Like Tree1Likes
Klonopin and Valium
    patseguin is offline New Member

Default Klonopin and Valium

I've had GAD for a few years and have been through every SSRI known to man and wasn't able to tolerate any of them. So, my psy decided to treat my condition with benzo's. They started with Ativan 1mg which made me feel GREAT after feeling an attack coming. That stopped working after a while so they had me try Xanax which found only made me tired and they finally had me on Klonopin 1mg. 1mg wasn't very effective and my doctor prescribed 90 a month so I could, and his words "take 3 at a time as needed". Well 3 is all I can take and feel any difference so I have been on 3 mg of Klonopin almost every day for maybe a year now. I've begun to notice that it doesn't help me anymore and I refuse to go higher on my dosage. My doctor prescribed 2mg tablets of Ativan with the same 3 tablet regiment and while it seemed to work OK, I felt like I was taking too many benzo's. Most recently, I wrote to my doctor on his web-based portal about my Klonopin not working as well and I had researched and found that a lot of people felt Valium was better, so he prescribed me 10mg Valium 3x a day. I guess my main question to you guys is, is the amount of Klonopin a lot and can I look forward to a long and hard withdrawal time coming off it? Or can I slow it down by taking the equivalent amount of Valium and gradually reduce my dosage so that I don't have bad side effects? I still need something for extreme anxiety but I feel I may have slipped into a routine of taking it when it's not necessarily an emergency. I've read that Valium stays in your system longer, so I'm hoping that it can get me away from Klonopin and also might be easier to taper off and get back to a regiment of taking as needed. Thanks for reading and any insights are great appreciated.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

What is GAD? General Anxiety Disorder? Has your doctor check for other physiological problems such as thyroid problems?
    First of all, I don't care what anyone says long term benzo use is bad and this is why: Benzo w/d for everyone can be different. You could just stop taking them and walk away and be fine (I'd NEVER IN MY LIFE RECOMMEND THIS AS YOU CAN HAVE SEIZURES, just sayin') or it can be a nightmare. What I would do is take the valium and slowly wean off the valium. Why? Because valium has a long half life and will help to keep the w/d at bay while your body adjusts to the lessening of synthetic gabba and begins to make it's own and even out. Take it very slow:

look at benzo.uk.org for the ashton manual. Dr. ashton recommends a very slow crossover and taper, but I think you can taper the valium quicker than the manual suggests.

Questions:

1. are you taking these benzo's every day?
    2. How much?

I'm not surprised that you slipped into the habit of taking these everyday, it's easy to do. One reason they are not good to treat your ailment is that they are extremely tolerance producing, you feel the need to up your dose or take more and more. I personally do not like benzos. I've seen people get way in over their heads with these (xanax for me). I would be thoroughly tested for physiological things that cause anxiety such as a low/hyper thyroid. If nothing is found, I would beg you to try counseling that involves some sort of meditation before I ever took another benzo again. Sudden w/d can be horrific, these drugs are worse than >>>>>>, IMO.

Peace,

Iloerose

patseguin is offline New Member

Thank you very much for your insights. Yes, Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've had Thyroid tested multiple times.

Through Google research, I've come to the same conclusion that Benzo's are bad. I feel fine now, but that's because they are in my system. I've been taking 3mg of Klonopin at once per day, never more than that. I took 2 today and my doctor prescribed the 10mg Valium. I'm not sure if I should take 3 to equal the Klonopin or just take the minimum. My plan it to get to where I don't need it every day and it goes back to an emergency med.

I think I've already answered, but to clarify your questions, 1. Yes I take them every day. 2. 3 1mg tablets of Klonopin.

My anxiety is very real because I've ended up in the ER for it more than once and I never want it to happen again. I think I've just gotten to a point where I know that the Benzo's are not good for me and after some research, I asked my doctor for Valium because it lasts longer and it might make weaning off easier. I certainly don't want any sudden withdrawal and everything I've read has indicated slow and steady weaning off of the med.

I actually only got on the Benzo's because I had a couple of episodes which saw me end up in the ER. I saw a Gastro doctor and he said my symptoms were stress and anxiety. I saw a psychiatrist and they diagnosed me with GAD and tried every SSRD I think that there is. They decided to manage it with Benzo's which I think may have been an OK approach if I hadn't slipped into this routine of taking them daily (to be fair, my business is struggling big time and my stress is huge every day).

I wonder if there is a different class of drug, perhaps something natural, that I can take when I see the symptoms coming. From what I experienced before, I can't see myself being able to sit there and meditate. I am also mature enough to realize that my Benzo use has gotten a bit out of control and I need to get back in control. One good thing is that I follow my doctor's instructions to the letter. He told me I can take 3 at a time and I have never taken more than that and never more than 3 in a day.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

The benzo's are absolutely NOT good for you and you pay heck coming off them. Although it's important to remember that everyone is different. Many people recommend valium to wean off other benzo's because of the long half life. I know how easy it is to slip into taking them everyday instead of dealing with day to day stress ourselves, believe me, I'm no judge and I've been there with xanax which is in itself a nightmare worse than valium. I really don't know of anything besides valarian root for anxiety, but how much this will help you I don't know. Ask someone at a good health food store or find an herbalist. There may be other underlying causes for you anxiety or not, but I've read a bit of "wherever you go, there you are" and he visits meditation as a form of therapy not a religious practice by any means, but rather training your mind to focus. It is good news that you don't take them more than prescribed, some people really get hooked on these things, but as you noticed, over time they don't work as well, so another incentive to stay off unless you really need something. My recommendation whether you choose the clonipin or the valium and I had no problem crossing to valium from xanax pretty rapidly, is to take your time and wean yourself slowly. For example 3/4 then 1 then 1 for 10 days or so depending on how you feel, then make the next drop. Slow and steady wins the race with benzos.

Peace,

Iloerose