Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Magdalena12
Suboxone taper - Is it really that easy.....?
    Magdalena12 is offline Member

Default Suboxone taper - Is it really that easy.....?

I was recently reading a post where I, once again, read the quote
    "can you wean off of it and still have NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS LIKE SUBOXONE?". I would like to ask "IS THERE TRULY ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS WITHDRAWN FROM SUBOXONE AND HAD NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS?". While I wish that were the case.....I think it's time to be realistic about what it takes to get off of Suboxone. Unless I am COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than everyone else, tapering off of Suboxone can be a struggle. While Suboxone is definitely a HUGE step in the right direction for help with opiod withdrawal, it is, by no means, a piece of cake. It is very easy to taper from 32mg to 24mg to 16mg to 8mg and I think people (myself included) think that the entire taper is going to follow suit. The problem is, there is really no increased opiate effect between 4mg and 32mg, so tapering from a huge dose to 4mg is very easy. What I think everyone needs to be aware of is at 4mg you are just starting the process! Once you start tapering below 4mg it starts to get tough.....it is not easy or painless. Don't get me wrong, I do believe it is easier than tapering off methadone and a lot of opiods out there, but it is, by no means, a walk in the park. Of course we are all different and I am sure tapering may be easier for some than for others.

I am not writing this to discourage anyone!! I just think it's time to be realistic. I still believe Suboxone is a God-send for us opiate addicts and does give us the best chance at recovery. I just don't want people to think that it is completely pain-free.

I continue to read the posts and am rooting for all of you. I was rather discouraged and down when I wrote my last two posts, but am trying to persevere.

Wishing all of you much success!

mags
    Ak2campbell likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi mags
    How are you...I was thinking about you today...
    You haven't been posting where are you at on your taper...
    Are you done yet ???
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Anonymous Guest

Default We totally agree

While I was going through the taper I really didn't want to rain on anyones parade -so to speak. But now that its over I have a better perspective of the whole process . First and formost I dont think I could have gotten away from opiates without it. The tapering process and the discipline involved was what any pill popping . patch wearer , crush and snort , or shooting up type can benefit from. You neec to be on a schedule and follow it .Cravings are reduced or gone and you don't get highso its easier to do than with your D.O.C. I found that impossible. You have time to seperate from the original drug. So the sub, a drug I have a love/hate relationship with , is really useful. As Robert says if used correctly-word of advice here -do the taper JUST like he says -don't need to go into detail- just do like he says -will save you time and grief. That being said - A Suboxone taper is no walk in the park - I was fine until 2mg and again this is not meant to discourage just know what to expect.Also my story may be different as I didnt start with Robert -found him after I started at 12 and went to 2mg. in six days as I made up my own taper-and I threw in some skip days at the beginning also. It took me over 2 months to taper from 2mg to .25 and while it wasn't near as painful as c/t detox, it is drawn out and mentally challenging.With every reduction I felt it , nothing majo. But there was some aching, chills, fatigue, leg aches-- and then you have to decide if you need to take a sliver, and if you do you need to start over and try and put another four days together. Don't fight this one -just do it .It will smooth out in a day or so and you do it again and again and again. All the time I kept getting more and more impatient but you just cant rush it -hated that -I have some control issues .I tapered to .25 and tried to skip and the third time I was able to do it. Then came the ******** for me. It was not physical really except what I have already mentioned-nothing compared to full on detox.I struggled with the skipping because i couldn't take anything. I didn't even care if it was some bitter not get you high Suboxone- i still wanted it -but i wanted off it more. I think this is where your resolve rears its head and you make your stand. I made it personal -it was me against my little used -to -be- friend , and it wasnt going to win-no way. You need to be resolute as it is easy to keep taking a bit here and there and a little bit goes a long way. So when you get to the skipping go for it . Let there be no turning back- I was talking to it ,yes i was , I'd say is this is all you 've got ,some chills ,weakness and I was pissed .I was tired of it and done and there was no way it was going to win. Skip one , skip two ,skip three, skip four and your done . That looked like the easy end when i first read this but mentally prepare yourself to kick its ass -get as healthy as you can , excercise and then take it on . You aren't gonna let a little piece of orange bitter tasting ******** , that doesn't even get you high mess with the rest of your life and everything you've worked for? KICK ITS ASS.You can do it. I am pretty much of a wimp -thats why i did the taper. Take it on like a formidable opponent and then take it down . I think its mostly mental in the end but that is a pretty strong force. Thanks for bringing this up magsl. Again I dont want to discourage anyone . Suboxone, and Roberts guidance probably saved my life. I just think its helpful to know what you might need to face. Some people have no trouble with the end .Good luck Linda

