Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
solution to counteracting weight gain from seroquel
    Mariah493 is offline New Member

Default seroquel for bipolar, etc

I've been taking seroquel for bipolar for 5 years. It was very effective, but it did cause some weight gain. I would suggest to anyone taking it to take the lowest dose possible once it has the desired effect. Build up your dose slowly and stop at the lowest effective dose. I started at 50mg and worked my way up to 450. I ended up in the hospital last year with 2 pulminary embolisms (2 blood clots in my lungs) and I was only 20. So I had my doctor cut back my seroquel to 350mgs. I went from 125lbs to 150lbs, then back down 140lbs after my dose was cut. It's also very important to stay hydrated when on seroquel so you don't damage your liver and get a raised heartbeat when you take your meds. It also helps to take seroquel with your meal so it doesn't hit you so hard.

I've been taking seroquel for bipolar for 5 years. It was very effective, but it did cause some weight gain. I would suggest to anyone taking it to take the lowest dose possible once it has the desired effect. Build up your dose slowly and stop at the lowest effective dose. I started at 50mg and worked my way up to 450. I ended up in the hospital last year with 2 pulminary embolisms (2 blood clots in my lungs) and I was only 20. So I had my doctor cut back my seroquel to 350mgs. I went from 125lbs to 150lbs, then back down 140lbs after my dose was cut. It's also very important to stay hydrated when on seroquel so you don't damage your liver and get a raised heartbeat when you take your meds. It also helps to take seroquel with your meal so it doesn't hit you so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by KelliePaton View Post
    Thank you for your post, I was starting to feel everything was lost if I took Seroquel. I was on 50 mg but my new doc. Said I had to take the FDA approved dose for my diagnoses, and I have 4 days to get to 300 mg. Last night I took 250 mg and could hardly stand. >>>> tonight I take the full 300 mg and am so worried about the weight gain as in the last 6 months I have worked to lose 30 lbs. I am riding my bike, swimming, running and I play golf. I eat fruits and yogurts and my main meal is 1/3 of what it used to be.
    If you can barely stand when you take your meds, it is probably too high of a dose for you. I was on 600mg for a couple days and I felt the same way. That's why I had my doctor cut back my dose. But you should really bring it up with your doctor. Don't let them make you overdose. It's very dangerous. If your doctor doesn't listen to you get a new doctor. Anti-psychotics should always be taken in the lowest effective dose.

Taqxim is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfromthek View Post
    I can speak from personal experience, that my triglycerides went through the roof on this med and I gained about 20 lbs that fell off as soon as I went off the med. I was basically in early stage diabetes from 12 months on this drug at a dosage of 400-600mg. I had used it for sleep issues that don't justify the dangers / side effects. If you are using this mediacation for life threatening psychotic issues, then the side effrcts are justifeid. Otherwise stay away.
    Oh, yes! I gained 50 lbs in 6 months from seroquel. My triglycerides went through the roof and are still there. Almost everyone gains weight in the gut on this drug and this means at least insulin resistance and eventually diabetes II. Years ago I gained weight on another drug. My blood sugar was in the high 90's (100+ is high) which is not yet diabetes, but definitely insulin resistance. My doc back then was enlightened and prescribed Metformin, an anti-diabetic med. She said even if my blood sugar wasn't all that high, gut weight is dangerous. Once it's there, those particular fat cells do not let insulin in the cells and insulin resistance and then diabetes II aren't that far off. It is very difficult to stop this progression on it's own. On Metformin, I lost 30 pounds in 2 months and all the weight fell off after that. I also felt so much better. My doc now won't give me metformin since 'I'm not in the danger range'. What's she waiting for? So I'm getting another doc because my gut is huge and I'm not feeling very well. Even though I've stopped seroquel, I cannot lose the weight and I know metformin will help the root cause of this weight. Forget helenaa-s earlier post (not jfromthek's, who I am quoting here who is right on). Although diet and exercise are always good, they won't get the anti-psychotic weight to budge. She needs to get off her stoooopid ass!

