Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes
someone please give me an accurate time frame of how long opiate withdrawal lasts?
    KatlynC11 is offline New Member

Where are your bulging disk? back? lower back?
    I feel as if i have PAWS from hydros. some days im fine some days i do not want to get out of bed and my back is killing me jus t like how i felt in withdrawl.
    k21c11

Jstbnme is offline New Member

Default How to???

How do you deal with the pain after quitting Rx pain meds. I'm on day 2. Worried about how to deal with pain after.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1007 View Post
    First, you can do it. It is not easy. It will be difficult, but the rewards will be great.

My story is simple. I suffered an injury. And for years I rejected the idea of pain medication. I did not want to become addicted. But after suffering for years I started opiates. And after a few years, my dosage had increased to the point where I knew that I was causing damage to my body in exchange for controlling pain. A point was reached where the quality of my life was suffering more from medication than from pain.

A choice had to be made. I was offered even stronger pain medication, but I rejected this offer.

The key to quitting is very simple. It is your will. Your will is greater than any drug. It is something inside you that is more powerful than any artificial agent. You must find this will first and foremost. Attempting to quit without engaging a commitment to this will is not a positive to reaching success.

One month, after an usual amount of pain, I realized my script would not last until my refill date. I elected to go on a strict allocation of my remaining pills. It is amazing how even a smaller dose will allow you to get by without too much suffering. It is as if the body will accept a 2/3 amount of your normal dose without the terrible withdrawal. Make a schedule with a steady reduction and stick to it. And soon the day will come when you are down to a single pill. Then a half pill. And then stop. Just decide to stop. And yes, it will be still be terrible. When that last little dose is missing, the body will scream for it. But it will pass. I found the period between 36 and 50 hours to be the worst. But by that third day, after many, many weeks of a smaller and smaller dosage, it was bearable. And by the fourth or fifth day of no dosage, you feel less than optimum, but you can function. A week later, you are feeling better than when you took your largest dosage.

It is about wanting to stop. Believing that your life will be better.

There are lots of tricks. Try them all if they help you, but without the will to quit, I do not believe any tricks or substitutes will work. I know a person that was using slightly more than me and he is still on all the opiate substitutes. I think in six months he will still be on them. He lacks the real will to quit. Find a reason to quit. Accept that pain that will come, and it will be terrible for a while, but it will pass and you will have a better life.

rocheg is offline New Member

Default Physical recovery issues

Abused oxycodone for almost 2.5 years. Was doing 280 milligrams a day before I quit 5 months ago and still have issues with digestive track, primarily bowel movements of 5-6 per day. Before abuse I went 1-2 times per day. I could not hold any food down for about 3 weeks initially. Once I could hold something down my strength began to slowly return. Has been a hell of a ride. Just wanted to share this. You will slowly get better. Recovering was much worse than I thought but what do you expect for popping oxy's like candy for almost 2.5 years.

james levergood is offline New Member

Greetings,

I admit that I have read very little of the tons of replies that you've gotten. But I do have lots of experience in this and I would like to respond anyway. I hope that something I say will help you, because even though you may feel hopeless, I am here to say that you are not.
    First off, different opiates each come with different lengths and intensities of with drawl. The worst of all being that of methadone.

Now, what I have found is that different people do NOT have different experiences in WD from the same drug. The discrepancy usually comes from the fact that when someone WD's for longer or more intensely, it is almost invariably because they've been taking other things that they are also WDing from and don't even realize it. This happens so often, in fact I rarely know a opiate addict thats WDing and hasn't been taking even one more drug that is now influencing their WD experience.

Now, as far as your experience goes, I highly recommend finding a DR that will administer suboxone with the intentions of tappering off of it as soon as your stable. Heres why. I recently finished a 40 day detox from Methadone, where I was admitted into a facility here in Canada, where they took me down to 30 mg of methadone and then - after 36 hrs of withdrawl - switched me to suboxone. The reason for the 36 hrs of withdrawl is that suboxone contains naloxone (narcan) which causes immediate opiate withdrawl. its a safety measure, of course, but it does require a patient to not currently be stable on any other opiate.

After having been through full methadone withdrawl before I can say that the tapper off of suboxone was a breeze. I became stable at 10 mg (making the switch from 30mg off methadone) and in less than 2 weeks I had weaned completely off of it - NEVER experiencing an intense withdrawl that required anything more than a couple ibuprofen to feel comfortable.

