Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By Jennann4
I'm addicted to Xanax - How do I stop?
    rushnit is offline New Member

Angry I'm addicted to Xanax - How do I stop?

I have been prescribed Xanax for over a year and a half. I am an addict. I am now in recovery from Alcohol and other drugs and now want to stop taking my anxiety pills. How do I wean myself off? I am supposed to take my Xanax twice a day, they are 1mg. I haven't taken any since last Friday. I am really stressed out and angry...is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make it easier?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by rushnit View Post
    I have been prescribed Xanax for over a year and a half. I am an addict. I am now in recovery from Alcohol and other drugs and now want to stop taking my anxiety pills. How do I wean myself off? I am supposed to take my Xanax twice a day, they are 1mg. I haven't taken any since last Friday. I am really stressed out and angry...is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make it easier?

Xanax detox is tough. It has dangers too like seizures. You have to be careful with this. I normally wouldn't suggest a cold turkey for benzos. You have gone four days already so I hate to suggest taking anything though without knowing exactly how you are doing. I know you don't feel well. But have you been having electric shock syndrome? If you have you will know what it is. Please answer that question and if you are having it, tell me about it. Tell me about how things go when you sleep. Tell me exactly what is happening with you. Will wait until I see your reply to make any suggestions.
    meema60 likes this.

jpl788 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Xanax detox is tough. It has dangers too like seizures. You have to be careful with this. I normally wouldn't suggest a cold turkey for benzos. You have gone four days already so I hate to suggest taking anything though without knowing exactly how you are doing. I know you don't feel well. But have you been having electric shock syndrome? If you have you will know what it is. Please answer that question and if you are having it, tell me about it. Tell me about how things go when you sleep. Tell me exactly what is happening with you. Will wait until I see your reply to make any suggestions.

I had a benzo WD seizure coming off xanax. This was about a week and a half after my last dose as well. I would suggest a very slow ween off.

As for the electric shock syndrome, I'm having that now coming off Celexa. Is there anyway to tame it?

Default jpl788

Sadly the best thing that one can do for the electric shocks that I have had any luck with is a medicinal dose of benzo. I really hate to recommend that considering your history. Sometimes an antidepressant will help some people with this. Of course you are detoxing from one now so that is why you are having the symptoms you are having. How bad have the electric shocks been? How much xanax were you using prior to detox and for how long? Will try to make a suggestion based on your reply.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-07-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Sadly the best thing that one can do for the electric shocks that I have had any luck with is a medicinal dose of benzo. I really hate to recommend that considering your history. Sometimes an antidepressant will help some people with this. Of course you are detoxing from one now so that is why you are having the symptoms you are having. How bad have the electric shocks been? How much xanax were you using prior to detox and for how long? Will try to make a suggestion based on your reply.
    Well its been about a week maybe week and a half that I've been off Celexa and about two days ago were the first times I experienced any withdrawls. I've forgotten my Celexa at home on vacations before so I knew what I was going to face going pretty much cold turkey. The only symptom I have a problem with is the shocking sensations. They can be bad periodically throughout the day. Sometimes it will be a half hour or hour before I feel it for a moment or so.

I had a prescription for Xanax from August 06 until December 06. I was abusing it taking up to 15 miligrams a day sometimes. My average dose was probably about 7 miligrams a day. I ran out of my script and didn't want to buy it off the street so I just stopped taking it. I went a week before I had my seziure and after that I was hospitalized for 2 days and when I got out I experienced some withdrawls but nothing as bad as this(for celexa).

Not only did I fight addiction with Xanax, I had a steady opiate addicting I just kicked this past april. I was using Vicodin, Percocet, Oxycottin for about a year and a half and ended up having to go to rehab to fix that.

I'm sick of detoxing seems like thats all I do anymore hah. Its just ironic that the worse withdrawls I've had are from this stupid SSRI that I was prescribed in rehab!

My energy is low, I'm still functional though and probably from the outside cant even tell I'm withdrawing.

At least you have detoxed from about all the drugs one can detox from. There shouldn't be too much more you have to go through. I know it's a drag believe me.

Doesn't sound like the electric shocks are as bad as they CAN be. I have had them that literally lifted me off the floor. I mean they hurt bad. Felt like someone had stuck a huge electric cord down my throat or elsewhere. Be glad yours aren't like I'm describing. Of course that doesn't make your symptoms any better because they weren't just like mine.