Here's another secret. I stopped antidepressants and seroquel and my severe ongoing panic attacks stopped and my depression got better. I was the insomnia queen for years. Days could go by with no sleep and nothing helped. Well, except Ambien, except the rumors are absolutely true and scary. My husband would catch me wandering around at night, and once I was up cooking sausages, all with no memory. After stopping all meds a few months ago, my sleep cycle eventually normalized and now I conk out at 11 and sleep through the night for 8 hours. Seroquel helped my insomnia in the beginning, but like antidepressants it pooped out. Which resulted in prescribing ever increasing doses. Sound familiar? It should because this progression is endemic. Anti-psychotics and antidepressants together are the new love child of psych docs. They are the creatures of the pharma industry, not out of malice, but out of ignorance. I am no longer bipolar or depressed. I no longer fear bedtime. I believe those meds screwed me up in so many ways. Instead, I take fish oil, niacin and relora to counter high cortisol. I'm now fat and happy, but still fat. Please consider this possibility for you. I think we all know these drugs aren't good for our health and they may not be good for your emotional health either, no matter if you were helped for a short time in the beginning. They cause worse problems in the end. I will post again after metformin has done it's magic. Well, it's really science, but it's still magic.

rachelsegon is offline New Member

I am trying to understand, Your doctor wants to take u off of the geodon, and stick w the seroquel? If so, why does he want u to do that?

Honeyb1982 is offline New Member

Default Seroquel and weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by fosho14 View Post
    Hi there, after doing extensive research I have concluded the following:
    There are many instances where it can be physically impossible to lose weight on Seroquel no matter how you change your lifestyle whether it be through healthy diet (like vegetables and low fat protein) or tons of cardio exercise or both. Seroquel alters your metabolism somehow (I don't know how) thus preventing you from losing weight (fat) no matter what you do.

Now that we've broken through that barrier, I want to discuss some alternative existing possibilities. Basically it comes down to having to take another medication to counteract the vicious consequences of seroquel. These medications are known as "Anti-obesity medications." With the two most popular being orlistat (Xenical) and sibutramine (Meridia). I am shell shocked that there hasn't been much of any attention drawn to this subject, yet it seems that seroquel and weight gain is the number one complaint with unfortunately no solution

I would like everyone in the community to please give me their thoughts and opinions or preferably their experiences if any regarding this topic
    - (Anti-obesity medications) to be specific. Please post about the issue at hand, not about anything else. This thread is strictly to do with Anti-obesity medications as a counter acting substance to the weight gain caused by seroquel. I'm looking for responses such as whether or not this is effective, or whether this is possible or how people have dealt with this situation dosage etc. I will then proceed to discussing this collaboration of ideas with my pdoc, and finally get the ball rolling!

lastly for those of you suggesting that I just simply stop taking it as an obvious solution, please realize that I cannot tangibly sleep, like literally will not sleep without it. It has been the only drug in aiding my insomnia. Therefore I must take it regardless of the consequences!

I appreciate any input on this subject
    Thanks everyone

I have been on 200mg of seroquel for the last 3 years and have gained 30kg. I have tried everything to lose weight. Diets, excercise you name it. The weight just goes up. I have finally found a neurologist who seems to have the alternative. He has prescribed a Lithium based medication called Camcolit for me to take instead of the seroquel. He says that this will not only help with my insomnia, anxiety and depression but also stop the weight gain AND EVEN HELP ME LOSE WEIGHT. I start a 2 week trial today so we will see what happens.

shaunaRe is offline New Member

Default Seroquel worked on Bipolar Mania and caused a large portion of other problems

I feel I must share my personal Seroquel story, but be aware I am still in the midst of it. I attempted to kill myself my junior year of college. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I was started on Tegretol and it managed the roller coaster, but this large well of anger, aggression and rage appeared. I was put on Seroquel and it managed that really well. In the 12 years I was on Seroquel - my final dose being 300mg for 10+ years a lot of things went wrong. This post is about weight. Between the three psychiatric meds I have taken over the last 14 years I have gained over 80 pounds - 30 of it the first 60 days. I have controlled eating habits during the day and take my meds at night. Then the craving/urges start. I practically sleep eat. But the weight is not the only issue. I developed cataracts at the ripe old age of 32. Cataracts are not a familial issue. Seroquel can cause cataracts. I now have triglycerides in the 300s when my regular cholesterol is within acceptable limits. My fasting blood sugars are elevated. Its a mess. My new family physician (a nurse practitioner) was adamant that I go off of the Seroquel. It has been hard. It been less than 30 days since I tapered off of it. I'm experiencing insomnia. Don't know if any of you had a doctor tell you about HALT, but us bipolars are not supposed to get Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. I'm tired. Its leading to less emotional stability. Luckily I was able to move my antidepressant to mornings and that has worked out great, but the sleep thing is freaking me out. The psychiatrist said to take more Clonozepam to help me sleep, well 3 tabs latter and its still 4am and I'm wide awake. I work in a hospital pharmacy and we are thinking I may ask my doc about Lunesta. Seroquel contributed to serious weight gain, problems with my cholesterol and I was heading into diabetes, a problem on both sides of my DNA. It caused the cataracts (see their warning about beagles). If you are clinically desperate and this is the only thing that works, go for it, but if you have alternatives, try them first.

