My story...
    timetogocold is offline Member

Default My story...

If you are reading this, thank you! I hope that this will inspire you and others to take the leap and get free.
    A little background on me. I have a wonderful Wife, two boys who are 4 and 2. Ironically my Wife is in her last year of becoming a clinical psychologist... Crazy, I know. I am a successful Realtor. I sold $15 million last year. I also sit on a number of Boards for all kinds of things from charities to the cities infrastructure. The reason I tell you this information is because this, addiction, can happen to anyone! It doesn't matter your demographic, the pills love everyone. Now, let's get you caught up on me.
    It's is now coming up on three years since I started taking Perc's(10/325)-Oxy(10mg) I had Gallstones and Kidney stones in the same week. I ended up having two surgeries in the same week. I had my Gallbladder removed and two days later had some a Kidney stones "zapped". I started taking them for the pain after the surgery. Then I stopped for about a week. I quickly realized without my Gallbladder, I could not eat certain foods with out running to the bathroom. I started taking a half of a pill to ease my stomach. I managed to take up to one pill a day for two years. I look back now and realized that was pretty impressive seeing how quickly things spiraled from there.
    The last year is where things get interesting... I started to get headaches, so I thought. My Doc gave me all sorts of stuff but nothing worked like Oxy. I went and saw a Neurologist and got all kinds of things from her. We even tried Botox. That all happened up until Aug. At that point I was taking maybe 3 a day. I swear there something wrong and I don't just need to be feed pills! In Oct I went to get a CT Scan, everything came back negative. Now I am taking 5-6 a day. I convinced my Doc to do a MRI, that was in Dec. It turns out that my C-6 vertebrae is fractured and it's an old one that never healed. I guess time doesn't heal all wounds. Oh, by the way, I am at 9-10 pills a day. Now let's move along to last week where I up to 12 or so pills, maybe more on a "bad" day. I was told on Monday that surgery is going to happen in March. There is no way around it. The next night(Tues), my stomach was crapping so bad and I had more pain than I wanted to take. I lost it, and told my Wife, I am done with this stuff. She said that I needed to ween off. So I took her advise but not entirely. Wed, Thurs, and Friday I took two pills a day. Friday night at 6pm I took my last pill. Just in time for a charity event I organized. I just now passed the 4th day of being clean. It has been hell. There is no better way to describe it. I have had all the withdrawals. If you are reading this than I am 99% sure you have experienced some kind of withdrawal. If you are that 1%, thank you for trying to help someone out, they need it. I do realize everyone is different and but I used bits of the Thomas Recipe. I don't think this will be the worst of it, I think physically there will be another day or two before it heads downhill. I am also sore from going to the gym. That was probably the best thing I did the last two days. That and the 15 shower/baths I have taken. I think my water heater is now about to give out. I am lucky that I had the ability to take a few days off from work and being a Dad. While my Wife knew that I was taking pills, she was shocked when I told her Tuesday how many I had been taking but she didn't love me any less. Be open with yourself and your loved ones. If they love you, they will help. I have spent the last 4 days reading a number of different post and it's nice to know that there are so many people here to help and encourage others to get clean. I don't think I could have made it thus far, if it wasn't for the stories and post.
    In regards to moving forward, I am now just taking naproxen. The pain in the neck is still there but it doesn't compare to what I have endured the last 4 days. I also plan on hiring an assistant to help with my work load. I hope it takes me from 60+ hours a week to 40. If it doesn't than I will hire another. I also managed to lean on my Wife a little more this last week after talking to her about this. It's almost like a burden has been lifted and I fell in love with her again. Being sober is strange, but amazing how much clearer things are.
    I am not sure what I will do for after the surgery, but I do know that I will never go back to that pill or any opiate for that matter. If anyone has a suggestion for post surgery that they did, than please let me know.
    Sorry if this scattered brained but that's what happens at times. Writing this has been extremely helpful tonight, so if you are thinking about posting, do it. It can help. If I can do anything to help anyone, please let me know. I do love helping people and plan on being around the forum for many more moons.
    Thank you for reading my journey.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Welcome to the board and congrats on making it a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine1112 View Post
    Welcome to the board and congrats on making it a week!
    Thank you Sunshine! I am working on day 5 but I will take the early compliment.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Well then you need another compliment on 5 days congratulations! I hooe to see you around more. We have so many great people and it is very conforting and helos to know you are not alone. Hope you are starting to come out of the worst.

TigerLily32 is offline Senior Member

Just read your first post. Congratulations! It takes a brave and determined soul to do what we have all done. I'm so glad you documented your journey here. Looking forward to hearing how things go and progress. Stay strong my friend

TigerLily

How you holding up timetogocold? I see you've posted in the past couple days, but what's the struggle been like? You still experiencing physical symptoms? What have you found that helps with the cravings?

I am actually doing well. The anxiety has been the biggest challenge. I am on day 15 and it still lingers around. Physically I am doing better than ever other than the pain in the neck. I have been to the gym 11/15 days and that is 11 more than I have gone in the last couple years. The cravings are here and there but I just remind myself of what the first week was like and that puts it to rest. I truly do not want another pill. I am pretty strong minded and I think that helps to.
    I haven't done to much on here because it seems to make it more challenging at times. When you first post, you just want to talk with someone, and want to hear that it is going to be ok. To hear that it will get better. Well as it gets better and you are functioning again, it's easy to not desire the help on here. Some people require or need to get a response on here more than others. It's all of what you need but can be exhausting for others to help. Especially when someone talks about taking a pill after a day of being clean. It keeps reminding us of our old habit.

I hear you. The wds are the same but everyone's subjective experience is different.

Iwant2help is offline Member

I was just thinking the same thing the other day.The most I have thought about using in 8 months has been since I joined.I scared me at first but I have a pretty good handle on it now and I just want others to make it to where I am.I think if coming here makes it harder on a person in the early stages I would recommend posting once a week or as needed if that's what it takes to stay clean.
    You're doing great.Im so happy for you