Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MomToThreeGirls11
Ok, I've been OFF Lexapro for 1.5 months and ....
    Aeroman is offline Member

Default Ok, I've been OFF Lexapro for 1.5 months and ....

It sucks!!!! So here I am, about 1.5 months after Lexapro and I thought I had almost beat the beast of withdrawals. I got everything from the brain zaps, irritability (I am usually a cool dude), flu-like symptoms that turned into bronchitis, stomach issues, headaches, and weird sleep-like patterns. This has pretty much all diminished except the slight dizziness I get and the unrefreshing sleep. One thing to note is the aggressive libido coming back, so that's a plus...and also dropping some pounds has been a great thing too. I was on Lexapro for 2.5 years and it did work great for me, except for the weight gain and sexual side effects. I have been married for almost 4 years and since day 1, we have had issues with sex - THANK YOU Prozac. Talk about bad timing on taking the medication. Got off it cuz I felt great and then got back into the anxiety state. Doc placed me on Wellbutrin 300 XL and then Lexapro 10mg.

I am having faith and hope that this weird light-headedness goes away and that my normal sleep pattern returns. I wake up groggy. It's kind of hard to explain. The dizziness started about a week ago. So, it took a month after my last pill of Lexapro to get that symptom. About 2 weeks ago, my doc also removed me from Wellbutrin, cold turkey. Anyways, share your experience here. I know there is already a HUGE thread on Lexapro Withdrawal but unfortunately, I didnt get any replies back from my postings and I am not interested about learning about supplements. I want my body to produce it's own "medicinal" goodies. Take care.

auntybiotic is offline Senior Member

Default aero

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
    It sucks!!!! So here I am, about 1.5 months after Lexapro and I thought I had almost beat the beast of withdrawals. I got everything from the brain zaps, irritability (I am usually a cool dude), flu-like symptoms that turned into bronchitis, stomach issues, headaches, and weird sleep-like patterns. This has pretty much all diminished except the slight dizziness I get and the unrefreshing sleep. One thing to note is the aggressive libido coming back, so that's a plus...and also dropping some pounds has been a great thing too. I was on Lexapro for 2.5 years and it did work great for me, except for the weight gain and sexual side effects. I have been married for almost 4 years and since day 1, we have had issues with sex - THANK YOU Prozac. Talk about bad timing on taking the medication. Got off it cuz I felt great and then got back into the anxiety state. Doc placed me on Wellbutrin 300 XL and then Lexapro 10mg.

I am having faith and hope that this weird light-headedness goes away and that my normal sleep pattern returns. I wake up groggy. It's kind of hard to explain. The dizziness started about a week ago. So, it took a month after my last pill of Lexapro to get that symptom. About 2 weeks ago, my doc also removed me from Wellbutrin, cold turkey. Anyways, share your experience here. I know there is already a HUGE thread on Lexapro Withdrawal but unfortunately, I didnt get any replies back from my postings and I am not interested about learning about supplements. I want my body to produce it's own "medicinal" goodies. Take care.
    Dizziness is common. It may take months to correct itself without taking suppplements and I believe you wantto heal naturally.

If you find it really annoying I can suggest Non drowsey Dramanine to take away the dizziness. The mid ear is effected by serotonin and lexapro use has messed up the serotonin receptors. Could take many months to 18 months for the receptors to regenerate and start producing natural serotonin.

Until then you will feel the effects of someone on a ship or boat, seasickness and extreme dizziness. The inner ear is causing these effects. Supplements will speed up the process of healing.
    The cold turkey off of Wellbitrin also has withdrawals so the symptoms can be a conbo of both lexapro withdrawls and withdrawls from cold turkeying off wellbutrin.

You may also notice nightmares and sporatic crying for no reason in the next few weeks, another common aftere ffect.
    Lexapro and any SSRI use effects hormones levels, melotonin one hormone that is effected. Insomonia and wanting to sleep during the day and stay awake at night is common due to cortisol levels being irregular . Anxiety is also a symptoms from adrenaline being increased. It can take up to 18 months for these symptoms to correct, it may take longer without supplements.