Colorado4 is offline New Member

Interesting to hear all the stories of weight gain and how hard it is to lose taking Seroquel. I am actually only on 25 mg. and I work out 5 days a week, eat healthy, and cannot lose weight. I have gained 20 since I started on this medication and have been on it for 3 years. I started at a higher dosage, but only at 100, then 50, and have been on 25 for a couple of years. I absolutely have to take this med for insomnia but hate that the extra weight gain comes along with it. I would love to hear a solution but now I am frightened to hear of the stories of high blood glucose levels. I know my body very well, treat it well with daily exercise, tennis, cycling, workouts, etc. and frustrated to never see any weight change. I will keep looking for solutions!

cindybrock61 is offline New Member

I lost 50 lbs. without much trouble about 3 years ago BEFORE I started taking Seroquel. Since then I have been stuck at the same weight - within 10 lbs. I've been on Weight Watchers since June of last year (2014) and my official weight loss is up 4 lbs. ARGH! My Weight Watchers personal coach suggested I have my thyroid tested and it was fine. She then suggested that I check on my medications. I found lots of web sites that all say the same thing: Seroquel is known to cause weight gain. One site even said it was used for people with anorexia!!!!!! I am taking a lose dose - only 25mg - but I am very sensitive to medication so I'm going to stop taking this immediately and hopefully notice some downward movement in my weight.

ericaw55 is offline New Member

I have been taking Seroquel for two years, 4oo mgs and I'm now cutting back and down to 100. I had gained weight for some time, about 15 pounds from late night, uncontrollable hunger. I couldn't sleep because
    I was so hungry! It seems that while for some people it may just give you munchies, like some other drugs, where eating simply is a craving and tastes oh so good, but after a while it seems to me like it actually interferes with the part of my brain that tells me when I'm full. I can physically tell I'm full, my stomach is definitely full of food, and still after I take my Seroquel at night, after half an hour, my brain is telling me I'm starving! It has become more than a nuisance to me, so I am going to talk to my doctor about weaning off completely. But I did not have problems losing weight on Seroquel. I had to stay away from sweets and bad carbs, and I started working out regularly and I've lost the weight I put on. It's about what you're eating and how much your moving to counteract the hungriness I know it causes.

Taqxim is offline New Member

Default Nothing works

OK, a postscript. Metformin did not do a thing for me. I'm still on 100mg of Seroquel because I get horrible insomnia every time I try to stop. Even though the Seroquel is not helping my mood, I can't seem to quit it. I've gained almost 70 pounds on this junk, my blood pressure is up and my cholesterol has shot up from 200 to over 300. I will not take statins because that's just one more thing to destroy my liver. I work out like crazy and eat like an anorexic, but nothing works.

It's not about eating more, that's not the problem. If anything, I'm eating less. I'm trying to find a class action suit, but no luck so far. Bummer, muy bummer.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-16-2015 at 01:58 AM.

Denizen94 is offline New Member

For those who question if you can lose weight on Seroquel I have some experience for you. I lost weight on Seroquel by eating lesser calories than the normal recommended one. When I was eating about 1400 calories (the lose 1 pound per week method) I gained weight (from 140 to 160). When I used the two pound method (about less than 1200 calories) I actually shed calories (combined with exercise) from 160 to 130. It takes time but thankfully there are good results. I am doing 1200 and I think it's just maintaining my weight after losing some. For those who are working hard on losing weight caused by this kind of medicine but not getting any good results, it's not your fault. You never deserved this. The only thing I can recommend is to try counting calories and exercising. Try asking your doctor or a dietician as well. Maybe there is a plan that can make you reach your goal.

For those who can actually quit using antipsychotics like Seroquel/quetiapine I guess you are quite lucky. I am schizo-affective. Without these I will hear voices and have bipolar depression. My doctor told me I have to take antipsychotics for the rest of my life. People like me who doesn't have a choice (People who have BPD, bad anxiety, schizophrenia, etc.) can't do anything.

I actually like eating, sadly. I savor every meal and worry about anything I eat afterwards. I try to distract myself from food, and eat low calorie but filling foods (like spinach, strawberries, apple). But, I don't like the 1200 lifestyle. I want to eat like a regular person, without worrying like at least 1400 but sadly I can't.

I really hope there will be a weight managing drug that doesn't interact with our medications...

stringsandthings is offline New Member

Reading all these postings where people say they just can't lose weight no matter what they try, when on Seroquel, is very discouraging. I am gaining in my belly, not everywhere else. it's bizarre and distressing.

