First day no Lexapro - think I might cold turkey it!
    Rollercoaster is offline Member

Default First day no Lexapro - think I might cold turkey it!

Day one

I started to get fat! after 6 months (losing tons of weight first was deceiving). So I'm quitting. I'm only on 5 mg so I am going to see if the impact / WD's are ok to just quit as opposed to tapering. I have not thrown them away - just in case

I would have normally taken one a few hours ago. Of course I feel fine - its far too early!

I am wondering whether to tel my husband or just ride it out. I think if I tell him I'll feel pressure and kind of feel as though I am being watched ... lol I'll keep it to myself for now.

I hope its fine - I really cant be asked with the whole WD's

Thanks all

xx

Default Day 4

.. I am using this thread as a type of journal - I hope that is ok ...

Well, day 4

I have sufficiently freaked myself out and read 101 posts from people 4 / 6 / 12 + months from stopping and still feeling the W/D. Needless to say, I hope to get over this quickly and painlessly.

Today is quite strange - back to work and I find myself feeling tingly in the hands - I have slurred words a little when speaking to team, which is just FANTASTIC lol

My head feels mushy - but pretty similar to how I feel when there is a storm coming but a little worse. Spaced out and vision a little burred.

I am more irritable than usual - but then before I was on Lexapro I was pretty irritable. So I think I need to get to grips with that and not blame W/D.

So far so good really

BTW

Would anyone happen to think I was silly not tapering even though I was just on 5mg?

I mean - can that be dangerous in any way? Just checking.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoaster View Post
    BTW

Would anyone happen to think I was silly not tapering even though I was just on 5mg?

I mean - can that be dangerous in any way? Just checking.
    Hi Rollercoaster
    I'm sorry I cont know to much about AD except that I don't like them I never stayed on them long enough to get depend on them , but my Daughter did take celixcia
    and quit c/t and had what she called brain zaps for about a month...
    Hope you are doing OK
    talk to you later, Melinda

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Yeah I'm also sorry I know nothing about them, other than the fact I cannot stand them. I've tried a few though including lexapro and quit them all, but I never made it past a month with those things.

Thank you Melinda and Yezdergerd

I am sorry if my replies seem to come a bit late, I'm in South East Asia - bit of the wrong time for forum boards on the whole

I'm doing ok, before Lexapro I used various 'issues' as crutches to avoid dealing with, well I guess 'myself' lol. I am trying not to slip in to using 'W/D' as a crutch. I think I could so easily blame every single mood on W/D which could consequently make it worse. One way or another, there is no going back for me now ...

I'll keep up the journal, I think it might be useful for anyone else thinking about stopping lexapro, and will be interesting to look back on later.

Today - day 5 - played hour of badminton this morning and remembered that before lexapro I really needed exercise to keep the happy juices running around. So that is going to help a lot I think - exercise. I am full of allergies which I think is the main reason my head feels a little achy and mushed ... I have read that lexapro acts as a kind of antihistamine and when you stop the body feels much more sensitive to allergies. Sneezing all over the place and feel a little obsessed about getting rid of dust haha

Its ok though, not bad at all. No brain zaps.

note: I am taking melatonin (3mg) as a natural sleep aid, and also taking resveratrol (100mg 98% pure micronized x 2 daily) - a natural antioxidant. I have found somewhere that does it pretty much pure.

Thanks again

Default Day 6

I wasn't really planning to update this daily (could get realy very boring haha) but things changed a little yesterday evening and I wanted to note it down.

Yesterday evening was the first time I felt quite strange - overly so.

Hands tingling, vision blurred and, brain in mush, felt a little sick, and like I wanted to go to the toilet a lot! I also felt a bit agoraphobic in the sense that I didnt feel up to talking to people because I felt like they might be able to detect what was going on inside my brain! .. I guess this a little bit of paranoia? I also felt down for a few moments - proper down - until I talked myself out of it (knowing its W/D REALLY does help )

This is what happened - I was working quite late (came back in to the office after putting kids to bed) - My Project Director came in to my office and had a flat out discussion about 'life'. It was nice and I found I had a lot of useful information to give him and what I said to him seemed to help him a lot. I dont know why he talked to me about it all, but its very nice to know that one of my team feels comfortable enough with me to talk to me so frankly. Anyhow, by the end of the conversation my head was COMPLETELY back to normal. Its as though forcing myself out of the box I'd inadvertently put myself in with this W/D - well not even forcing myself so much as having absolutely no choice - made it all go away.

