Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Switching from methadone to suboxone
    Mattb122 is offline New Member

Default Switching from methadone to suboxone

Hello everyone, I have heard that you must be at 30 milligrams to be on suboxone/ subtext. I have an appointment on dec 6th and am on 41 milligrams. Will I be ok waiting 72 hours and dosing suboxone or is the extra eleven miligrams going to hurt. Any suggestions would help. I am so so so tired of the effect methadone has had on me and I am desperate. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I jumped from 150mg to sub but I waited 5 days to start my induction
    Like you I was sick of everything about methadone..
    After10 years..I was done..
    That was 6 months ago on the 19th of this month..
    Now I am tapering sub and at 1.25mg from 24mg

I was able to go into detox on the 4 or 5 day for the induction..
    I waited to go cuz I didn't want to waste my insurance days when I knew I would probaly still feel ok..
    At that point I didn't care if I lived or died I was so depressed from the methadone..

My way was not the suggested way but if I can do that you can do it from 41 mg
    Your desire to stop the liquid handcuffs!
    None of this set in stone ..
    Depends on a person age.
    Metabolism.
    How long on the methadone.

The good thing about it being different for everyone ..is it is doable..
    It will be hard and I would suggest you get yourself as healthly as possiblein in the next days before you induce.
    Gets some vitamins
    Get really hydrated and stay that way
    Start or continue some exercise even if it is small..
    Be prepared for the worst but expect the best..
    It is a mental thing almost more than physical..
    If you want it now than do it now .. ( from whatever mg of methadone)
    Be prepared!

Others may disagree but I NEVER looked back ..
    It was absolutely the best thing I have ever done for myself and my life!
    Others will come along here and support you this place has helped so much with my sub taper!!

Make a plan and stick with it no matter what!
    Now is a good time to pray to ..if you believe in a power greater than yourself ..
    even if it is this board you will have guidance!
    Take care
    Please keep posting
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-16-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    starrlight likes this.

Thank you so much for your story. It only re assures me I'm doing the right thing. I got on methadone at 21 and am about to be 28. I don't get out of bed and I just want my life back. I'll maybe drop a few mgs to get closer to 30. Seriously thank you for your reply.

I am new to this site.. Can someone please tell me what is the best forum board to post any questions or experienxes on this topic?

Ok just one more question. Is there anyway I can check myself into a hospital to make my methadone withdrawals bearable until I start suboxone? Has anyone heard of any programs like this? I'm so sick of methadone but the fear of going days without it is what has kept me from making this leap. Yes I know I am weak, but I don't want to go back to the street before I check in for suboxone. I was just wondering.

You are welcome
    It would be easier to follow you on the suboxone treatment board.
    There are many people tapering off sub over there.
    We check in with each other daily ..

Things about going into detox
    If you call around and ask hospitals in your area ask if they have a detox program in there hospitals drug program that induces from methadone to sub.
    Some do some don't!
    You have to say you are at 30mg of methadone to induce to sub
    If your plan is to just use the sub to get off of the methadone the problem is most Drs and detoxes induce you to a really high dose of sub
    Mine included 24mg is high even for someone with a long methadone history and a high dose t/o that time..

Now if you do it yourself an post on the suboxone treatment board on this forum there are people that will walk you through it.
    There is Roberts taper on that boards that 1000s have used to induce , taper and then jump..with minimal symptoms.

Please check it out and if you follow it at home you will be ok

In a detox program if they start you on a high dose it is ok but it will ad weeks to your sub taper..

I will check back later..

Start a thread over there and stick to that one and you will have so much excellent support!
    There are people there that are completely clean for months -years that come by daily to help others!
    It is awesome..

Take care
    the sub treatment board is in the prescription drug addiction board
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-16-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Matt - Opiates wrecked my life, but methadone nearly DESTROYED me! At first I thought it was the answer I was searching for, but I soon began abusing that too. Horrible, horrible experience.

The BEST thing I ever did was making the switch to suboxone, then tapered off that. I've now been clean over 4 months and doing great! You can certainly do the same if you follow a few simple procedures.

