I'm finally off vicodin after 3 years. I GOT MY LIFE BACK!
    ryan1918 is offline Banned

Default I'm finally off vicodin after 3 years. I GOT MY LIFE BACK!

Hey everyone, I've been reading tons of stuff and searching for answers and trying to talk myself into stop talking them, but after breaking my femur 3 times, and the third time my doctor put me on 120 vicodins a month, for a few months, and I just thought I was having more pain so I started out what he told me, every 4-6 hours, starting at about 3-4 a day, than it seemed like I had to take 6 or more just to get the same pain level down, and I kept going up within the weeks, and pretty soon a few months down the road I was taking 6-8 a day, well within the last year I was taking about 10-20 a day, and it seemed like the pain was never going away, or the vicodins were making pain that wasn't there, It's really a mind game, I was able to get thousands of Vicodins every month so I could take any amount I wanted, I didn't even need the DR anymore I was getting them so cheap it was like, why not take them, what gets you is "I'M ONLY GOING TO TAKE THESE 2 AND I'LL BE GOOD, UNTIL A HOUR LATER YOUR DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN" Vicodin has to be the worst drug in the world I've ever heard of and seen, and I know about a lot of drugs, it's similar to CRACK as addition wise, yet people don't want to tell them self's that just because It's a legal drug doesn't make it work, But I would of gone without the pain for all that time if I would of knew it did this too me, My stomach was so messed up every day, I always felt real bad, I always needed more, and more, so one day I decided blow it! I'm never ever taking them again, so I started going down from 15 to 2 less every day for two weeks until I was down to about 5 a day, than I got 2 suboxone's 8mg from my buddy, I split it in 4 piece's each, I took one every day at about the afternoon time, and I was good until night, If you feel real bad you can take another piece at night to help you, If you are having problems with your stomach's and sweating, and can't sleep, I'll tell you no pills help it's all in the mind, imodum ad helps a little with going to the bathroom and your stomach a little but it's not good to take them pills because you want all that stuff out of you, but now if your in a lot of pain, or anything I said about, go jump in a HOT SHOWER, or HOT BATH, and do I mean hot, make sure it's super hot and it's on your stomach and stay in there for at least 30 mins it will temporary help, but do this daily to stop the withdraws, DO NOT TAKE A SINGLE ONE PILL, THE TIME YOU TAKE A SINGLE 1 PILL IS THE TIME YOU WILL GET BACK ON AND NEVER GET BACK OFF AND YOU WILL END UP DEAD BY THE TIME YOUR 40 OR 50 DUE TO LIVER DAMAGE!

I finally have stopped now doing everything I said about, I don't need anything help for pain because there hardly is none, the Vicodin tricked my mind into thinking I was in major pain when I wasn't, take aleve or something to help a little bit, well now today is day 23 and my stomach pain went away, I no longer crave Vicodin, nor do I need them, I finally have taken control of my life, I don't need to keep looking for drugs nor do I want them, I'm almost a month off I know it don't seem like alot but after 3 years you have no idea how much better I feel now!

I took 20 a day for 365 days a year x 3 years = I spent over $15,000.00+

I was taking 1000's and 750's mix and match or just one or the other.

the entire messed up part was getting high, there was no high just feeling sick all the time was the "HIGH", yeah at first you get high but it won't last long before you know your into deep.

THAT IS CHEAP SOME PEOPLE PAY HIGH PRICES, JUST IMAGE ALL THE MONEY YOU WOULD SAY!! PLEASE STOP TAKING THEM!!! THERE NO GOOD!

I would like anyone with questions or comments to add to this, I'd like to hear what your going through I can also help you as much as I can.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-18-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Ryan .... proud of you dude! You've explained exactly what it takes to successfully stop the insanity of taking RX pain pills. You sound like you're a young guy. You've got the rest of your life ahead of you. Be glad that you did this now instead of waiting until you were 50 like I was. Remember that you never have to use again. God bless.

sue13 is offline Member

Default Well, Ryan...

you can be my hero! No way I could have pounded the sense into my head and done what you have done.