SO, I am wondering just how much of this is psychological? No doubt there is such a thing as rapid withdrawal / discontinuation syndrome and the symptoms are REAL. But this episode has taught me regardless of this I think I might be able to ignore it by focusing on other things. This could even be life building because I should get in the habit of forcing myself to do stuff when I really strongly feel like I just cant.

Since the depletion of neurotransmitter acetycholine is soemthing that happens in MY head, and I know that MY HEAD can renew its seretonin levels it makes sense that through power of positive thinking and 'ignoring' and believing that MY body is in control I can change what is happening. After all, humans use 10% of the brain capacity - surly we are in more control than we think?

OK, well this is far too deep - one way or another its my coping mechanism if things to get a little bit too wired.

NOTE: I also contacted my therapist, who is currently on maternity leave, and she gave me a plan of action should the symptoms become intolerable. She's great and seems to know a lot about discontinuation.

NOTE 2: Took fish oil, resveratrol (98% pure) and querticin complext this morning to be on the safe side. I have instructed my husband to purchase calcium magnesium and Vit B complex today

Garrett22 is offline Member

You're doing great..

I am on day 5 of withdrawing off of

Morphine sulphate 30MG 3 times a day
    Percocet 7.5mg 4 times a day
    Xanax 1mg 3-4 times a day
    etc I am on anti seizure medication so that helps me avoid any unwanted seizures not like you feel petite malls anyways.. You are going to be fine that is such a low dose that it will subside I would throw the pills away if I were you..

Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett22 View Post
    You're doing great..

I am on day 5 of withdrawing off of

Morphine sulphate 30MG 3 times a day
    Percocet 7.5mg 4 times a day
    Xanax 1mg 3-4 times a day
    etc I am on anti seizure medication so that helps me avoid any unwanted seizures not like you feel petite malls anyways.. You are going to be fine that is such a low dose that it will subside I would throw the pills away if I were you..

Garrett
    WoW Garrett - seriously though I have it pretty freaking easy compared to you! Its all relative to your personal situation of course (bunch of people here have some SERIOUS come backs from lexapro) but I cant even begin to imagine withdrawing from a clinically addictive drug. YOU are doing great!!! My therapist as much as I love her tried to shove Rivotril (Clonazepam) down my throat for several weeks (months actually). It wasn't until I found this forum that I learned how addictive that stuff was - and just in the nick of time since I began to find myself really physically CRAVING it. It was then and reading all of your courageous life stories that I shoved every single one down the toilette - plus the script! FLUSH. I am so glad I did because 'under dr's supervision' its so so so easy to become, for want of a better phrase, a JUNKIE!

Keep in there Garrett - I have met many courageous people in my life, but none more so than YOU! And everyone else on this forum. You are my true inspiration.

Thank you.

luvy298 is offline Member

Default Lexapro and Tramadol

I was addicted to Tramadol for two years I was popping at least 30 pills a day. I started tapering off (no subs), basically I went cold turkey after tapering. I had horrible withdrawls, but I tried the best that I could to cover up my tracks so that no one would know that I was withdrawing (I have been clean for two months and three days). Two weeks after withdrawing from Tramadol my anxiety level was off the hook. I could not sit still so the doctor prescribed Lexapro I was taking 10mg a day. I started to realize that they were making me gain weight. I am a very health conscious person, exercise everyday, eat healthy; especially after withdrawing from Tramadol I promised myself that I would lead a healthier lifestyle. I gained about five pounds. I was only on them for a month. I stopped taking the lexapro cold turkey, thankfully I did not have bad withdrawls, but at night I could not sleep; I use to take them at night because they made me sleepy and during the day I could not afford to take them. I started taking a little benadryl at night; it has been about two weeks now that I have not been taking them and I feel great. I do take vitamins, B06, and B12 they work great together. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I am on the right track. Good luck with everything. You are going to feel good once you are off of them for good.

Your friend
    Luvy298

Quote Originally Posted by Rollercoaster View Post
    WoW Garrett - seriously though I have it pretty freaking easy compared to you! Its all relative to your personal situation of course (bunch of people here have some SERIOUS come backs from lexapro) but I cant even begin to imagine withdrawing from a clinically addictive drug. YOU are doing great!!! My therapist as much as I love her tried to shove Rivotril (Clonazepam) down my throat for several weeks (months actually). It wasn't until I found this forum that I learned how addictive that stuff was - and just in the nick of time since I began to find myself really physically CRAVING it. It was then and reading all of your courageous life stories that I shoved every single one down the toilette - plus the script! FLUSH. I am so glad I did because 'under dr's supervision' its so so so easy to become, for want of a better phrase, a JUNKIE!