be resolute. no retreat. no surrender. whomever you are, you can do this. we both did, under pretty dire circumstances. replace the bad habits with good ones on a daily basis. you will find your dependence gone if that is what you resolve to do. may God bless and keep you. K
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-02-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by magsj View Post
    I was recently reading a post where I, once again, read the quote
    "can you wean off of it and still have NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS LIKE SUBOXONE?". I would like to ask "IS THERE TRULY ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS WITHDRAWN FROM SUBOXONE AND HAD NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS?". While I wish that were the case.....I think it's time to be realistic about what it takes to get off of Suboxone. Unless I am COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than everyone else, tapering off of Suboxone can be a struggle. While Suboxone is definitely a HUGE step in the right direction for help with opiod withdrawal, it is, by no means, a piece of cake. It is very easy to taper from 32mg to 24mg to 16mg to 8mg and I think people (myself included) think that the entire taper is going to follow suit. The problem is, there is really no increased opiate effect between 4mg and 32mg, so tapering from a huge dose to 4mg is very easy. What I think everyone needs to be aware of is at 4mg you are just starting the process! Once you start tapering below 4mg it starts to get tough.....it is not easy or painless. Don't get me wrong, I do believe it is easier than tapering off methadone and a lot of opiods out there, but it is, by no means, a walk in the park. Of course we are all different and I am sure tapering may be easier for some than for others.

I am not writing this to discourage anyone!! I just think it's time to be realistic. I still believe Suboxone is a God-send for us opiate addicts and does give us the best chance at recovery. I just don't want people to think that it is completely pain-free.

I continue to read the posts and am rooting for all of you. I was rather discouraged and down when I wrote my last two posts, but am trying to persevere.

Wishing all of you much success!

mags

mags ..... when I first read this post I had decided that I wasn't even going to reply to it. It kind of annoyed me to be honest about it. But after a night's sleep and some time to reconsider I've changed my mind. I need to address this one more time as I want people to understand what I have REALLY said about sub therapy and the symptoms of the process. Then I won't reply to this again. I have too many people needing help to debate the side effects of sub therapy.

In answer to the very first question in the post above ... and I quote ... "IS THERE TRULY ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS WITHDRAWN FROM SUBOXONE AND HAD NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS?". While I wish that were the case.....I think it's time to be realistic about what it takes to get off of Suboxone."

Well the answer to your question is YES THERE IS !!! And I think it's time to be realistic about it too.

I want to make this clear once again even though I've said it here before HUNDREDS of times. And that isn't an exaggeration considering I have over 5000 posts. I personally went through hell in detox and within fifteen minutes after I was inducted on subutex I felt totally normal. The rest is history. The entire process I recommend here day after day worked PERFECTLY for me and it's done the same for others. I developed this process for myself with no help and I never had any w/d symptoms. NONE! Not even during the part where I was skipping days.

Have there been other people here that followed the sub therapy process I recommend and tapered down with no problems? The answer to that question is a resounding YES as well. There have been a LOT of them. I'm not saying they never got tired or worn down. Your body is in detox from opiates even though you don't realize it. The subs are masking the w/d.

People come on this forum with a variety of circumstances where using subs are concerned. But the most common scenario is that after their drs have RXd too much medication, they've been taking it for too long, or something similar, they come here and expect me to fix everything in a matter of a few weeks and all is supposed to be fine.

I am not a miracle worker and buprenorphine is NOT A MIRACLE medication. It's a medication and that is it. People don't stop to realize that I never said you can take any amount of subs you want to then just show up here and I'll have you off (symptom-free in a few weeks) and everything will be rosey, peachy and perfect. Where have I ever said that?

