Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tomjohnson84
  • 1 Post By ayshifaa
8 Years on Lexapro. Long term Problems? Help?!!?
    tomjohnson84 is offline New Member

Default 8 Years on Lexapro. Long term Problems? Help?!!?

I started taking Lexapro in the 2005/2006 area for anxiety, panic attacks, etc . I was taking 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night. 20mg a day total. I had anxiety all my life, and when I started taking it, I didn't have it anymore. I was doing good until about 2010. Around the summer of 2010 I was having a lot of anxiety coming back.

Then In 2011, About March, I was feeling weird, I felt dizzy, lightheaded, upset stomach, trouble keeping my balance. I didn't know why. I went for some tests, one of the tests included getting bloodwork done. I have had bloodwork done a dozen times or more, and never experienced what I was about to experience. After 1 and 1/2 tubes, I felt a shot in my stomach, fulled with fear, I said I have to stop. I felt like I was having the life sucked out of me. It felt like I was being murdered. All my organs were being squeezed, then I broke out in a sweat, and felt like I was losing conscience, as I was about to die, but after about 20 minutes it went away. I was tramatized and wouldn't leave my home for a day, with PTSD. I got over it a day or two later.

Also in 2011, during march and april, Still with those horrible symptoms, I was also taking vitimins and eating grapefruits, not a lot but some. I found out grapefruits increased the medication, what I was told. So I stopped with the grapefruits.

In early april, I believe. I was watching TV at night, and all of a sudden out of no where, I felt an expolosion of energy force me out of my seat, I felt a light feeling of horror, dread and terror. I called mom for help and took an ativian. I had no idea what caused this, but it was scary. It lasted maybe 5-10 minutes.

Then on April 27th 2011. I went to goto bed, and I felt like there was a delay or the blood or oxygen wasn't going to my brain at all. I started to feel intense fear, horror, terror, as well as powerful inner sensations in my chest and stomach. It felt like I was being forced to move, walk, I walked for 20 minutes around my hotel, scared out of my mind, I couldn't slow down, or the sensations would get worse. After 10 minutes, 1/2 way walking, It felt like my brain was turning inside out, and I was going into a coma. I felt like I was being tortured alive. You could not imagine the horror, the fear, and the sensations. I had no idea what caused this I called from my cell phone, Mom pick me up, something is happening to me. She came, and I took an ativian.

After this horrible experience, I felt fine, I forgot about it, and moved on, I did carry Ativan ever where I went. I didn't know what did this, The only thing that came to mind, is somebody was doing voo doo on me, or I was being attacked by supernatural forces, with no answer to a way out.

So I was doing just fine, fine all the way until October. In October I got me a new job. It was my 2nd day on the job, after about 2 hours or so, I felt something coming over me. It wasn't the same as in april, but it felt like an explosion in my chest, and a snap in my brain with all kinds of inner pains, It felt like I was being tortured, I felt like I was going to throw up. I was scared, I walked right off the job, and went home, and stayed in bed, trying to relax. I told my boss, there was an emergency.

I went back the next day, and finished up the week fine, Then I had to do a job 7hrs away, when I went 7hrs a way, the store coach, was very mean, and put me under a lot of stress, I told my boss, I didn't want to do, she told me, she had nobody else, I had anxiety. I went anywhere after getting there 7 hours. I layed in bed, trying to sleep, I awoke with this feeling of fear, and horror. I felt scared out of my mind. I felt like I couldn't function. It started getting worse, I started shaking violently in bed. I thought I was going to end up in the state hospital 7 hours from home. Mom game me 3 doses of Klonopin. She was scared and upset to see me violently shaking for a long 10 minutes, she didn't know what to do. I brought my mom with me, because I was scared, after everything that happened this year.

After this, I went home, I drove home for 5 hours, and then started getting high anxiety like I was going crazy. I took an Ativan or klonopin , I don't remember, tried to relax, drove home, and stayed in bed for days. This was just the beginning of 3 months of living hell to follow.

After this, I went home, I drove home for 5 hours, and then started getting high anxiety like I was going crazy. I took an Ativan or klonopin , I don't remember, tried to relax, drove home, and stayed in bed for days. This was just the beginning of 3 months of living hell to follow.

I was fulled with fear I felt scared to pick up the phone, or leave the house. I emailed my boss, and was honest with her. She didn't believe me, I think she thought I left because I was happy with the hotel. But that wasn't the case. I lost a very good job over this >>>>.

The next 3 months, I was having anxiety, depression, panic, scared to leave my home, I felt horrible, I few times, It felt like I was having aftershocks, I don't know what word to use to describe it. I was having the same thing happen to me, what happened in that hotel, but coming in less and less intensity. I felt a snap in my brain, following by uncontrollable shaking. I didn't think I was going to make it to my 29th birthday without being driven to suicide.

I felt feelings of hostility and aggressiveness of no reason at times.