As much as I hate the shocks the only option I know of other than taking benzo would be to take a small dose of the celexa. You've got over a week under your belt though. I really hate to see you taking more drugs with the history you have. I would probably call the dr in this instance and ask what he recommends. The seizure history concerns me with the existing shocks. You should probably be on dilantin or depakote while you are going through this with the celexa. Theses meds help as they are used as anti-seizure medications. Let me know how this goes for you. I really think you should be on one of the meds for seizures at least while all this is going on. I know you don't want to have another seizure. Good luck.

At least you have detoxed from about all the drugs one can detox from. There shouldn't be too much more you have to go through. I know it's a drag believe me.

Doesn't sound like the electric shocks are as bad as they CAN be. I have had them that literally lifted me off the floor. I mean they hurt bad. Felt like someone had stuck a huge electric cord down my throat or elsewhere. Be glad yours aren't like I'm describing. Of course that doesn't make your symptoms any better because they weren't just like mine.

As much as I hate the shocks the only option I know of other than taking benzo would be to take a small dose of the celexa. You've got over a week under your belt though. I really hate to see you taking more drugs with the history you have. I would probably call the dr in this instance and ask what he recommends. The seizure history concerns me with the existing shocks. You should probably be on dilantin or depakote while you are going through this with the celexa. Theses meds help as they are used as anti-seizure medications. Let me know how this goes for you. I really think you should be on one of the meds for seizures at least while all this is going on. I know you don't want to have another seizure. Good luck.

I'm thinking of calling my doctor. I have gone a week without Celexa before I couldn't take the DT from it anymore. I could take an 1/8th of a pill today and be fine tomorrow, however in 2 days I would be right back where I was today. I tried a taper method before getting off it but it seemed that no matter how small a dose I adjusted to, once I was not taking it at all I got the DT's.

I'm thankful I guess that my shocks aren't as bad as others have reported, but I do wonder how long these are expected to last. Like I said I have heard people say they never completely go away.

Default jpl788

If we do permanent damage to our CNS we can have some shocks last indefinitely. Hopefully that hasn't happened. I know I have some permanent CNS damage but thankfully I don't get the shocks any longer. I really do think that you should see the dr. This is where they can help. You would be smart I think to ask the dr for an anti-seizure medication if you are going to do this. I am confident the dr will either agree or tell you to not stop the celexa one or the other. Stay in touch. Good luck.

Yeah I should, but it wouldn't be probably until this upcoming Monday that I could go. I forgot to mention I was only on the Celexa from April 22nd until the past week, so hopefully that I did not cause any permanent damage in such a short time. Also, I was weening myself off Celexa since the beginning of July with my highest dose being around 5mg. I was even chopping quarters into halfs so I was taking a very small dose, just enough to not make me DT the next day.

I wasn't really that concerned about CNS damage from just from the celexa. I was thinking more about the accumulative effects of all the different drugs over time. That could cause the damage too. It's not likely, just a possibility. Good luck with the dr.

python134r is offline Member

Benzo dependence can be worse exponentially because of the risks involved if "just stopped" Death , although rare is in the equation so if possible discuss with a knowledgeable health care professional. Keep strong, it gets better

Quote Originally Posted by python134r View Post
    Benzo dependence can be worse exponentially because of the risks involved if "just stopped" Death , although rare is in the equation so if possible discuss with a knowledgeable health care professional. Keep strong, it gets better

I agree with what you are saying about the dangers of benzo dependence. However this person is not taking benzos. He hasn't taken benzos since 2006. I really doubt that he is having any benzo problems at this time.

No benzo addiction right now, I've taken maybe 6mg of Xanax since my seizure in 2006. I don't know how CNS damage is detected, but when I had my seizure they ran 10000 different tests on me(mainly because they couldn't figure out why I had the seizure, I wasn't aware benzo withdrawal could lead to a seizure so I didn't tell my doctor I stopped taking my xanax at first...whoops) Anyways all those tests came back fine and my brain was in good condition.

Last night I went out to the bar and i noticed alcohol kinda dumbed down the Electric Shock Syndrome somewhat. Its 7am and Ive been awake for an hour and I can tell I'm still going to be suffering today.

crystal01 is offline New Member

Exclamation addicted!

hi, ive been taking 2mg xanax for over 4 years! i am addicted! i cant go 1 day without them! some days i can only tkae 1 other days its 2 or 3! i really hate this! and i advise anyone, to stay clear of this drug! i need treatment, but with the economy i have lost my job and have no insurance! this drug has completely taken over my life, if i do go out of the house i have to have them with me at all times!! i would love to hear some replys! but bottom line is that i cannot stop taking this drug alone!

