Improved mood / mindset after taking Tramadol
    tango5 is offline New Member

Default Improved mood / mindset after taking Tramadol

I had sudden cardiac arrest / ventricular fibrillation (SCA/VFIB) in July 2008, and then went on to have a coronary artery bypass graft to repair a congenital heart defect.
    I am a very athletic (marathon runner) person, and in very good shape.
    The SCA caught me by complete surprise as I had just 2 months before completed a marathon, and was training at the time for an ultramarathon.

After the surgery, the cardiologist gave me Ultram in the hospital for pain. After I was released from the hospital, I was given a weeks prescription for Ultram, and when I had it filled at the pharmacy, I went for the generic version (Tramadol).
    After the prescription ran out, I tried switching to Tylenol, but it did nothing for the pain. I called back to the cardiologist's office and spoke to the nurse who called in another prescription for Tramadol. I asked if I should be concerned about taking too much as I had always heard about painkillers becoming addicting. The nurse said I didnt have to worry as it was not a narcotic pain killer, and she would give me several refills for the Tramadol.
    So I continued taking it for another month.
    During that time I tried several times to use Tylenol, but it did nothing for the pain. The pain was in the chest where the muscles & breast bone was cut and separated.
    I cant remember when it dawned on me, but I also noticed that about 90-120 minutes after taking the Tramadol, I would be in a great mood. I was lively, happy, I wanted to play with the kids, I wanted to smile, I hugged my wife just because she was there and I apologized if I could tell I did something hurtful. I didnt cringe when the kids would spill cereal on the floor, or when they would do something that normally would spike my stress-meter.
    I felt like the sun was shining down on me, even if the sky was full of clouds. I was also in a frame of mind where I could focus on things almost with a laser-like precision. I could very clearly think through problems because it seemed as though my mind was at ease and not cluttered with all the "background noise" we have being full-time daddies and employees.

After 6-8 hours, that "euphoric" feeling would have mainly gone, and my normal mood would have returned, until my next dose of Tramadol where it would start all over.

One thing I realize now, that it didnt occur to me then, is that the times I would decide to stop taking the Tramadol, I would feel completely terrible. Way more than just chest pains, but whole body aches, chills, fatigue, etc. I just figured my chest hadn't healed yet, and kept taking the Tramadol.

I started doing some reading on the Internet and found a LOT of people that discussed side-effects and withdrawal symptoms from Tramadol, and it seemed like I had them. I had the side-effect of what I think was a serotonin-induced "high", and the WD symptoms when I would not take a dose. I also need to mention that when I refer to a "euphoric" state or "high", it is not to be confused with a narcotic high. I had every one of my senses and cognitive skills. It would just greatly heighten my mood.

I went to see my physician to talk to him about the WD symptoms. He said that it sounded like I was having classic WD symptoms and recommended I slowly start cutting the dose down from my normal 200mg day (100mg twice a day) over the period of a couple weeks. He said that Tramadol affects about half the people who take it in this manner, and obviously, I am one of the ones I has WD symptoms when trying to stop it
    I went from 200mg to 150mg, then to 100mg, and am now taking 50mg a day. I will keep cutting it slowly so that within 2 weeks I will be completely off of it. My physician said that I should have never been given a refilled prescription, and that nurse who refilled it should have recommended other pain relievers as Tramadol is known to have addicting properties.

So I am hopefully going to be completely off the Tramadol soon, as I really did not enjoy the agony of the WD symptoms, although I didnt realize at the time they were coming from not taking the Tramadol.
    I will however, miss the mood-enhancing effect it did have. Once the Tramadol is gone, I am going to try a few other things to see if they can reproduce the same mood benefits I got from it. I have already started to run again, although my fitness level took a stamina hit, and it is hard getting going again. I am also thinking about trying meditation, although I am uncomfortable with that as I am a Christian, and I have always associated meditation with Buddhist practices. I also read something about St. Johns Wort, but I need to check its interaction with the other meds I am taking (Metoprolol & aspirin). If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know.
    Also, please note, I have never, and will never take (non-prescription) narcotics of any kind. So no, I am not going to try pot, or ecstasy, or shrooms, or whatever. Believe it or not, the first person I talked to at work about this highly recommended I try ecstasy. I told him he was an idiot and left it at that.

Also, has anyone else experienced these same mood-enhancing qualities from taking Tramadol?

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Default tango5

There is an interesting thread in this Featured Conditions category titled Tramadol For Depression. It sounds like a lot of what you are talking about here is discussed in more detail on this other thread. You should check it out when you have a few minutes.

I agree with what you say about meditation. I am also a Christian. I look at meditation for me as a time when I am listening to hear God talking to me, not the Buddhism related aspects of meditation.