Please keep posting, because for everyone who posts there are lots more who read. I had a horrible fear of withdrawal, so I did a taper (off Hydrocodone) and then jumped off. Yes, the first 4 days were no fun, but had I listened here and gone c/t three months before I would have saved myself 90 days of useless agonizing, and trying to get extra pills.

Thanks,
    Sue

ryan1918 is offline Banned

Yeah It's been 23 days now, and I'm feeling great, time to ride my snowmobile!@

I hope everyone else can stop and really think what they are doing!

Anonymous Guest

Hi Sue
    Your so funny...You did a great job when you quit...Its just scary thats all...
    Hope your having a good weekend...
    Melinda

Hi Ryan
    Congrats on your 23 days...Thats a HUGE acomplishment...
    Have fun riding your snowmobile.
    Talk to you later, Melinda

ainteasy is offline Junior Member

Default Need some good answers about vicodin withdrawal

Hey guys.. I have some big questions near the end of this post but first I gotta let you know my story so someone who knows can answer my questions good.

I've been taking vicodin and tramadol recreationally for 3 years or so off and on..(mostly on lol) and honestly the longest I went without in those 3 years was like maybe 20 days.. and that was a long time ago.. It's been a consistent part of my life for awhile. I finally got laid off after 5 years of work in November and decided to stop the opiates at the same time. I had stopped before and this shouldn't be a problem this time.. 4 days of hell and then it's over.. Well not this time.. I went through like 3 days of hell but then the unexpected happened.. I got REALLY depressed and all sorts of weird thoughts are coming up.. I already have OCD and intrusive thoughts but now it seems after being vicodin free, it spun OUT OF CONTROL.. So bad that I was almost confined to my bed with depression and anxiety and OCD.. THis has never happened like this.. I went 23 days with NOTHING (took 1 10mg percocet at like day 15 but that was it). Day 23, I wasn't feeling THAT much better so I slipped up and started takin' them again.. I have friends who take them like crazy so I can always get them if I really need them.. Only thing that stops me is that they cost so much AND I know they aren't good for me.

Anyway, so I got back on them AND tramadol (please if anyone has info on longterm effects of Tramadol, lemme know.. It IS addictive bigtime.. despite what they say) and have been taking them now for 2 months since I had my 23 days of NOTHING.. I feel TONS better when I'm on them BUT.. the OCD and crazy random racing thoughts were still there a little when i got back on them.. (I thought it would all go back to how it was)

Ok so my big question.. Today is now day 3 of having NOTHING because I have decided to stop again.. THIS TIME FOR GOOD. I am still kinda feelin bad physically but nothing compared to the other day.. the big thing i'm dealing with now AGAIN, is depressin, OCD, random intrusive reoccuring thoughts.. it's almost as if my mind is all hyperactive now.. I want to know.. HOW LONG will this depression, mental anguish last? I mean, i went 23 days with nothing and it didn't seem to help.. does it take longer than that for the brain to start returning to normal? I know you have to retrain yourself to live but i mean, how long can I expect this depression and crazy thoughts to last.. Anyone else have any similar experiences with the hyperactive mind? it's killing me. Please let me know.. BTW, I was never taking more than 8 or 9 vicodin in one day.. a few times, I went up to like 13 but only a few times.. i know that doesn't seem like much but when you take that over a 3 year span.. it'll hook ya and you will have withdrawals off of that... Tramadol, I wwould take when I didn't have vicodin as I LOVE the feeling of tramadol even more than vike.. I was taking about 5 trams in a day for like 2 days.. then would go back to vicodin.. basically I pretty much ALWAYS had something in my system.. whether it was tram or vike for 3 years!.. with a few mild breaks in between.

Please can someone answer my questions thought about the depression and how long it can actually take the mind to return to what it should be? Did I do permanent damage???? please someone help.. I'm DONE with this stuff definitely.. Believe me when I say that.

