started the day after refilling the prescription, so I checked the bottle. I have only ever received this medication from Actavis, but it was from Torrent this time. Will a different pharmacy, that has Actavis pills, replace the remainder of the pills for me with the usual manufacturer? Do I need a new prescription from the doctor for this?
    I personally have never had this experience but have heard many stories from people saying that different manufacturers does make a difference so yes it's possible for you too. No a different pharmacy can't do anything with the pills you already have and you'll need a new script. In the future, you can ask the pharmacy you usually use to order the brand you prefer and if they won't, then change pharmacies to one that either will order them or routinely stocks them. You can ask your physician to be specific when writing the script, to NOT check the box at the bottom giving permission to interchange, and to write the brand name because the pharmacy can't then interchange it with something else. They will try, however if it's a name brand versus a generic but they will have to call your doctor to get permission. An additional hurdle MAY be that your insurance may dictate that a generic be used instead of a brand name so it may become necessary for your doctor to send in a preauthorization to explain why the cheaper generic isn't acceptable. It can become a pain in the butt creating more paperwork with chances of a glitch that will delay your ability to fill your script. It would be worth a few phone calls starting with your insurance to see if they'll cover the brand that you usually get and if they won't, then you'll have to speak with your physician to begin the process of the preauthorization process. Even though they have covered it in the past, it's possible that their list of covered medications has changed. Hope this helps explain things for you.

What is the medicine?

Peace,
    Cat

Msirois is offline New Member

Hi Cat,
    The medication is Lamotrigine for bipolar disorder. Generic has always been fine up to this point so hopefully insurance won’t give me too much trouble!

Genscripts is offline Junior Member

These are like bioequivalent medication that means you are taking the identical medication with similar concentration. There will be variation from tablet to tablet and person to person even if it is the exact same manufacturer. If you are really concerned with this then consult with your pharmacist to give the same pill that you have been taking for long time.