How did you stop taking lexapro, taper? If so how?

Many also experience what a women may get going thru menopause, sweating amd hot flashes. Lexapro use deregulates temperature by affecting the adrenal gland.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-20-2008 at 07:29 AM.

juswannascream is offline New Member

I thought I was going crazy, I thought I had some weird eye problem,I thought I was all of a sudden lazy,I thought my doctor would have told me what to expect with this drug!!!

I have three children and can't have withdrawal symptoms for 18months!!! I'm having moodiness,dizziness,nausea,my sleep is all screwed up,I also am having this weird problem .... when I move my eyes form left to right they don't want to focus (not really sure if I'm describing this correctly)they are moving involuntary just for like 1/2 a sec. It makes me feel dizzy. I can not handle withdrawal for 18 months, I don't think my children or husband can handle that. I just want to be "normal" again! I really didn't realize that all of my recent issues could be from stopping lexapro cold turkey! I have been on 20mg of lexapro for 3 years,it has helped me in so many ways.I'm not really sure why I should stop. My husband purposed the idea of stopping lexapro to save money. I am also on 150mg of welbutrin to balance out the side effects of lexapro.

I am so frustrated but at the same time very happy that I found this sight to help me understand what has been and what is going on. I really don't know if I should stop....I don't really know what to do at this point. Any words of wisdom?

My psychiatrist, after being on Lexapro (10mg) for 2.5 years, removed me off the drug after I was complaining about the libido issues. This is what happened after I met him:

Immediately went from 10mg to 5mg the following day I saw him. I was to remain on 5mg for 2 weeks. Then, 5mg every other day for two weeks. On Day 4 after my LAST PILL, I felt the difference!!! I was moody, irritable, and I had trouble concentrating. At the time, i was taking Salsa dance classes with my wife and I couldn't get the steps. Like, it took an extra second to think about what I needed to do. Don't worry, I didn't step on her feet.

I trust me doc - he is a good guy and knows his stuff. Has never failed me to this day. He did warn me about the withdrawal side effects and stated that in the event things were unbearable, he would add a little Prozac to help alleviate the symptoms.

I don't want anymore drugs. I am toughing this out even though I don't feel myself 100% back. It's more annoying than debilitating with the dizziness. I don't fall over or lose my balance, nor puke. I am fine sitting down but after I get up and start walking, I get the floating feeling, like my foot didn't touch the floor. I know the difference between getting up fast and getting that head rush. That goes away in a few seconds. This one stays all day long and gets better at night. It's the weirdest thing to describe to anyone.

Justwannascream, make you you taper off on Lexapro. Do not go Cold Turkey! Get the med back and talk to your doc about weening off if you are in remission. Did you start taking it for depression, anxiety, or both?

Aunty, I am sold - what supplements do you recommend. What I know off the top of my head right now are:

- Omega 3

- Magnesium

Anything else?

I take the Bonine and it helps some...thanks.

poodlegirl5 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by auntybiotic View Post
    Dizziness is common. It may take months to correct itself without taking suppplements and I believe you wantto heal naturally.

If you find it really annoying I can suggest Non drowsey Dramanine to take away the dizziness. The mid ear is effected by serotonin and lexapro use has messed up the serotonin receptors. Could take many months to 18 months for the receptors to regenerate and start producing natural serotonin.

Until then you will feel the effects of someone on a ship or boat, seasickness and extreme dizziness. The inner ear is causing these effects. Supplements will speed up the process of healing.
    The cold turkey off of Wellbitrin also has withdrawals so the symptoms can be a conbo of both lexapro withdrawls and withdrawls from cold turkeying off wellbutrin.

