Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes
solution to counteracting weight gain from seroquel
    Purrfect0ne is offline New Member

Does anyone also know that fertility is affected by this drug preventing ovulation and egg quality? Why do dress prescribe this to young women AT ALL who do not NEED an anti psychotic? It seems very irresponsible

Bipolarbear17 is offline New Member

Honestly guys there is a solution. As I've previously mentioned, it is possible to sustain and loss weight on this drug. You must cut out carbohydrates and wheat. Drink plenty of water and ditch the soft drinks. For those of us with Bipolar, a low carb diet has been known to work wonders for a stable mind. Excersise 3 times per week. Try and work out to the best of your ability. Try and get a good sweat going.Eat proteins and greens every 3-4 hours in small portions and I promise it's possible. I don't claim to know the science of it, all i can offer is the method that's working very well for me. I've managed to lose 14lbs and have visible abs for the first time in my life. Don't give up because it's more than possible. Once a week cut loose and enjoy your favourite meal. I guarantee youll enjoy it more than ever because you will have worked hard to earn it. Please feel free to get in touch with me to share experiences and I'll happily share my meal plan and excersise planner.
    Ultimately theres only you that has the power to make this change.

D.

Newtonellie is offline New Member

Default Please be carful when discussing Anti-Psychotics please!

Quote Originally Posted by fosho14 View Post
    ****Please Read**** Important/Summary and Conclusion

Wow. I never thought I'd be commenting on a thread I started over 3 years ago! Glad it's still going strong. For everyone that is wondering, I am still on 100mg of Seroquel after all this time and I never ended up taking the weight cutting medications to counter act the altered metabolism that seroquel was producing. Reason being is I really didn't want to risk being addicted or reliant on more drugs that I would eventually want to get off. Unfortunately we have a great deal of disparity between people’s experiences and beliefs on this matter! That is rather frustrating!! Half the people claim that it has no bearing what so ever on your ability to cut fat or lose weight. These people claim that it does not have any adverse affects on your metabolism and it is a matter of will power of eating the right foods and exercising (even though clinical studies have shown contrary evidence against this, and my own doctor has told me that seroquel slows down your metabolism). Then the other half of the people replying to this thread say that it has directly affected their body fat and weight gain in a negative way all else being equal. Personally I have shared the same experience as the other half who have suffered from gaining fat specifically on seroquel **and not because of overeating/poor diet/or lack of exercise! I should clear something up though. I'm not overly obese by any means and am really trying to get back to the amazing body I used to have compared to the average/flabby one I have now. Luckily I have been blessed with incredible genetics from my parents. Not to be arrogant but I kid you not, before I was on seroquel people would revel in my chiselled six pack and sharply defined features. And for the record I used to eat constant junk and only exercised moderately, but would still maintain this beautiful physique. I felt bad because some of my friends worked so hard and tried to diet but they were genetically cursed. So yes I must say that there are a few idiots or at least 1 idiot on here who is not aware of the fact that sometimes it's not just a matter of hard work, and genetics and metabolism THAT YOU ARE BORN WITH plays a huge role in the appearance of your body despite your efforts. The point I'm trying to make here is basically a forceful cautionary tale to anyone who is thinking about starting seroquel for the first time, and who takes their image/appeal/and fitness ability seriously (yes it greatly effects energy levels as well).

Anyone who wants to look good and I mean GOOD in a bathing suit or naked needs to completely black list this drug immediately and not even consider taking it. I was lucky enough to be born with the genetics of a god, and both my brothers are jacked and shredded with virtually NO BODY FAT, just like I used to be (before seroquel) and they eat much worse foods in much higher quantities than my controlled healthy meal plan. Since my initial post on this forum three years ago I decided to opt against taking another drug to counteract the proven evils of seroquel and thought I'd do my best to try and really find out and be absolutely certain if it was the drug, or if it was me not eating healthy enough. Well guess what guys, its been three years, and after completely revamping my diet, restricting myself to nothing but whole nutritious foods, vegatables, certain fruits with low levels of glucose/fructose and high levels of fibre and a ton of lean protein and no fat or artificial processed garbage. In conjunction to this excellent diet I have an extensive cardio regime of intense swimming and treadmill activity 5 days a week with only 2 days off. Guess what has been the result of all this hard work and discipline after 3 years??!! I have no six pack, and I look soft. Now I’m not saying I’m obese or 250 lb’s or anything like that, but my body still looks significantly worse than it used to and I never even had to think about worrying about my diet or cardio before I started seroquel in order to look good!! There’s actually a visible layer of fat covering my belly right now. It's not that I've gained a bunch of weight it's that the seroquel is altering my metabolism similar to the slow metabolism of some of my chubby or husky friends who are athletes but still look flabby without a shirt on.