You can also take loperamide (imodiumAD) if your having any problems with diarrhea. Many people don't know that Imodium is an opiate. It crosses the blood brain barrier for only a fraction of a second before it gets booted out and for that reason you dont really get high off it. Many people have (including myself) have used it in access to compensate for WD during those days where I was using and just couldnt get any. If you take what is refered to as a mega dose it WILL completely negate any withdrawl you feel. And by mega dose I mean - for me, a 190lb male - about 90mg, but even at 60 mg it will take away about 70% of my withdrawl. It may be lower for you so if your going to do it, I highly suggest starting low and adding every two hours until you feel comfotable. And by low I mean 25-30mg. WARNING: I should say that taking loperamide for withdrawl over the long term can have some cardiac consequences, so use it only in the short term, like not more than three days in a row. Or...you could just get yourself stable on suboxone and tapper off right away if abstinence is your goal. This latter being by far the preferable method, as taking imodium inbetween the days when you can't get your >>>>>> or oxy is in no way going to give you the control you need in your to take care of your child.

Heres is another WARNING: there is no such thing as an opiate addict that can get clean and stay clean without some sort of ongoing program. The easiest thing is to get yourself into NA or AA. Do 90 meetings in 90 days as an activity to do other than using and maybe listen to what they have to say. I've had great success in the past by doing this. You may come to find that this thing called addiction is more spiritual than medical in nature and as such its a process that takes time. Just have enough love and compassion for your self (you have full Permission to do so) to go through with it. If your thinking that your going to get clean and just go back to a wonderful life you are just waiting for imminent disaster.

Im not trying to say that the anonymous programs are the only answer, but the answer is definately spiritual in nature and will ultimately require you to progress from a state of an egoic self centered outlook on the world and who you are, to a spiritually awakened person who is able to practice unbridled love and compassion for every one in the world (even those we hate).

People who are spiritually awakened and who can see reality, not through the delusion that comes from living in ego, but from an awakened consciousness that understands the interconnected nature of all beings DO NOT find the occasion to use or abuse anything, let alone drugs. It will take time to get there so be patient. If you dont really want to change yourself aside from your pattern of drug use, know that everything and everyone is in a constant state of change and in the case of people, the change is always for the better even if its not comfortable for us to experience. Fighting it will only add more suffering. So give yourself permission to patiently embark on the journey to a new you, one that does not think it neccessary to use anything to get by in life.

I first went to NA, then AA (even though I never drank, its a good program if you arent satisfied with what your getting out of NA and you will be welcome there) and then I progressed to Buddhism, which I actually found to speak about life in the very same way that AA or NA spoke about life, only instead of having 70 years of experience influencing its doctrine, Buddhism has at least 2500 yrs of experience, not including the 10's of thousands of years representing the very similar philosophies that came before it, which helped to create it through the exploits of the Buddha himself. Im just trying to illustrate that there isnt one method. Go ahead and try these, and keep looking if you aren't satisfied. It may even be helpful to go to a treatment program, your call.

I sincerely hope that you take my advice, even (dare I say it) over the advice of a medical DR. I have lots of experience working with DRs and to a person none of them gave me any inkling that they had any real idea what addiction was or how to truly help the addict. There are also those who are clearly there for the money. Beware of DRs who recomment methadone over suboxone. They know well the statistics of how many people EVER get off methadone once they are on it. dont become a DRs methadone cash cow. And if you do ever go on it - just get ready for a WD that will knock your experience of WD out of the park both in terms of length (30-40 days) and intensity. Dont do it. Tell them you want suboxone and nothing else. In Canada, here, they have finally realized exactly what i am telling you and as of this year they have change medical protocol so that suboxone will be the first line of treatment, as opposed to methadone.

One more thing, if you do go on suboxone to tapper off and find that you relapse near the end, try to find a center that offers to have you do the process as an inpatient. It made all the difference for me.

I wish you all the best and you have my full capability of love and compassion to begin your journey. I shed a tear reading your story, and I would sincerely give my life in this life to see you find your awakening - to see you truly blissfully happy.

