I think my husband is stealing my medications... again.
    faedreamer23 is offline New Member

Default I think my husband is stealing my medications... again.

Hello all,

I have narcolepsy, without cataplexy, though all other symptoms are there. My Dr. prescribed Nuvigil and Xyrem, with a possibility of a supplemental stimulant in the afternoons, such as Adderall or Ritalin, in the future, if the Nuvigil and Xyrem don't even me out (thankfully, I don't think I'll have to have that - every morning I feel more awake and refreshed than the day before, it's starting to last all day, and I'm not even at the therapeutic dose yet! :happy dance: ).

The medications are wonderful, but I think my husband is stealing some of them. He's addicted to stimulants (he drinks energy drinks like water), and what's odd is that all he does is sit on the computer when he's at home. Previously, I had to get a lock box for my son's ADD medication (he's on Adderall), because pills would mysteriously go missing from his bottle, even when I hid the bottle in my purse - he was short 3 one month, 5 the next (which I wrote off as maybe the grandparents might have them), then 15 went missing out of a bottle containing 45! My son is 7, and hates taking them, so I know he wasn't stealing them. I confronted my husband about it, and every time he has denied it, explained it away, whatever. Then he'll joke about wanting to make an energy cocktail, with the ice cubes made out of caffeinated water (yes, I've seen the water sold in stores), a monster and an Adderall thrown in the blender, so he wouldn't sleep for days. He's taken medications of mine, as well - I had what my Dr. called spastic neck for a little while, and was prescribed Flexeril. I was also prescribed temazepam for sleep (this is before we knew I had narcolepsy, which is accompanied by some insomnia at times). I noticed that some were going missing, and one night, I was in bed asleep, and my husband was rummaging through the medicine cabinet, loudly enough to wake me up. I asked him what was wrong, and he snapped that there wasn't anything left to help him sleep (I had taken my last Flexeril that night because I could feel my neck starting to tense up). He was furious.

I've been keeping both my son's and my medications in a lock box the Dr. gave me, and I keep the box and keys separate, with the keys usually on me or hidden someplace that no one else knows. So far, I don't think my husband knows where the box is. My son knows, so if he sees my husband getting into it, he can tell me so I know I need to hide it somewhere else, which hasn't happened yet, thankfully. No more pills have been stolen, until today. I figured my husband knew I meant business since I've expressed how his taking my son's and my medications is unacceptable and I won't tolerate it. So, wanting to trust the man I chose to spend the rest of my life with, I kept a 7-day pill container on my nightstand, with my pills for in the morning, including my Nuvigil, starting last night. Can you guess what was missing this morning??? My son is at the grandparents', so it wasn't him. I'm home alone, no sign of forceful entry (and I would've woken up). My husband's at work right now, and I won't see him until this evening. I'm trying to figure out how to approach this.

If anyone has any experiences or advice, I would love to hear it! Don't be afraid to tell me like it is - I'm a big girl, I can take it. I wouldn't come to an online forum expecting all daisies and butterflies So, on that note....

HELP!!!!!! Please and Thank You

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Does your husband have a history of addiction/using drugs? If he's stealing your (and your son's) medication, it's likely he's getting meds or drugs elsewhere as well. Stealing meds from other people isn't usually how it begins, but rather something that happens once addiction has already taken root. Of course, I could be wrong, but that behavior is pretty typical of someone who's already addicted or at least has a problem. The fact that he was "furious" when your Flexiril was gone is another red flag. I'm on the other side - I'm a recovering pill pain addict. A couple years into my addiction, I started stealing my husband's medications. That's not something I would've ever done before that.

You should think about asking him to take a drug test. You can buy a good one (that tests for different types of drugs; prescription and illegal) at a pharmacy or even online. If he takes it willingly, that's good. If he makes every excuse in the book and tries to turn it around on you, then there's your answer.

Try to get him talking. Ask him bluntly if he has a problem with pills or drugs. If he gets defensive and angry, then you can pretty much assume something is going on. Most people don't go ballistic if there's nothing to hide.

You may want to copy & paste your first post into a new thread on the Need to Talk board. There's a lot more traffic there and you'll get a ton of advice.

Good luck.
    Kat

faedreamer23 is offline New Member

Thank you! I'll try that approach