THank you
    John
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-18-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Magdalena12 is offline Member

Dear "Ainteasy"/John:

Ugh. I am so sorry you are going through all the depression and racing thoughts. I will ATTEMPT to tell you what I know about stopping opiates and depression. My situation was the reverse. I had pretty major depression for about 10 years, tried probably every anti-depressant on the market, had 9 electroconvulsive shock treatments, etc. but nothing really seemed to help, UNTIL, of course, I realized that the Vicodin I was taking for my migraines was the ONLY thing that made me not feel depressed. So, out of sheer desperation to keep working, performing my duties at home, etc. I said "the hell with it" and starting taking the Vicodin just to LIVE. Kind of a long story but I ended up on Methadone and Norco and have just now begun Suboxone and plan to taper off of them slowly.

Okay about the depression. Opiates (Vicodin) kind of highjack your dopamine production and receptor sites (dopamine is the brain chemical you make naturally that is responsible for feeling pleasure, joy, happiness, etc.). When these receptor sites are being flooded with the dopamine you get from opiates (Vicodin), you brain says "oh, I don't need to produce that chemical anymore because I am getting plenty". The receptor sites that recieve the dopamine are overwhelmed and begin to shut down, thus your natural dopamine production and "recieving" mechanism shuts down. So, when you first stop taking Vicodin (or opiates) your brain is not producing ANY Dopamine and this why people feel soooo depressed when first coming off of opiates. The syndrome that you are experiencing is very common. It is my understanding that, in time, your brain will recognize that it is no longer receiving dopamine from the Vicodin (opiates) and you will eventually begin producing your own again and the receptors will again open up to receive the dopamine. The BIG questions is that no one knows for sure is.... HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO START PRODUCING MY OWN DOPAMINE/FEELING GOOD AGAIN, ETC. Everyone is different and it just depends on when YOUR brain chemicals get the message that they need to start working again. I hope this makes SOME sense to you. I tried to explain it as simply as I could.

Depression when coming off of opiates is very common. You are on the right track. Do you have a psychiatrist or family physician that you could talk to? They may be able to give you an anti-depressant that might help until things start getting back to normal. I would urge you to talk to a physician about this if you can.

I don't know how much help I have been but I wish you well and congratulations for getting back on track!

mags

hadenough2009 is offline Junior Member

Default Congrats

Kudos to you Ryan for getting off the Vicodin. You are so right; you have your life back! I am hoping that my husband will someday have the same mindset as you. You have such a positive attitude and it's a relief to see such a great success. Good luck to you, it sounds like you have a very bright future.

Lvkingpin is offline New Member

Unhappy pills are ruining my life why cant i jus feel normal =[

i been takin vicodin .. and any pills i really got my hands on .. i was just doin to much .. until about 3-4 days ago i jus like woke up .. decided i dont want this anymore i dont want to feel like i NEED something to make me Feel Good. or in my case .. made me feel Great.

ive joined the army and am leaving in a few months for basic training in fort bennings georgia.

im just nervous right now because its been 3-4 days and im SO Sleepy.. i can barely find the energy to get out of bed i feel pathetic .. im only 20 and i feel miserable.. im hoping i start gettin my energy back .. im a state champ in wrestling here in nevada... im jus disappointed in what i let myself spiral into . any ideas of how long ill feel Weak ... appreciate it guys.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Lvkingpin
    First congrats on joining the army my daughter is joining the navy
    people start feeling better around the Fourth or fifth day.
    I will put up the Thomas recipe for you but i don't think you will need the valium...
    be strong, be army strong...LOL... had to say it...your doing great...were real proud of you.

Keep us posted...
    Melinda

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"

dizishere is offline New Member

Default Good job!

Proud of you Ryan.... I'm in the exact same boat as you. If had to write a post, it would sound exactly like yours. I was taking the same amount of vics flopping back and forth from 10mg to 750mg's. I have been on pain meds for 4 years. All started from a dirtbike accident I had and slipped a disk in my back. Recently (last Friday) I just said I have had enough. I know if I kept on with them I would just be digging myself an early grave. So I have been clean for about 2 days now, first time in 4 years, and mentally I'm done but physically it's tough right now!! Kepp it up buddy! Hopefully I can get the same results as you did. I can use all the help I can get! :0

bahiade29 is offline New Member

Talking Right ON!!!!

