Important Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen Question
    Jordan21 is offline New Member

Exclamation Important Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen Question

Hi, my name is Jordan and I have been taking hydrocodone 10/325 for almost a year now. I have never really taken more than 10 a day due to the 4000mg acetaminophen daily maximum. Occasionally I have taken anywhere from 11 to 14 in a 24 hour period. I do want to quit this addiction but I still love to take them. I know that the first step in quitting is WANTING to quit. So I am in a bind here. I do want to quit to have a healthier liver as well as save a ton of money. I do have a stomach disease called Ulcerative Colitis which I have been prescribed hydrocodone for in the past. When I get stomach cramps and severe pain, vicodin is the only thing that takes the pain away and helps slow my bowel movements. (sorry to get really specific haha.) After a year of say an average of 3500mg of acetaminophen, am I at a SEVERE risk of liver failure? Ive read a ton about it, such as cirrhosis and scarring and whatnot, but I dont have any of the first symptoms or signs of liver damage (jaundice, fatigue, etc). I do not drink often at all, if ever. I probably have a beer or two or get drunk maybe once every 3-4 months, so my liver isnt getting any further damage from alcohol. Plus I NEVER drink a single alcoholic beverage when I take vicodin because I am fully aware of the excess risk for your liver to get damaged. I am about to get some suboxone this weekend to stop taking vicodin for a while. Suboxone helped me stay clean for two weeks a few months ago, and like many people have said before, IT IS A LIFE SAVER for those trying to get out of withdrawals. My doctor has me do blood tests at the lab to check my blood cells and liver because I take a pill to keep my ulcerative colitis in remission, its called mercaptopurine, which apparently can have adverse effects with certain patients. I was tested every two weeks for about 6 months, and every time the tests showed me with a healthy liver. I havent had a blood test in about 3 months, so I am going to schedule one tomorrow to take as soon as possible. I know this next blood test will tell me if my liver is in bad shape or not.

Ok, so after everything I have said, my real question is, do any of you think that I most likely will have some early cirrhosis from what I have told you all? I am just really worried the test will show liver damage, and then I will have to explain myself to my doctor and/or family. Before I started taking vicodin, I did take tylenol quite a bit for headaches (only 2 to 3 at a time once or twice a week, so 1000 to 1500 mg at a time) because my condition doesnt allow me to take ibuprofen or naproxen due to the thinning of blood which is bad for ulcer conditions. I know none of you will know for sure since everyone is different and you aren't doctors, but just a ballpark guess I would like to know your thoughts. Like I said before, I DO NOT DRINK very often at all. I get drunk twice a year if that, so my liver hasnt been exposed to excess toxins or alcohol metabolism. Any answers would be great...

PS- Please dont give me any speeches on quitting and getting my life together and whatnot, Im not an idiot and Im fully aware of my situation and the evils of prescription pills. Please just tell me your honest opinion of taking around 4000mg of acetaminophen a day for 10 or so months. Also, if I am in the early stages of cirrhosis, I read that scar tissue can never be repaired? However, my doctor told his son who is my best friend that the liver can regenerate faster and more efficiently than any other organ in the body...

Thanks to you all, this site is amazing, as well as the people who sympathize with us and just want to help. I truly appreciate your responses and bless you all. I wish they made over the counter pills that will completely take away withdrawals and get my dopamine/serotonin processing back to normal. Also, Im not depressed or anything like that, only when I come off of vicodin do I feel terrible. So its not like my life is in shambles or anything, even though my father passed away a few weeks ago. Im doing fine, I just really want to know if I am doomed right now concerning my liver...

Love you guys/girls,

---Jordan

Oh, and when I said I am only depressed when I come off of vicodin, I mean when I quit them and go through withdrawals, not when the effects wear off. I would be in real trouble if I was instantly depressed once the pills wear off haha. Just clarifying. I can go at least a day of not taking them and feel ok.

OXYmom is offline Member

Hi, Jordan. I see you posted a new thread and that is good. It has been a while since that liver enzyme test was done, but I was definitely endangering my health. The doctor was not as concerned as I was and said that sometimes those enzymes can be that far off the charts for a variety of reasons so not to panic, just to retake. Then, in the mean time, I got some supplements from my chiropractor that were specifically for liver function improvement. I took those and when I had to retake the test, it was almost normal.
    Now, one thing I need to tell you is that I was irresponsible and ran out of my rx of oxycontin again this month so..I am trying to w/d while at work off of about 300mg/day of oxy. Talk about needing a day off! THis is He!! But, it is my own fault. I need to get off of them and let my body reset my endorphins/receptors. Always before if I ran out a few days early, I'd use a Suboxone or two to get me through. Well, this is it for me cause I took my last 1 1/4 8mg sub split up over the past 2.5 days. I only took it when I was desperately ill, trying to make it last longer. Now, my problem is that I still have another day of work this week plus a ton of weekend activities with my husband and kids and I am out of sub except for just a sliver! So, I am trying to remind myself why NOT to take more meds than I am supposed to. It is just a nasty rollercoaster ride that I am ready to get off of. I actually did so well when I went on Suboxone the first time, back in Nov. 08. I was OFF of them for just a few months when I had to have a major surgery in July of 09. Then, I had complications, developed sepsis, scar tissue, you name it I've been through it in the past year.
    Now I am ready to be done with all opiates for good. I am scared of the pain but will have to find another way to deal with it. I wanted to caution you against something that I think you had in your reply on the other thread- about using Suboxone to heal receptors....or something along those lines. Well, my sub doc wanted to use it for treating my ongoing pain issues. Problem was, no matter if sub is way stronger than morphine, it DID NOT help with my pain and I had awful side effects. Could not get my dr. to put me on bupe/without the naloxone. So. I suffered terrible mouth sores, headaches, stomach aches, etc. while on the sub. But I was bound and determined NOT to go off it and head back to the full agonist opiates. Long story short, that did end up happening, but only b/c I could not get the sub dr. to call me back and I tried six times to get an appt by leaving a msg (which was the only way to reach them) and the "new" intake person would NOT call me back, after the doctor took me back into the program after my surgeries, charged a new intake fee, plus the regular dr. visit fees, wrote me one rx for 48 pills and then would NOT see me again. And in that time, I did NOT break our contract, even in my worst w/d...So, I did go back to my primary dr. and was given the percocet again. But, after being on the Sub, just for about 2 months, my tolerance was MUCH higher to opiates which prompted moving from percocet to oxycontin.
    Sorry to write a book, just wanted you to know what happened to me and maybe you can avoid some of this pain I have endured. Good luck and God bless!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-19-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: sp