What I have said repeatedly over and over and over again is this. If you will allow me do your induction, or even do it yourself, but follow the instructions in the sub therapy link to the letter (including doing the induction right ...2mg plus 2mg plus 2mg .... waiting an hour between dosing until you stabilize), and wait until you're a DEFINITE 26 on the COWS worksheet, then reduce the dose by 25% on the fourth day. Then stay there 10-14 days before beginning to taper 25% every four day down to a minimum .5mg before beginning the skipping process I've NEVER had ONE SINGLE PERSON who had any trouble. THAT IS A FACT ... NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON WHO'S DONE THAT TO THE LETTER FROM DAY ONE HAS HAD ANY SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS. That's the way it is, that is realistic.

Buprenorphine is a drug. It's not a cure. It has to be used properly. If you abuse it, whether it's your fault or not, then show up here and think that I can make everything perfect just because I am the one handling it now, well that is a pretty naive attitude. Hell yes you will be lethargic, depressed, you'll have a light case of w/d symptoms all the way through when you do most everything wrong until you get to me in a state of desperation. To think I'll have it all worked out in a short time symptom-free is NOT being realistic.

I even tell readers on the sub therapy post in Featured Drugs that when they get down to less than 4mgs they should begin contacting me for personal suggestions based on their symptoms as it can possibly be a little difficult because at the micro doses there is more involved. Doesn't happen to everyone but it does to some people. Have you really read the sub therapy link because what you're saying doesn't sound like you have. Don't want to be argumentative but you're questioning things that are explained in the sub therapy post if you've read it in detail.

People abuse drugs for years and years. Then they come here and think they are going to be squeaky clean in a few weeks and just because their dr gave them suboxone they are going to be cured now and shouldn't have problems. They've been doing it just like they were told before getting here so why should there be a problem? The answer is the instructions they received before are all wrong and then I have to clean up the mess that their dr created and that is not a particularly easy thing to do.

Your post comes off as if you are here to really set the story straight about suboxone. People need to keep in mind that you are one more person who get here NOT from day one but you are another one of the people who were NOT using the subs properly and it has been a battle getting you on the right track. Sure you have had some problems. But you didn't start out like I suggest doing. If anything you simply validate what I've said all along about the necessity of doing this correctly from day one.

I hope you hang in there, stick out the process and get clean. But I can't and WON'T be quiet when you post here telling people that because of the way this has gone for you it's going to be that way for everyone else. That isn't the case at all. You even say in your post and I quote ... "Of course we are all different and I am sure tapering may be easier for some than for others." So I have to ask what is your point? You just admitted you're situation is different from everyone else's. So why do that post? What did you straighten out? Linda even points out above she and Kevin didn't start out with doing this the way I suggest either. All of this just validates further what I've said all along. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-02-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Robert-

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA buddy. I understand how much you contribute to helping people here. I wasn't attacking you or your methods. I have seen people taper off of Suboxone many times reading this forum. You have taken this all wrong.

For the record, there is ONE thing I have to dispute from your recent post. In fact, I DID read all the information about suboxone AND I DID do my induction per your instructions and had no problem at all and was very stable and thankful. When I talked about going from 32mg to 24mg to 16mg, etc. I was not saying that is what I DID, I was simply using that as an example because there are a lot of people who have been misinformed and DO start at 24 or 32mg. I did not "show up" on this site a mess and have to have you straighten everything out. I did exactly what you said to do, read all the induction info. etc. (I wrote to you very early on before induction and told you I had read everything, understood it and was completely on board). I followed your instructions to a tee inducing with no problems, used the COWS sheet properly and was tapering down and doing well. Even after my "accident" I continued on per your instructions without a hitch. I am not complaining at all about how you help people here, in fact, reading the posts, like I said to you in the past, is what got me to transition to Suboxone! You do a great job and I never said you didn't. I just think it can come as a surprise to some people when they hit the low doses. It was tapering from 4.5 to 3.25mg that I started having a lot of trouble and, like I said "maybe I am COMPLETELY DIFFERENT" than everyone else.

Look, I wasn't attacking you, I was offering a different point of view from my perspective based on my experience and I thought I made this clear. I will say I was totally unprepared for the w/d sx I had tapering from 4.5 to 3.25 and it threw me a real curve as I am sure it has many people. I wanted to hear from people who DID w/d from Sub with no symptoms, maybe they were doing something that would be helpful to people like me. I thought I made it clear that I was in no way bashing Suboxone!

