what should I expect when taking Seroquel for the first time?
    SnoozeBerriez is offline New Member

Default what should I expect when taking Seroquel for the first time?

My doctor just prescribed me seroquel 50mg because I am plagued with bipolar, PTSD, and an outrageous amount of insomnia. Since I have never taken this stuff before, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me what to expect. Especially with the first dose. I have heard it will knock a person out within 15-30 minutes. I am 5'6 and 132lbs. Secondly, I am also on Norco 10s for my authritis. Would it be ok to still take my norcos regularly, and then take the seroquel at night, as long as I space the two medications apart by like 3-4 hours? Please give me detailed information about your experience/what to expect! Thanks and God Bless (:

Maya30 is offline New Member

I just happened to see your post; interestingly I just took my 2nd dose of Seroquel last night. However, I was prescribed this drug not for bipolar disorder; it was part of a recovery pkg and was meant for insomnia. So I took my first dose of Seroquel two nights ago and this would make it easy to tell you its effect on me as a person taking it for the first time. Mine was 50 mg. It knocked me out in about 30 min. Both nights. But I have heard the sleeping effect will go away as you use it regularly. My dreams were very vivid. In my case the quality of my sleep in the past two nights taking this med was poor; I dreamt the whole night vivid dreams which takes away the resting effect of sleep. I also had difficulty waking up in the morning; I guess you must sleep at least 9-10 hours on this things.
    The day after I was somewhat groggy. I have most signs of the bipolar disorder with mostly manic episodes but have never been diagnosed with it. From this point of view, my racing thoughts were slower. I guess it helps a lot with taming the manic side. I could see my thoughts more clearly and I could play music better. As a writer the quality of my writing was better; for me it was like the whole of my life everything has been fastforwarding and I had taken this quality for granted as if it were normal. The first day after this med I saw everything slower; this gave me more control in dealing with things. But in general I preferred my natural manic; on Seroquel I felt like a beast who has been chained down. The second day was the same and I hated it really. Since my manic is relatively manageable Seroquel made me depressed and unmotivated. I am not taking it anymore.
    But I must say that the drug affects people differently, and especially this one should be taken for sometime in order to give the best result; one cannot judge from 2 nights of experience. But I gave you my account since you wanted to know how it may feel when you take it for the first time.
    I hope I was of help. I wish you the best.

bobgirl is offline New Member

Hi SnoozeBerriez & Maya30,
    I came here looking for info on what it feels like when you first take Seroquel and it turns out, I've been taking it longer than you. So, I started taking 50mg on Feb.24 so it's been 7 days. I'm about 5'7", 140lbs. I'm taking 300mg of Effexor and the Seroquel as an 'add-on' for:
    > double depression (low-grade, longer than 2yrs depression + major depressive episodes) and
    > anxious distress (Complex-PTSD, AKA stressful childhood)
    1st night: kicked in after 1.5 hours.
    Days 2: Great sleep, groggy, tense/sore neck muscles, felt a kind of clarity/fog-lifting at around 3pm-ish and continue into the afternoon/evening.
    Day 3: still great sleep, groggy in the am, neck muscles-fine, deep down, feel calmer/more relaxed, not as restless, appetite increases, slow moving, but afternoon-evening--felt pretty good--clarity again.
    Day 4: less groggy with each day, getting up earlier each day, had beer that eve--vivid dreams
    Day 5: pretty groggy--beer enhances the effect--need to watch that., felt pretty good aft/eve
    ...You get the idea. I can't wait until 3pm each day. I'm hoping in time, or with a higher dose, I'll have that clarity for the whole day!
    bobgirl

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

cpeezy is offline New Member

I had a very negative experience with Seroquel, and probably due to the fact it is in the same family with anti-psychotics such as risperdal and abilify, which also had terrible side effects for me. I had an allergic reaction to Prednisone which caused brain damage, seizures and steroid psychosis. As a result, I had depression, anxiety, mood swings, manic behavior and PTSD. I was put on Seroquel to take instead of the amount of benzos and antidepressant I was on. Seroquel immediately made me gain 10lb because it gave me extreme munchies. It felt like being very, very stoned 24/7. I broke out in acne and slept all day basically. I only took it for two weeks before stopping cold turkey--I found it worsened by depression and made me into a zombie. It works miracles for others, but I had all the classic side effects.

bobgirl is offline New Member

Very sorry to hear that. I hope you find something that helps you.