Opiate withdrawal while pregnant
    Raylin33 is offline New Member

Post Opiate withdrawal while pregnant

I recently discovered that I was pregnant and have been searching countless forums online for advise on how to detox off opiates/suboxine without causing harm to the baby. I was able to find some helpful stories of women who continued taking subutex throughout their entire pregnancy. Some woman's babies were born with w/d symptoms and some were not. I decided that I didn't want to take that risk of have a baby born coming off of opiates and have to deal with social services questioning my ability to be a good parent. So I decided that I would quit taking opiates and do a 5-6 day suboxine taper. I wanted to post my experience so that other pregnant woman can find the assurance they need to come off of opitaes/suboxine before their baby is born. I know this is a risk to the baby but I honestly feel that it's worth trying for. If i happen to lose the baby because of my w/d symptoms then I can live with that, but i couldn't live with having a child with birth defects due to my personal struggles with opiates.

I have been an opiate user for about four years and have never committed to suboxine maintenance, so I'm fairly nervous about the next couple weeks. I have my first obgyn appointment in a few days so I'll find out exactly how far along I am, but I think I'm around 7 weeks. I know that I won't have any trouble staying sober once I quit both opiates and subs because being a mother is enough to make me want to stay clean forever. I wish I could have prepared for this situation a little better and sobered up before getting pregnant but this is what I was dealt and I intend to do my best to keep both the baby and I safe and healthy.

Today is Day 1, I've officially taken my last opiates this morning around 8:00 am and I'm hoping to make it through the rest of the day so that I can take my first 8 mg sub tomorrow morning. I have xanax to help me sleep, along with ambien, and melatonin. I know i shouldn't be taking xanax because of the baby so i'm going to try the melatonin first. I also have b12 vitamins for energy and imodium ad for upset stomach and diarrhea. I've read that working out really helps with the withdrawals, so i plan to do yoga, walking on the treadmill, and maybe some swimming if it's not too cold. I'll post back tomorrow and let you know how the first day went along with my first dose of subs.

Hi Raylin,

Let me start by saying this is a very admirable and selfless thing for you to do, to think about your baby over yourself and want to get off of this stuff. I, too, was on opiates and then subs when I was pregnant. The second I found out that I was pregnant (which I was about two weeks) I went to my sub doctor and discussed my options. Under the care of my sub doctor and obgyn I took subutex (which I believe is less risky during pregnancy) and tapered down off of that. I went full term and gave birth to a healthy baby girl that weighed exactly 8 lbs. The hospital did what they had to do and drug tested her and monitored her for withdrawal symptoms. She had no problems whatsoever! No one ever called social services on me bc I was honest and under doctor supervision. In my opinion it would be better to play it safe and do this under a doctors care. If they know you are getting help and you are honest I believe you will be fine.

The important thing to remember is that whatever you're feeling, your baby is feeling too. If you detox or withdrawal it can be dangerous to you and baby. My recommendation to you is to go to a sub doctor and tell them you're pregnant. They will help you taper off slowly in a way that is safe for you and your baby.

Whatever you decide, please be careful. I know personally, this is not an easy decision at all. Just know that this has been done successfully before and you are not alone!

zerodrugz is offline Junior Member

I actually have a success story about being pregnant and totally off suboxone. I was completely surprised when I found out I was pregnant and unfort taking 2-4mg a day of subs. I had been on subs for 2-3 years. Over a few months I tapered to .5mg-1mg a day only so I could keep working plus protect baby from severe WDs. I quit when I had successfully tapered to 1mg dose a day. It was hard BUT SO WORTH IT after 2-3 weeks. This is how I did it. I took one week off work. During that week I told everyone I had the flu. Instead I really had RLS, diarrhea, chills and sweats, mood swings, and horrible insomnia. I kept telling myself it was in my head when I felt I couldn't do it. After one week I even called my friend for a sub but luckily they didn't answer for a couple hours, and by the time they did I told them forget it. Why backtrack after 7 days?. I was through the worst. Week 2 still sucks!! Diarrhea and RLS subsided. The main thing to get through during week 2 is mild depression and lethargy and insomnia. I felt lucky if I got 6 hours of broken sleep at night. No energy. Work felt impossible til I got there. After it was over I felt like I accomplished something. I almost even felt good. Actually, each day I finished sub free I crossed off on a calendar and felt like I accomplished something. Complete 2 weeks and YOU GOT THIS I PROMISE. Going into my third week I stopped counting the sub free day the second I woke up. I actually had to think what day I was on. Only symptoms that remained was low energy and learning to sleep again. No big deal though. Nothing we humans can't handle. After 3weeks no one can/could pay me big $$ to ever take any drug again (besides the totally natural plant I may smoke again one day bc it is NATURAL lol). I never want to go through WDs from a chemical again. 3weeks and I felt completely normal in a way I hadn't felt since before I even tried a sub or pill. It feels amazing!! Now it's been month(s). Yes it is possible to get off subs but no walk in the park. It's hard and YOU have to make up your mind that you are done. If I hadn't gotten prego I doubt I would be telling my story bc I'd still be taking subs. If you believe in God, pray constantly and if you don't, tell yourself constantly how strong you really are. I'm no doctor but this is my story and this is what worked for me. Luckily i am very healthy according to my doctor and midwife as well as they can tell baby is too. I can't wait to meet my baby boy who is due in one month. Good luck, and remember it is up to YOU!! Also, I have not taken a single other kind of pill since I found out I was preg, not even tylonal to help with WDs. I was too worried about hurting my baby. I only take prenatals and I bought vitamin b6 to help with energy. I eat lots of fresh non processed healthy foods. Bananas, greens, meat, and water water more water, orange juice and milk lol. Sugar and processed foods I believe would have made me feel worse. I hope this helps bc while I was quitting I read stories and success stories are hard to find. Be easy on yourself about your past and keep telling yourself you can do it for your future It was eventually worth it for me.