Whether people were inducted properly (like myself) or incorrectly, I think there is certainly a group of us who will really struggle at the lower doses. Where did I just admit
    "my situation is different than every one elses??????"; it's not... man you were out for blood Robert! You have made it sound like I came to this forum completely screwed up and this wasn't the case at all.... I guess you just forgot... I must be easily forgotten :O(

My intentions were never to undermine. I hope this clears a few things up.

mags
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-02-2009 at 12:03 PM.

THANK YOU LINDA. I am glad you took my post as it was intended and gave you honest account. I was inducted properly and sailing along until 4mg when my ship dropped anchor / I was not expecting this and so yes I also "think it is helpful to know what you might have to face".

I am doing okay, just trying to get from 4.5 to 3.25mg and recover from Robert's post..hehehe. Now that I know what I am dealing with I will be able to map out some days ahead when I know I am going to feel yucky. If I know what is going to happen it makes it easier at least for me because I can adapt my life accordingly.

Congratulations!!!!!! You did it. I wish you all the best in life.

Hugs,
    mags

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

mags,

For what it's worth, my initial response to your post was the same as Robert's. And I certainly don't think that Robert was "out for blood" in his reply to you.

You say twice in your post that it's "time to be realistic" about getting off suboxone. That suggests that you think there's an issue with the discussion of suboxone here that goes beyond your own particular case. I was concerned that other people might read your post and think that people on this site are just blowing smoke and that the TRUTH is something darker and much worse.

I think part of the issue may be the way you express yourself, which tends to be very emotional and driven by your feelings in the moment. (Like suggesting Robert was "out for blood" in his response.) I remember these posts of yours very clearly:

"Was looking for some support-But Guess this wasn't the place to find it"

"But, I won't be wasting my time here anymore. It took me a long time to even post to this site after reading it for awhile and it just confirms my suspicions that most people don't give a s*** about anyone but themselves. Sorry but I am very upset. I have been a nurse all of my working life - helping others the best I possibly could and I thought maybe it was my turn to ask for a just a little."

Of course you can't help feeling what you feel, nor should you, but on a board like this anything you post can have a big impact on other people. These conversations aren't private, and when you vent you affect others. I think it's worthwhile to bear that in mind, even as we all go through our own personal difficulties and want to discuss them.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

THANK YOU LINDA. I am glad you took my post as it was intended and gave you honest account. I was inducted properly and sailing along until 4mg when my ship dropped anchor / I was not expecting this and so yes I also "think it is helpful to know what you might have to face".

I am doing okay, just trying to get from 4.5 to 3.25mg and recover from Robert's post..hehehe. Now that I know what I am dealing with I will be able to map out some days ahead when I know I am going to feel yucky. If I know what is going to happen it makes it easier at least for me because I can adapt my life accordingly.

Congratulations!!!!!! You did it. I wish you all the best in life.

Hugs,
    mags

I don't think you intended your post to sound the way it came off. But you have to think about other people's feelings too before you put it in print. I bite my tongue every day here because I don't want to hurt someone else's feelings. It's not all about you and it certainly isn't all about me.

There are some people who shouldn't use suboxone or subutex. Some people have too serious pain issues or whatever. Perhaps they need meds other than a detox med. I don't know what to tell you but I think you failed to mention everything going on in your life that could be affecting how you feel. There is a pretty good chance it's not the suboxone, but rather some of your other problems. I don't know obviously. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by MaisieC View Post
    mags,

For what it's worth, my initial response to your post was the same as Robert's. And I certainly don't think that Robert was "out for blood" in his reply to you.

You say twice in your post that it's "time to be realistic" about getting off suboxone. That suggests that you think there's an issue with the discussion of suboxone here that goes beyond your own particular case. I was concerned that other people might read your post and think that people on this site are just blowing smoke and that the TRUTH is something darker and much worse.

