Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jebeccar
So tired but stimulants have NO effect!
    jebeccar is offline New Member

Default So tired but stimulants have NO effect!

I have sleep apnea (which is definately getting better with a 100+ lb weight loss) and have been diagnosed with adult add. I have zero energy or motivation, even after the weight loss, and have tried everything under the sun. I can't seem to find articles or info on why nothing I have tried has worked in the slightest, I was hoping someone here could shed some light on this for me.

I have been on provigil 200-400mg, Adderall (XR and non) up to 60mg, all the typical OTC stimulants like caffeine and ephedra have never had an affect on me-an hour ago I drank four extra strength 5-hr energy and am still falling asleep (after 10 hrs of sleep) I have been on anti-depressants on and off for about ten years, including cymbalta, wellbutrin (current), prozac, celexa, and effexor. I am so tired of being tired and not being able to get anything done! I am sitting in my messy house and feeling overwhelmed at the thought of cleaning it because I don't know where to start, and when I try to start I work on it for about ten minutes and find myself coming up with something else to do and never getting back to it. I realize I do it, and I hate it, but no amount of self-help tapes, setting goals, putting on a timer or any of the "tricks" have helped.

Am I just the laziest person on the planet or could there be a reason I don't respond to these things? I want to be a normal person so badly instead of staying home all the time because I don't have the energy to go anywhere or because actually leaving the house seems so exhausting I just stay home.

Thanks for your time, and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
    Hollyhms likes this.

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

I'm not any kind of "expert" on these things, but a few thoughts came to mind when I read your post, so I thought I'd pass them on. I noticed that about 50 folks have read this thread, but none are posting - and I figured... well, I may as well offer my thoughts, as it's better than hearing nothing back!

First off, from what I understand of A.D.D. and A.D.H.D., the effect of stimulants is completely the opposite from the effect it has on non-A.D.D. folks. In other words, where caffeine normally makes others alert, for you, it'll make you drowsy. That is why doctors frequently prescribe amphetamines to slow down an A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. patient. It will lessen the racing thoughts.

So, my first suggestion would be to AVOID common stimulants, such as caffeine and energy drinks, as they may very well be slowing you down.

Next, you mentioned sleep apnea, are you sleeping with the proper (CPap?) equipment to level out your respiration? This is essential, so that the sleep you get is actually beneficial to you.

The other thing that came to mind is that you may be experiencing under-treated depression. Although you have tried many anti-depressants, your behavior sounds like the depression is holding you back. Depression is more than just "feeling sad," it is also the lack of motivation, the lack of energy, the lack of interest in things that used to interest you. It may be a good time to discuss this with your doctor, and see if either a new AD is needed, or a higher dose of the AD you are now taking.

Last thought. Have you been thoroughly tested for such things as your thyroid, iron or B12 levels? A completely blood screen would allow the doctor to see if you are lacking somewhere, and a specific nutrient may make all the difference in the world. Seriously, low iron (or other blood nutrient issues) can make you near-ready to drop at a moment's notice. Simply taking an iron tablet will NOT prevent anemia in some folks; they need an infusion to increase the iron levels sufficiently.

Just my thoughts... but I would urge you to discuss this with your family doctor and/or psychiatrist. They would certainly know better about these things.

God bless,
    Ruth

numbOne is offline Member

Jebeccar -

As usual Ruth gave you a lot of great thoughful information. I would just like to add that i can relate really well to the lack of energy - That's a big reason i got caught up with drugs/addiction in the first place!

All that i can Add right now is that if you can get some excercise that will also help. One thing is to fake yourself into feeling a certain way thru drugs, the other (better) way is to do it naturally. Soon your body will start producing the missing chemicals by itself. If you train yourself good habits and make it a point to do something everyday/everynite, your body and mind will get used to that and before you know it doing stuff will feel natural.

I know it's not easy. I have nothing after a workday (even tho i sit on my butt all day) and go home and lay or sit down. But i am trying and so should you. Oh! another thing is good people. If you don't have many encouraging ones in your circle, reach out and find some. I find others to be helpful with setting up plans/stuff to do.

subboxxer is offline Member

Default mono

Check if you have swolen glands I know mono will keep you constantly tired even though you get 12 hours sleep a night. Just a suggestion, a blood test is certainly in order to see what it really is.

tree house is offline New Member

Lightbulb You could have C.F.S, M.E.

I have both and feel like you feel all the time.I am learning to live with it by pacing myself (easy said then done) I used to take a little speed to help, but like you all it does is make me sleep antidpressants knock me out too, and energy drinks make me realy ill. Do you have the odd "good day"? do yo sometimes get flu like systems that only last a day or less?do you get forgetfull and are your eyes sensitve to light? how are you around loud noises? You can find out more at M.E support on line. I am doing my own research and hope to find a cure as I find it almost impossable to get any help from the drs. Let me know how you get on and if I can be of any help just let me know.

isla1970 is offline New Member

I am on a pretty strong dose of Adderall XR 20mg tid (although I usually only take it bid) and it has been bugging me why I am not seeing any increased energy, no motivation,pretty much all what you said. Helps w/focus & less impulsive behavior but that's it. (I have hyperactivity type). (And I have tried lower doses to see if that is why - no improvement).

So I think of adding Wellbutrin (see my Pdoc this Fri) as it is activating & am not on any antidepressants now.

All the above gave great recommendations, I did have my thyroid checked & it came back hyper so I have an Endo appt in July.

I am wondering if it is depression for me, or I guess it could be the thyroid.

When I take Vicodin - now that acts as a stim - motivation, focus, no procrastination, seriously it is like adderall is to most people. I am not on them often (herniated discs) but on the rare times I get them, all the work I had put off gets done, it's crazy.

Best Wishes

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

I'm constantly fatigued also. I don't remember when it started but for the past 10 years or so I've always had to take a nap if I wanted to go out at night, mid day I barely make it home from work and I could literally take a 3 hour nap and fall asleep that night at 9pm. I've tried ambien to help me sleep better and I do wake up more refreshed but I'm still ready for a nap 3 hours later. I also suffer from adult add, obviously the non hyper kind and depression but I don't take any meds. I simply cannot handle the anti depressant medication because it makes me waaaay to tired. I've tried 3 different ones and that's enough failure for me. I've never tried adderall but I'm considering it if I go back to school.

workAholic is offline New Member

Default Finally, a post/thread I can relate too!

Quote Originally Posted by isla1970 View Post
    I am on a pretty strong dose of Adderall XR 20mg tid (although I usually only take it bid) and it has been bugging me why I am not seeing any increased energy, no motivation,pretty much all what you said. Helps w/focus & less impulsive behavior but that's it. (I have hyperactivity type). (And I have tried lower doses to see if that is why - no improvement).

So I think of adding Wellbutrin (see my Pdoc this Fri) as it is activating & am not on any antidepressants now.

All the above gave great recommendations, I did have my thyroid checked & it came back hyper so I have an Endo appt in July.

I am wondering if it is depression for me, or I guess it could be the thyroid.

When I take Vicodin - now that acts as a stim - motivation, focus, no procrastination, seriously it is like adderall is to most people. I am not on them often (herniated discs) but on the rare times I get them, all the work I had put off gets done, it's crazy.

Best Wishes
    I have never heard anyone mention how vicodin or "downers," give them motivation. That happens to me too! Stimulants have no affect on me whatsoever. Have you figured out why that is, did you check on your thyroid??