Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By iloerose
Im new to this and dont have a sense of direction
    hopeimnottolate is offline New Member

Unhappy Im new to this and dont have a sense of direction

Hello wow i cant believe im doing this. so I guess I will start with what my addictions are. right now i am addicted to oxycodone. I have been addicted to some form of drug for most of my life. my painkiller addiction has been on and off for about 7 years. but within the past two years it has been at its worse ironically I started the pain pills to overcome my addiction to powder cocaine. my daily use is on average between six and eight 10mils. In a 24 hour period.I successfully quit 2 years ago but my intake right now is nowhere near what it was. I have noticed all the home remedies that people have suggested and i want to do it I am just so afraid because I know whats in store for me. I'm 35 years old with a wonderful husband and three beautiful children.My husband has always been very supportive but I can see that he is at the point that he is done with this.He truly believes me when I say I want to quit did and i sincerely do. I just don't know how to. every waking moment begins with the thought of oxycodone. I do have medical reasons for my script. I am so sick of the headaches and all the pain and when I don't take them it amplifies. the anxiety is also unbearable. I have a psychiatrist and a pain management doctor I want to ask them for something to help me through my detox but I'm afraid to because I don't want to lose my other current medications that I do not abuse. some of which are my ambien and adderal. I have looked many places on the Web and I've noticed that benzos have shown to help. I have quit alcohol and cocaine cold turkey but this right now seems damn near impossible.So please if anyone has any suggestions on what will truly be the most difficult thing I have ever dealt with in my life help me begin my journey 2 what I know will be absolutely a new and better life. sorry for such a long post I just really wanted to put it all out there. god bless everyone!!!

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Welcome. You will find lots of support and guidance here.

So, is your plan to go cold turkey or taper your meds? People here have done it both ways and it's up to you. Going cold turkey is scary, yes, but the worst will be over by day 4 or 5. Can your husband or a friend come stay with you during the process? Maybe the kids could stay with family for a few days?

Many people here have used the Thomas Recipe to quit and have gotten through. I know it's frightening, but it's the quickest way to end this. If you decide to taper, go as slow as you can to minimize WD symptoms.

Put a recovery plan in place: NA, counseling, etc. Getting clean is the easy part, staying clean is hard work. You have to want it bad.

Good luck. Keep posting.
    Kat
    iloerose likes this.

hopeimnottolate is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Hi there. Welcome. You will find lots of support and guidance here.

So, is your plan to go cold turkey or taper your meds? People here have done it both ways and it's up to you. Going cold turkey is scary, yes, but the worst will be over by day 4 or 5. Can your husband or a friend come stay with you during the process? Maybe the kids could stay with family for a few days?

Many people here have used the Thomas Recipe to quit and have gotten through. I know it's frightening, but it's the quickest way to end this. If you decide to taper, go as slow as you can to minimize WD symptoms.

Put a recovery plan in place: NA, counseling, etc. Getting clean is the easy part, staying clean is hard work. You have to want it bad.

Good luck. Keep posting.
    Kat

Hello kat thank you for your quick response im not sure if im posting this correctlly im a little confused as to how to reply.But moving on i some what have plan i would defenitly have to. taper myself. my husband and I have already spoken up on how we are going to do this well some what. he will be calling my mother in law today 2 ask if the children can stay at her house I also thought that it would be best for him to stay there too I have to be completely honest I am NOT a very nice person when I am going through withdrawls. I also called my sister and somewhat told her what was going on. so I do have some support that's covered. now I'm trying to find out how to prepare myself as far as what I will need to get through this process like vitamins water food e.t.c. the only thing is that I don't have any benzos because I'm afraid to tell my doctors. unfortunately I will have to wait to after the new year my sons birthday is New Years Eve and the family are going to be around and that is the last thing I want to see. I will keep posting. and again thank you very much for your concern and support.

mottam is offline Advanced Member

hope,

I wantoff gave you some good advice. C/T can be scary. I, unfortunately, have gone through it more than once. One thing to be aware of is that we (opiate addicts) tend to make the w/d worse than it really is by getting too over-anxious about what may or may not happen; how bad or not-so-bad w/d may be.

Will it be unpleasant - sure will. I went through oxy w/d (about 100 to 120 mgs. a day) c/t, and went to work every day. I posted on this forum A LOT. It was tough.

From my experience: you have done some preparation with your children - that is great. I went through w/d with my youngins at home. Just told them daddy was sick. Treat your symptoms. Imodium (IMHO) is a MUST. Some Advil, Benedryl, and Sleepy Time Tea. Basically, the Thomas Recipe. I had benzos to get through w/d, but only becuase I was addicted to them too (that is a story for another day). My doctor prescribed me clonidine. That stufff worked great (for me). I came clean with my doctor.

Since you have posted on this forum - it is safe to pressume you are seeking advice based on people's experience. For me, I always suugest that a person work w/ their doctor during this time to avoid complications and make sure that you are best positioned not to cave during days 2 - 4. Also - people (NA) are so valuable. They know where you are because they have been there. I tried to do this w/o others - I relapsed. It wasn't until I commited to recovery via NA that I could put together a few 24's.

One last item - most of us pill addicts are 'gobblers'. That is, tapering is really difficult. If you are disciplined enough - great - tapering will help. I simply could not taper. I was in the grip - and it was all or nothing.

Try not to get yourself too worked up. Take it an hour at a time if you have to. Many people recover from opiate addiction - it takes patience and commitment.

Best of luck.
    Kindest Regards.
    mottam
    Persistency is consistency

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

OK. I believe that c/t will be the best bet for you. If you are going to taper, you are going to have to taper about one pill every four days. You cannot trust yourself to taper yourself either. You need someone to hold your pills. C/T, the worst will be over in 4-5 days. After that you need to make a plan to stay clean: the disturbing thing is that you don't want to tell pain management or your psych that you are addicted to these pills and that's one of the first things you need to do is to cut your supply. If you are honest and tell your docs that you are not feeling well on the pills or that you want to learn to manage your pain in a different way w/o opiates you will get help. Honestly ask yourself if you're ready for another go- around with the pills after you get off of what you are on. Believe me, NA will help you. There are other ways to manage pain: exercise, meditation, otc's, many addicts became addict because of the pain.
    What you will need (c/t)

You don't need the benzos.
    1. drink plenty of water and pure fruit juices. Gatorade is helpful and so is pedialyte to stay hydrated.
    2. Immodium
    3. L-tyorsine with b-6, sometimes you get the b-6 with the l-t, sometimes not.
    4. A good multivitamin, magnessium, potassium
    5. bananas, orange juice are good for RLS as is the gatorade. You can also get some hyland's restful leg or
    calme's forte
    6. Get comfortable, but not complacent: as soon as you can exercise even if it's just a short walk, this is
    going to be your best friend to get the chemicals in your brain back in balance.
    7.NA, not just your psychiatrist, someone has to know you are an addict.

Post, read posts. I won't lie: the first days are going to be HARD. Everyone is scared of losing their security blanket, this is mainly a mental game. Your brain won't want to let go. This is absolutely a fight for your life. Read around the boards: need to talk is good.

Wish you a good new year,

POST and whatever you do pay attention to Mottam's post.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-30-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.