suboxone- withdrawing cold turkey from 24 mg
    Midwest liberal is offline New Member

Thumbs down suboxone- withdrawing cold turkey from 24 mg

My grandson's mother is in her early 20's and has been taking 8 mg, 3 times per day of suboxone for about 9 months. She struggled with pain medication after a bad case of lymes disease. The doctor never adjusted her dosage down during this time period, but she missed a random pill count and was dropped from the clinic. She has been in complete withdrawal for approximately ten days and can't eat, is not sleeping, high anxiety, etc.

I live 700 miles away from her. Is there anything that I can do to best support her from a distance or is there anything that is not an opiate that can help with the withdrawal symptoms? She said they have not gotten any better during this time period.

After she withdraws, should I try to document my concerns about how a doctor can remove a patient from a clinic at this dosage without any responsibility for providing withdrawal treatment?

Thank you

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest liberal View Post
    My grandson's mother is in her early 20's and has been taking 8 mg, 3 times per day of suboxone for about 9 months. She struggled with pain medication after a bad case of lymes disease. The doctor never adjusted her dosage down during this time period, but she missed a random pill count and was dropped from the clinic. She has been in complete withdrawal for approximately ten days and can't eat, is not sleeping, high anxiety, etc.

I live 700 miles away from her. Is there anything that I can do to best support her from a distance or is there anything that is not an opiate that can help with the withdrawal symptoms? She said they have not gotten any better during this time period.

After she withdraws, should I try to document my concerns about how a doctor can remove a patient from a clinic at this dosage without any responsibility for providing withdrawal treatment?

Thank you

I am NOT playing games here. If she has been on 24mg of suboxone for nine months straight and has been taken off cold turkey she needs to be hospitalized and the dr needs to be sued. She will be lucky if she doesn't end up in a psych ward if left to deal with this on her own. Please get her some help! You have NO IDEA what she is likely going through at this very moment. Keep us posted. That dr needs to have his license revoked. If it were my daughter I would be looking for the idiot excuse for a dr myself. And it wouldn't be pleasant when I found him. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-11-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Midwest liberal is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I am NOT playing games here. If she has been on 24mg of suboxone for nine months straight and has been taken off cold turkey she needs to be hospitalized and the dr needs to be sued. She will be lucky if she doesn't end up in a psych ward if left to deal with this on her own. Please get her some help! You have NO IDEA what she is likely going through at this very moment. Keep us posted. That dr needs to have his license revoked. If it were my daughter I would be looking for the idiot excuse for a dr myself. And it wouldn't be pleasant when I found him. God bless.
    I called and her boyfriend is trying to get her to eat and keeping a close eye on her. Told him if anything changed at all to get her to the hospital immediately or try to now. They live in a rural area, the doctor is on the county public health board, etc. On Monday, I am going to call the state medical association, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get through the symptoms? He is trying to keep her hydrated and to get her to eat. She has lost weight over the last ten days. Robert, thank you and I will do my best to get her to go in or will try to move up a visit back so I can get there.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest liberal View Post
    I called and her boyfriend is trying to get her to eat and keeping a close eye on her. Told him if anything changed at all to get her to the hospital immediately or try to now. They live in a rural area, the doctor is on the county public health board, etc. On Monday, I am going to call the state medical association, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get through the symptoms? He is trying to keep her hydrated and to get her to eat. She has lost weight over the last ten days. Robert, thank you and I will do my best to get her to go in or will try to move up a visit back so I can get there.

With most opiate medications a person could just take another similar medication and they would come out of w/d immediately. With suboxone it's different.

Suboxone's active ingredient is buprenorphine which blocks the effects of other opiates. So taking a couple pain pills wouldn't even phase her considering the ridiculously high dose of suboxone this goofy dr has her on. Patients do well on 2-4mg of suboxone all the time. Giving a patient 24mg of suboxone for nine months is pure stupidity. This kind of thing makes me furious! And then to cut her off cold, he should be scourged!

She can be treated medically by a professional, but I wouldn't consider letting this current dr close to her. She needs medical care at an ER. They will be able to give her something to settle her down. She is likely having gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea at this point badly. She is likely badly dehydrated needing fluids administered by IV. I would take her to the hospital and get all this documented. Just because someone who is drug dependent misses on a pill count you don't throw them out in the street to have a breakdown. This is serious and I am so mad I can't see straight! This dr is a jerk and I promise you I would file charges against him. I don't care what kind of boards he is on he obviously doesn't know how to treat patients on suboxone. She is going to get really sick if not attended to. The only thing saving her is that suboxone stays in your system a long time but even at that, ten days without anything following nine months at 24mg is a crime in my book.

Please keep me posted. Let me know what happens. Your grandson's mother is in my prayers. God bless.

lennard is offline New Member

She probably doesn't feel that well but if she can stay clean for another 20 days most of the symptoms will be gone. I am taking 24 millagrams a day and i have seen alot of people kick suboxones cold turkey in jail and from my experience most of them people for fine in 2 to 4 weeks. I know she doesnt feel good but if she can hang in there things should get better by each passing day. I hope this answers some of your questions.

ginny1203 is offline New Member

I have been having suboxene withdrawels too and the only thing that has helped me is methadone

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ginny1203 View Post
    I have been having suboxene withdrawels too and the only thing that has helped me is methadone
    Hi there. What dose of Sub did you jump from? Why did you quit cold turkey?

If you'd like support and/or advice, start a new thread on the Suboxone Treatment board or the Need to Talk board.

Take care,
    Kat

TeaLikesMeFL is offline New Member

It's late, and I don't know what's going on in the situation, but I recommend Immodium. If she was able to keep it down, I'd say start at 12, 2 mg pills. Increasing by 4 pills every 2 hours if no relief. If she doesn't get relief by the time she hits 20-24 pills, stop. The risk outweighs the result.

xrayetch is offline New Member

Hi, I have also quit cold turkey because I can't afford it and I am just so damn sick of living my life around this stuff. I jumped at 16 mg, but I too was prescribed 3 8mg a day for the past 3 months. I tried to quit before but was totally unsuccessful and landed right back in the clinic. The key is to mentally remind yourself this is temporary. Immodium, thank the lord for it, make yourself eat something anything even if it is just a few bites. I have a job and that has been such a lifesaver. I am in day seven and I have to say I still have symptoms but they come and go. Here is what I don't understand. I was going every 2 weeks for 3 months the last three visits I was very stable with withdrawals. So why did he not mention weening? Although my withdrawals seemed to be ok my mental stability while on suboxone was not in good shape. So this is another reason I said to heck with this. Life has to be better than this. I truly feel my opiate addiction was to kill my emotions so I have made an appointment to see about getting on some form of anti depressant and I am also looking at some big lifestyle changes. My mind is pretty clear right now. I live with my husband and child. My husband is still popping the pills and I just can't complete this recovery living with an active user.

mrsnye is offline New Member

Tell me did you finish your detox? I have been on 24 mg for only twenty or so days but for the last two days have only had 16 mgs each day. I am wanting to stop so badly but my fear of withdrawal is bad having gone through it twice before.

Miker27 is offline New Member

Being on subs for 3 years adter a week i was withdrawl free.after 5 iv went 7 months clean and still was in withdrawl.after 8 i did 13 months clean because of drug court and i was deathly ill the hole time.pain is impossible to deal with and i couldnt do simple normal tasks because of the pain i was still in and the discomfort .ill die before i go thru that again.10 years iv been on subs now