Weight gain is evident, and about 20 lbs, though my goal is to take off about 15. I don't like to be too skinny.

Stopping the meds. isn't an option, and I didn't want to take weight loss pills.

--------------
    I am on 400mg of lithium a day and 600mg of seroquel at night.
    I also take omega-3, biotin, a multivitamin, iron, and two laxatives.
    --------------

by the way, I was on 300 mg. of seroquel alone, last year, and I was depressed 3months and manic the next 3, with no in between. basically, it DID NOT WORK. The lithium and 600mg of seroquel seems to be work. thank God something is.

I am dehydrated (probably from the lithium) and have to drink 8 glasses of water a day. If I don't I feel really sick and get headaches. Also I was constipated (from the iron and the seroquel?) and my internist put me on two kinds of laxatives.

I do NOT want to get diabetes. and I do not want to look pregnant or with a beer belly. I hear about people gaining 300 lbs on seroquel, and that is NOT going to be ME.

================
    It's going to take a while to get used to eating dark green vegetables, and some fruits, and protein, and not eating carbs and sugar. Those were my psychiatrist's instructions.
    ================

I tried not eating breakfast but that didn't work for me at all. I was miserable and craved junk food.
    From the charts I got from my dr., anything that has alot of fiber (like oats) doesn't count as a carb.

Here's my basic diet, so far:
    ---------
    breakfast - oatmeal raw, with raisins and milk
    lunch - varies: a salad, or sandwich without the bread, or cooked peppers with kidney beans, or tuna,
    dinner-frozen broccoli and a card deck sized piece of steak

run - 6 o'clock most evenings, maybe a few miles. usually the same course each day
    ----------

I used to work out at a health club for 2 hours when I went, but then, I didn't go every day, and what I really need to do for my body to get in shape is run, and this health club doesn't have a track, and I hate treadmills. I've been trying to get my roommate/boyfriend to run with me, and sometimes he bikes next to me, and that helps a lot. My running muscles are starting to come back.

The first two weeks I tried to diet, I just kept my weight the same. which is an improvement, I was gaining before, without overeating. I am not extremely hungry, unless I skip meals, and then I am. I had started to run about a week before. Two days ago the scale said I had lost one pound. and now it's down three pounds.

midimum is offline New Member

I have only recently realised that the quetiapine (seroquel) is part of my weight problem!
    Short version of my story is that I was prescribed amitriptyline for a major depressive episode in 2012 and gained weight suddenly on that (over 30kg in 3 months!!), becoming heavier than I have ever been even full-term pregnant. While it worked well on the depression - my mind became foggy, concentration was scarce and I had absolutely no interest in sex. I convinced my psychiatrist to switch meds after about 6 months and began on Venlafaxine (Effexor XR). The weight simply melted off, I was able to increase my workload, depression under control, sex drive back (although by now single so not exactly needed!) and I felt good. However, after a few months on this I started having sleepless nights... enter quetiapine 25mg.

I feel damaged by this drug - and I am actually scared that it wont be undone. I have taken myself out of society, I am no longer working, have no social interactions and very little contact with anyone other than my children. I am stuck with no energy or motivation, and new anxiety that was not there before. The weight loss has been undone and more added.
    A few months ago I weaned off quetiapine and things were looking up but the insomnia kicked in again and I was back to my GP for another prescription. Its been 2 months and I find myself stuck again. I was doing some unrelated reading and chanced upon somebodys story of behavioural changes on medication. Lightbulb moment as I realised that was what I am experiencing. No wonder I dont recognise myself anymore. Its not just physically with this fat body I find myself in either. Its not depression as those dark thoughts are not there (and anyway, I usually lose weight when depressed). Its the compulsive spending and unpaid bills, its exhaustion, its pain when I try doing physical activity or even normal everyday activities, its hiding from a world I was once a part of.

Cripes... I really have rambled on here a bit, and strayed from the weight gain topic. I do see the weight as my biggest hurdle to getting back to being myself, and I will be working with my GP to weather the insomnia as I leave the quetiapine behind for good.

Love/Hate is offline New Member

I found this thread while google searching "why does Seroquel make you gain weight". Ugh, this is SO frustrating! I have the world's most severe insomnia. NOTHING helps me sleep. I have tried it all. Seroquel was prescribed to me for insomnia and I have never slept better in my life (as long as I've had insomnia). I cannot go to sleep without it. I cannot function if I don't get plenty of sleep, and I have a career as a nurse where I need to sleep at night to be alert and ready for anything... I have gained at least 25 pounds since starting Seroquel. I feel like I need to find a way to stop taking it, but I don't think I can- How can I go without sleep? I need to find a substitute. Any ideas? One person mentioned Remeron. Maybe I'll ask for a sample of this. I cannot keep gaining weight. I also need to drop this extra weight I've got on me. It's making me MISERABLE. It's like, do you wanna SLEEP or do you wanna look good? Which is it?? Any ideas for something that works to put you to sleep but doesn't ruin your life??