Good luck,

J. Levergood

Njnilima is offline New Member

Your blog post Is the first that I have come across in months of research that is even remotely something I can relate to. I have been on RX Oxy for over a decade for chronic degenerative Pain from a collagen disorder named Ehlers Danlos syndrome, Hypermobility type. In any case, I have been tapering since July 7th, 2017. On October 9th, 2017, I took my last Oxy dose. I am on day 13 of my Oxy-free life. The diarrhea makes it hard to leave the house after eating eating. And night time leg pains are keeping me from much needed sleep.

Your post says 30 days before you could sleep. But at 14 months out, you still have symptoms. Can you give me an update on how you feel now?

I have adrebal insufficiency, chronic fatigue, and and a joint disorder that still causes me pain burn getting off Oxy is the best for my overall health. IT has taken to much health from me.

Thanks for reading my reply and hope to hear from you soon.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Njnilima View Post
    Your blog post Is the first that I have come across in months of research that is even remotely something I can relate to. I have been on RX Oxy for over a decade for chronic degenerative Pain from a collagen disorder named Ehlers Danlos syndrome, Hypermobility type. In any case, I have been tapering since July 7th, 2017. On October 9th, 2017, I took my last Oxy dose. I am on day 13 of my Oxy-free life. The diarrhea makes it hard to leave the house after eating eating. And night time leg pains are keeping me from much needed sleep.

Your post says 30 days before you could sleep. But at 14 months out, you still have symptoms. Can you give me an update on how you feel now?

I have adrebal insufficiency, chronic fatigue, and and a joint disorder that still causes me pain burn getting off Oxy is the best for my overall health. IT has taken to much health from me.

Welcome!!

Congratulations on having successfully tapered and stopped taking those roxys. That's not easy so be very proud of yourself.

This is a really old thread. I would strongly suggest that you start a new thread, all your own. There's a tab on the home page. Just click on it and it'll walk you right through it. This way, all your questions and updates will be in one place and it'll be easier for us to find you and for you to be sure that you are finding all the replies that are intended just for you.

Unfortunately, some of the symptoms you describe as being a part of your disease(s) closely resemble detox and early recovery symptoms. After being off of the roxy for two weeks, I think that the aches and most if not all of any restless legs you had at the beginning should mostly be done by now. I suspect that any lingering aches/nerve pain, etc. are being caused by your health issues. Trouble sleeping and lethargy/fatigue are two of the symptoms that hang around the longest, I'm afraid and the improvement is gradual. The first week or so of detox is very predictable but after that, it's somewhat different for each of us. Treat the diarrhea with Immodium. Look for the liquid form because most people find that it works better. Take it as often as you need to as directed on the package. Just don't take it if you don't need it. This is one of the symptoms that is easily treated with Immodium and you'll respond well to it..

How much sleep are you getting now? For me, I got almost nothing at all for the first couple weeks and then began to doze off in short increments of 15 or 20 minutes. I might have been able to get an hour or two total per night but it was very broken. After about three weeks, I was finally able to string two or three hours together and every few days I might have been able to get three or four. After about a month, my sleep was a lot less broken and I was able to get around five hours a night consistently. I never have needed much sleep though and even now, 8 years later that's about how much I sleep at night. You might bounce back quicker or it might take a little longer but hopefully this will at least give you an idea of what you might expect.

The fatigue, of course, is closely related to your ability to get a good night's sleep so you can expect that to plague you until you're able to sleep well again. In addition, sleeping without any substance feels different than when we were taking pills. Even when you begin to sleep, you'll probably still wake up tired and wanting more. You will adjust and begin to feel rested but it just takes some time. Once I got past that one month mark, things began to improve more rapidly and it wasn't long after that at all before I was up and about and feeling well consistently.

I'm glad you found this Forum. Start that new thread for yourself and keep posting. You'll get lots of tips and support. Best wishes moving forward and congratulations again!!

Peace,

Cat

bboc is offline New Member

Angry oxycodone

was on oxy for 5 yrs worked great for me.my arthritis neck bone spurs blown discs.going to go to herion they took away what works for me

MrsAJ is offline New Member

Default Your post hits home for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Njnilima View Post

I've had terrible pain most of my life. Things really started going downhill after a car accident when I was 19. I got severe whiplash, and my long-term pain started a couple years later. I started getting huge, nasty layered knots in my back.

