Suboxone Treatment in Ontario
    Tired_Of_It_ is offline New Member

Default Suboxone Treatment in Ontario

PLEASE HELP,

I have been on percocet and oxy's for a couple years now with my doses increasing and cost increasing I am becoming more and more depressed and more motivated to find a solution....

I have been reading about Methadone and the pro's and con's I also know many people who are on Methadone and don't see any end in sight, I have read a lot of information in regards to buprenorphine, suboxone, subutex, they call it Suboxone here in Thunder Bay, its so rarely prescribed or administered even the Nurses at the Ontario Addiction Treatment Center have no clue how to pronounce it.

I filled out all the paper work at the clinic and have been taking my urine tests to get into the program, I was given a quit date of Feb 5th 2009 and was mentally and physically ready to take the first giant step forward to regain control of my life.

A few days before the 5th I was scheduled for an appointment with the intake worker at the clinic who informed me I would have to post pone my quit date because the doctor wanted to discuss Suboxone treatment with me first, and in not so many words she basically told me the Doc was against this type of treatment and was going to attempt to convince me to take Methadone, so I was derailed once again....

I asked for another Doctor who would be willing to treat me with the meds I wanted and am willing to take.....I was then told the Doctor wanted $600 up front and then $30 a day for the medication, I got so angry I stormed out of the clinic and missed my urine test...I know i need to do this but isn't there any other way to reduce the cost, I feel like every attempt to get this addiction under control as been derailed or subsided by something out of my hands, I know my addiction costs more than this treatment but I rarely have all that kind of money "up front", I go day by day or a coupe days at a time with my addiction that I would never have the money up front unless I missed a mortgage payment or something important and risk losing everything...including my son, my wife or my business.....things are feeling so bleak....

I have so much more to say but I am just scratching the surface of my situation and I want to see if there is anyone with knowledge about the Ontario OHIP coverage or some way I can help substitue the cost to go on this program, I NEEED HELP so badly that I am at my end, I am losing so much in my life peice by peice and don't know what to do or where to turn, is there anyone out there who can help?

Regards,

Shane

lilbri is offline Member

Default Shane

Shane i know where your coming from. I live in ont too.Google the thomas recipe that's how i got off 150 mg's of perc's and oxy's. It will work and the people here will help you do it. good luck Brian.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Default Shane

Sorry you're having so many problems with this. Getting clean is so important, it shouldn't be made so difficult for patients. With the healthcare system in Canada working the way it does it's obvious that they will try to get you to do the least expensive process like methadone first. Don't get me wrong, I think methadone is a great medication for the right person. But it's a total overkill for you based on what you've shared here. You are not a viable candidate for methadone, that would be a huge mistake for you in my humble opinion. Methadone should be a last resort medication, a medication that you would plan on being on for the rest of your life or close to it. You would do much better with suboxone I think.

The costs you are describing are insane. Some of these sub drs (not all of them by any means) are able to take advantage of addicts as you can only use drs who are certified to RX suboxone. Not all drs can do it. But surely there are other drs available who are priced more reasonably. We can talk about that later, but first I suggest you go along with the following instructions.

The following link is one year old. It's a Canadian press release about the availability of suboxone programs that are approved by Health Canada. There is all kinds of contact information at the end of this article including email addresses, phone numbers, clinics and associations that might be of help for you, etc. The info is even available for the drug manufacturer in Canada.

Please let us know how this works for you. I've provided this information to a few others in Canada and so far I haven't received any feedback from anyone. I can only assume they got into a program and haven't needed any additional help. But I would appreciate knowing that the information we've provided for people in Canada is accurate and current. Kindly keep us posted.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-23-2016 at 02:37 PM.

clinilab is offline New Member

it's your life and your body. If you think suboxone is a better fit for your problem then don't LET the doctor tell you otherwise.

Try not to look at this as a way to stop "using drugs". Think of this as a way to get your head back on straight which is IMPOSSIBle for most opiate addicts to do without medication. Think of this as a way to stop the craving and the overwhelming desire to use that invades every part of your life.

If your an addict the symptoms are going to be with you for most of your life. Suboxone and methadone are ways to STOP the symptoms and get on with your life. If it helps pretend your depressed and suboxone is your antidepressant because it's the same deal.

Your an addict. So your choices are: keep using, take medication to stop most of the symptoms and the progression of the disease or end your dependency on both meds and drugs and live with being miserable for a considerable amount of time.

I chose medication. I have a life I want to live and medication makes it possible for me to do that--no apologies. I was miserable without it and life is too short.

clinilab is offline New Member

I thought healthcare was free for you Canadians>? Methadone treatment is free so why isn't bupe?

Quote Originally Posted by clinilab View Post
    it's your life and your body. If you think suboxone is a better fit for your problem then don't LET the doctor tell you otherwise.

Try not to look at this as a way to stop "using drugs". Think of this as a way to get your head back on straight which is IMPOSSIBle for most opiate addicts to do without medication. Think of this as a way to stop the craving and the overwhelming desire to use that invades every part of your life.

If your an addict the symptoms are going to be with you for most of your life. Suboxone and methadone are ways to STOP the symptoms and get on with your life. If it helps pretend your depressed and suboxone is your antidepressant because it's the same deal.

Your an addict. So your choices are: keep using, take medication to stop most of the symptoms and the progression of the disease or end your dependency on both meds and drugs and live with being miserable for a considerable amount of time.

I chose medication. I have a life I want to live and medication makes it possible for me to do that--no apologies. I was miserable without it and life is too short.

I agree with you in that I told someone on another thread earlier today that if a person has a legitmate condition, if they use a RX medication medicinally and responsibly from a real dr they have nothing to announce or explain to anyone. I don't think it's anyone's business. Sometimes we can be too hard on ourselves. There can be a perfectly good reason for using a medication.

I've seen two people personally in recovery that were intimidated into stopping antidepressants and it cost them their lives. People aren't drs and really shouldn't tell others to stop taking a RX drug cold when they don't know that this person needs the medication. It's a fine line determining between what is trying to help someone and what can cause their demise. I know from experience it's difficult to know with some people, it's just best to stay away from some subjects. But some people do need medications, that is supposed to be why meds are prescribed. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-07-2009 at 11:43 PM.

batss is offline Member

that ********ing blows. 600 + 30 a day? i got on sub for 6-7 dollars a pill and thats it for expenses xD

Default Where???

Quote Originally Posted by batss View Post
    that ********ing blows. 600 + 30 a day? i got on sub for 6-7 dollars a pill and thats it for expenses xD
    Do you live in Ontario? Can you tell me more about how you were able to do this?

Thanks

Default Wow

I just typed an entire page of my thoughts and "thank you's" and for some reason it didn't even show on the thread......if its not one thing its another, well i will have to come back and re-write it when I have the time again.....

thank you to everyone for taking the time out of your day and your life to share your thoughts, opinions and suggestions to me and others like me...it means a lot to know someone else understands what I am going through.....it is not only hearty warming to know that others care but its also strengthening...

I hope my post shows up, not sure what happend to it,...it was so long....

:-(

mpvt is offline Advanced Member

If you are close to Oshawa or Peterborough then I may be able to help you find a buprenorphene doctor. I wouldn't get on methadone for a oxycodone addiction. Buprenorphene is tailor made for oxycodone addiction....I'm about 90 miles east of Toronto and travel to Oshawa once a month to see my methadone doctor who also prescribes buprenorphene.....Dave

tired of the chase is offline New Member

I can't offer any help, but I am here in Boston,Ma with very similar problems. I've done all the research on suboxone and the docters who prescribe them. Much to my surprise, getting help from them is near impossible. My question is , how can dr's be allowed to give Vicoden to a person for 3+ yrs, and not be "certified" to help their patients come off of them! It's crazy, not to mention frustrating!
    I took a "30 day supply" of Hydrocodone 7.5's and ate them all in 10 days! The sad part is, I was trying to make them last! (100 pills) I got so sick of buying pills on the street, and that got real pricey ($7.00 - $15.00 each pill). Anyway, I haven't taken a pill in 11 days, all thanks to suboxone. See, I called about 90 dr's for help...none of which would help me, I always got the run around about insurance or they were booked, blah, blah, blah. So now I just buy suboxone on the street. $10.00 a pill, and I split it in fours, it last about 2 days. I haven"t even had a w/d or the NEED for the pills or I'm gonna die feeling!! So don't give up! Get those Subs! @ least for me, I feel victory will be mine. Stay determined

Default I finally took a huge step towards success!!!

Well, I did it. I am on bupe. I have been clean and feeling great for a little over a month now. I initially was on too high of a dose and felt very distant and strange. I had paranoia of something "bad" was going to happen all the time, like when I was driving I felt as though I couldn't look both ways enough before I crossed an intersection. Sorta like OCD symptoms with some paranoia. Anyhow, I told them I wanted to go down in dose to see how I felt, took a few days after I went down HALF my dose to get back to normal because of the long half life with the med, but WOW do I ever feel great, no withdrawals, no side effects that have come up as of yet. I absolutely feel amazing. In fact because of the money and time I am saving I was able to launch my business into a high traffic area of the city for maximum exposure, now that I am more focused and dedicated I am doing the best I have ever done since I started the business. Bupe has saved my life!

I spend more time with my family, I feel energetic and clear headed.

I even sleep better, eat better and go to the gym again!

I plan to ween myself down on the meds so I can be off it in the summer. We'll see how it goes and take it one step at a time.

Its horrible that nobody has the right information and you pretty much have to figure this stuff all out on your own but let me clarify the cost so it might help someone else with the confusion.

I paid the Doc $600CAD for the first visit and prescription. I see the Doc once a month or so depending on how I feel I can setup an appointment sooner. So far so good.
    I am on a lot lower dose than anyone expected for the amount I was using opiates. I am only on 4mg a day which is obviously a half 8mg tab. So I pay approx $40 every TWO WEEKS! I was spending anywhere from $100 to $200 a day for my habit, depending on the "deal" I got at the time. The cost of 80mg oxy's here can range from $50 to $100 so its insane to say the least.

Anyways, sorry I haven't been on here to reply or update but my life is back and I am out living it!

Thank you to everyone on this site who is helping others get their life together! You have a tremendous ability to help people understand the change they can make by stepping forward and tackling this horrible disease.

I hope that by sharing my experience I can also be helpful to someone.

Take care everyone, you can do it and keep doing it!

Biggest thing to remember is that even though you might get side tracked, derailed or mislead by uninformed people, nurses and even Doctor's...persue, persue, persue....only you can make the difference in your life and its your responsibility to make the necessary phone calls, appointments and so on....eventually the answer will be found, for some easier than others..but the end result is YOUR LIFE BACK ON TRACK!!!

I feel amazing......

killer-oxy is offline Member

Exclamation USA to Canada Script...???

Quote Originally Posted by batss View Post
    I went to the states - got my sub. Got a script for more. Now back in Canada I find I cannot fill the script without a Canadian dr. *signing* it to!?!?!

ANyone ELSE had this problem?

Help?

I am TERRIFIED that tomorrow the dr. will say NO...and then where will I be???

Quote Originally Posted by killer-oxy View Post
    I went to the states - got my sub. Got a script for more. Now back in Canada I find I cannot fill the script without a Canadian dr. *signing* it to!?!?!

ANyone ELSE had this problem?

Help?

I am TERRIFIED that tomorrow the dr. will say NO...and then where will I be???

It seems logical to me that a country would require a dr from the country you are filling the script in to write the actual script for it to be valid. That just makes sense even if it's a hassle. I think that would be normal, especially considering that suboxone is a controlled substance. God bless.