Check out the other thread I mentioned. I am confident you will relate to what they are discussing there. God bless.

tango5 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    There is an interesting thread in this Featured Conditions category titled Tramadol For Depression. It sounds like a lot of what you are talking about here is discussed in more detail on this other thread. You should check it out when you have a few minutes.

I agree with what you say about meditation. I am also a Christian. I look at meditation for me as a time when I am listening to hear God talking to me, not the Buddhism related aspects of meditation.

Check out the other thread I mentioned. I am confident you will relate to what they are discussing there. God bless.
    Thanks Robert. I read that a few minutes ago. You are right, he discusses in details the specifics behind what I feel like are the same feelings I have.
    At first I just noticed that after I took it, I felt great. Now, I have been paying more attention to my mood and have been trying to write the things down that I notice about myself that I cant normally notice.
    Honestly, I would love to be able to find a way to reproduce that feeling...without being addicted to any type of drug that is.

no_more_tram is offline Member

I can relate. I started taking Tramadol about a year and a half ago for back pain, and loved how I felt after taking it, gradually increasing my doses to get that same effect. Eventually took more and more and I was taking anywhere from 16-24 a day!!! I knew I had an addiction problem but was afraid to stop because of withdrawals, and of course didn't want to lose that great feeling I had while taking it. I went through a half day of withdrawing and decided I couldn't do it at home, I have small children and a friend of mine called around asking where I could go to Detox, so I went to a Detox center and was put on suboxone which helped out extremely. I stayed in the Detox for 5 days, and thank god I did it. It's been 19 days since taking it and although I suffer from back pain and nerve pain, I am happy that I am not relying on something to get me through the day.

ma61springs is offline New Member

Yes, I have had a similar experience with Tramadol. I have no history of chronic pain other than a mild case of fibromyalgia which seemed to disappear upon retirement. I now have post polio syndrome discovered at the age of 50 when it became difficult to plantar flex my right foot over several month period. My sister had severe polio at the time I was born and I contracted an undiagnosed, subclinical form that left my right calf muscle slightly atrophied. But I continued to excel at sports including running. One of the effects of Post polio S is fatigue. I took pharmaceutical samples of Ultram to test its side effects in preparation for a trial for migraines which I suffered from. I noticed that the first 100 mg dosage(2 x 50 mg tabs) gave me a mood elevation. I later tried small(50 mg) doses taken less frequently(3 times weekly), I would get a mood elevation along with an energy enhancement about 1-2 hours after administration. Slight transient nausea about 20-30 min after dosing. The peak effect would last 4-6 hours and the rest of the day was slightly enhanced as far as mood. My appetite was suppressed enough where cravings were suppressed. My sleep that evening was quite pleasant and the next morning I would feel energized quicker than normal after awakening. The late afternoon/early evening the day after the administration was fraught with the withdrawal from the drug. My mood would become somewhat depressed and I experienced restless leg syndrome when trying to fall asleep. But the next morning I would feel back to my normal self before the administration of the drug.
    I then began taking 50 mg daily, M-F, the days I worked. I did this for about 3 years until I had major heart surgery with 5 bypasses. I was worried the drug might have been part of the cause, but even though I haven't take the drug on a regular basis since then, research on the subject doesn't seem to implicate this mode of treatment.
    I believe, in my case, that the mood elevating effects were quite positive for me. I never felt like I was receiving some sort of pain relief although narcotics have anti-anxiety properties. The serotinergic/noradregeneric effects of Tramadol seems to be real and immediate. All of the antidepressants with these effects take weeks for them to be effective. I tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin alone, each for at least 4 weeks, but never got the mood elevating effect like Tramadol.
    I am presently 64 years old, 8 years from retirement and 9 years post coronary bypass. I have taken single 50 mg doses of Tramadol maybe a dozen times since 2007 and each time experienced the same effects. When I was a practicing physician, I felt I was a more focused, empathic provider when taking Tramadol. I have read about other people's experiences with this drug, but most individuals take either much higher doses and/or more frequently, often with other drugs or alcohol. You were the first that took the drug similar to what I did and had similar results.

Prospero is offline New Member

I have been taking Tramadol at a dose of 25mg, perhaps 3 or 4 times a week for about 10 years. The mood-enhancing qualities are there at that level, but not exactly mind-blowing, but there is a considerable enhancement of enthusiasm for athletic activity, such as running. Dosage is very important, and in most accounts of this drug the prescribed amount seems far too high. A standard dosage is around 200mg daily, and usage at that level seems to result in addiction and major withdrawal symptoms. I have occasionally stopped using it for weeks at a time, and have never had any discomfort.