Anonymous Guest

Hi crystal
    Im going to give you a site to look at it will help you understand benzo w/d...
    benzo.org.uk
    look this up it will help

Talk to you later, Melinda

crystal01 is offline New Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi crystal
    Im going to give you a site to look at it will help you understand benzo w/d...
    benzo.org.uk
    look this up it will help

Talk to you later, Melinda
    Thanks Melinda, i went to the site and checked it out!

SerialShopper is offline New Member

I typed in "I'm addicted to xanax" in google and came upon this thread. What are these electric shocks you guys are talking about, please?

I've been taking xanax for 3 years and since my boyfriend left for Iraq, I'm taking about 2mg to 3mg a day. I can't go without it. I have a history of drug abuse with the complete opposite end spectrum of drug and I have a very addictive personality. I won't be able to go through rehab or actual drug detox because I work in law enforcement and that would cause me to lose my job. The xanax doesn't calm me down anymore, I just take it so I can function. I'd take more if I had more. I was going to have a co-worker take my prescription to her house for a weekend and not let me have access to it and just stay with me. Before I take such a step, I want to know what risks I am facing - I read the word seizures and electric shocks and damage to my CSN system. I've tried to tell my boyfriend that when he comes back we have a big problem to face with my dependency. He doesn't know anything about addiction so he relates it to him taking Unisom. I'm kind of freaked out that it has become this bad. Any advice or answers to my questions, please?

Quote Originally Posted by SerialShopper View Post
    I typed in "I'm addicted to xanax" in google and came upon this thread. What are these electric shocks you guys are talking about, please?

I've been taking xanax for 3 years and since my boyfriend left for Iraq, I'm taking about 2mg to 3mg a day. I can't go without it. I have a history of drug abuse with the complete opposite end spectrum of drug and I have a very addictive personality. I won't be able to go through rehab or actual drug detox because I work in law enforcement and that would cause me to lose my job. The xanax doesn't calm me down anymore, I just take it so I can function. I'd take more if I had more. I was going to have a co-worker take my prescription to her house for a weekend and not let me have access to it and just stay with me. Before I take such a step, I want to know what risks I am facing - I read the word seizures and electric shocks and damage to my CSN system. I've tried to tell my boyfriend that when he comes back we have a big problem to face with my dependency. He doesn't know anything about addiction so he relates it to him taking Unisom. I'm kind of freaked out that it has become this bad. Any advice or answers to my questions, please?

Detox off any benzo is serious and can be dangerous if done abruptly. Yes you can be faced with possible seizures, CNS (central nervous system) problems, and electric shock syndrome is where you just feel like a jolt of electricity goes through your body. I've had them where they nearly knocked me off my feet and they can be very painful.

You need to do a very slow taper which I can help you with if you like, you need to take an antisiezure medication like depakote or dilantin and that will protect you while we do this. It's not impossible to do, so don't get scared. It just has to be done properly.

Let me know if you want my help. I did it myself, I have worked with lots of others doing the same thing. I'll never tell you to do anything that will hurt you. I'll always be conservative first rather than place you at risk. Let me know. God bless.

Thanks, Robert. I had no idea I had got myself in so deep. I'm going to talk to my doctor about the anit-seizure medication and I will keep you posted and ask for advice when I start to tackle this detox. Ahhh to be panicky again, who'd have thought that would be such a relief? Thanks again!

No problem. Just let me know when you're ready. Sooner the better. God bless.

I work full time and am starting law school...I have to prep my co-worker for this a bit before I drop the bomb, because I'm getting ready to try and explain the severity of the situation to my boyfriend...I'm thinking the weekend before Halloween. I think I'm what people call a "hot mess." LOL! Keep you posted. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by SerialShopper View Post
    I work full time and am starting law school...I have to prep my co-worker for this a bit before I drop the bomb, because I'm getting ready to try and explain the severity of the situation to my boyfriend...I'm thinking the weekend before Halloween. I think I'm what people call a "hot mess." LOL! Keep you posted. I promise.

I appreciate all that but relax! If you do this taper slowly like I ask you to do it won't be all that bad. Certainly nothing you have to warn co-workers about or anything such as that. You'll be able to go about your business. That's why we'll have you do it slowly but persistently. God bless.