I know for a fact that I will never ever get the body I used to have and the body that my brothers have right now unless I get off seroquel completely for good. I get sad looking at old pictures of that beautiful six pack and jaw line I used to have before I commenced this horrid substance. That is my new goal now, to wean myself off somehow or by some means find an alternative less damaging drug(although currently there are none as effective as seroquel for the extreme case of clinical insomnia that I have). I have proved first hand to myself that seroquel alters your metabolism in a very harmful way. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence to anyone reading this but I swear to god I'm not making this up. It's your choice if you want to believe me or not, but I'm being very truthful and honest about everything. I candidly posted this hoping that it will help at least one individual avoid this drug if he/she can. I don't know what the hell is in this thing that causes your body to morph into an ugly undesirable "flabby" look no matter what you do in your power to change it, but something in it activates something in your metabolism in a terribly negative way so watch out. I know it sounds depressing and discouraging, but I'm sorry, the truth isn't always pretty and rosy. The good news however is that if I get off this seroquel I know I will be able to get back to the appearance and physique I once had which is nice to know. Things could be worse I guess, I could be genetically cursed, but instead I'm just seroquel cursed and although you can’t change your genes you can change what medications you take End of story.
    I just really felt a need to comment, as someone who has an history (and continued risk) of extreme Psychotic episodes, caused by Complex P.T.S.D.
    I am not questioning in any way this discussion's validity and importance (I have been on high doses of quietiapine myself and was not a fan of it);
    But please be wary that for people reading this who suffer from psychotic illnesses, that Quitiapine and related drugs are their only option. As someone who has also suffered from anorexia prior to my Psychotic break, reading someone saying that it's an awful drug that turns you into an elephant is pretty dangerous.
    I have, on a few occasions stopped taking my medication because of side effects. I find the change in my metabolism and energy levels particularly difficult, Each time without fail my psychosis came back with a vengeance, leaving me vulnerable, unable to function and eventually even dangerous.
    Be aware that insomnia, bi-polar etc have at least some medication options (I'm not saying those options are all great). But Psychosis and Schizophrenia currently do not. All anti-psychotics will make you at best a bit fatter, but more importantly all significantly reduce life expectancy (look up the medical studies, they literally take decades off). And those people with recurring psychosis will take them forever. But reading your graphic, exceptionally detailed description of your 'elephant like' body when taking Quitiapine would have made a younger me stop taking my medication immediately. (Obviously I know that would have never have been your intention!)

That is not to say people shouldn't be free to discuss it's obvious significant side effects, just only to keep people like me in mind!
    And I really hope that we see medicines for Psychotic illnesses progress past these chemical cosh's that do nothing to actually treat the symptoms of an illness that is so terrifying and causes so much damage.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-13-2017 at 01:59 AM.

Msing is offline New Member

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by kapow View Post
    I've gained weight with each antipsychotic I've tried. I'm taking 400mg Seroquel XR and was astounded how fast the weight piled on. What I've also noticed is that I'm rarely hungry, but I have a incredible compulsion to eat, especially at night. It feels liked an addiction. During the day I eat normally. I take my med about 4 hrs before bedtime. When the dose kicks in later I'm fantasizing about food. For those who say "just don't eat", you have to be in my shoes. I don't want any more meds--everything comes with its own potential side effects. Aside from hating the way I look and the helplessness about this compulsion, I now have to worry about the effects of weight on glucose and cholesterol levels. Therapeutically it works pretty well for me (bipolar) but it certainly presents a dilemma.

That's so funny. I eat normal in the day and an hour after I take my 100mg dose (which I came down from600mg) I get this craving for twizzlers . for months I ate then every night until I made myself stop. I'm finally down to 60mg and almost lost all the weight I gained. I miss my nice body too!!! It will be back soon tho. Good luck!!

