Celexa and Psychotic episode...Please Help
    ThatArmyGuy is offline New Member

Default Celexa and Psychotic episode...Please Help

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I was referred here from another forum. This is a copy of my post from that forum, hope you guys can help.

Okay, I'm obviously new and this is gonna be one zinger of a 1st post, but I'm in serious need of answers and any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is gonna be long. 1st my Questions: Has anybody ever heard of something like this happening? What could be possible causes?

So far, it seems to be a combo of stress, missed dosage and alcohol. I'm seeing a doctor ASAP, but I really need to get this off my chest and talk to people who have experience taking this drug.

BACKGROUND: I'm a veteran who was diagnosed with depression after I got out of the Army. Well, I use the term diagnosed loosely. I spent 45 minutes talking to a shrink at the VA and he gave me a referral to my primary doctor for AD medication. I was started on 20mg Celexa. I noticed no change even after a couple of months and told this to my doctor. The doctor just kept upping the dosage 1st to 40mg then to 60mg. After no change then I got fed up and quit the medication. Had some minor issues for a few weeks afterwards but did okay. Fast forward several months. I'm having depression again and decide to give the Celexa another shot. I had quite a bit left from where I'd quit it and exp. date was still good so I started stepping back onto it. From 20mg to 40mg over a couple of months. I've been at 40mg for 3-4 weeks now when something happened.

THE INCIDENT: I was home on vacation for a couple of weeks between semesters. I don't really like going home as there are some members of my family with severe mental problems and I'd just as soon not deal with them. I'd also missed a couple of doses of my meds with everything that goes on when I'm home. Anyway, some of my family and friends were drinking at the house. I've drank on this medicine before on several occasions but never had a problem. Apparently not this time. I'm normally a very mellow, happy drunk, never had issues and always know my limit. This time I seem to have suffered some kind of psychotic episode. I only remember little bits and pieces and I don't think the couple of members of my family who are still willing to talk to me are telling me everything, I can tell. From what I've been told and pieced together myself ,well...Apparently I threatened someone's life, busted down a door, sat in the floor rocking back and forth crying something like "i think I'm gonna hurt someone, I don't want to hurt anyone". Then ran through the house grabbing all of my stuff and taking it to the car ranting "something's wrong, something's wrong, I need to go". Next truly coherent moment I have, I'm 80 miles down the interstate. NOTHING like this has ever happened to me before and I'm honestly scared out of mind. That was NOT me that night.

AFTERMATH: As stated, only a couple of members of my family are talking to me now. I've offered to turn myself into the police if anyone wanted to press charges. Luckily (I guess) nobody is going to as of right now. I went to the VA the next day and Mental Services won't see me without a referral from my Primary and they won't see me before the 14th of next month. When I went to the clinic and explained the situation, the lady at the desk wouldn't let me see the doctor even after I explained the sitiuation and told me to just stop taking the meds until my appointment. I'm offiically through with the VA now. I talked to a friend who's been a nurse in the area for several years and she gave me the name and number to a civilian psychiatrist who's supposed to really good. I'm calling them 1st thing in the morning. I'll pay out of pocket for this. I've also been having random anxiety attacks (which I've never really had before) and severe depression (especially after finding out what I have so far). Its gotten to the point that I took my gun and knife collection (plus anything sharp) and all prescription meds(pain killers and muscle relaxers) out of my house and had a friend lock them up at his place with orders NOT to give them back to me for at least a couple of months no matter what I may say.

IN CLOSING: I'm a fairly laid back guy. Logical. Drug Free. Clean record. Law-abiding. Do my best to stay out of any kind of trouble. Think my way through everything I do. This situation has me scared out of my mind. I'm hoping to get an appointment with the civilan doc quickly and I'm leaving myself the option of going to the emergency room and checking myself into the hospital if I get any worse. My nurse friend told me NOT to quit the Celexa cold turkey so I'm still taking it even though I'm scared to. I THINK I'm gonna be alright. I'm mainly taking precautions in case I have another fit. Anything obviously dangerous is out of the house and I have friends who have offered to let me stay with them if I need. I don't want to have something happen and hurt myself before I get back under control. Also poured out all alcohol in the house and have been drinking water like a fiend to help detox. I don't know what happened the other night, but I NEVER want to be that way again.