At some point, I started getting painful tingling down my arms and severe back and neck spasms. They became so bad, it knocked the wind out of me, and I would miss work. If they happened at work, I would be there in tears, but manage to get through the day and would miss 1-2 days thereafter, using ice & heat therapy, as well as muscle relaxers. My boss said I needed to go to the doctor and figure out what was wrong.

By 2010, I went to physical therapy more times than I could count. I attempted to workout to build up my muscles, but often injured myself. My Dr referred me to a neurosurgeon, who ordered an MRI. I had several bulging discs (C3-C7). Every 2-3 years, my NS orders another MRI, and each one shows significantly worse degeneration.

In 2010, my PDoc put me on Norco after other measures didn't work. I managed to get off of them a couple of times, but I gave into my pain. I learned the hard way that once your brain builds a tolerance, it doesn't take long for you to regain a dependence after abstinence. In 2014, I quit the pills again, and went my longest stretch without them (6 months). In 2015, I began getting severe right sided headaches, whooshing in my ears, balance issues, and worsening tingling, pain, and numbness in my arms and hands. My fingers jumped so aggressively that I had difficulty typing.

My NS ordered another MRI and said that I'm not a candidate for neck surgery, because he suspected my entire back looks like my neck. He attributed my new symptoms to Chiari Malformation & recommended surgery to make more room for the part of my brain that fell into my spinal area. My PDoc put me back on Norco, because I was at a new job and started missing a lot of work. I noticed this time around how much the pills effected my functionality, but at least I was able to push through & show up for a paycheck. I had to wait until my one year mark to get the surgery, so I could be FLMA protected. It was an excruciating year, trying to learn a new, extremely demanding job while in pain and in a pill fog. My Dr also put me on Gabapentin, which mixed with Norco, added to my fog.

My left occipital nerve was damaged during surgery and I ended up with surgery induced occipital neuralgia. The damaged nerve created a huge neuroma (ball of scar tissue with active nerve impulses bouncing around & going haywire). It was & is extremely painful. My NS didn't believe me when I came out of surgery crying in extreme pain, and when I told him over the following weeks that something was wrong. 10 days after brain surgery, he cut me off of my pills entirely, when I had been on maintenance medication well before my surgery. I was treated like absolute >>>> and scum at ER. To boot, it was Thanksgiving eve at 4 pm when my NS accused me of being a pill chaser, because he forgot that he told me to double my medication. He couldn't get my pain under control at the hospital with what he wanted to release me with. He released me with less than what I was on prior to surgery. My husband actually called my Dr 2 hours after we left the hospital, because I was screaming, throwing up, and hitting my forehead on the toilet as a desperate attempt to take the pain away from the back of my head.

Thankfully my PDoc had a 5 year history of me with pain meds and knew I was always responsible & trusted me when I said something was wrong. The whole point of the surgery was to reduce my pain, so I could get off the damn pills. My Dr knew it, because I didn't want to go back on the pills in the first place.

It took a formal grievance and 3 months for my >>>>ty NS to admit I had complications from surgery. He finally diagnosed me with occipital neuralgia. I didn't trust him or his suggestions, so I went to the famous Stanford University Hospital for treatment. My NS mangled my nerve so bad, my wonderful Stanford Dr had to cut over an inch of nerve out of my head! Here's the kicker - my condition became chronic at the 3 month mark. If my NS would have believed me right away, instead of his ego getting in the way and instead accusing me of a pill chaser, my nerve could have been saved. I would have had a 70% chance of a better outcome. Because it was chronic by the time the neuroma was removed, my brain still thinks the neuroma is there. I have increased numbness on the back and left side of my head, but I have the same amount of pain (neuropathy).

Anyways, after 8 months of neuro-rehab therapy, plus seeing all of my doctors, they all pretty much agreed that I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, hypermobility type. That's why that car accident effected me so badly. That's why my brain didn't hold where it's supposed to. That's why my spine isn't holding in place. That's why my discs are bulging all over. That's why I'm unstable and have always been clumsy. That's why my joints (especially my right side) can bend and contort in ways that freak people out. That's why I'm super flat footed. That's why my feet and knees pronate inward.

I was traumatized by my experience with my neurosurgeon not believing me when I had severe complications. I was traumatized by being left without help. I was traumatized when I was accused of being a pill chaser. I was traumatized when my surgeon refused to properly medicate me from the time after surgery.