Today is day twenty!!!! I love it I am so proud to no longer have that the control in my life. I heard every word you wrote and I got instant chills!!! All I have to say is THANK GOD!! Its over and be strong!! Every day gets better

Gonnabeatthis is offline New Member

Congrats.. I'm on day 5 from a 13 year addiction and I was taking 15-20 a day myself. I am proud to say I've had NO w/d's. Yes you read that right 5 days in with NO w/d's. I just prayed about it and told the lord I was giving it all to him and I'm happy to say that he has let me suffer at all and to be honest I feel alot happier to. The night before last I busted my knee pretty and I'm in alot of pain but I refuse to take anything for it because I know what would happen and I'm not even going back to that. I feel real bad for those still on it. The only way you can get off vicodin is you have to make up your mind and stick to it no matter what. Give it to the lord and let him take your addiction away from you. You would be suprised just how great the power of prayer truly is. Plus you might not have a choice but to quit after reading what I did last night....

ADELPHI, Md. – Government experts say prescription drugs like Vicodin and Percocet that combine a popular painkiller with stronger narcotics should be eliminated because of their role in deadly overdoses.

A Food and Drug Administration panel on Tuesday voted 20-17 that prescription drugs that combine acetaminophen with other painkilling ingredients should be pulled off the market.

The FDA has assembled a group of experts to vote on ways to reduce liver damage associated with acetaminophen, one of the most widely used drugs in the U.S.

Despite years of educational campaigns and other federal actions, acetaminophen remains the leading cause of liver failure in the U.S., according to the FDA.

Panelists cited FDA data indicating 60 percent of acetaminophen-related deaths are related to prescription products. Acetaminophen is also found in popular over-the-counter medications like Tylenol and Excedrin.

"We're here because there are inadvertent overdoses with this drug that are fatal and this is the one opportunity we have to do something that will have a big impact," said Dr. Judith Kramer of Duke University Medical Center.

But many panelists opposed a sweeping withdraw of products that are so widely used to control severe, chronic pain.

"To make this shift without very clear understanding of the implications on the management of pain would be a huge mistake," said Dr. Robert Kerns of Yale University.

In a separate vote, the panel voted overwhelmingly, 36-1, that if the drugs stay on the market they should carry a black box warning, the most serious safety label available.

The FDA is not required to follow the advice of its panels, though it usually does.

Prescription acetaminophen combination drugs were prescribed 200 million times last year, according to FDA data. Vicodin is marketed by Abbott Laboratories, while Percocet is marketed by Endo Pharmaceuticals. Both painkillers also are available in cheaper generic versions.

The FDA convened the two-day meeting to ask experts to discuss and vote on a slew of proposals to reduce overdoses with acetaminophen. The drug has been on the market for about 50 years and many patients find it easier on the stomach than ibuprofen and aspirin, which can cause ulcers.

Earlier in the day, panelists took aim at safety problems with Tylenol and dozens of other over-the-counter painkillers. In a series of votes, the panel endorsed lowering the maximum dose of those products.

FDA's experts voted 21-16 to lower the current maximum daily dose of nonprescription acetaminophen, which is 4 grams, or eight pills of a medication like Extra Strength Tylenol.

The group was not asked to recommend an alternative maximum daily dose.

The panel also voted 24-13 to limit the maximum single dose of the drug to 650 milligrams. The current single dose of Johnson & Johnson's Extra Strength Tylenol is 1,000 milligrams, or two tablets.

In a third vote, a majority of panelists said the 1,000-milligram dose should only be available by prescription.

However, panelists rejected a proposal to pull certain cold and cough medicines off the market because of their role in overdosing.

The drugs in question, such as Procter & Gmbles NyQuil or Novartis' Theraflu, combine acetaminophen with other ingredients that treat cough and runny nose.

The FDA says patients often pair the cold medications with pure acetaminophen drugs, like Tylenol, exposing themselves to unsafe levels of the drug.