Keep in there Garrett - I have met many courageous people in my life, but none more so than YOU! And everyone else on this forum. You are my true inspiration.

Thank you.
    All they do is try to give you thing's that will make your body addicted to it and keep taking it so they get more money it's a total scam.. I also got rid of the Fentanyl 100mcg patch on my own by choice hehe..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by luvy298 View Post
    I was addicted to Tramadol for two years I was popping at least 30 pills a day. I started tapering off (no subs), basically I went cold turkey after tapering. I had horrible withdrawls, but I tried the best that I could to cover up my tracks so that no one would know that I was withdrawing (I have been clean for two months and three days). Two weeks after withdrawing from Tramadol my anxiety level was off the hook. I could not sit still so the doctor prescribed Lexapro I was taking 10mg a day. I started to realize that they were making me gain weight. I am a very health conscious person, exercise everyday, eat healthy; especially after withdrawing from Tramadol I promised myself that I would lead a healthier lifestyle. I gained about five pounds. I was only on them for a month. I stopped taking the lexapro cold turkey, thankfully I did not have bad withdrawls, but at night I could not sleep; I use to take them at night because they made me sleepy and during the day I could not afford to take them. I started taking a little benadryl at night; it has been about two weeks now that I have not been taking them and I feel great. I do take vitamins, B06, and B12 they work great together. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I am on the right track. Good luck with everything. You are going to feel good once you are off of them for good.

Your friend
    Luvy298
    Thank you Luvy298

WELL DONE for getting this far TWO months and 3 days, mentally good! Kudos KUDOS!

The weight gain has been an issue for me also - at the start I couldn't keep weight on, but like so many it caught up with me and I started to gain weight ... all around my tummy ... so it wasn't even proportionate weight gain! I am also extremely health conscious. I have to admit though a bit too health conscious with a history of eating disorders. Bu that's a different story entirely lol. Since I have been off lexapro I have been SO hungry, but in a kind of normal way if that makes sense. I have been eating twice as much as I was on Lexapro and I am LOSING weight (just after one week). Lexapro had me eating really badly ... snacking on crackers, eating crisps and peanuts. Ugh!

I have to point out that I DO NOT need to lose weight, but it is comforting to realize how much I can eat under normal circumstances - I think I have a high metabolism.

I did take 2.5mg today and I think I am starting a tapering plan. I took it an hour or so ago and slowly but surly the tingling has gone away and I feel level headed. It might be too early to tell if the taking 2.5mg has helped since the W/D seemed to come and go anyway. I shall assess! If it has helped, I shall taper over a loooong period of time. Hopefully on such a low dose it will not affect my eating .. or for that matter orgasms. I had a terrible time on lexapro and last couple of days were fantastic - tmi!

Well, at least I know the eating properly and having orgasms is at the end of the tunnel ... a couple more months of not will not hurt in the grand scheme of things I suppose. I am just so dang impatient!

Please do stay in touch

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett22 View Post
    All they do is try to give you thing's that will make your body addicted to it and keep taking it so they get more money it's a total scam.. I also got rid of the Fentanyl 100mcg patch on my own by choice hehe..
    That is it isnt it Garrett? - Its appalling. But so true. And they say we live in a democracy! Well, I am telling you, economics dictate ALL of our choices, there is no such thing as democracy any more! In the area of pharmaceuticals its so freaking obvious but what can you do? What can you do!

luvy298 is offline Member

You are doing great. Keep up the good work. This forum has helped me so much; I thought I was the only person in this world that was going through this. My family does not accept imperfections; so I could not confide in anyone about my addiction. I discovered this forum and the wonderful people here that are just so caring and warm. They do not judge you, they just help you. I also have an eating disorder. I am anorexic, but with the help of god and the meetings that I go to I am able to accept myself for who I am. I do not have health insurance so these meetings help out so much. You are going to see a light at the end of that tunnel I promise you that. I thought I was not strong enough to overcome this addiction, along with my anorexia. I feel like a new person, but I never forget about the person I use to be when I was addicted because that is what helps me stay strong and never go back there again. I take it day by day. For all those people that have relapsed do not give up on yourself because you are strong and you are worth it.

Please stay in touch.

Your Friend
    Luvy298

Day 7 off those wretched pills...Anxiety is climbing of course though I have an anxiety disorder I'm seeing my therapist in 10 days she told me to get off most of the pain meds so she can help me with anxiety she was afraid I would die in my sleep from all those meds, boy is she gonna be surprised she gave me 6 months and I'm doing it in 2 weeks.