Finally I got better, like I was being healed, I wasn't ready to goto work again. In March 2012 We moved, and I had to find a doctor. I went to 3 different doctors. I told them everything. 2 of them had no idea what I was taking about. 1 of them told me he has heard of it, and Lexapro has a 27hr half life or something, and I should Not be taking 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening, I should only be taking 20mg once a day, that's it. He said, "no wonder you are overdosing" I told him I also wanted to ween down my medication, He said No I should go up. I went to another doctor, He told me to just drop down to 10mg overnight. I told him NO. I Want to go down to 17.5 for 2 weeks, then 15 for a few months, then 12.5, and then 10mg. He said it didn't matter either way, but he had no problem doing it my way, If that was what I felt safe with.

So from March/April 2012 until August 2012, appox I weened myself down to 10mg, and I was doing fine. I felt a little dizzy/upset stomach from time to time. I was taking 10mg from August until today. I am still on 10mg today. After doing this, I thought this would never ever happen again. I had no grapefruits, I had only taking 1 pill. Everything was fine, I didn't want to change anything, because I couldn't taken anymore pain and horror. I was doing fine until June 2nd 2013.

I was taking pills of cayenne pepper, because I heard its suppose to help you to lose weight. On the Night of June 2nd 2013. I took 50mg of Diphenhydramine to help me sleep. I fell asleep and awoken 2 hours later around 2 in the morning. I was freezing cold. I started feeling high anxiety, then it turned into a snap in my brain, I went to take an Ativan, it felt like time was slowing down, or I was freezing in time. I was getting these pains in my chests, It felt like I was being tortured with something. I was banging on my moms door. Help me, somethings happening to me. Im going crazy. I went to lay down, talking in horror, whats happening to me. Im being tortured, Pray for me, im scared to death. Then something else happened, I started shaking violently in bed uncontrollably for 5 minutes. It settled down. I fell asleep, and oversleep. The next 3 night, I took an Ativan before bed, I was scared to goto sleep.

I had flashbacks of what happened for 3-5 days, I was scared, I also had aftershocks of what happened, they kept coming in less and less intensity within th next 2 weeks or so. It was Friday night, when I felt, a weird sensation in my brain, like a fog, like I couldn't explain it, but I sent my boss an email, I couldn't work this weekend, I was scared, There is something wrong with my brain, or something.

I said to my mom, I cant take these spells anymore. I might commit suicide to end it. She told me if I did this, I am guaranteed to go to hell for eternity.

Im scared, I don't know what to do, If it comes back, if it gets worse, if I am so scared im driven to kill myself, im afraid to die, I don't want to kill myself. I am being tortured, and I don't know what to do to make it stop. I don't want to wake up in hell, if I kill myself. I don't want to kill myself, I just can not take these spells anymore. Plus I don't know whats causing them or if they will continue forever.

I almost checked into the mental hospital around June 9th, but I started feeling better, I didn't want to. I feel homesick in those places, Like a prisoner, plus, the doctors are guessing, a lot don't know what they are doing. There are no guarantees.

I want to find a doctor, but they wont take me until August. I have no doctors. I might be dead by August.

The only solution I can think of is to ween myself down from 10mg to 7.5mg, and then 5mg. Am I having some kind of long term effects of this medication? Is this related?
    ayshifaa and Mauriguy like this.

ayshifaa is offline New Member

i'm sorry to hear about your experience. i also have recently started taking lexapro 10mg at night. this is my first time seeing a psychiatrist and i have attempted suicide about twice and i have had suicidal thoughts for all my life. it's only been a week since i have started taking the medication and i can't remember sleeping so well as i do now. i haven't had any side effects up until now and i hope the depression goes away. the doctor said i would have to continue the pill for an year and stop eventually.
    i hope you are doing fine. i pray that you find your peace. hopefully things will get better.
    daintypet likes this.

coloresue is offline New Member

You probably have panic attacks and/or other anxiety disorder(s). You need a good psychiatrist who'll prescribe what you need to keep these under control. It might be 2 drugs...let the psych Dr. figure it out. You might want to blame the medicine or be medicine free, but you need to be on a maintenance dose to help with these attacks. The attacks trigger a flight-or-fight response in you. You also probably will be put on a drug you can take as soon as the attack hits. Best wishes for you.

Mauriguy is offline New Member

Default Lexapro

Hi there! I just can imagine how much suffering is there in your life right now. Had GAD since adolescence. Took Seroxat in my mid twenty's just to suffer from its acute addiction and terrible withdrawal effect.

I had a terrible GAD episode two years back when I had a BPPV episode which triggered GAD at a time that I was planning to catch a flight. How horrible that was...thinking that I would die in the plane, sweating and everything. Once I reached India, I searched for a psychiatrist who prescribed 10 then 20mg lexapro, Thanks to that I was able to fly back home. I remember having heart fearful strokes that jerked me up..my BP rose to 18/10 and I thought that was it.

Here I am in 2016 with a 2.5mg dose but still not knowing what to do next. I think you check for a good psychiatrist. I'm for Yoga also with handstand poses which oxygenate the brain. Give a try. Good luck.