First using a Cows (clinical withdrawal scale) is a MUST to determine when the time is right to take that first dose of sub. In my opinion. Don't just think you can switch after 2,3 or 4 days. You may be ok, but you also may NOT. I got in a big hurry wanting to get on the sub quickly. Went right into PRECIPITATED WITHDRAWALS and wanted to die. I tried again and reduced further, exact same thing happened because I again GOT IN A HURRY!!!

YOu need to use the cows, and you need to get to a score of 26 or above BEFORE dosing with sub to be safe from PW's. I personally got down eventually to 10mgs of methadone. It's HIGHLY recommended you get down to around 30mgs before switching, but 41 is pretty darn close. If you can reduce your methadone dose a little lower it will definitely be to your advantage Matt. The LOWER the BETTER!!!

Wait it out and don't take any sub until it's time according to that cows! Is it fun, NO IT ISN'T, but you only have to do it ONE TIME! It could take you 2 days, maybe 3, or possibly 4, even 5 days before symptoms get bad enough because methadone has about the same half life as sub has - very loooong! That's why the COWS is so important - you get to the 26 score and you know you're ready. It's the only want to do it in my opinion based on my EXPERIENCE!

Here's a link to a good cows -

http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_...flow_sheet.pdf

Lots of good info near the bottom of this. The higher you get on the cows the better.

Here's Robert 325's link to the sub plan most use here including myself -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...tml#post436333

Read it over real well. It explains things that most of us know and have used.

Don't get in any hurry to induct - make CERTAIN you're in full withdrawals. Don't take ANYTHING during the withdrawal process that will make you feel better. It will DELAY your progress. Not what you want. The point is to be very sick with symptoms then induct to feel better.

I will try to keep checking on you and answer any questions. I've been there and know what to expect. It's tough and not easy, but you CAN do it. Good luck Matt!!!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Randy
    Thank you for posting the links to Matt..
    I don't know how ..
    I am like you even though I didn't listen and lied about my dose when I induced .
    it was because Methadone took me to my knees..
    I was so spiritually bankrupt it was pathetic..
    I thought it was the best thing at first.
    In the end I hated it and I hated myself..
    I had to say I was gonna kill myself to get into detox..
    I did not sound like I needed help according to the assessment person..
    But that was par for the course with methadone you think you are doing really great till one day you wake and say .. I am dead inside and I am done!

Matt
    Sorry for hijacking your thread but right now there are not a lot of success stories on here about jumping from methadone to sub so when I hear that someone wants to get off it.. I get so excited and happy for them.
    When I first started reading around different forums there were so many people who felt they would just be on it forever..
    Myself included.

You are so young and you could end up staying on it for many many unnecessary years!
    You have many years ahead of you and the younger you are the Less stressful the induction is on your body..
    Follow what Randy said and you will do great..
    Do not be in a hurry..
    Precipitaded withdrawals is not something you want to experience firsthand!
    It SUX and the only thing that gets you out of it.....is time..
    So you have to wait anyway only then you are waiting while you wish you were dying..

Be Patient get to aleast a 26 on the COWS and then you will be good to go..

Will check back later
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-16-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    Do not be in a hurry..
    Precipitaded withdrawals is not something you want to experience firsthand!
    It SUX and the only thing that gets you out of it.....is time..
    So you have to wait anyway only then you are waiting while you wish you were dying..

Bette - That's one of the GREATEST statements I've ever heard!!!! And it's SOOOO true!!! I hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna use it from now on when replying about those dreaded PW's! Great post Bette!

Matt - Avoid those PW's like the plague. Take it slow and wait it out. Let us know how you're doing.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Farcry is offline Banned

Don't know if you've already started on switching, but I was taking around 80mg of methadone a day, then decided I had enough, the next day 30mg, then for the next week 10mg a day (I was withdrawaling very badly) anyways on the 8th day I went in for my subutex, and had no precipitated withdrawals. I had take 10mg the previous day, a 5mg at 4:30am, and a 5mg at around 1030am. Got my sub at 9am the next day.... Went to gamestop to buy far cry 4 at 11 that day..... After not leaving my bed for about 5 days! The best part was after I got back, I asked her if I had any methadone left (she was dulling them out to me) she handed them to me, about 55mg, I threw em in the sink, turned the garbage disposal on and enjoyed hearing those things die. Good luck! Randy helped me quite a bit, listen to him!