I think part of the issue may be the way you express yourself, which tends to be very emotional and driven by your feelings in the moment. (Like suggesting Robert was "out for blood" in his response.) I remember these posts of yours very clearly:

"Was looking for some support-But Guess this wasn't the place to find it"

"But, I won't be wasting my time here anymore. It took me a long time to even post to this site after reading it for awhile and it just confirms my suspicions that most people don't give a s*** about anyone but themselves. Sorry but I am very upset. I have been a nurse all of my working life - helping others the best I possibly could and I thought maybe it was my turn to ask for a just a little."

Of course you can't help feeling what you feel, nor should you, but on a board like this anything you post can have a big impact on other people. These conversations aren't private, and when you vent you affect others. I think it's worthwhile to bear that in mind, even as we all go through our own personal difficulties and want to discuss them.

Dear Maisie-

"I think part of the issue is the way that you express yourself which tends to be very emotional and drivin by your feelings".... I have read many posts in this form that were FAR more emtional and drivin by feelings than the posts I have made. Actually, I thought this was supposed to be a place where people could come to express their emotions at such a trying time, without judgement.... this has nothing to do with my post regarding Suboxone withdrawal. Yes, I am frustrated with my progress (or lack of), but is it not possible in this forum to explore others experiences? I commented several times that I was not bashing Suboxone, and stated that, in fact, I thought it was a God-send.

I would not want any one to think that I was implying that there was a "something dark or much worse" about suboxone.

I feel like I am being attacked for the emotions I have expressed because I brought up an issue that some people felt differently about.

So, as long as no one raises any issue that might be different than others, you can be a part of this community????? I THOUGHT this was an open forum where people could ask questions, vent (as long as it doesn't HURT other people), sort through emotions, present an opposing point of view, etc.

mags

P.S. THE PART ABOUT ROBERT BEING "OUT FOR BLOOD"....it was a joke.....I was actually laughing...
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-02-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    I don't think you intended your post to sound the way it came off. But you have to think about other people's feelings too before you put it in print. I bite my tongue every day here because I don't want to hurt someone else's feelings. It's not all about you and it certainly isn't all about me.

There are some people who shouldn't use suboxone or subutex. Some people have too serious pain issues or whatever. Perhaps they need meds other than a detox med. I don't know what to tell you but I think you failed to mention everything going on in your life that could be affecting how you feel. There is a pretty good chance it's not the suboxone, but rather some of your other problems. I don't know obviously. God bless.
    Robert-

Geeezzzz can we call a truse on this? I honestly did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings, especially yours. I am and will continue to be grateful for your help. The only other "thing going on in my life" is the muslce pain/poss. fibromyalgia-type syndrome. I did not bring it to this site because I felt that EVERYONE was dealing with muslce pain, etc.and I was no different-I just needed to deal with it somehow.

Well, enough said about this. I did not realize this thread would be so inflammatory, let's just let it disappear, FAST... )

mags

Anonymous Guest

Default Hi mags

Well - for whatever reason you are having difficuty with the taper below 4mg .Maybe some medical issues that you have make it worse -I don't know .I attributed our difficulty to being inducted at too high of a dose , coming down way too fast,and -you won't believe this one_ When I finally found Robert and we restabalized and began the taper i misunderstood the directions and thought you took a dose and skipped four days . I kept complaining to Robert and he didn't know what was going on or why we were so sick- Robert and the people reading it probably thought I was a wimpy whiner. Oh well got that straightened out -and began on the taper again. I think I described how it was for us in my other post. If you want to know anything about it -just ask away. Just get as even and as comfortable on 4mg before you go to 3mg . At the low doses there was a pattern to it .Taper -uncomfortable day or so -evens out- Taper - uncomfortable day or so -evens out and so on down to the skip ,Oh I almost forgot you mention it not being painless so assuming you are saying you are in pain ,I just wonder what kind and where. I wouldn't call what I had really pain more just like w/d . You can do this let there be no other option .
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-02-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Anonymous Guest

