Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ARTIST658
Sorry, long post, but I really need advice from you guys!
    bbeat00 is offline New Member

Default Sorry, long post, but I really need advice from you guys!

Hi,
    Ok, here's my story and I hope someone can give me some advice. Over eight years ago I started to a pain mgmt. doctor that started me on lortab 7.5 x 4 daily plus fiornial for the bad headachs I get from my neck. I have chronic neck pain (that's another story) then about five years ago he put me on lortab 10/500 x 4 daily plus lyrica 150 x 2 daily along with the fiorinal. About four years ago they went to 5 of the lortabs daily. That controled my pain pretty good. Later they offered me fentenyl but I refused it because I didn't want to take anything any stronger than what I was on. I knew if I ever got my neck fixed I would have to go through withdrawls (with the docs help of course) so I have been taking this group of meds for a long time and doing fine, along with the injections, pt, and whatever else they wanted me to try before the last resort, surgery, on my neck. Here is where things change. I am on medicade and when they split into the two groups and I am on the superior group then my pm dropped me as of March 1,2012. This was such a shock to me! I was the perfect patient. I never had anything questioned on a UA, never missed appointments and did anything they wanted me to do if I thought it would help in my neck getting better. I felt horrible about this! Well, that was March 1 and that day I got the letter from my pm, I started looking for a new pm doctor. It was not as easy as I thought cause so many doctors dropped medicaid patients after this split came about. I had a new script of my meds with one refill so I at least wasn't left hanging there. Well two weeks ago tomorrow (wed) I went to my new pm, thinking he would just take up where my old one left off. WRONG! He was such an a$$! He took me off my lortab and said he was putting me on something long acting. Exalgo...what the heck is this? I was so shocked when I left his office I just went home and cried all day and I was just so scared. I looked exalgo up and didn't like what I read about it, plus it was so, so expensive! I couldn't see medicaid approving it when there were so many other meds out there. Why couldn't he just leave me on what I was taking?? I did at least get him to give me enough lortabs to keep me out of withdrawls but he cut me down from five to four and I felt it! So I had a few left from my last script (which I didn't mention to him) and I've been taking five. So I have to go back in to see him tomorrow. I got a letter from medicaid and the reason they denied the exalgo is because I haven't tried any of their preferred LA meds first. I understand this. What is worrying me now is. I DO NOT want to take any of these meds! I just don't know what to do now. He wants me on a long acting med so if I tell him I don't want to take fentenyl or morphine ER or any of the other "preferred" drugs then what if he tells me to find another doctor? My PC is giving me the lyrica and fiorinal (he wouldn't prescribe them even though I've been taking them for years) I'm also worried that if he gives me another UA, which I don't even know why he would, I had one two weeks ago, will the extra lortab I've been taking (5 instead of 4) show up and will that be grounds for dismissal? Guys, I'm sorry for this long post, I'm just so stressed over this whole thing. I wish to goodness I didn't have to take anything! I agree, if the drug seekers wouldn't scam the doctors so they can get high then the ones who have real pain wouldn't have to go through this hell to get something just to give them a better quality of life! I just don't know what to do at this point....
    Thank you if your still reading this rant and any replies would be very appreciated,
    Beverly

thalia45 is offline Member

Beverly, I have never heard of half the drugs mentioned here. "Exalgo"???? We are all involved in a Wall Street Pharmaceutical game, I think. A few weeks back in a crisis moment I accepted help from a well-meaning friend of some "Endocet"; knocked me on my ear. The intent, however inocently-minded, was to get me through a weekend of non-withdrawals off Hydrocodone. (Stupid of me to even ask, I know, but withdrawals? I am unreasonably afraid of the very word). I don't know what is in "Endocet", but I am glad I no longer have access to it.

There are a number of people here who have a lot of knowledge (which I do not-just a plain addict here). I am sure some of them will log on soon to help you. It is not just the drug seekers, but the people who are making money off of us that are the problem. It seems that every time I go to my Doctor he has something new (free) for me to try... and I don't think he is an evil person, but sometimes I think we are all lab animals (oh don't get me started on that one) and that it is all about $$$$$$$$.

We need some people from our side of the fence to start an expose, or lawsuit... Having come awfully close to death myself out of "trust and want" I am now very frightened for all of us. Thank God for this site and some knowledgeable people with no moneyed interests.