just_a_mom is offline Member

Hey,

I think you know the answer to your question re: acetaminophen. It could have junked your liver or it could be fine. Some people abuse such high amt of vics/percs that they exceed the 4g/day and are fine; others do it for a month have elevated liver enzymes. It really just depends on whether you are lucky/unlucky. Sucks doesn't it?

It is pretty scary isn't it though? I am an addict and I sometimes lie awake at night wondering if my stupidity has shortened my lifespan.

Best of luck to you,

just a mom

PS I was at a drug metabolism seminar a few years ago where the speaker maintained that if acetaminophen was to cross the FDAs desk as a new drug it would never be approved today because of the liver tox. It is only b/c it is so old and has a 'sort of' proven track record that it is still on the market. Interesting huh?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-19-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Wow, it has been less than a day and already 2 responses. You two are awesome, I appreciate it so much. OXYmom, I know what you mean about taking too many of your pills and being 'shorthanded' the next day. Ive done that and had withdrawals at work, it is hell. About the suboxone, Ive only used it to help with my withdrawals, and I was taking literally less than a 4th of an 8mg pill a day. All I had was half of a pill, so I made 4mg last 5 days. That is how much it helped me get through withdrawals, I only needed that little amount. I really hope you get a refill or find some suboxone or SOMETHING to help you get through this rough patch without your meds. I know exactly what youre going through; when you are feeling like that the last thing you want to do is spend time with family and friends, you just want to lock yourself in your room and ride it out. The hardest part is not being able to tell your loved ones or friends what exactly is the reason and why you are feeling that way. Ive read tons of posts from people saying that exercise is the best way to get by due to the natural endorphin production, so I would definitely try to do some light running or swimming. I wish the best for you in these difficult times we put ourselves through. If you dont get better soon, you should tell your husband that you are feeling sick so you dont have to put on a happy face around your family when in fact you are the furthest from feeling good. Thanks again for continuing to respond to me and I really do take your situations into consideration. Again, I really hope things get better for you soon, and I hope you can get something to make you feel better. God bless you and your family.

just_a_mom-- Thanks for your response as well. And yea, I pretty much know that I might be the lucky one in that my body can process the acetaminophen with little to no problems. Ive read posts where people say they took literally 25 pills a day for YEARS and are still alive. I honestly dont think Ive ever once even crossed the 5,000mg mark, so thats something to think about for me. Im also pretty sure that the 4000mg maximum limit is really setting the bar low, just to be on the safe side for the FDA. And I actually just got done reading an article explaining how the FDA is so influenced by pharmaceutical companies that they continue to allow acetaminophen to be processed and sold, without any major warnings of just how dangerous it is. There is an obvious solution to the liver damage/overdose issue, and thats making opiates SEPARATE from acetaminophen, that way people can monitor exactly how much tylenol they put into their bodies. The problem with that is the addiction factor (ha obviously...) with opiates by themselves. They actually had some sort of vote where they tried to completely ban vicodin and percocet altogether, yet keep Tylenol around for 40,000 people a year to OD from. So ignorant. Anyways, thanks again you two for your posts and Ill continue to be safer with my tylenol intake. I think Im going to taper myself from the vicodin until Im only taking around 3000mg a day max, so when I go in for a blood test my liver wont be so screwed up, because I also read that the doctor can tell exactly what and how much of a drug youve been taking thats damaging your liver. Wish me luck for my future, and I hope you both are doing well.

---Jordan

I have a funny story my mom has always told me from when I was young. When I was like 2 or 3 years old, I apparently made a makeshift climbing structure out of random things in my nursery and climbed up, opened the cabinet, opened a full bottle of liquid Tylenol and drank all of it. My mom found me and immediately took me to the hospital to have my stomach pumped. I was completely fine after that incident. So Im wondering if my liver is predisposed to Tylenol processing from all those years ago. I guess whatever doesn't kill you makes you stonger...hahah. I really do wonder if that strengthened my liver at all. Maybe not, but it is an interesting thought. Anyways, Ive been taking a few pills less a day and Im getting some suboxone tonight, so I should be giving my liver more of a vacation than usual here soon. Later all.

---Jordan