Default Sub taper- We did not start Robert's taper from beginning

Quote Originally Posted by brndout View Post
    While I was going through the taper I really didn't want to rain on anyones parade -so to speak. But now that its over I have a better perspective of the whole process . First and formost I dont think I could have gotten away from opiates without it. The tapering process and the discipline involved was what any pill popping . patch wearer , crush and snort , or shooting up type can benefit from. You neec to be on a schedule and follow it .Cravings are reduced or gone and you don't get highso its easier to do than with your D.O.C. I found that impossible. You have time to seperate from the original drug. So the sub, a drug I have a love/hate relationship with , is really useful. As Robert says if used correctly-word of advice here -do the taper JUST like he says -don't need to go into detail- just do like he says -will save you time and grief. That being said - A Suboxone taper is no walk in the park - I was fine until 2mg and again this is not meant to discourage just know what to expect.Also my story may be different as I didnt start with Robert -found him after I started at 12 and went to 2mg. in six days as I made up my own taper-and I threw in some skip days at the beginning also. It took me over 2 months to taper from 2mg to .25 and while it wasn't near as painful as c/t detox, it is drawn out and mentally challenging.With every reduction I felt it , nothing majo. But there was some aching, chills, fatigue, leg aches-- and then you have to decide if you need to take a sliver, and if you do you need to start over and try and put another four days together. Don't fight this one -just do it .It will smooth out in a day or so and you do it again and again and again. All the time I kept getting more and more impatient but you just cant rush it -hated that -I have some control issues .I tapered to .25 and tried to skip and the third time I was able to do it. Then came the ******** for me. It was not physical really except what I have already mentioned-nothing compared to full on detox.I struggled with the skipping because i couldn't take anything. I didn't even care if it was some bitter not get you high Suboxone- i still wanted it -but i wanted off it more. I think this is where your resolve rears its head and you make your stand. I made it personal -it was me against my little used -to -be- friend , and it wasnt going to win-no way. You need to be resolute as it is easy to keep taking a bit here and there and a little bit goes a long way. So when you get to the skipping go for it . Let there be no turning back- I was talking to it ,yes i was , I'd say is this is all you 've got ,some chills ,weakness and I was pissed .I was tired of it and done and there was no way it was going to win. Skip one , skip two ,skip three, skip four and your done . That looked like the easy end when i first read this but mentally prepare yourself to kick its ass -get as healthy as you can , excercise and then take it on . You aren't gonna let a little piece of orange bitter tasting ******** , that doesn't even get you high mess with the rest of your life and everything you've worked for? KICK ITS ASS.You can do it. I am pretty much of a wimp -thats why i did the taper. Take it on like a formidable opponent and then take it down . I think its mostly mental in the end but that is a pretty strong force. Thanks for bringing this up magsl. Again I dont want to discourage anyone . Suboxone, and Roberts guidance probably saved my life. I just think its helpful to know what you might need to face. Some people have no trouble with the end .Good luck Linda

be resolute. no retreat. no surrender. whomever you are, you can do this. we both did, under pretty dire circumstances. replace the bad habits with good ones on a daily basis. you will find your dependence gone if that is what you resolve to do. may God bless and keep you. K
    ** Kevin and I want to make it clear that we did not start on Robert's taper from day 1. We found him after we skrewed it up pretty bad. Doing it the right way will bring different results.

tired2 is offline Senior Member

Default Hope alls well

Hi Mags
    Hope all is well I haven't heard from you in a few days.... I gave Linda my e-mail did you get it?
    How is your taper is going well....I will be so glad to get off this drug ...had I known it would have been a lengthly process I would have just went c/d from Vic's.
    I have very little patients I want it like yesterday which is what makes it so hard ....I was only on Subs since mid March at 16 mg and no induction from my doctor real nice .Then found this site and Robert he got me down to 8mg and then on Subutex since the Naloxone made me sick . I can't even imagine were I would be had I followed the doctor...he even told me that his plan was 8mg for 1 month, 4mg for 1 month , 2mg for 1 month and then nothing .....this was after I saw him to get Subutex ... he thought I was still taking 16mg and told me to go to 8mg .....hahaha fooled him I was already at 8mg he was suprised. I'd like to see him jump at 2mg...
    Sorry for rambling ....talk soon
    Pam

Meghiddo is offline New Member

Where is this link from robert for tapering off suboxone? I would be interested in reading it. Ive been on subs for three years so I doubt it applies to me anymore but I woul dstill like to read it.
    I remember doing the COWs sheet with my doctor though, after doing so he recomemnded 8mg for me. Im thankful I didnt get one of those docs suggesting 24 or even 32!

