When will Klonapin and Effexor work for my husband?
    MomToThreeGirls11 is offline New Member

Default When will Klonapin and Effexor work for my husband?

Hello,

My husband has been having anxiety and depression. The doctor gave him Klonapin to take 1x at night (small dosage) and he is taking effexor at lunch (37.5 mg). In a few days, he will be taking 37.5 mg 2x a day, or he will take 75 mg 1x a day of effexor. We are still waiting to see what the doctor says about how he should take this.

However, he started these medications this Monday and he said that he does not feel any different.

Does Klonapin work right away?

And how long will the effexor take?

What exactly will the Klonapin do to help and what will the effexor do to help? Is it common to take this combination of medications?

It is maddening to wait for this stuff to kick in or know if it is doing something or nothihng.

Thanks in advance.

thalia45 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MomToThreeGirls11 View Post
    Hello,

My husband has been having anxiety and depression. The doctor gave him Klonapin to take 1x at night (small dosage) and he is taking effexor at lunch (37.5 mg). In a few days, he will be taking 37.5 mg 2x a day, or he will take 75 mg 1x a day of effexor. We are still waiting to see what the doctor says about how he should take this.

However, he started these medications this Monday and he said that he does not feel any different.

What exactly will the Klonapin do to help and what will the effexor do to help? Is it common to take this combination of medications?

It is maddening to wait for this stuff to kick in or know if it is doing something or nothihng.

Thanks in advance.
    I know nothing about timing on these pills but they all seem to take days, if not two weeks. I am really posting because I don't want your post to get lost; others with much more knowledge than me will be along soon.

Praying for you, Thalia

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
    It takes around two weeks for effexor, as well as many other anti-depressants, to actually work. It's difficult to actually say how much is needed, so doctors usually titrate you up slowly. The klonipin is given to help with sleep, however, I'd only take as needed. Klonopin is given for anxiety and is a benzodiazepine, and these can be addictive taken long term. Effexor is an anti-depressant, anti-anxiety medication. Your doctor is really going to be your guide here with how the medications work and how they affect your husband. I don't mean to be nosy, but is this depression new? Sometimes it's helpful to see a counselor/psychologist as well as taking these meds. Depression is usually caused by something: something in our lives, life changes, chemical imbalance etc. I hope all goes well with you.

Peace,

Iloerose

He is trying to contact a counselor also. The doctor did not really say how long it would take to work.

I take buspar which is great. It does not have a strong effect but I think it does a little something. But when I tried lexapro, it was just not for me. There were too many side effect. My phchiatrist weaned me off it which I thought was slow and I had so many side effects, I thought I was going crazy. I came on here and so many people validated what I felt and had so many of the same withdrawal syndroms and it really helped me to know that I was not alone. Sometimes coming on here and sharing things with others actually on the drug is quite helpful.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-15-2012 at 04:10 PM.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

You ended up on Lexapro? I really don't trust that, I've seen the horror stories. Buspar, Zoloft, Effexor, are some of the older anti-depressants. Each take about two weeks to stabilize in your system. I was on Effexor for about 10 years? but I was on what they want to put your husband at 75mg. There were some side effects at first that I took ativan for a short time to relieve, and that was mainly anxiety. I was on 150mg. for a short time, seemed too much and backed down, didn't notice side effects. When I finally decided to go off of the 75, I asked for tablets instead of capsules and did not have trouble weaning off. 75mg. is really not that large of a dose. So give it about two weeks, maybe not that long.

Iloerose
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-15-2012 at 10:12 PM.

iloerose,

Thanks. We are in our 2nd week now with the effexor. My husband is now on the 75mg a day. The Klonapin though is making his so drowsy. He will speak to his doctor tomorrow and tell her. I hope the effexor works soon. Then maybe hopefully he can go lower or go off the Klonapin.

Do you know anything about buspar? I am on 15mg 4x a day. Some people do not believe in buspar at all. It has completely different stuff in it than those other drugs out there. I have absolutely no a single side effect from buspar. I am kind of immune to it. 60mg does not even do much for me.

Chez98 is offline New Member

I took Buspar for a couple of years for GAD and it just stopped working also. I was then prescribed Effexor and have taken it for about 10 years. I am now trying to taper off and having a horrible time. Just make sure your husband doesn't miss any doses because the withdrawals can happen within hours of the missed dose.

iloerose,

Thanks. We are in our 2nd week now with the effexor. My husband is now on the 75mg a day. The Klonapin though is making his so drowsy. He will speak to his doctor tomorrow and tell her. I hope the effexor works soon. Then maybe hopefully he can go lower or go off the Klonapin.

Do you know anything about buspar? I am on 15mg 4x a day. Some people do not believe in buspar at all. It has completely different stuff in it than those other drugs out there. I have absolutely no a single side effect from buspar. I am kind of immune to it. 60mg does not even do much for me.