Used2Bbipolar is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Love/Hate View Post
    I found this thread while google searching "why does Seroquel make you gain weight". Ugh, this is SO frustrating! I have the world's most severe insomnia. NOTHING helps me sleep. I have tried it all. Seroquel was prescribed to me for insomnia and I have never slept better in my life (as long as I've had insomnia). I cannot go to sleep without it. I cannot function if I don't get plenty of sleep, and I have a career as a nurse where I need to sleep at night to be alert and ready for anything... I have gained at least 25 pounds since starting Seroquel. I feel like I need to find a way to stop taking it, but I don't think I can- How can I go without sleep? I need to find a substitute. Any ideas? One person mentioned Remeron. Maybe I'll ask for a sample of this. I cannot keep gaining weight. I also need to drop this extra weight I've got on me. It's making me MISERABLE. It's like, do you wanna SLEEP or do you wanna look good? Which is it?? Any ideas for something that works to put you to sleep but doesn't ruin your life??
    Thank you all for the posts, this helps me feel far less alone.

To respond to the original post in short:

Topomax made me lose 60 pounds in a year without even trying. But it made my hair fall out. I didn't go bald or get bald spots, I just shed everywhere and it developed a weird, dry texture.

GABA (gamma aminibutyric acid) and melatonin help me sleep now, combined with a few other strategies.

Here is my elaboration:

While I hesitate to characterize any life as "ruined", I have definitely used that word when describing what Seriquel did to my life. It definitely has kicked significant dents in it, including being a major contributing factor (in my view, anyway) to not being able to work for over three and a half years. And any reversal of these effects I have had to figure out myself.

The part that really angers me is that this was all for no good reason: I had been prescribed antidepressants and a stimulant and became hypomanic, but none of my doctors seemed to be able to figure this out at the time. Knowing what I know now, and knowing what I reported to them, frankly they really should have seen what had happened, and told me I was experiencing a medication reaction. But instead they diagnosed me with bipolar type 2 and treated me for that with Seroquel.

It took me eleven years on Seroquel and leaving my lucrative career to become a mental health advocate to figure all this out. But once I slowly tapered off all my psychiatric medications under medical supervision over fifteen months (Seroquel, Wellbutrin and Concerta), lo and behold: I was not bipolar anymore.

But I digress.

About other stuff that helps me sleep:

I came off Seroquel 27 months ago, and I still have difficulty staying asleep. The first six months I could not sleep more than three and a half hours at a time. Now I wake up after 4-6 hours at least 2 or 3 times a week, but that's really new. Mostly I've struggled with three or four nights in a row of 4-6 hours of sleep, then one long night. It's been extremely difficult to control my sleep schedule.

Here's what helps me stay asleep now:

• PharmaGABA 500 to 750mg, made by Thorne Research
    • melatonin SR 6mg, 2-3 tabs
    • hot bath before bed every night
    • regular exercise
    • limit coffee to one cup at breakfast, none after 12 noon
    • address emotions that drive insomnia in therapy, use Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills
    • limit screen time at night or wear sunglasses with computer use
    • no alcohol
    • avoid overstimulating TV shows or conversations after 8pm

Here's what I've used in the past:

• 50mg Benedryl (made me forgetful)
    • 50mg Atarax (made me SO spacey I just used it only once)
    • occasional Lorazepam when in a pinch (but more than once a week became just another psychopharmaceuticals Road to Ruin, featuring horrendous forgetfulness and even depression)

I am also investigating possible use of:

• the Alpha-Stim device
    • the Fisher Wallace Device

The book How to Use Herbs, Nutrients and Yoga in Mental Healthcare by Brown, Gerbarg and Muskin really helped me, too.

So did adopting a gluten free diet. Please note, unless you have gluten sensitivity or celiac disease there's no reason to do this. But I was really surprised at how much better I felt after two days of a gluten free trial (which is how you determine gluten sensitivity). It solved a lot of my depression problem right there.

But back to Seroquel.

In addition to experiencing outrageous difficulty sleeping that I'd never had before, after stopping Seroquel, I developed obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), which I'm sure Seroquel contributed to, but which I was never warned about. Also developed restless legs syndrome (RLS), but that may be unrelated.

I found that the more my OSA and RLS got under control, the more I started sleeping through the night.

