Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By Notsurewhattoput
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 2 Post By iloerose
Painkiller addiction... saved by Suboxone
    Notsurewhattoput is offline New Member

Default Painkiller addiction... saved by Suboxone

Hello, Im new to this website but i quickly became interested in it when i had questions about perscription drug information and was usually diverted here. I dont have a certain question, im just contributing to the discussion board because it seems to me there are alot of like minded people here on the subject. Not a subject i can really go into with people in my life but Pain killer addiction seems to be something alot of us here have dealt with. I injured myself in the Marine Corps and have had no help from anyone besides just being fed pain killers for the last five to six years. For the last two years i finally realized my intake of medication (norco) was not normal and that i had probaly developed a problem. However with mouths to feed, a roof to provide, and just enough money for formula, Surgury to fix my back or expensive detox treatment seemed impossible. So i continued on that downward spiral of pills and addiction for two more years. Somehow, perhaps it was the thought of my family, whom i was responsible for, not having everything they could ever need that pushed me to slowly but surely work my way up the ladder financially despite my addiction. Then in early 2014 my family and i finally caught a break, things were looking up for us and we could finally afford a little extra. I made the decision that if i was going to be there for my loved ones i needed to get myself some help no matter the cost. Thats when i walked in to a detox center, paid the money and started my treatment. I was prescribed Suboxone, which has changed my life, i dont remember he last time i have felt this normal or felt this happy. My cravings were gone, withdrawls were gone, my back pain was manageable, it was a miracle. I willingly turned down norcos for the first time yesterday, and i feel like i got my life back. I have been clean for eight days now, the battle has just begun but with the right treatment and motivation, and support from my loved ones, i know ill win this war. For anyone else out there who might be going through some tough times and maybe you feel like your miserable and helpless, dont give up hope, with the right motivation you csn sccomplish what may seem like the impossible.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi, and welcome. Good for you for wanting off the painkillers.

I don't know how much you know about Suboxone and proper dosage but being on subs long term is almost always a terrible idea. Do you plan to start tapering your sub dose? What most doctors don't tell you is that subs are highly addictive and harder to come off than opiates the longer you take it. Believe me, I know. I've been on subs for about 7 years and had I known then what I know now, I would have never taken sub and just quit cold turkey from my Norco abuse (30 pills per day).

What mg of sub are you taking daily?

Long term sub maintenance is a personal choice, but I highly recommend you read some of the threads on the Suboxone Treatment board. There are many of us currently tapering and others who have completed their tapers and are clean. There's a fantastic taper plan we use which can be viewed here on the site.

Anyway, I wish you all the best. Just wanted to let you know there is a serious danger with long term sub intake.
    Kat
    somashop likes this.

Notsurewhattoput is offline New Member

Thanks for the kind words Kat, also thanks for the info and the advice i actually know nothing about the effects or tapering of long term suboxone use. However i plan on taking these for a month tops my dosage is 16/2mg. Ill be checking out one of those suboxone treatment boards as well as the taper plans. If all else fails in the end im just going to flush my system with water. As bad as long term sub use may be, at least im not tearing up my liver and stomsch poppin norcs likr skitles.... Right? Anyway thanks again for the advice ill look into your suggestions for sure! best of luck to ur recovery!
    somashop likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Wow...16 mg per day? That is an extremely high dose. No one needs that much sub. Again, sub docs are clueless!

Definitely take a look at the taper plan. You could start tapering immediately. Getting down to less than half your current dose will be pretty easy since sub has a very long half life.

If you follow the taper plan written by Robert_325 you will succeed and finally be free
    Good luck and keep us posted. We will help guide you through your taper.

Oh...one other thing. You mentioned only wanting to be on sub for another month and possibly flushing it out with water. Please do not quit subs from a high dose. The WD is severe -- worse than opiate WD.

We're here for you. Take care.
    Kat
    somashop likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Here is the sub taper. I suggest you read throughly. You are not clean on subs as they are also an opiate. Lately, on the sub board we have seen more people who have been on "sub" therapy for a long time. I suggest you read Kat's thread. Kat is absolutely right, no one needs that much sub and many docs suggest that you stay on the regimen they prescribe and keep you going back and back and paying and paying. In fact most docs only need to take a 3 day course in sub therapy from the sub company. The best thing to do if you want to get clean is to follow the sub taper. Post in the "suboxone therapy" part of the board if you want help coming off. Robert suggests a 6-8 week taper, and as you do that, you need to make a plan how to stay clean.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 and somashop like this.