Consistent restlessness in arm, getting worse over time
    Guyinboston is offline New Member

Default Consistent restlessness in arm, getting worse over time

I have been having consistent restlessness in my arm (both, but much worse in my left arm and wrist/fingers) for ~3 months now.

It's been consistently getting worse and worse, or so it seems. I haven't been able to type on the computer for more than 5-10 minutes without stopping or having it feel really uncomfortable. Many times when I am holding an object in my hand, I feel like I am going to drop it. And it's affected my sleep tremendously, since it feels like my arm and wrist/fingers are constantly moving.

I've gone to the general doctor once, and did a blood test that came out normal. He referred me to a neurologist that did some quick tests that seemed to be fine, including grip strength and said there's no obvious tremors in my hands and arm. (I would disagree with him though since I tested sleeping on top of my arms and it always feels like its shaking or moving or heavily pulsating...) He made me get a neck MRI whcih I did but don't have the results yet. He also ruled out ALS based on his expertise.

I just want to be proactive in figuring out what exactly the problem is, since these doctors always take their time. It's disrupted my daily life, and has tripped me out since I have been completely healthy up to this point.

Would love to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions, or a similar experience. Thanks in advance--I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyinboston View Post
    I have been having consistent restlessness in my arm (both, but much worse in my left arm and wrist/fingers) for ~3 months now.

It's been consistently getting worse and worse, or so it seems. I haven't been able to type on the computer for more than 5-10 minutes without stopping or having it feel really uncomfortable. Many times when I am holding an object in my hand, I feel like I am going to drop it. And it's affected my sleep tremendously, since it feels like my arm and wrist/fingers are constantly moving.

I've gone to the general doctor once, and did a blood test that came out normal. He referred me to a neurologist that did some quick tests that seemed to be fine, including grip strength and said there's no obvious tremors in my hands and arm. (I would disagree with him though since I tested sleeping on top of my arms and it always feels like its shaking or moving or heavily pulsating...) He made me get a neck MRI whcih I did but don't have the results yet. He also ruled out ALS based on his expertise.

I just want to be proactive in figuring out what exactly the problem is, since these doctors always take their time. It's disrupted my daily life, and has tripped me out since I have been completely healthy up to this point.

Would love to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions, or a similar experience. Thanks in advance--I appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I would suggest that you also consult a physical therapist and a psychologist. When the cause of the pain is a mystery some psychological roots should also be considered, there is also the possibility for the pain to be psychosomatic. Are you anxious? there are some research that proves the correlation between anxiety and frequent pain in the arms. Have you ever felt numbness in your arms?

Maybe the problem is not in the muscles but in the nerves, blood vessels, joints or bones. Did your doctor considered peripheral vascular disease, carpal tunnel syndrome, and polymyalgia rheumatica? There are many possible causes and some have same symptoms. Once you know what it is it'll be easier to treat. I know it's been really hard for you but all you can do is wait maybe the MRI can show us something. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help it's just really hard to know for sure what's causing your pain. And I can't give out more tips because no diagnosis is yet to be made. Drink tea and use cold/hot compress whenever you're in pain. Let me know the results of the MRI. Good luck.