Please note, I never had a problem staying asleep before I took Seroquel. And again, all for some purported off label use. If I'm not mistaken, AstraZeneca settled with state Medicaid programs for marketing Seroquel for off label uses not approved by the FDA, to the tune of about $50M. But that does not help those of us whose lives have been adversely affected as a result of this off label marketing.

As for Seroquel and weight loss:

The first year I took it, I had gained 80 pounds after 12 years of SSRIs, and with my new (now I realize, mistaken) diagnosis of bipolar type 2, I was switched to Seroquel and Wellbutrin, and also Topomax for weight loss and some supposed antidepressant benefit. I lost 60 pounds without even trying.

But my hair also began to fall out, which I found disturbing. I was told that may have been related to some biotin or folate absorption problem, but my memory of that is fuzzy. Also my digestion seemed weird; it seemed like stuff just went through me, without really being absorbed, was the feeling. In any case, after a year I stopped Topomax because it just seemed so weird to be shedding hair. But I was glad to have a body I felt a lot better about.

I even wonder: once you stop Seroquel, does your ability to lose weight remains permanently messed up? I've been working very hard at losing weight, doing a ninety minute without three times a week, plus a diet where I eat no wheat, dairy, or fats at the same time as carbs. And I will lose weight as long as I'm super strict. But give me one slice of quiche for three meals and the fat piles right back on. I have no margin whatsoever. It's very unforgiving. So frustrating.

But I also just found research saying permanent weight loss is impossible for just about everyone.

In my view, psychiatrists and other prescribers of medication that causes weight gain really need to think long and hard, and make it a last resort and do a WAY better job of ruling out alternative explanations before prescribing a powerful medication like Seroquel for people not presenting with psychosis. And also, once prescribed for off label use, no one should remain on it as some kind of default for eleven years. That was just crazy.

I wish I had never taken Seroquel.

Rklewis2 is offline New Member

Seroquel 400 mg every night =120lbs wt gain over a 8 yr period. However; adding a Ketosis low carb high protein (AIP modified Paleo)meeting low 25-50 carb(s) per day AMAZINGLY kicks Appettite OUT once you get into low-ketosis (dip test strips $6)! Even after loosing the weight this is a Very Happy Tummy Low-appetite type way too eat. Plus (if) you choose the (low carb diet) Best for you nutritionally & Health-Wise; you fullfill Many areas & re-balance. Having Severe depression + Bipolar Rapid cyclic 2 i thought i could NOT lose. I did Phetermine 37. & lost 64lbs Then OFF it regained plus 20% MORE (& Yes it was Foolishly Euphorically easy) & tho i worked -those 3 1/2 mos are A BLUR! Ended up with a re-gain of 78.6lbs AND a borderline CHF (heart damage)! Now back down -84.lbs & i ADD (Raspberry ketones $9 bottle of 100) 30 minutes prior to eatting out or Family feast days; which Truely helps curb appetite on the ketosis diet. I now can eat here and there additional carbs but stay on a Fitness Pal tracker thus you are Aware that the weight stays in check! I enjoy this because I stay FULL. Add up water intake Don't Skimp it! Add Healthy FATS to most proteins!! Make Buttered Coffee(s)! Even diabetes left! God Speed! Be well!

Julieb7 is offline New Member

Hello fosha14. I think that I'm the only one who is responding to your desperate request to see if you can lose weight on Seroquel by taking an anti-obesity med. So, here goes... I'm on 800 mg of Seroquel, 10 mg of lexapro, and 37mg of phentermine for about 3 weeks now. No weight loss at all. My hormone doc (I have hypothyroidism possibly from being on Seroquel) now wants me to try Contrave. He seems to think that I will lose weight on that med. However, you're not supposed to take Contrave with lexapro. My hormone doc is going to talk to my psych doc to get his consent for me to go on Contrave after I begged him to. Feel free to ask me questions if you have any.
    P.S. I've never gained weight on Seroquel until recently. I had been able to go off of it by just taking Geodon and that helped me to sleep amazing! However, after being on the Geodon for 14 years I unfortunately became immune to it. So, I'm back on Seroquel for insomnia and have gained about 25lbs. I started it In January 2016, and it thank god hasn't risen. It's as though my weight has peaked. In addition, I know that the phentermine has totally aided in that. Finally, my psych doc put me on topomax for night terror, and he told me that I would lose weight on it. I lost about 20 lbs. in weeks. It was amazing; however, my body became immune to it, and I gained back the weight again to 120lbs from 95lbs. Truthfully, now that I resemble an appearance and body type like Kim Karashian I don't mind it so much. My Breasts are huge, and guys love my body! So yay! I hope that I've helped you some.
    Take care.

