Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By SylviaVonnegut
Ambien Taper?
    SylviaVonnegut is offline New Member

Default Ambien Taper?

Hi. I've been taking 10mg of Ambien nightly for insomnia for about 5 months now. I have 2 refills left and figured I would just stop after that. I figured there would be rebound insomnia, but have read about some more serious withdrawl symptoms. So, I have about 60 pills left (with refill) and figured I should taper. I have only found a slow taper schedule on line that requires about 119 pills for the 10mg nightly dose. I need a quicker taper. I could probable get a another few refills from my doc, but would rather not. Anybody have any taper ideas? Would it be ok to go ahead and cut my dose in half (to 5)? Anybody with experience with this? I didn't count on a physical dependency. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sylvia

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by SylviaVonnegut View Post
    Hi. I've been taking 10mg of Ambien nightly for insomnia for about 5 months now. I have 2 refills left and figured I would just stop after that. I figured there would be rebound insomnia, but have read about some more serious withdrawl symptoms. So, I have about 60 pills left (with refill) and figured I should taper. I have only found a slow taper schedule on line that requires about 119 pills for the 10mg nightly dose. I need a quicker taper. I could probable get a another few refills from my doc, but would rather not. Anybody have any taper ideas? Would it be ok to go ahead and cut my dose in half (to 5)? Anybody with experience with this? I didn't count on a physical dependency. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sylvia

Sylvia ..... You will go a short time with some sleep problems but that should be the extent of it. You shouldn't have any w/d problems per se other than a few nights of little sleep.

I've never had any problems starting or stopping with Ambien but like you I never used them a long time consecutively. I think you're probably worrying more than necessary. You've used the meds properly and not for a long time. I think you'll do just fine tapering just like you said.

Cut the dose to 5mg and see if you sleep okay. That would be great if it works good like that. It's smart to check it out now before you get to the end of your scripts and find you don't have quite as easy of a time as I'm describing. This gives us time to react to whatever symptoms you may experience.

Let us know what happens and I'll stick this out with you if you need me to. We do this every day here. God bless.

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate your advice. I have suffered from insomnia, since I was a kid and it was exacerbated by my father's sudden death. The ambien has worked quite well for me these past few months, but I know I can't continue on it forever. I will half the dose and let you know if there are any problems other than rebound insomnia. Thanks again for the advice and peace of mind. I ran across some things online about folks suffering from withdrawl symptoms similar to benzo withdrawl. Yikes! I will certainly solicit advice from you if there are problems.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

It's a VERY small number of people who react to stopping ambien similarly to a benzo w/d. Let me know how you do. You're in my prayers. God bless.
    ChiToSeattle likes this.

LondonToLA is offline Member

Sylvia,

Sorry for the short post, but I was wondering how you are doing.

I am one of the people for whom Ambien detox mimiced Benzo withdrawal - I ended up in the hospital with seizures. But then again, I've been using Ambien daily AND nightly since 2006.

I really hope you're doing well - I am following your post as I can definately relate.

Thanks you again for the advice Robert and the prayers!

LondonToLA- Well, I have split the dose to 5mg the past 2 nights. Other than a little trouble falling asleep (1st night worse than last night), I'm not suffering from anything that I didn't have before. Wow, a seizure! How scary! Can I ask how much you have been taking daily? I've been taking one 10mg pill (now 5mg the past two days) once a day for almost 5 months. I'm usually asleep within 15-20 minutes, so I can't imagine taking it during the day. Perhaps you should try a taper like me. I did find a slow taper schedule online that might make it a bit more safe to taper
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-21-2016 at 11:50 PM.

whoops, I hit send before I was finished. LondonToLA, I wish you the best. It appears there are folks here that might be able to help you with a taper more appropriate to your situation. Keep me posted on your progress as well.
    ChiToSeattle likes this.

LondonToLA is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by SylviaVonnegut View Post
    whoops, I hit send before I was finished. LondonToLA, I wish you the best. It appears there are folks here that might be able to help you with a taper more appropriate to your situation. Keep me posted on your progress as well.
    Sylvia,

No need to apologize to me! I had started with Ambien in 2006 taking the prescribed dose at first but then swiftly (now I realize this) upping my dosage and abusing the drug (along with opiates!). I stopped cold turkey at my worst taking 5-6 10mg Ambien per day and night so I came off an average 50mg per day habit.

I'm glad you are stopping now while you are at 5-10mg per night instead of where I am now. I wish you all the best. I'll be here as often as I can. Robert is really awesome so I urge you to take whatever he says and put it into pracitum. . I wish i had heeded his advice earlier.

ChiToSeattle is offline New Member

Default How can this end?

I know this was a long time ago but it's now for me. So many wonderful people helping. I am caught fighting to rid Ambien and cannot. Very similar to LondonToLA has described per how I got there. (Love to discuss our similar journeys some time.)

1. Can you just taper Ambien somehow and be free of the mental damage it does?

2. I received Trazodone (50 MG 1/day). Can this work to get off Ambien and if so how best? (1-2 10 MG ambiens per day now). Stop Ambien and sub or taper while Trazodone ,... ?

Any help is truly welcome!

Thanks so much