But panelists cited FDA data that said the medications play a minor role in acetaminophen overdoses, with only 10 percent of acetaminophen-related deaths involving a cold and cough product.

"I don't think we should be advocating a solution to a problem that really is not there," said Dr. Osemwota Omoigui, of the Los Angeles pain clinic.

The panel voted 24-13 to keep the products on the market.

Gonnabeatthis is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by dizishere View Post
    Proud of you Ryan.... I'm in the exact same boat as you. If had to write a post, it would sound exactly like yours. I was taking the same amount of vics flopping back and forth from 10mg to 750mg's. I have been on pain meds for 4 years. All started from a dirtbike accident I had and slipped a disk in my back. Recently (last Friday) I just said I have had enough. I know if I kept on with them I would just be digging myself an early grave. So I have been clean for about 2 days now, first time in 4 years, and mentally I'm done but physically it's tough right now!! Kepp it up buddy! Hopefully I can get the same results as you did. I can use all the help I can get! :0
    Congrats. I'm on day 5 myself and I feel pretty good. I haven't had any w/d's the only problem is not begin able to sleep very good but I'll be happy to keep that then to go through all the rest of what most people have to deal with. I was on vicodin es for the past 13 years. Give it to the lord and he won't make you suffer I'm living proof of that right now. Tomorrow I'll be going to visit family in New Jersey from Virginia and if I was going through what alot of you have been going through there's NO way I would even think about going. Keep up the good work you can do it...

Jordan21 is offline New Member

Exclamation Important Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen Question

Hi, my name is Jordan and I have been taking hydrocodone 10/325 for almost a year now. I have never really taken more than 10 a day due to the 4000mg acetaminophen daily maximum. Occasionally I have taken anywhere from 11 to 14 in a 24 hour period. I do want to quit this addiction but I still love to take them. I know that the first step in quitting is WANTING to quit. So I am in a bind here. I do want to quit to have a healthier liver as well as save a ton of money. I do have a stomach disease called Ulcerative Colitis which I have been prescribed hydrocodone for in the past. When I get stomach cramps and severe pain, vicodin is the only thing that takes the pain away and helps my bowel movements. (sorry to get really specific haha) After a year of say an average of 3500mg of acetaminophen, am I at a SEVERE risk of liver failure? Ive read a ton about it, such as cirrhosis and scarring and whatnot, but I dont have any of the first symptoms or signs of liver damage. I do not drink often at all, if ever. I probably have a beer or two or get drunk maybe once every 3 months, so my liver isnt getting any further damage from alcohol. Plus I NEVER drink a single alcoholic beverage when I take vicodin because I am fully aware of the excess risk for you liver to get damaged. I am about to get some suboxone this weekend to stop taking vicodin for a while. Suboxone helped me stay clean for two weeks a few months ago, and like many people have said before, IT IS A LIFE SAVER for those trying to get out of withdrawals. My doctor has me do blood tests at the lab to check my blood cells and liver because I take a pill to keep my ulcerative colitis in remission, its called mercaptopurine, which apparently can have adverse effects with certain patients. I was tested every two weeks for about 6 months, and every time the tests showed me with a healthy liver. I havent had a blood test in about 3 months, so I am going to schedule one tomorrow to take as soon as possible. I know this next blood test will tell me if my liver is in bad shape or not.

Ok, so after everything I have said, my real question is, do any of you think that I most likely will have some early cirrhosis from what I have told you guys? I am just really worried the test will show liver damage, and then I will have to explain myself to my doctor and/or family. Before I started taking vicodin, I did take tylenol quite a bit for headaches (only 2 to 3 at a time once or twice a week, so 1000 to 1500 mg at a time) because my condition doesnt allow me to take ibuprofen or naproxen due to the thinning of blood which is bad for ulcer conditions. I know none of you will know for sure since everyone is different, but just a ballpark guess I would like to know your thoughts. Like I said before, I DO NOT DRINK very often at all. I get drunk twice a year if that, so my liver hasnt been exposed to excess toxins or alcohol metabolism. Any answers would be great...