Julieb7 is offline New Member

Fosha... I was on Seroquel for 14 years, and never gained weight on it until I went back on it in January. As long as I remained on the Atkins diet I was fine. High protein and no carbs and sugars. The weight came on when I developed a thyroid issue when I started to gain. I went on Topomax, and went from 113 to 95lbs. I would suggest that you try topomax. Great experience!

chowhusky23 is offline New Member

have gained 10 lbs. in 1 month due to my doctor increasing my Seroquel 300 mg to 450. He has now added Metformin HCL 500 MG
    I have only been on it 1 week but am not losing any weight. Any suggestions?
    I hate being so heavy I can't even wear my clothes. I am about to stop taking any Seroquel. Did not gain weight until the increase. HELP???
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-14-2016 at 09:05 PM.

chowhusky23 is offline New Member

I take Ambien, Zolpidem and Xanax to help me sleep. Also taking 300 mg Seroquel,. My Dr. increased to 450mg of Seroquel now I am gaining weight so fast. I am Bipolar.

Shunsui is offline New Member

Angry Hi... Seroquel Sucks

I've been over weight my entire life. Always trying one diet after another. Finally last year after a medication switch I started losing and losing. It finally came down to a loss of 50 + pounds. I was ecstatic. Then I got put on Seroquel. ...And 6 months later those 50 pounds have returned with a vengeance. Nothing I do makes it go away. I'm more depressed than ever. My kidney doctor told me to lose weight and so did my pain management doctor. Dude I'm literally trying. But it's like I just can't stop eating, My off button has broken.
    I'm going to ask my psych doc about getting off this stuff, I can't stand it..

Outlaw1814 is offline New Member

Cool I'm actually losing weight since starting seroquel

It's strange. about the weight gain. I've been on seroquel for 2 months and I lost 10 pounds since starting at it. I started off at 50mg. Now my Doctor moved me up to 100mg yesterday. I workout at least 6 days a week maybe that's why I haven't experienced the weight gain. I just think it's weird I'm doing the opposite. I'm actually losing weight while on this med.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-10-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Shunsui is offline New Member

It's great that you are losing weight. Exercise is one thing I'm lacking as my back is just a crumbling mess, plus many other health problems.
    I try to do my best at moving around but I collapse in minutes.
    Everything works differently for everyone.

tbone07 is offline New Member

Default Seroquel & Wieight Gain

There are many instances where it can be physically impossible to lose weight on Seroquel no matter how you change your lifestyle whether it be through healthy diet (like vegetables and low fat protein) or tons of cardio exercise or both. Seroquel alters your metabolism somehow (I don't know how) thus preventing you from losing weight (fat) no matter what you do.

Now that we've broken through that barrier, I want to discuss some alternative existing possibilities. Basically it comes down to having to take another medication to counteract the vicious consequences of seroquel. These medications are known as "Anti-obesity medications." With the two most popular being orlistat (Xenical) and sibutramine (Meridia). I am shell shocked that there hasn't been much of any attention drawn to this subject, yet it seems that seroquel and weight gain is the number one complaint with unfortunately no solution

I would like everyone in the community to please give me their thoughts and opinions or preferably their experiences if any regarding this topic
    - (Anti-obesity medications) to be specific. Please post about the issue at hand, not about anything else. This thread is strictly to do with Anti-obesity medications as a counter acting substance to the weight gain caused by seroquel. I'm looking for responses such as whether or not this is effective, or whether this is possible or how people have dealt with this situation dosage etc. I will then proceed to discussing this collaboration of ideas with my pdoc, and finally get the ball rolling!

lastly for those of you suggesting that I just simply stop taking it as an obvious solution, please realize that I cannot tangibly sleep, like literally will not sleep without it. It has been the only drug in aiding my insomnia. Therefore I must take it regardless of the consequences!

Thanks everyone

I am sooo depressed......I started Weight Watchers and thought I would lose but got on the scale to see today; that I have actually gained 5lbs. Seroquel is my only way to sleep and not be manic. I reallydon't know what to do. Help!