Anyone who's had major surgery knows, you're pretty good and drugged when you come out of surgery & all you want to do is sleep. I've had 15 or so surgeries. I never before came out of one screaming, hyperventilating, demanding help, cussing, etc to the point where they had to put me in an isolated ICU because I was interrupting other patients (I don't remember this). Apparently, the nurses were angry with me & told my husband about it. He said something's wrong then, because I've never acted like that. No one listened to either of us. In fact, he got management involved to keep me an extra day, because they couldn't get my pain under control. Poor guy fought like hell for me, but my NS wouldn't listen to him, either. My NS kicked me out with 1 Percocet every 8 hours, when they couldn't control my pain in the hospital with the Percocet plus a morphine shot every 2 hours. Several nurses tried talking to my NS & he wouldn't listen.

I was traumatized sitting 16 hours in ER on Thanksgiving, with a fresh cut from the middle of my head to the middle of my neck, and be treated as though I was faking my pain.

I am traumatized that I lost my 10 year career in the elevator industry. My neuro-rehab therapist refused to sign off for me to return to work. He sat me down & told me that I will never be able to return to my previous line of work. He said that I need to get real with myself and my health conditions. I lost 60% of my income & waiting to get on SSDI. I'm currently on long-term disability through my previous employer.

5 days ago, I had 3 teaspoons of Kratom in my coffee and half a Norco. That's it. Since then, I had 2 teaspoons of Kratom 2 nights ago and again tonight. I only did so because of my slithering, jumping body became unbearable. I jumped off my pills pretty quickly, a bit too fast. I just want to be free of anything opiate related asap. I could have tapered a bit longer, so I see the couple of Kratom doses as a taper, to be kind to myself. I want to be off of narcotic pain medication. I want my life back.

From 2 weeks after my surgery until a few months ago, I was on 6 Norco a day. I decided to ween myself down to only having Kratom twice a day. I talked to my doctor about all this and she was very supportive. Then we sold our home & the moving process became too much. My doctor & I agreed on 3 Norco a day, and I broke them in half. It was more important to have a steady amount in my system for pain control, than it was to have a higher dose several hours apart. But then I was ready to be done again, and I want to be done now. But I went from 5mg of hydrocodone every 3 hours to nothing and it was too much for my body. I get that a lot of people jump cold turkey from higher amounts, but my body is sensitive, stressed and compromised.

I'm grateful for Kratom for the times my restless body becomes too much. It's the only thing that's worked. I refuse to take another pain pill, and I have plenty, if that tells you anything. I have other "tools" to control my symptoms, such as clonidine, Xanax (only use after 2+ nights of insomnia to catch a break), Calm Support/Sleep Support to help with opiate withdrawal, food based women's vitamin, magnesium, potassium, etc. Two nights ago, I took the clonidine, Xanax, and Sleep Support, but flopped around like a fish. I was super groggy, tired, and couldn't sleep. I was a jumping bean. Out of desperation, I heated some hot chocolate with 2 teaspoons of Kratom. I passed out before I finished the cup, cup in hand. I'm so glad I managed to hold that cup & exact position for the next 10 hours. Tonight (well, it's 6 am & I still haven't slept), I took clonidine, Sleep Support & 2 teaspoons of Kratom. This is my second sleepless night. At least I'm not shaking or fidgeting my legs all over the place or punching them at the moment.

I commend you for having the bravery to get your life back. I hope you're still free from the pain meds. But if you're not, I hope you're being kind and patient with yourself. It's a whole different ballgame when we have true pain and medical issues that warrants a pain prescription. We know it's bad when doctors still prescribe it to us when they're under such scrutiny by the government. It's a hard decision, to determine what the better life is - living with the full agony of pain, but being clear of mind, heart and soul, or getting pain relief but living in a cloud of dulled mind and senses. It's a very personal decision that, in my opinion, requires experience to determine whether our painful selves are more fully lived and functional while on or off the pills.

That's no good. I'm sorry to hear you say this. Will you instead give Kratom a try? Even if you already went for H, will you taper and switch to Kratom? Much better for you, a plant, and no worries on getting Fentynal & dying. Check out Moon Kratom. Way less of a high than even Norco, but way better for pain. Hopefully pain relief is your true motive. If so, try Kratom for harm reduction!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsAJ View Post
    That's no good. I'm sorry to hear you say this. Will you instead give Kratom a try? Even if you already went for H, will you taper and switch to Kratom? Much better for you, a plant, and no worries on getting Fentynal & dying. Check out Moon Kratom. Way less of a high than even Norco, but way better for pain. Hopefully pain relief is your true motive. If so, try Kratom for harm reduction!

