Why is 4mg of Hydromorphone having less of an effect than 2mg?
    Yanderbae is offline New Member

Default Why is 4mg of Hydromorphone having less of an effect than 2mg?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this)

I've been on prescription opioids for about a month now (been on other painkillers since August of 2014). Started with 5mg Oxycodone for a week, which didn't help my pain at all. 2mg of Hyrdromorphone for a week which at least got me to the point where I wasn't prepared to scream in pain, and about four days ago they gave me 3 weeks supply of 4mg of Hydromorphone. But even at 3 times a day as prescribed, this 4mg doesn't seem to be helping me at all; almost exactly like the Oxycodone did (well I guess didn't) do to me. The only difference is that I have massive headaches for a couple hours after I take it, and feel much more drained than I should (all I can do is lay in bed so I really shouldn't feel that drained to begin with). But I digress.

Is there a reason why the 2mg of Hydromorphone would have a stronger effect on my body than the 4mg? Occam's Razor dictates that a stronger dose would have a stronger effect. I could understand that my body needs some time to adjust, but I would expect some change by now. If this persists through to next friday when they told me to call them about how its affecting me, should I attempt to move up another dosage, down to two again, or to an entirely different pill?

Also I should elaborate on my pain. Ehlers-Danlos, and Hyper Mobility cause me to have chronic pain in my knees. Bursitis in my hips causes chronic pain, but that subsides if I am laying on my sides (I switch every hour or so). Both make it so I cannot sit up for longer than an hour or two, and the doctors have no idea how to fix the pain since two full 6-8 week land physical therapies didn't help, nor did the 8 weeks of warm water therapy. I am just adding all the details I can if that helps my question any.

daisyprincess is offline New Member

Have you got some info on this?