Anonymous Guest

Default The link

Quote Originally Posted by Meghiddo View Post
    Where is this link from robert for tapering off suboxone? I would be interested in reading it. Ive been on subs for three years so I doubt it applies to me anymore but I woul dstill like to read it.
    I remember doing the COWs sheet with my doctor though, after doing so he recomemnded 8mg for me. Im thankful I didnt get one of those docs suggesting 24 or even 32!
    Hi -This is Linda and it doesn't matter if its been three years you can still get off may just take a bit longer . the only way i can tell you is go to Featured drugs forum and click on the second sticky called Suboxone/Subutex therapy and read that . Then you can post questions or get in touch with Robert . Good Luck

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meghiddo View Post
    Long term sub use requires a very slow taper.Yes Roberts post applies to everyone wanting to finish their suboxone therapy,or do it the right way from the start.Good luck.Here is the link.MM

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Meghiddo is offline New Member

Oh I misunderstood from above posts then, I was under the impression you had to start his system from the day you start taking suns. Thanks!

Junkie781 is offline Member

I have been on suboxone for several months now and have successfully tapered down from 16mg daily to 8mg daily. Tomorrow I will begin the slow taper from 8mg to nothing, it will take a few more months, but who cares? I've been a strung out pill freak for years, and suboxone gave me back my life.

So far the reductions in dosage have been fine and quite painless, with almost no discomfort at all. Here's what I've done so far:

16mg >> 12mg (stay on 12mg for 30 days)
    12mg >> 10mg (stay on 10mg for 30 days)
    10mg >> 08mg (stan on 08mg for 30 days)

Now the taper slows a bit, here is the rest of the plan:

08mg >> 07mg (stay on 07mg for 30 days)
    07mg >> 06mg (stay on 06mg for 30 days)
    06mg >> 05mg (stay on 05mg for 30 days)
    05mg >> 04mg (stay on 04mg for 30 days)
    04mg >> 03mg (stay on 03mg for 30 days)
    03mg >> 02mg (stay on 02mg for 30 days)
    02mg >> 01mg (stay on 01mg for 30 days)

After that, my doctor said we can start taking the 1/2 tab (01mg) every other day for couple of weeks, then every 3rd day for a couple of weeks, then I should be able to make the leap with almost no discomfort at all.

Yes, this is a long, protracted withdrawal period that has been specifically designed for ME, given my medical condition (Herpes, HepC, among other things) and my past drug use (20+ years on smack and pills, chronic relapsing)

And I don't have anything against the people handing out advice on this forum, but my personal preference is to obtain treatment from qualified physicians. I did a lot of research into this before I took the plunge into suboxone and I found an excellent doctor with an impeccable reputation in my area. I love the guy, I know he gives a sh!t about me, and I know he will not let me suffer.....and if I feel like I need to stay at a certain dosage for an extra month, he has no problem with it...everyone is different and every taper plan needs to be adjusted according to the feedback from your body.....and this is precisely what I am getting from my sub doctor.

Best of luck to anyone who is on this journey.

Man.....this post just wont disappear....hard as I try... 0

mags

Anonymous Guest

Man.....this post just wont disappear....hard as I try... 0

mags
    Hi mags
    LOL...some days your the windshield and some days you the bug....
    Hope you are doing well...
    Melinda

Liz0731 is offline New Member

Default Looking for Suboxone Advice from Robert....

Hello Robert,
    I am doing research for my sister who, has been on Suboxne for about 4-5 years, for an unintended percocet addiction after surgery. (well duh, I guess most addictions are unintended, silly thing for me to say, I suppose. ) She has attempted in the past, to design tapers of her own, to eventually discontinue her use of Suboxone. After doing some initial research, I believe the main hurdle for my sister, has been, the guessing and the hit or miss design of the taper. I'm hoping that you will re-post the link that you wrote, that you are referring to in your post above, the "Suboxone Therapy Post" I did a search for it on the site and I'm coming up empty. I would really like to forward that post to her email, in hopes of inspiring her to try again. I think that, if she has the correct information and a realistic taper schedule, she will be successful in discontinuing the Suboxone. . She's highly educated and in the medical field herself and like you, has stated many times that, most doctor's prescribing this stuff don't really realize or fully understand what they are dealing with. I would really appreciate it if you could direct me to your taper post.
    Thank you for your anticipated response,
    Paula