Sorry for all your troubles, but we never suggest Kratom on the forums. Why take another highly addictive substance to get off the one you're on? Doesn't make sense. And yes, I've certainly consumed Kratom, lots of it. Thought it was the answer until I wanted off. Same ugly wd's that opiates produce. In MY OPINION it's complete and utter garbage.

Theres no easy way off, no miracle cure, no magic to be found. It takes hard work to get clean. Those of us that are know that better than anyone.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Sorry for all your troubles, but we never suggest Kratom on the forums. Why take another highly addictive substance to get off the one you're on? Doesn't make sense. And yes, I've certainly consumed Kratom, lots of it. Thought it was the answer until I wanted off. Same ugly wd's that opiates produce. In MY OPINION it's complete and utter garbage.

Theres no easy way off, no miracle cure, no magic to be found. It takes hard work to get clean. Those of us that are know that better than anyone.

Randy
    Hi Randy, I hear you. I should have quoted the post I responded to. They were talking about having a hard time and ready to go get H. My opinion, if someone is going to use something anyways, then hopefully they're aware of and will choose a harm reduction option. A year or two ago, we lost over 36 people in my county in a week. There were over 50 overdoses total. They thought they were getting H or Norcos, but got Fentynal instead.

I understand it's tough. I'm on day 9 without pills, day 4 since my last teaspoon of Kratom. During the first 5 days, I had a total of 5 teaspoons of Kratom - first 2 doses, I had 2 teaspoons on the 2nd and 3rd day without pills. I had the final teaspoon on day 5.

I started with 6 Norco a day + 3 teaspoons of Kratom in my morning coffee. Worked with my Dr, got down to 3 Norco a day, by breaking them in half and taking at regular intervals. Stayed with the Kratom.

When I jumped, I was taking 3-5 half Norcos a day and my usual Kratom coffee mornings.

Some might laugh at my claims that it's been a very difficult 9 days, but I've been on the pills and/or Kratom for the better part of 8 years. I have legitimate pain & health issues, as I outlined previously. I imagine the time & my already stressed body played into things.

Thankfully, I'm sleeping on my own, about 4 hours a night. I don't have much of an appetite at all. It's been mostly smoothies, yogurt, chocolate and Clif Bars. I'm not using anything to assist anymore, except every couple of days I might still need a single 2mg Imodium. I've had to stay away from coffee for a few reasons - my stomach, restlessness, anxiety, and it might be a trigger for the urge to put Kratom in it.

I got out for the first time yesterday. Went shopping at Wal-Mart. I stretch, do leg exercises, walk, or do the stationary bike. But honestly, I'm spending too much time in bed (my cave). I'm overwhelmed by how far behind I am with everything. I'm tired, but wired, unmotivated, but restless. Last time, it took about a month to feel normal (my brain didn't work well and I made lots of mistakes at work. I feel stupid right now, too). It took about 3 months to feel comfy in my own skin.

To each their own, obviously. But I'd rather see someone who's going to relapse regardless, to choose something safer. IME, Kratom from a reputable source is safer than copping H on the streets.

That all said, I recommend and prefer abstinence over everything else. The last time I quit, I had 6 months under my belt. I was so mad at myself for getting back on them. That's a whole other battle to contend with. Today I'm in the emotional phase, with real world problems. I had to charge a flight to see my husband off to TX (we're in Cali). His grandma fell & has bleeding of the brain. She's currently in a coma. I cried and cried that we couldn't afford for me to go, that I don't have my husband with me, that I can't be there for him. I've spent all day in bed, eyes puffy from eyes of crying. But I have no desire to use.

IME, depending on length of time, use, tapering, etc, I've had an easier time withdrawing from Kratom than I have Norcos, and I've been on a relatively low dose compared to many others. But overall, nothing beats being clean, even if that means living with extreme pain.