Msing is offline New Member

Default Solutions

I weened myself down from 600mg to 100 and now 50. I lost some of the weight I gained. (67pds over a few months.) i have been drinking fruit detox water and running twice a day fast for 15 mins. And it's working. I went from 135 to 210 and I'm 5 ft 6. People aasked me if i was pregnate. It was bad. I took serequel for the sleep effects after getting clean from years of painkiller abuse. I need it less now I think and I'm almost off of it. But i may stay at 50mg. I'm still losing weight. My advice is get to the lowest mg that you can handle. And pray.

k2b2unit is offline New Member

Default Wish I could do that

Quote Originally Posted by nora021449 View Post
    Sorry if this is duplicate. I don't see my first reply.
    I am on seroquel and have lost 18 pounds in 4 weeks. I do not eat any wheat products or processed foods. I only eat whole foods, in the same form that they are grown, like brown
    Rice, oatmeal, potatoes, corn, other vegetables, popcorn, nuts, fruits. I do not eat anything that is made out of flour or that has been processed to make like bread, biscuits, pancakes, cakes, cookies, because they all have wheat. I also do not eat any other product that has been processed even if it is made out of something other than wheat like rice or oats. Eat whole foods only, it must look like it comes out of the ground or off of the tree. This may sound hard, but it is not. Eat as much as you want and after you do it a few days you lose all your old cravings for processed foods. That is the miraculous part.
    It is my personal choice not to eat meat or dairy, as I love animals and do not want them killed or abused, but you can still lose
    weight if you eat them.
    I know what you are saying is good (especially to bring tour body into alkalinity); however, for those of us who work out regularly and train..this is not a viable diet for us. We DO need the carbs and we do need protein (but probably not as much as my trainer thinks) it's kinda a catch-22 for me because I can't do what I need without the fuel, but the fuel gives me cravings.

MelissA2017 is offline New Member

I’ve gained 90 lbs from seroquel it has been very depressing every time I try a new medication it doesn’t work. It will
    Make
    Me suicidal or too sleepy seroquel
    Works but the weight gain is killing me

gearsighted is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarbear17 View Post
    Honestly guys there is a solution. As I've previously mentioned, it is possible to sustain and loss weight on this drug. You must cut out carbohydrates and wheat. Drink plenty of water and ditch the soft drinks. For those of us with Bipolar, a low carb diet has been known to work wonders for a stable mind. Excersise 3 times per week. Try and work out to the best of your ability. Try and get a good sweat going.Eat proteins and greens every 3-4 hours in small portions and I promise it's possible. I don't claim to know the science of it, all i can offer is the method that's working very well for me. I've managed to lose 14lbs and have visible abs for the first time in my life. Don't give up because it's more than possible. Once a week cut loose and enjoy your favourite meal. I guarantee youll enjoy it more than ever because you will have worked hard to earn it. Please feel free to get in touch with me to share experiences and I'll happily share my meal plan and excersise planner.
    Ultimately theres only you that has the power to make this change.

D.
    I agree completely with this. I gained a few pounds on seroquel (200mg) but I have been able to lose it and keep it off eating a ketogenic/paleo diet. This has the added benefit of greatly improving my energy and mood. I'd be interested to see what the actual diet entails for the people who have gained weight while eating what they consider healthy. I'm not trying to say that if you haven't been able to keep your weight down you've somehow failed, more so that doctors, nutritionists, and the USDA have failed you. If someone thinks they're eating a healthy diet that will help them manage their weight but it's a low fat, high grain diet as recommended by the USDA you're not only making it nearly impossible to lose weight and keep it off, but you're also greatly increasing your risk of diabetes and heart disease. I've seen both of these issues mentioned in this thread as possible side effects of the medication. Basically, I would suggest researching and at least trying a low carb, high fat diet (that is high in vegetables and healthy fats) and seeing how that affects you, even if you don't lose weight you will almost definitely reduce your risk of a number of illnesses and improve your brain function. A good place to start would be The Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson as it gives a really good plan for transitioning into that type of eating.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-13-2018 at 12:38 AM.

momto1son is offline New Member

Yes, I know all about the fertility issues with this medicine. I stopped ovulating at 35 and had no egg quality left. I researched years later to find out about ovulation issues with seroquel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123