You may also notice nightmares and sporatic crying for no reason in the next few weeks, another common aftere ffect.
    Lexapro and any SSRI use effects hormones levels, melotonin one hormone that is effected. Insomonia and wanting to sleep during the day and stay awake at night is common due to cortisol levels being irregular . Anxiety is also a symptoms from adrenaline being increased. It can take up to 18 months for these symptoms to correct, it may take longer without supplements.

How did you stop taking lexapro, taper? If so how?

Many also experience what a women may get going thru menopause, sweating amd hot flashes. Lexapro use deregulates temperature by affecting the adrenal gland.

Hi auntybiotic,

I don't know if you'll still read this as this post is old! I'm really dizzy after reducing to 10mg lexapro from 20mg! It's chronic and frightening. Do you have any advice? I up dosed back to 20mg after playing around with doses but dizziness hasn't subsided.

Thanks

Astro112 is offline New Member

I was taking Lexapro 50MG per day for anxiety and I did experience minor dizziness although when I came off the drug this came back and lasted a few days. My advise would be to take a few days off work/school and just lay down for a few days. It can be highly terrifying when going through it although I would suspect that your body is shocked from the sudden dosage drop. Did you taper off it or just reduce your dosage at once. They say you should reduce your dosage by 1-2MG every few weeks so your body does not withdraw so bad from it, it also depends how long you have been on it for. I would probably go and talk to your doctor if you want to come off it as they can set up a plan to taper off the drug or if the dizziness does not get any better.

MomToThreeGirls11 is offline New Member

I was taking lexapro. I do not remember how many mg being it was over 2 years ago. But I had to go off it for similar reasons posted. I went to a lower does and tapered with the instruction of the phychiatrist.

OMG I was in bed one day and I screamed and cried for my husband to come up. The entire room was spinning. I did not know what it could be. Then I figured out it must be the lexapro tapering off it. I went to my primary Dr. and he was of no help. He said in 24 hours the effects should go away. The psychiatrist did not do that much to help me either. I felt that I was going insane.

This board saved me. People posted all the same side effects I was having.

I was not able to look at light it used to hurt my eyes. I was not able to walk. I was wobbly and dizzy. I was not able to stand up and put something in the microwave. I had to have my MIL come over and take care of me and the kids. I never had this in my life. It took me a good week to be able to walk and get my daughter from preschool and even then I was wobbling but I tried to not have people notice. It took weeks for the full dizziness to go away and to be able to look at the sun.

I too just wanted to feel normal without the side effects.

Right now I am on buspar 15mg 4x a day and it just does not help enough. I want to take something else but I am so scared after that lexapro experience. I posted on another board looking for a good antidepressant with little side effects.

Lexapro is some scary shi-.

I do not know why the medical doctors and psychiatrists are not familiar with the side effects. They make it like you are nuts.

MomToThreeGirls11 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
    My psychiatrist, after being on Lexapro (10mg) for 2.5 years, removed me off the drug after I was complaining about the libido issues. This is what happened after I met him:

Immediately went from 10mg to 5mg the following day I saw him. I was to remain on 5mg for 2 weeks. Then, 5mg every other day for two weeks. On Day 4 after my LAST PILL, I felt the difference!!! I was moody, irritable, and I had trouble concentrating. At the time, i was taking Salsa dance classes with my wife and I couldn't get the steps. Like, it took an extra second to think about what I needed to do. Don't worry, I didn't step on her feet.

I trust me doc - he is a good guy and knows his stuff. Has never failed me to this day. He did warn me about the withdrawal side effects and stated that in the event things were unbearable, he would add a little Prozac to help alleviate the symptoms.

I don't want anymore drugs. I am toughing this out even though I don't feel myself 100% back. It's more annoying than debilitating with the dizziness. I don't fall over or lose my balance, nor puke. I am fine sitting down but after I get up and start walking, I get the floating feeling, like my foot didn't touch the floor. I know the difference between getting up fast and getting that head rush. That goes away in a few seconds. This one stays all day long and gets better at night. It's the weirdest thing to describe to anyone.

