Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By leejcaroll
DEA at doctors office - is this Normal ?
    godwetrust is offline New Member

Default DEA at doctors office - is this Normal ?

I was at my doctors today. My general practioner is also my pain mgmnt. doc (yep, its really a good arrangement). A DEA person in a suit introduced himself, and then looking at the appointment listing asked me my name and then we proceeded to complete a urine. No issue there, cuz what is have in my system is what is supposed to be there and nothing else.

I had been to places where the office conducted random urine tests but never had the freakin DEA show up. Anybody got any word on this?
    Common or is this doc possibly under a microscope?

thanks,
    t

godwetrust is offline New Member

note also the so called agent did not address himself a DEA agent. The doc said that.

unemployedDFW is offline New Member

I don't know, but am curious to find out!!!

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Wow... I've never heard of such a thing... be sure to post to let us know what you find out. (Yes, I'd ask the doctor!!!)

Jasmine79 is offline Junior Member

I have never heard of DEA appearing at a clinic or doctor's office. Unless you are seeing a "dirty doctor" (one who writes scripts simply for profit rather than for legitimate medical concerns) this seems to me a violation of doctor/patient confidentiality. Were you forced to pee under some kind of threat?

I think this is abominable. People should be able to seek treatment without fear of legal repercussions.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Default abominable???

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine79 View Post
    I have never heard of DEA appearing at a clinic or doctor's office. Unless you are seeing a "dirty doctor" (one who writes scripts simply for profit rather than for legitimate medical concerns) this seems to me a violation of doctor/patient confidentiality. Were you forced to pee under some kind of threat?

I think this is abominable. People should be able to seek treatment without fear of legal repercussions.
    I don't know why you assume that it's something "abominable" - the DEA is there to TRY to protect society from drug abuse. The reason they were in this office we may never know - but it could be any number of things. If one (or more) of this doctor's patients were seen to be "doctor shopping" or seen to be abusing narcotics, it's quite normal for the DEA to follow up with the doctor(s) involved.

Besdies, doctors are HUMAN - they make mistakes. SOME doctors may be writing scripts just for profit. However, more often, it is simply that many doctors do not recognize that their patients are becoming addicted - the doctors themselves do not have sufficient education in addiction. Most medical schools don't address addiction adequately. Many doctors dispense meds "willy-nilly," as it's the easiest response to a patient's complaints.

Sometimes, people need to be protected from themselves! Addiction is blind - it sneaks up on people, and they are hooked long before they realize it. If the DEA stepping in may save some folks the horrors of becoming addicted, by watching for warning signs, then good for them.

If you are abusing drugs or doctors, then there are legal repercussions. If nothing being done is wrong, there is no need to be concerned. Rather, be grateful that they are doing their job.

Ruth

leejcaroll is offline New Member

Default Pain Patients and addiction

Those with chronic pain disorders rarely become addicted., some may become dependent which is very different then addiction yet the chornic pain patient has become the victims of this witchhunt. Yes there are bad doctors but the DEA has gone so far over the line that many legit doctors have lost the ability to prescribe opioids or now refues to prescribe even to patients they have been prescribing for for many years. Many with chronic pain such as trigeminal neualgia CRPS MS Lupus RA etc may have no other options or options left then opioids and now many are no longer even being able to get them
    cmthomas07 likes this.