Acute serotonin syndrome; "mixing prescribed meds" ?????
    NAT25GIOCO is offline New Member

Default Acute serotonin syndrome; "mixing prescribed meds" ?????

Hi there everyone?
    Hope you're all doing well or on your way to it. I have read so many of these experiences and its just unreal to me, not to mention. ...FRIGHTENING. I have been seeing PN docs for 12 yrs now due to a hit n run accident. I have another new doc now, an with that, a new regimen of meds !!! Like alot of patients; I have a hard time trusting !! I REALLY want to though. I also take antidepressants. On Prozac 60mgs , Fentanyl patches and just recently Doxepin (tricyclic antidepressant)? It's only 10mgs at bedtime. From all of what you poor guys have gone through by getting SS, I'm very sorry. It seems like a form of hell. I've been on Prozac for years and the new doc didn't change that but the mix of Doxepin scares me. Whomever of any one of you that got SS remembers what the first signs were or may have UNFORTUNATELY , know something about Doxepin with Prozac & fentanyl, like anything; I would sooo Greatly Appreciate the info along with your story of SS and how it affected you. But only if you'd like to reflect on what you went through.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-19-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Doxepin can help you sleep at night. As long as your doctor knows about your other meds, there should not be a problem with SS at the doses you are taking. If you would rather not add the doxepin, you can try natural sleep aids as I assume your doctor added the doxepin because you are not sleeping well. Just beware that some sleep aids contain L-tryptophan which does interact with Prozac so you might want to stay away from that one. Small amounts of melatonin, magnesium, valerian root, camomile tea, tart cherry, might be helpful, as well as using light therapy (bright light in morning helps sleep at night.)