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liz0731 View Post
    Hello Robert,
    I am doing research for my sister who, has been on Suboxne for about 4-5 years, for an unintended percocet addiction after surgery. (well duh, I guess most addictions are unintended, silly thing for me to say, I suppose. ) She has attempted in the past, to design tapers of her own, to eventually discontinue her use of Suboxone. After doing some initial research, I believe the main hurdle for my sister, has been, the guessing and the hit or miss design of the taper. I'm hoping that you will re-post the link that you wrote, that you are referring to in your post above, the "Suboxone Therapy Post" I did a search for it on the site and I'm coming up empty. I would really like to forward that post to her email, in hopes of inspiring her to try again. I think that, if she has the correct information and a realistic taper schedule, she will be successful in discontinuing the Suboxone. . She's highly educated and in the medical field herself and like you, has stated many times that, most doctor's prescribing this stuff don't really realize or fully understand what they are dealing with. I would really appreciate it if you could direct me to your taper post.
    Thank you for your anticipated response,
    Paula

Hello Paula. Unfortunately Robert has retired from the forum. No worries because several of us have picked up where he left off using his very same methods to help those using subs. I've been on them and now off for nearly 11 months doing great! It's a simple plan and if followed closely will work great! Here's that link you asked for below -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

The taper section is about half way down from the top. Read it over and ask all the questions you may have. It would be better if you began a new thread in the Suboxone Forum because many won't see your post here and that Suboxone forum has much more traffic than here. If you need help let me know and I'll get the link for you.

Randy

lostnowfound is offline Junior Member

So, in this post, Robert said something about the induction, going down 25% on the 4th day, then staying there 10-14 days. In the original plan it doesn't say to do this, does it?? I dot have enough sub for this. Is this part necessary or is it OK to just taper right through, every 4 days or so?

BooBoo82 is offline New Member

Hi I'm new here...was reading all these comments n wandering if someone could give me the link to this taper down method? I am a recovering >>>>>> addict, was on 100mg of methodone for 2yrs after that n then went cold turkey. Worst experience ever! Anyway, like an idiot I was taking tramadol for the past year, now that I finally decided to get off that I couldn't handle the w/d while raising 3kids and working full time so I started taking very thin slivers of suboxone thinking I could use that to taper n not feel terrible. When I say thin I mean thin...like an 8mg sub would last me round about a month maybe a little less. I wanna say I was right about the .5-.75 mark once a day. I did this for the past 3months. Then about 2 weeks ago I started taking half of that thin sliver n was feeling fine. The past 3 days I've only taken a small quarter of the thin strip (like if u can imagine cutting a strip n then cutting that strip into 4 small squares). I'm just gonna stop right here n apologize bc this might be hard to follow, but I'm doing my best to explain it so plzzz bare with me. So anyway, tonight I'm starting to feel it, its not terrible but its not great, my back pain is the worst part right now. All week I've been kind of not feeling myself but being a previous vicodin/>>>>>>/methadone addict I knew what to expect but I'm just starting to get really scared now bc I don't want to go through what I went through before. Now I already know by the comments that I'm lower that what ppl usually start out on so I would think that my withdrawal wouldn't be bad right? In the morning I wake up soaked in sweat but after I take my little square I feel ok enough to get things done...its at night that it starts to hit me. So I guess my question is...if I can't even manage to take what I'm taking everyday without having w/ds then how am I supposed to skip a day. I know I probably just need to suck it up but if there is a way to really get through this without feeling bad I'd like to know. Any help or advice would be truly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Toby3610 is offline Member

Foonie is offline New Member

I am tapering..been 4months to go from 2mg once a day down to .25 3times a day..ive been on.25 for 3 weeks.. i cant go 8 hrs without feeling WD.major Restless leg syndrome is always occuring,with normal cold symptoms... please help what am I doing wrong I'm being told I'm supposed to skip a day but if i cant go eight hours without withdrawals that affect my sleep n job ? Is this normal ? do I maintain where Im at ?does it get better ? ... this sucks been on it for 4 years
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-16-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Typos