Raylin33 is offline New Member

Thank you so much for your response! It really means so much to me and truly fuels me to continue getting off opiates/subs all together. This past week has been miserable, I tapered down from the opiates I had and I finally was able to take my first sub today. I have my first doctors appointment in about 20 minutes so I hope I'm able to get some reassurance that this is the right thing to do. A friend told me about a natural extract called kratom, it's supposed to help with opiate withdrawals. However, its an alkaloid based drug similar to morphine, caffeine, nicotine, and just about every other harmful thing to a fetus. There isn't much information on taking it during pregnancy but perhaps my doctor can recommend a safer option to ease my withdrawal symptoms. My original plan was to do a five day taper with the suboxine because I absolutely do not believe in taking it long term, it's the exact same thing is doing regular opiates. Your still hooked on it and the withdrawals are just as bad especially since a it's a longer acting drug. I'm definitely mentally reading to quit, I just hope I don't cause any harm to my future baby. Also, from all the reading i've done it seems if you eat a high protein diet and exercise it really helps with the WD's. I have noticed that when i'm keeping busy i feel so much better rather than when i'm just laying down and hating life. It's definitely a struggle but it is so worth it.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

Raylin. Xanax is very harmful during pregnancy. It is a category D. Consult with your physician immediately.

Social services don't just get involved when you lie. I too was completely honest about being on subutex during my pregnancy and had CPS up my butt. In my State if the baby shows any sign of WD regardless if you are prescribed or not you can be charged with neglect.

I tapered down to .25 and jumped off a month before my son was born and he still had sub in his meconium. I got a visit from CPS and the issue was closed. My son showed absolutely no signs of WD and was an angel. My girlfriend just had a baby after using subutex during her entire pregnancy and they treated the baby with morphine for three days and sent her home. The poor baby screamed for a month almost non stop. Sub has a very long half life. The baby hadn't even BEGUN to withdraw after three days. The hospital kept telling her it was stomach pains or colic. I say NO...the child was in WD from the 16mg of suboxone the mother was on her entire pregnancy.

One thing for sure you need to be your own advocate and do your own research. I don't think subutex taken correctly and slowly tapered off of harms children. Stupid Doctors do.

zerodrugz is offline Junior Member

Raylin I can tell you want to do what is best for baby and that is the best thing. I'll start by saying there is no such thing as a perfect pregnancy. I bet every mom wishes there was though. A lot of things can harm baby. The first four to five months of this pregnancy I ate grilled hotdogs along with other grilled meats. Then I heard hotdogs along with lunch meat is bad for baby. I ate bleu cheese twice in the very beginning before I learned the mold can harm baby. Ugh! I have a beautiful healthy school aged girl. Before I found out I was preg with her I drank and did party drugs but quit as soon as I found out. I was terrified about the amount I drank but my midwife said bc I had did it so early on she would be fine. The midwife said the important thing was I had completely quit drinking as soon as I had learned my news. If I had continued my daughter could have had many problems. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I ate a lot of hotdogs with her too bc I never read any info like that back then lol. So yea, important thing right now for you is doing the best you can to quit what you can regardless what you've done. I've heard Xanax is bad too. Convince yourself to stay away from as many/ALL meds as you can. The subs should be all you need to ease WDs right? And def use them to taper off only. What did your doctor say? When you do get off the subs you will have WDs. Again. No matter what they will happen. Basically I psyched myself up for them and that was what worked. I heard someone compare it to going into battle. You will sit around a lot for a couple weeks and feel depressed sometimes. During those times I found my inner strength and talked myself out of it. The whole reason anyone takes pills/subs is bc they think it will make life easier. Now is the time to accept you have a hard road ahead and it is only temporary. After the rough terrain will be blue skies and happy times. Then there might be some dark clouds and thunderstorms. Then comes the rainbows and sunshine. It's life drug free and all we can do is enjoy the ride. Once you are ready to accept the rough terrain, dark clouds, and thunderstorms, you are ready to quit pills. And when the good times (blue skies and rainbows) come you will appreciate them a million times more. Like my analogy lol. Anyway, from what you wrote I think you are close to ready. And you have a doctor who is there to help you so hopefully he knows better then I do how ready you are. I know I've heard quitting cold turkey on a high dose can cause miscarriages so you might need some time to taper for a while? One more thing to help you want to quit even more are the physical feelings. Yea the WDs were annoying and somewhat uncomfortable, but the sex on absolutely no meds....holy smokes it's like having the best sex you ever had. And this is coming from someone who's man is gone for work a whole lot and too tired for me half the time when he is around (yes that contributed to my depression but I kept my mouth shut and he never knew/still doesn't). If it was up to me he coulda quit his job and we woulda laid around and had sex all day haha. It just felt so INTENSE. Instead I bought a little something for my pleasure and every time I felt depressed or couldn't sleep into my bedroom I would go lol. Orgasms helped me sleep and helped me get out of my funks and passed the ever dragging time, even if just for a tiny bit. Anyway, you have lots of reasons to quit for and it's up to you Positive thoughts only k