erinkj is offline Senior Member

Arrow ThatArmyGuy

Hello. I have NOT had a similar experience with celexa but, I am well educated in terms of psych med's and conditions. I will tell you that you are NOT the only person to have this type of experience while taking a psych med. The exact cause of your episode may never be known, however there are some logical explanations that come to mind concerning what happened to you. The first is this: If you had missed doses of celexa (depending on how many doses or days in a row you skipped) you may have been having withdrawal from the celexa which can and do manifest in unusual even aggressive behaviors. Combine the missed celexa doses with alcohol (especially if you had consumed alot and/or drank something other than your norm, like whiskey if you are a beer drinker, get my drift?) Then it would not have taken much or even anything at all to set you off. I have seen this happen several times. Sounds like you had a "black-out drunk" so it is doubtful that you will ever realy know what if anything set you off. The aggression can easily be attributed to the change in serotonin level that would have been brought on by missing your celexa dose and adding alcohol on top of that which can have a harsh impact on brain chemicals. Even though you have drank while on celexa before without having such a reaction, it is very possible to have such a reaction if you drink after missing your med dose especially the more doses you miss...the more days in a row that you miss the med, the more likely you are to have unusual symptoms and behavioral experiences. What you are dealing with "after the fact" is similar to a "post traumatic" reaction to the episode. You are stressed to the gills about this episode that you had and it's repercussions which is freaking you out. And because you do not have any answers as to "why" it happened in the first place your mind has been unable to let it go which, only serves to make you feel worse and more freaked out. S*cks, I know but, you must do your absolute best not to focus to much on what happened. I know that is easier said than done but, the more you let this stick in your head, the more you hyper focus you will have toward it and that stresses the living cr*p out of you. So, do your best to keep yourself occupied and try to relax as much as possible at least until you see a new dr. Your friend is 100% correct....DO NOT stop taking the celexa cold turkey, that will only make things worse....SSRI withdrawls are a b*tch and the symptoms s*ck! A second possibility is that you could have been slipped a "mickey" Only you know where you were, who you were with, etc but, I do know that it is not uncommon to have someone drop something in a strangers drink....I have a Friend who had some Ecstasy dropped into his beer at a bar awhile back. He was also on an SSRI med and Ecstasy is a serotonin affecting drug...when you combine the med, the ex and alcohol...WOW talk about a psychotic trip! He landed in the E.R. and his tox screen came back positive for extacy....He was in effect suffering a serotonin syndrome reaction to the combo which made him freak out....He went ballistic and changed like jekyl and hyde! So, Luckily my friend was in the company of his wife and many friends, none of whom do any drugs at all and all were able to vouch that he had not taken ANY drugs...The best they could ever figure was that the Ex got dropped in his beer while unattended as he shot pool. I hope some of this helps ease your mind a bit....If you have any questions or, if I can be of further help in any way, please let me know...Peace...Erin

lolly_on_maui is offline New Member

Default me too

Hi ThatArmyGuy,

I had the exact same thing happen to me on Neurontin. I thought I had totally lost my mind. You can read my post under Neurontin Psychosis!

It was A number one the scariest event of my life.

I also had a little bit more alcohol than usual, and I'm sure that had something to do with it.

I stopped the Neurontin right away, since I was only taking it for hot flashes and not seizures, like it is normally prescribed for.

Hang in there buddy! You are not alone! No one replied to my post, so it was really nice to see yours. (sorry you went through it, of course). I was wondering if anyone else had ever had this type of reaction!

warm alohas,
    Lolly

RunGun is offline New Member

Cool Celexa withdrawal

Over a decade ago I used celexa for over a month before stopping. After a month I went through withdrawal and developed major brain zaps. I started hearing voices and I thought it was God speaking to me. God was telling me to kill myself including alot of school children so the next few weeks I planned how I was going to do it with every detail mapped out. One day I couldn't help my self and commited a very serious offence. I was arrested and put in jail into solitary confinement. During the trial they gave a Insanity verdict. I didn't have to say a word my lawyer did the talking. I was sent to a hospital for the criminally insane. I spent a year before seeing the review panel and asking to be released back into society. They denied it and said I was extremely sick and commited a very serious offence. A team of doctors told the review panel what I told them and they said they werent going to release me because I said I was planning to massacre innocent school children. I ended up spending a decade in the system before being released back into society. I did really well and a team of doctors noticed. My lawyer helped me win my case in front of the review panel and I was allowed to live in society without any conditions. I claimed that celexa withdrawal made me extremely psychotic and the sole reason why I was sick and that all senseless mass murderers were taking a ssri antidepressant. I no longer have to see a doctor or psychiatrist or take my meds. I dont have to check in to see a probation officer. I have all my freedoms because my Lawyer also said in a few years my criminal record would be purged or expunged so I could find a job if the exployer ask for a exployment criminal record background check.

RunGun is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by RunGun View Post
    Over a decade ago I used celexa for over a month before stopping. After a month I went through withdrawal and developed major brain zaps. I started hearing voices and I thought it was God speaking to me. God was telling me to kill myself including alot of school children so the next few weeks I planned how I was going to do it with every detail mapped out. One day I couldn't help my self and commited a very serious offence. I was arrested and put in jail into solitary confinement. During the trial they gave a Insanity verdict. I didn't have to say a word my lawyer did the talking. I was sent to a hospital for the criminally insane. I spent a year before seeing the review panel and asking to be released back into society. They denied it and said I was extremely sick and commited a very serious offence. A team of doctors told the review panel what I told them and they said they werent going to release me because I said I was planning to massacre innocent school children. I ended up spending a decade in the system before being released back into society. I did really well and a team of doctors noticed. My lawyer helped me win my case in front of the review panel and I was allowed to live in society without any conditions. I claimed that celexa withdrawal made me extremely psychotic and the sole reason why I was sick and that all senseless mass murderers were taking a ssri antidepressant. I no longer have to see a doctor or psychiatrist or take my meds. I dont have to check in to see a probation officer. I have all my freedoms because my Lawyer also said in a few years my criminal record would be purged or expunged so I could find a job if the exployer ask for a exployment criminal record background check.
    My employment criminal record is clean and there is no idication that any crime was commited. The Police even told me that the adolescent brain doesn't fully develop till after adulthood while handing me my papers. I guess he was trying to say It wasn't my fault.