Here's the kicker - 9 days later, my pain levels are exactly the same. The pain meds & Kratom stopped working for my pain a long time ago. I wasn't willing to keep increasing my dose to reach the same effects. But I've learned thru previous use, it stops working after awhile, it becomes maintaining to keep withdrawal at bay, and what goes up, must come down.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsAJ View Post
    Hi Randy, I hear you. I should have quoted the post I responded to. They were talking about having a hard time and ready to go get H. My opinion, if someone is going to use something anyways, then hopefully they're aware of and will choose a harm reduction option. A year or two ago, we lost over 36 people in my county in a week. There were over 50 overdoses total. They thought they were getting H or Norcos, but got Fentynal instead.

I understand it's tough. I'm on day 9 without pills, day 4 since my last teaspoon of Kratom. During the first 5 days, I had a total of 5 teaspoons of Kratom - first 2 doses, I had 2 teaspoons on the 2nd and 3rd day without pills. I had the final teaspoon on day 5.

I started with 6 Norco a day + 3 teaspoons of Kratom in my morning coffee. Worked with my Dr, got down to 3 Norco a day, by breaking them in half and taking at regular intervals. Stayed with the Kratom.

When I jumped, I was taking 3-5 half Norcos a day and my usual Kratom coffee mornings.

Some might laugh at my claims that it's been a very difficult 9 days, but I've been on the pills and/or Kratom for the better part of 8 years. I have legitimate pain & health issues, as I outlined previously. I imagine the time & my already stressed body played into things.

Thankfully, I'm sleeping on my own, about 4 hours a night. I don't have much of an appetite at all. It's been mostly smoothies, yogurt, chocolate and Clif Bars. I'm not using anything to assist anymore, except every couple of days I might still need a single 2mg Imodium. I've had to stay away from coffee for a few reasons - my stomach, restlessness, anxiety, and it might be a trigger for the urge to put Kratom in it.

I got out for the first time yesterday. Went shopping at Wal-Mart. I stretch, do leg exercises, walk, or do the stationary bike. But honestly, I'm spending too much time in bed (my cave). I'm overwhelmed by how far behind I am with everything. I'm tired, but wired, unmotivated, but restless. Last time, it took about a month to feel normal (my brain didn't work well and I made lots of mistakes at work. I feel stupid right now, too). It took about 3 months to feel comfy in my own skin.

To each their own, obviously. But I'd rather see someone who's going to relapse regardless, to choose something safer. IME, Kratom from a reputable source is safer than copping H on the streets.

That all said, I recommend and prefer abstinence over everything else. The last time I quit, I had 6 months under my belt. I was so mad at myself for getting back on them. That's a whole other battle to contend with. Today I'm in the emotional phase, with real world problems. I had to charge a flight to see my husband off to TX (we're in Cali). His grandma fell & has bleeding of the brain. She's currently in a coma. I cried and cried that we couldn't afford for me to go, that I don't have my husband with me, that I can't be there for him. I've spent all day in bed, eyes puffy from eyes of crying. But I have no desire to use.

IME, depending on length of time, use, tapering, etc, I've had an easier time withdrawing from Kratom than I have Norcos, and I've been on a relatively low dose compared to many others. But overall, nothing beats being clean, even if that means living with extreme pain.

Here's the kicker - 9 days later, my pain levels are exactly the same. The pain meds & Kratom stopped working for my pain a long time ago. I wasn't willing to keep increasing my dose to reach the same effects. But I've learned thru previous use, it stops working after awhile, it becomes maintaining to keep withdrawal at bay, and what goes up, must come down.

Hi MrsAJ -

Congratulations on your 9+ days clean. That's really awesome and I mean that. I know what it takes to be one day clean and I hope you never use again.

Interestingly enough I just this minute watched an episode of Dr. Oz where one of the topics was Kratom. There was a mother on telling the story of her son that was taking it. He was consuming Kratom, seized, went into cardiac arrest and eventually died. So sad.

I've heard all the evidence on how good it is and how awful it is. I personally know someone that OD'd on Kratom and barely survived. I know many that are taking it now thinking it's the magic cure for wd's as I once did. I also know a few that have stopped it and are in just as severe of wd's that they were on the opioids they were taking. No matter the situation you'll NEVER convince me it's anything but a bad substance. As I said, nothing but garbage in my opinion.

If you would like to stick around here he would love to have you do that. Start a new thread for yourself in the Need to Talk section of the forums. Tell us all about yourself. You'll have many members respond, and they can find you directly. Take care.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12