PS- Please dont give me any speeches on quitting and getting my life together and whatnot, Im not an idiot and Im fully aware of my situation and the evils of prescription pills. Please just tell me your honest opinion of taking around 4000mg of acetaminophen a day for 10 or so months. Also, if I am in the early stages of cirrhosis, I read that scar tissue can never be repaired? However, my doctor told his son who is my best friend that the liver can regenerate faster and more efficiently than any other organ in the body...

Thanks to you all, this site is amazing, as well as the people who sympathize with us and just want to help. I truly appreciate your responses and bless you all. I wish they made over the counter pills that will completely take away withdrawals and get my dopamine/serotonin processing back to normal...

Love you guys/girls,

---Jordan

OXYmom is offline Member

Hi, Jordan. I just noticed that you had posted your question on a thread that is over a year old. It may get more attention if you go to the Need to Talk Forum and start a new thread there. Just a suggestion.
    Now, to answer your question- I am not a doctor, just a long-time opiate user. I too was taking the upper limits 4000mg/day of acetaminophen for well over a year before I was switched to oxy by my dr. when I told him how much I was taking to obtain relief. There were plenty of times where I went over the limit, too.
    I can also tell you that I had some blood tests done and some of my liver function tests were in the dangerously high category. But, after coming off the percs, they went back down to normal. So, I am not sure if those liver enzymes just reset themselves after a time off pills or what. Also, I am not much of a drinker, either. Just socially and that might be every 3-4 mos. I never get drunk either, just a glass of wine, maybe two or a mixed drink but that's it.

So, I guess I just wanted to allay some of your fears and tell you that I am still here after several years of heavy percocet intake (10mg/325mg) and my liver function has gone back to normal. So I hope this makes you feel somewhat better.
    I will not preach to you about the danger of these nasty evil pills because you already know they are poison to our liver. I will tell you that there are so many amazing and wonderful people here who WANT to help and see you succeed! No matter what, please let us know how you are doing and if there is anything we can do to help.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-19-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: sp

Jordan21 is offline New Member

Thanks so much OXYmom. I will make a new thread so more people can read it. I really do appreciate your post and your information/concerns. You said you were taking 4000mg or over a day for more than a year and your blood test showed dangerously high levels? Does that mean you were close to the edge of having complete liver failure, or just really close to starting the first stages of cirrhosis? It hasnt been quite a year for me yet. Also like I said, I completely stopped taking vicodin for 2 weeks, so Im willing to bet that my liver healed itself for that time frame, if only for a little while/a little bit. Im not suggesting at all that it went completely back to normal and I can go another year taking so many vicodin. Im just saying that I know for a fact that the liver is incredibly resilient and can heal very fast, definitely opposed to other organs which take a lot longer to reset as you put it. (I read the lungs are very good at healing too.) I was reading about activities/foods to try to keep your liver in good shape. Apparently smoking and caffeine is not good for the liver, which I obviously know either one are bad for you in general, I just didnt know they had a specific effect on the liver. The bad news is I smoke about 5 cigs a day and have 1 to 3 cups of coffee in the morning during work. Ill definitely cut down on those habits to help out a little more. Im really looking forward to getting some suboxone so I can put off taking the hydrocodone for at least a week or two. I definitely cannot stop taking them cold turkey because I would be withdrawaling like all hell at work, and that would be HORRIBLE. Plus I really need all the work hours I can get because I need as much money as possible, so taking "sick" days off during withdrawaling would really screw me over financially. I have a history of panic attacks as well, so Im really considering going to a doctor to get prescribed klonopin or valium or some kind of benzo so if I do withdrawal, I can have something to keep me from going into panic attack mode. Plus the Thomas Recipe has benzos as one of the remedies during the steps to getting through withdrawal. Im rambling again, so I will stop here. Just wanted to thank you again OXYmom for responding to my post and giving me your story as well. I really hope you are doing well and I hope the oxycontin is helping you more than it is negatively affecting you. My best wishes to you and your family.

---Jordan