Justwannascream, make you you taper off on Lexapro. Do not go Cold Turkey! Get the med back and talk to your doc about weening off if you are in remission. Did you start taking it for depression, anxiety, or both?

Aunty, I am sold - what supplements do you recommend. What I know off the top of my head right now are:

- Omega 3

- Magnesium

Anything else?

I take the Bonine and it helps some...thanks.

I had some of the same withdrawal things with lexapro. The dizziness was so bad. I could not see light. The room was spinning. I was on it for 6 months then tapered off. OMG.
    melindau likes this.

cristy67 is offline New Member

I wish we could hear from people who have withdrawn from Lexapro and have been off of it for a while. I really need to know for my peace of mind that the weight DOES eventually come off. I almost think I've GAINED MORE since I've been off of it although I just quit cold turkey 3 weeks ago. I took Lexapro for 2 years so maybe it takes much longer to get it out of my system & lose this weight. It's very depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by cristy67 View Post
    I wish we could hear from people who have withdrawn from Lexapro and have been off of it for a while. I really need to know for my peace of mind that the weight DOES eventually come off. I almost think I've GAINED MORE since I've been off of it although I just quit cold turkey 3 weeks ago. I took Lexapro for 2 years so maybe it takes much longer to get it out of my system & lose this weight. It's very depressing.

It took me about 3-4 years to feel normal again after my last dose of Lexapro.

JenBAP is offline New Member

Oh gawd I think that's about it. I was hoping to find good news WRONG. Aeroman, I have been on so many many drugs including lexapro (40-120 mg per day) for 5 years now after my life was turned upside down. Four weeks ago after linking with a natural therapy clinic, who,I must say in four weeks has done for me more than doctors, psychiatrists, psychologists, OT, Occupational Physicians, Neurologists have done form me in 5 years. SO 4 weeks ago I made the decision after true friends became very concerned and called me 'drug f....d' (excuse the French) to throw away all the drugs except the Fentanyl patches. I thought it would be easier than this. The headaches, nausea, dizziness, and TEARS haven't stopped. I am happy to say we are working on this but does it really take months to come out of your system??? Not sure as there are days I could easily slit my wrists with a paper clip lol needless to say it's more than hard. Thanks for listening.

Jallen725 is offline New Member

My best advice, as someone who has taken different SSRIs over the years, is DON'T stop taking lexapro. If you have condition like anxiety or depression, you need to treat it. And if lexapro worked well for you (and it sounds like it did, along with Wellbutrin), then you can be happy that you found a treatment that works for you. So many people start taking SSRIs, thinking they will take them till they feel better & then stop- but the reason they feel better is because they have found the proper treatment. Why stop it? If you were diabetic you wouldn't stop taking Insulin, would you? Your body does not produce enough serotonin on it's own, and it needs a little help. Lexapro is the help your body needs. You can safely continue taking it forever, and you will feel better. Tell your husband it is not a temporary cure- your body needs it to function normally, and for you to be happy and healthy.
    Obviously this is just my opinion, as another person who uses lexapro (I've suffered from depression & anxiety for over 30 years, and tried many other different SSRIs, such as Paxil, Wellbutrin, & Zoloft- Lexapro has the least side effects for me). But if you do decide to stop taking it for any reason, the safest way is to taper off. Stopping cold turkey will be the worst way for your body. Tapering down will give your body time to get used to not having it. But honestly, there is nothing wrong with taking it forever. It's a treatment that works for a medical condition that you have. In the past I thought I didn't need medication anymore, bc I felt better. After tapering down and letting my body adjust, all my symptoms gradually came back, until I realized that I was back where I started. The reason I felt better was bc I was being properly treated with the correct dose of a medication that I needed. I have no shame in saying that I will take it forever - as long as it continues to treat the conditions I have. Best of luck to you!