Sunny mom is offline Member

Beverly, there is information on that drug Exalgo right on this site...it is an opiate and it says it is used for patients who have a tolerance for other opiates, iirc. It sounds as though your new doctor seems to think you might have built up a tolerance to the meds your old doctor had you on. I'm not trying to be critical, but you seem very worried about the UA and in a near panic about not being prescribed what you want, sounds like you are very dependent on your meds and that is concerning. What is wrong with your neck and is there any way you can have your surgery sooner? I hope you can hang in and I wish you all the best.

bbeat00 is offline New Member

Thank you Sunny, for your reply. When I wrote the post earlier I was getting myself all worked up, I tend to get that way when I get anxious or worried about something. I shouldn't have made that comment about the "drug seekers". You are so right about the big pharma's. They will do just about anything to sell their drugs. I know they give the doctors kick backs and perks if they prescribe their drugs. I have built up a tolerance to the lortabs for sure. I have no doubt. I am a little worried about the UA, yes. Only because if he saw that I was taking five instead of the four like he prescribed then he might drop me. You have to realise, I'm very ignorant about this stuff even though I've been taking it for years. I know he won't prescribe the lortabs like I've been taking for so long, I'm just so afraid of the stronger drugs that he could put me on since the Exaldo was denied. And yes, I am very dependent on my meds....It's like a catch 22. I need them to have any kind of quality of life but at the same time I HATE having to take them. Am I making any kind of sense? My neck curves the opposite way that it should and the discs are worn down so it's pretty much bone against bone. The doctor that was going to do my surgery is not on my insurance so now I have to find one that I trust like I trusted this one. Basically I feel like I'm starting over with this doctor, going through all the injections, mri's, xrays and whatever else he comes up with. I'm just so tired of the whole thing and so tired of being in pain. I have other things going on with me but I'm not going to get into that. Sorry if this post is poorly written, I'm terrible at trying to say what I mean.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Dear Beverly,

I'm thinking along the same lines as Sunny. You already see that you are dependent upon the drugs. The mental preoccupation for the drug is the piece beyond dependency that defines "addiction." You've been on some powerful narcotics for a very long period of time. Our bodies build up a tolerance, requiring more and more. This is what often leads chronic pain patients into addiction, ever-seeking to find enough pain relief from a drug that is naturally creates tolerance, and is so dangerously addictive.

I have had very similar issues to yours (chronic migraines, reverse curve to neck, bone spurs, advanced disc degeneration and advance arthritis) - the similarity is almost uncanny. The major difference is, I do not take ANY narcotics whatsoever, and am able to manage the pain. After years as a chronic pain patient, myself, I became addicted to these same drugs. You see, with headaches or migraines, narcotics can actually bring on more pain than they actually relieve, in the form of rebound pain or rebound headaches. As the drug wears off after a few hours, the pain returns even stronger; that causes a person to seek out more narcotics, bringing on MORE pain, and the cycle is unending. So much of the pain I had experienced in the past pretty much dissipated when I stopped the narcotics for good. Fiorinal/fioricet, lortab, percocet/endocet, morphine - all of these drugs are very poor answers for long-term headache issues. Any neurologist worth his salt will not keep a patient on these kinds of meds for long - let alone 8 years!

It sounds like the new PM doctor is TRYING to do the right thing by you. Apparently, the old PM doctor was just 'rubber-stamping' an ongoing cocktail of narcotic drugs to you, month after month, with little regard for what it was doing to you in the long run. That is really dangerous. As it is, you are abusing the prescription, taking more than prescribed. All danger signs.

By the way, the real issue you're running into with a new doctor is NOT a result of "if the drug seekers wouldn't scam the doctors so they can get high then the ones who have real pain wouldn't have to go through this hell to get something just to give them a better quality of life!" And the real issue is not the pharmaceutical companies. The bigger issue is people like you and me - chronic pain patients who ever so innocently become addicted to the narcotics legitimately prescribed for legitimate pain from our legitimate doctors. It's the nature of the narcotics themselves that lend us toward dependency, tolerance and addiction. So a wise doctor is on the look-out for the risks of medicating a chronic pain patient with long-term narcotics.

God bless,
    Ruth
    Robert_325 likes this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.