Eh, I just want this co-worker that I trust to stay with me so I don't seize out. No worries.

xanaxgonenow is offline New Member

Default Been off xanax for 1 wk today after taking for 22 years

Hello,
    I am 52 and I have not had a xanax for 2 weeks today after taking it for 22years. My OB/GYN perscribed it to me after my son was born. He kept telling me that I didn't have to worry about being addicted to it that, as soon as I didn't need it I wouldn't want it any more. Well, that never happened. I actually weened myself off of it on the 5th try or so. I was tired of spending the money at a pain mgmt clinic, every month $150. for xanax so I starting weening myself off it about 3 weeks before I would run out. I then went to a regular doctor and not a pain clinic who prescribed me Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50mg. which is not addicting. I am not crazy about the drug and does nothing that the doc said but I am taking it and it's been 2 wks today. Its been a long road. There is really no help to stop taking xanax. Mostly expensive rehab. which I can't afford. But, I think I am over the hump. I wish I could help other people now with this problem. I know there are probably millions out there with this problem. I wish I had some more info to provide you with. I will look for information and how I can help others kick this addiction. Good Luck!

xanaxgonenow is offline New Member

Thumbs up Been off xanax for 1 wk today after taking for 22 years

Hello,
    I am 52 and I have not had a xanax for 2 weeks today after taking it for 22years. My OB/GYN perscribed it to me after my son was born. He kept telling me that I didn't have to worry about being addicted to it that, as soon as I didn't need it I wouldn't want it any more. Well, that never happened. I actually weened myself off of it on the 5th try or so. I was tired of spending the money at a pain mgmt clinic, every month $150. for xanax so I starting weening myself off it about 3 weeks before I would run out. I then went to a regular doctor and not a pain clinic who prescribed me Hydroxyzine Pamoate 50mg. which is not addicting. I am not crazy about the drug and does nothing that the doc said but I am taking it and it's been 2 wks today. Its been a long road. There is really no help to stop taking xanax. Mostly expensive rehab. which I can't afford. But, I think I am over the hump. I wish I could help other people now with this problem. I know there are probably millions out there with this problem. I wish I had some more info to provide you with. I will look for information and how I can help others kick this addiction. I will keep coming back to this site and offer some advice. I wish I had some. You can get of the Xanax if you want and are careful about how you do it. Like Robert says, you must ween yourself but I really suggest a reg doc. not one that enables you. I still am having some difficulty with the w/d but it is mangable I feel. Its not easy, guys. But you have to really want it. I too have an addictive personality but it has to been in your mind that you want to quit and you have the right frame of mind. I am not as foggy in my head as much. Again, it's only been 2 weeks after 22 yrs. My son is in Iraq and he's 22 and that's when I started it. I was taking at least 2 mg a day. I tried to not go over. I knew after years in it that it was going to be hard to quit but again we are powerful people. Talk to youself with postive reinforcements. Be nice to yourself. My family knew always that I took it but it was up to me only to stop. You do have to go through it alone pretty much. I looked for help but again only expensive rehad avail and that's not the usual. So, I too will try to reply with information just based on my experience.
    Keep up the good work, y' all!!
    Peace

Jennann4 is offline New Member

Default Advice from 10-day xanax free, cold turkey.

Hi Xanax users -

Jenna Ann here. First you may want to read my posts on my thread and elsewhere as I went cold turkey 10 days ago and discovered a lot along the way.

To a couple of questions in this thread. The zaps are caused because the neurotansmitters in your brain were rewired on xanax and the neurons aren't getting enough chemicals (called neuropeptides) to fire the neurons. The body will eventually adjust it but you can speed it up by visulaization - really. Read the Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton, it'll blow your mind.

I got rid of them by meditating and then visualizing a little helper going up to each neuron in my brain and touching it until it lit up and moving on the the next one. It was amazing. Also, exercise if you can pull it off really helps.

You should see your doctor if you're worried about seizure but I was on a couple mg a day for years and went cold. I feel fabulous today (see FREEDOM!!!).

Better than I ever have BX (Before Xanax). Read on - get support, stick with it and you'll get there too.

Stay Strong,

Jenna Ann

PS - I'm happy to answer any Xanax questions you have. I learned the hard way.
    smalley10887 likes this.

canman is offline New Member

i am an addict; im 18 yrs old. my drug of choice is xanax. i use to take 20 yellow bars in one night, and no remember days of my life. withdraws are hard to go through but i did it by myself with no one to help me. you'll be okay. keep strong and check out NA.
    good luck.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canman View Post
    i am an addict; im 18 yrs old. my drug of choice is xanax. i use to take 20 yellow bars in one night, and no remember days of my life. withdraws are hard to go through but i did it by myself with no one to help me. you'll be okay. keep strong and check out NA.
    good luck.
    Canman- how did you get off? I could use your advice for my nephew?

raver1989 is offline New Member

It is easy.You just need to go on 5 mg Valium(Diazepam) a day during to weeks.That means exactly half a pill every day.Works in all cases.Then you are going to be completely off everything.