nell00 is offline New Member

Default That's not it, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by helenaa-s View Post
    I have been taking seroquel for a year now and if anything i have lost weight. Seroquel does not make you gain weight, however it does tend to increase your appetite. Simple answer = don't eat more. People are always trying to blame weight gain on some side effect of some medication... truth is you should get off your asses and not use a drug as an excuse of having 4 doughnuts. It's like girls who blame weight gain on the pill! stop trying to displace your own laziness on medications.. just get off your asses.
    It's not just about laziness, it's about the mechanisms of actions and the body's reaction to drugs which vary among individuals.
    Quetiapine (Seroquel) affects the body's metabolism which can significantly contribute to weight gain of the person taking the drugs.
    You say people are always trying to blame stuff and such, so I guess you're the opposite, you'd blame people instead, huh? and with that misconception of yours to boot. Hope you learn from it :P

issartist is offline New Member

I have been on 800mg of Seroquel for almost a year for mood stabilizer, for Bipolar II, Major Depressive disorder, and PTSD, oh, and I have clinical insomnia. The Seroquel is for mood stabilizer. It works. I don't punch walls, or have unjustified roller coaster rides of extreme emotional experiences. I also have gained 50lbs. In my family, being an alcoholic was more tolerated than being fat. I'm 44. I have spent my life being not fat. So, I am in a state of the most utter failure. On a side note, Seroquel must be working, because I am not inconsolable depressed.

I am in a FB Bipolar II group, and 2 members shared that water consumption is key. Drink a gallon a day, and exercise, and no sugar. That's seemed pretty easy enough. I already don't have processed sugar (hate the crash), what's a gallon of water, and start off slow...the dogs need exercise, too. Let me tell you, drinking that much water takes concentration. Before you realize it, half the day is over and you haven't even drank 30%. However, when I did focus on the water, I did start to feel better and it did feel like my clothes weren't as tight. So, that's another home remedy.

I can't believe that in almost a decade, there isn't a substitute for Seroquel.

Bipolarbear17 is offline New Member

Default Losing weight on seroque

Thanks everyone
    I have been on this medication over a month now and after reading the horror stories around weight gain I decided to take action early. Within the first two weeks I had gained 7lbs. I have managed to lose this weight plus 6lbs more by completely cutting out carbs. Eating small portions of protein and greens every 3/4 hours and excersising at least 3 times per week. Once a week I am allowing myself a cheat meal where I can eat whatever I want.

I still get the false hunger pangs but I am learning to sound them out. If your serious about losing weight or sustaining your weight on these meds then u assure you it is possible but you will need to work for it.

Faith can move mountains but don't be surprised if you're passed a shovel!

Good Luck!

Purrfect0ne is offline New Member

Default Seroquel and long term opiates for Nerve damage left me with no appetite and weight g

I've been on opiates for nerve damage caused by a surgery gone wrong and I was also on seroquel 50 mg for insomnia. I have been 5'7" and 135-142lbs from 13 yrs old until 33 when my seroquel was increased bc of my increased insomnia from the opiates. I had even been put on phentermine and adderall for weight loss and nothing helps- they tried to taper my 400 mg seroquel dose and I did not sleep for more than 1 hr for that 12 days - had excessive sweating, panic attacks and other severe withdrawal symptoms but in that nearly 2 weeks I lost almost 20 lbs.... I'm currently hovering around 186 lbs even though I have no appetite from the opiates I've been on for 4 &1/2 yrs. I'm started climbing at nearly 2 lbs a day and cannot sleep without the seroquel and now I am stuck at a dose of 200 mg at night and my weight has climbed very slowly from 170-186 lbs in the 9 months I've been in this dose( it is slower than the 400 mg weight increase) the adderall and phentermine have been no help losing weight. Not have diet and exercise. Has anyone had this problem and successfully gotten off seroquel? I've tried EVERY other insomnia medication and rozerem mixed with the 200 mg seroquel is the ONLY thing that gets me ANY sleep. Even high doses of diazepam Ativan triazolam and halcion wont put me to sleep. I've been told I should start a lawsuit against seroquel as it should NEVER be used fir insomnia and as diabetes runs in both sides of my family - I should NEVER have been put on it to begin with. There were no warnings about it causing or triggering diabetes when I was first given it 9 yrs ago in its sample bottles when the drug reps were pushing it for off label uses. Does anyone have any success losing weight on it? Or combating the intense withradek discontinuation syndrome associated with it? Any help is appreciated

Purrfect0ne is offline New Member

Even taking amphetamines hadn't helped me- and I cannot get off it no matter how slow I taped off- make sure disbetes doesn't run in your family my dr is constantly checking to see if this medication can trigger it. I read the problem getting off of this medicine is bc it is such a receptor hog and covers so many it actually alters your brains chemistry after long term use- I was jumped from 50-100 mg to 400 - and now I can't get below 200 mg a night. The higher the dose the faster and more severe the weight gain seems to be regardless of how much you try to work out- i also notice I gain weight around my mid section( where I have NEVER gained weight before- it usually went to my bust and hips..... is everyone gaining extra weight around their waistline? Isn't that a problem and weight gain there a sign of serious medical problems in the future?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast