Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree517Likes
The Thomas Recipe - For Opiate Withdrawal Treatment
    Gonnabeatthis is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gonnabeatthis View Post
    Day 4 and still w/d free. Power of prayer is great....
    Has anyone ever heard anyone going 4 or more days withdraw free after begin on vic for 13 straight years? And I'm talking 10-15 a day...

Quote Originally Posted by Gonnabeatthis View Post
    Day 4 and still w/d free. Power of prayer is great....

Day 5 and still feeling ok. NO W/D Give it to the lord he won't let you suffer. Give it to him then keep your mind busy on something else. Do I still think about it? Sure but only for a second then I think about something else fast. Try and stay busy. Have any of you seen this yet? If this passes there gonna be alot of people in big trouble...

TUESDAY, June 30 (HealthDay News) -- The popular prescription painkillers Vicodin and Percocet, which combine acetaminophen with an opiate narcotic, should be banned, and the maximum dose of over-the-counter painkillers with acetaminophen, like Tylenol or Excedrin, should be lowered, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel urged Tuesday.

The panel's recommendations followed the release of an FDA report last month that found severe liver damage, and even death, can result from a lack of consumer awareness that acetaminophen -- which is easier on the stomach than such painkillers as aspirin and ibuprofen -- can cause such injury.

The dangers from use or abuse of Vicodin and Percocet may be even more concerning, one key panelist said.

"It seems to me that problems with opiate combinations are clearly more prevalent," Dr. Lewis S. Nelson, chairman of the FDA's Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee, said during a Tuesday press conference held after the two-day meeting.

Explaining the panel's 20-17 vote to ban prescription acetaminophen/opiate drugs, Nelson said, "There are many deaths that relate to problems with prescription opiate combination acetaminophen products, whereas the number of deaths clearly related to the over-the-counter products are much more limited."

But the FDA advisers also took aim at over-the-counter (OTC) acetaminophen products. The agency's report found that many people may consume more than the recommended dose of these pain relievers in the mistaken belief that taking more will prove more effective against pain without posing health risks. Consumers may also not know that acetaminophen is present in many over-the-counter products, including remedies for colds, headaches and fevers, making it possible to exceed the recommended acetaminophen dose, the report said.

Based on that, the FDA advisory panel voted 21-16 to lower the maximum daily dose of nonprescription acetaminophen, which is currently 4 grams -- equal to eight pills of a drug such as Extra Strength Tylenol. The panel was not asked to recommend another maximum daily dose.

The panel also voted 24-13 to limit the maximum single dose of acetaminophen to 650 milligrams. The current single dose of Extra Strength Tylenol, for instance, is 1,000 milligrams.

The panel also voted 26-11 to make the 1,000-milligram dose of acetaminophen available only by prescription.

The advisers voted against other safety restrictions for other over-the-counter drugs such as NyQuil or Theraflu, which contain acetaminophen and other ingredients that treat cough and runny nose. Patients often mix the cold medications with pure acetaminophen drugs, like Tylenol, leaving them vulnerable to dangerously high levels of acetaminophen.

The FDA is not obligated to follow the recommendations of its advisory panels, but it typically does so.

Dr. Sandra L. Kweder, deputy director of the FDA's Office of New Drugs at the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, gave a strong hint of what the agency might do with the advisory panel's recommendations.

"I think the top recommendation of this committee was that the agency needs to do something to address and decrease the usual dose of acetaminophen, both for over-the-counter products and also prescription combination products," Kweder said during the press conference.

She added, "There was a clear message that there is a high likelihood of overdose from prescription narcotic/acetaminophen combination products. If we don't eliminate these combination products, we should certainly at least lower the usual acetaminophen dose patients receive in those prescription combination products."

At the very least the agency should require new warning labels on these prescription combinations that alert patients to the potential of liver damage if they take too much acetaminophen, she said.

Speaking for the OTC drug industry, Lynda A. Suydam, of the Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA), said her group was "pleased the committee did not recommend eliminating these important nonprescription products."

However, in a statement, she added that CHPA was "disappointed in [the panel's] divided vote to lower the maximum daily dose and the single dose of 1000 mg acetaminophen. There was a notable lack of data referenced by the committee to support these recommendations and overwhelmingly strong data affirming the efficacy and safety of acetaminophen in its current dosage forms."

Another expert took a different view. Dr. John H. Klippel, chief executive officer of the Arthritis Foundation, said Tuesday's votes were very important to "people with arthritis because acetaminophen is a very commonly used medication to control pain."

"Lowering the maximum dose, providing that kind of guidance to patients, if it increases safety, would be something the arthritis community would support," he said. "Every person who takes this drug sees it as valuable, but they want clear guidance so they won't be harmed by the drug."

Dr. Lewis W. Teperman, director of transplant surgery and vice chairman of surgery at New York University School of Medicine, said he also supported the panel's decision to recommend lowering doses of acetaminophen.

"It's not that the doses can get you in trouble, but the very young and the very old can get into trouble easily," he said. Also if you are sick, there is the danger of taking cold remedies that contain acetaminophen plus taking pure acetaminophen drugs as well, he noted.

But Klippel added that the vote to make the 1,000-milligram dose of acetaminophen available by prescription only would overburden the health-care system. "Given the massive number of people who rely on this drug for pain control, making the maximum dose requiring a prescription, I think, is going to place undo burden on the health-care system," he said.

Teperman disagreed.

"The 1,000 milligram pill should never be at the patient's discretion. It should only be prescribed by a physician," Teperman said. "If you took an entire bottle of Tylenol Extra Strength, three days later you would be in a coma and needing a liver transplant."

More information

For more on acetaminophen, visit the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

aaron_w is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ride View Post
    2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).
    Imodium is a life saver. Amen.
    Lynn P likes this.

Stangfriik is offline New Member

Businessman1 is offline Member

Default Benzos not for everyone

You can tell by reading this thread how different everyone is when it comes to opiate w/d and one method or recipe will not work for everyone.

I found that tapering was like death by a thousand cuts, not the gentle easier method I had been advised. Every time I dropped my dose felt like a mini slice of hell. I decided to go cold turkey when I couldn't stand it any more.

I got valium for my detox but found that it increased my anxiety when it wore off during the day and gave me horrible nightmares. I also liked it a bit too much and could easily have seen myself developing another dependence. The Thomas recipe says you don't need Valium after day 4 but I'm on week 6 and still can't sleep...

As an FYI, my doctor told me the valium makes w/d worse and gave me ambien CR instead. I know a lot of people here disagree with that. I agree with my doctor. Sleeping problems do not stop after day 4 and relying on benzos to sleep is just replacing one problem with another. Ambien can addictive but I have never been tempted to take it during the day at work. I only take it when I get desperate for sleep.

I agree with all the views that said find a way to sleep as much as possible during detox. If I was doing it again, I would have taken a few more days off work and slept more as the first four days were the worst for me and work was not the best place to be.
    Lynn P and Mass Man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Businessman1 View Post
    You can tell by reading this thread how different everyone is when it comes to opiate w/d and one method or recipe will not work for everyone.

I found that tapering was like death by a thousand cuts, not the gentle easier method I had been advised. Every time I dropped my dose felt like a mini slice of hell. I decided to go cold turkey when I couldn't stand it any more.

I got valium for my detox but found that it increased my anxiety when it wore off during the day and gave me horrible nightmares. I also liked it a bit too much and could easily have seen myself developing another dependence. The Thomas recipe says you don't need Valium after day 4 but I'm on week 6 and still can't sleep...

As an FYI, my doctor told me the valium makes w/d worse and gave me ambien CR instead. I know a lot of people here disagree with that. I agree with my doctor. Sleeping problems do not stop after day 4 and relying on benzos to sleep is just replacing one problem with another. Ambien can addictive but I have never been tempted to take it during the day at work. I only take it when I get desperate for sleep.

I agree with all the views that said find a way to sleep as much as possible during detox. If I was doing it again, I would have taken a few more days off work and slept more as the first four days were the worst for me and work was not the best place to be.

Day 11 and the only w/d I've had is not begin able to sleep very good but I'm not complaining since some of you have really suffered. I finally feel like I have my life back and not begin controled by a drug. I gave it to the lord and he handled the rest. God bless those who are really trying to beat this...
    Lynn P likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Businessman

Good to see you !!! no one will disagree with you...what ever works, that is what you need to do, you did great you even made me laugh a couple times.
    The sleep thing does suck tho I'm a year clean now and I still don't sleep.
    But I don't think I ever did...

Talk to you later, Melinda

Hey Melinda

Glad I made you laugh. Comedy is my fav thing in life. I was wondering if you know Robert from this forum or do you know him in real life? It kinda seems like you actually see him.

I'm not sure I did that great, remember I drank through my w/d. I still think alcohol is the only thing powerful enough to make you forget about w/d pain. Just don't mix it with valium, my girlfriend still makes fun of me from the time I came home crying!

I've managed to stay off my pain pills so far. I still have a draw full of hydromorphone and oxycontin. They are going for $10 a pill if anyone is interested. That was a joke BTW. Maybe one day I'll throw them away. For now, they give me comfort because nothing scares me more than the pain I was in, even going through w/d again.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Businessman
    The alcohol was one of the times you made me laugh...LOL
    I felt real sorry for you at first I don't think you new what you were in for but you sure earned your stripes ...

I meet Robert on this forum he helped me get off my drugs the rest of the way...
    And oh yes I had a big crush on him...LOL...so I flew down to Texas to meet him and we have been together ever since. we are also getting married soon...
    How about that for a drug love story...
    I thought you new that...

The oxycontin goes for a dollar a mg here in seattle...crazy

I'm having surgery on Friday so I will have to have some pain meds for the first time in a year now...I know I wont get addicted but I sure don't like the thought of it...
    I'm glad your doing good...

Talk to you soon, Melinda
    Lynn P and Jkdimsdale like this.

Hey melinda

That is a cool story. And lots of material for the best-man speech! I did not know that.

$1 an mg does sound like a lot - I knew I chose the wrong career path, if only the career advisor at school had told me how profitable being a drug dealer is.

Good luck for your op, I hope it's nothing serious. I know I'm not exactly qualified to offer you advice but if it was me, I would ask for hydromorphone over Oxycodone or Hydrocodone. Orally, it seemed to be the least enjoyable and they prescribe it in infuriatingly small doses. Unless you want it to be enjoyable for old times sake in which case knock yourself out (not literally).

I'm interested (and a little curious) to see how you get on. It almost qualifies as a social experiment.

How long you going to be in for?
    Jkdimsdale likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Businessman

I was thinking the same thing about the experiment...I can't wait to see how this plays out...
    I will only be in over night and they will be giving me morphine and I get to push the button to say what I need, I have told my doctor about my addiction...this is the first time I'm telling the doctors I wont need that much and they are telling oh yes you will...
    Pretty funny really...

I'm not sure what she will send me home with Ill find out on Saturday...
    LOL...but I wont be taking 10 at a time this time and I'm wondering what my tolerance will be it has been a year since I have had any pain meds...

I will keep you posted as we go along...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

won2bfree is offline New Member

hi everyone, this is my first time here, i was hoping to get some advice, i am on my 3rd day, having bad withdrawals, i gave in and did 15mg roxi, my bf is gone to get the things for the thomas recipe, i feel so guilty for doing the roxi but i haven't slept in two nights, can't keep anything down, so much pain, my legs and arms are killing me. should i start taking the vitamins tonight or in the morn.

Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by won2bfree View Post
    hi everyone, this is my first time here, i was hoping to get some advice, i am on my 3rd day, having bad withdrawals, i gave in and did 15mg roxi, my bf is gone to get the things for the thomas recipe, i feel so guilty for doing the roxi but i haven't slept in two nights, can't keep anything down, so much pain, my legs and arms are killing me. should i start taking the vitamins tonight or in the morn.

Start taking everything on the Thomas Recipe immediately. You're making a smart choice going that route. It's helped lots of people with opiate detox. Just let us know how you're doing. This opiate detox is by no means easy but if you do it right you only have to do it once. Then you never have to use again. Hang in there. God bless.

muchtoomuch is offline New Member

Hello to all, this is my first post any I wanted to thank everyone for telling there experiences and battles. My heart goes out to all who is battling this unimaginable foe we call, the opiate.

I myself have been on pain meds pretty heavily since 2000. I had 3 reconstructive ankle surgeries and a shoulder surgery in a matter of a year. Then a year later, i fractured my back in 2 places. Although I had never had pain meds before this, I already had a tolerance. This later led to my further addiction.

I played baseball at the time and had my future in my hands when this happened. The next thing I know, im 50 pounds heavier and my body CANT do what it used to...My dream has died. My body has forsaken me. So what did I fall back on...The only thing in the world at the time, that can take the pain away.

By the end of my dance with the OC, I ended up betraying the people I love the most in this world. I was so full of guilt and sadness I couldn't take it anymore. One day, I found myself crushing up these evil white pills and balling my eyes out, looking at my reflection in the mirror....Then It clicked it my head. Like this tiny pill that lays before me, my life, spirit, and soul has been crushed. I became a bitter shell of the man i once was. I was so conflicted, I thought these pills made me a better person. More likeable, sociable, loving.....A better man right....NO...I didn't even know who I was anymore..

So here I am on day 5 of withdrawal of 160 mg a day OC habit...It has been the longest 5 days of my life. I took off the first couple days. It rained for 2 straight days and then on the 3rd day, the sun returned. I had got a boost of energy after taking the B6 with the tryosene so i decided to take a walk. When i stepped outside the door I felt so alive. It was like I could feel again. Looking up at the sky and trees, I thought this was it..I am going to beat this. I was quickly reminded of my situation when I returned to the house and became violently sick...I then had to return to work and put in 12 hours during a huge night for our company. As many of you know, doing anything during withdrawal is absolutly impossible. I haven't slept in 2 days and just worked 12 hours and still cannot sleep. If I dont get sleep soon, I will lose my mind. The doc prescribed me DOXEPIN for sleep, and a blood pressure medicine for symptoms... I noticed doxepin was an antideppresant and it scared be because my chemicals in my brain are messed up enough you know, Im afraid to do more damage. Does anyone have any experience with this? Im taking 75 mg of sleep aid medicine and phenagran for nausea and still no sleep. I still have to work 3rd shift at a very very physicaly and mentaly demanding job.

Im sorry to go on so long,,,Ive kinda lost my train of thought. This lack of sleep has got me. My hopes and prayers go out to all, once again...

god bless
    Mass Man likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi muchtomuch
    can you call your doctor and ask him to give you a few benzo's I had surgery and had to take some pain meds for a couple week and know I'm on a taper from them and i asked my doc to give me a few and she was happy to i was a year clean from a very bad oxycontin addiction, but they will help you with sleep just ask for about ten and they should have no problem with giving you them if they do I would throw a fit...
    let us know how we can help...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoomuch View Post
    Hello to all, this is my first post any I wanted to thank everyone for telling there experiences and battles. My heart goes out to all who is battling this unimaginable foe we call, the opiate.

As many of you know, doing anything during withdrawal is absolutly impossible. I haven't slept in 2 days and just worked 12 hours and still cannot sleep. If I dont get sleep soon, I will lose my mind. The doc prescribed me DOXEPIN for sleep, and a blood pressure medicine for symptoms... I noticed doxepin was an antideppresant and it scared be because my chemicals in my brain are messed up enough you know, Im afraid to do more damage. Does anyone have any experience with this? Im taking 75 mg of sleep aid medicine and phenagran for nausea and still no sleep. I still have to work 3rd shift at a very very physicaly and mentaly demanding job.

Im sorry to go on so long,,,Ive kinda lost my train of thought. This lack of sleep has got me. My hopes and prayers go out to all, once again...

god bless

Doxepin is a tricyclic antidepressant. It's commonly used off-label for sleep. I have a bottle at home I just don't use them. It shouldn't bother you and may help you get some sleep. I wouldn't be afraid to use them at least to see if they help you get some sleep. Nothing is worse in opiate detox than not sleeping.

Dr probably gave you clonidine (blood pressure med) as that has been used for many years for opiate detox. The w/d symptoms elevate your blood pressure and the clonidine then helps. But be careful as it is a blood pressure med and you don't want to make your pressure go too low.

The benzos like Melinda suggested will also work if these don't. I would certainly ask for some klonopin or something similar if these meds don't help. Use them as directed and you should do okay. Then you'll know by the end of the weekend whether or not you need to call the dr on Monday morning. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-25-2009 at 03:20 PM.

hutch3783 is offline New Member

Default Just Got Through Withdrawl

I had been taking 15-20 Norcos per day for over a year. 10/325. I tried the Thompson Recipe for the first 3 days and then decided to stop it. I found a couple of problems with it.....

First, the B-6 didn't get me out of the depressed, lethargic state but I do think it assisted in my sleeplessness.

I took Tylenol PM instead if Xanax and that really just made me more lethargic and I still couldn't sleep.

Definitely take the Immodium.... This is one step I skipped and I wound up with a chapped, bloody, and painful diareaha issue.

I have been off the Norco for 3 weeks now. Unlike some, I was taking them for legitimate pain issues and my biggest struggle now is keeping off of anything because I am still in pretty intense pain. I have a t7 compression in my back and the pain has not subceded. The problem that I found is that eventually, you become more and more immune to the point where no doctor is going to prescribe the amount of painkillers you need anymore. My option became - stop cold turkey - or graduate to stronger meds like o.c. That being said, I knew if I went that route, I would just wind up in the same situation on a worse drug. It's a never ending cycle.

In all honesty, the biggest thing that helped me get through was just keeping in mind - eventually, I will have to come off of these things because I won't be able to find as many pills as I need for relief. I tried praying with no help. I am a faithful person but God didn't get me into this problem and he wasn't getting me out. I suffered 5 days of full-blown withdrawl and another 2 days of not feeling great. But think about it - how many days do you spend every week and/or month coming up with schemes to get more pills? I know that I spent quite a bit of time every month finding ways to get more pills because I never had enough.

Withdrawl is tough. The toughest thing I have ever done. But here is my remedy for getting through it:
    1) Find support. My wife knew I took pain pills but had no idea how many. I had to come clean which was hard but she was my support system when I thought I had no one to turn to. Knowing that someone is there to help you get through makes a huge difference. Don't do it on your own. Be honest and people will understand.
    2) CALL OFF WORK!!! Your first 5 days will be awful. I know some of you managed to get through work but I don't know how. I would say thats more rare than common. Plan your withdrawl around a weekend if you must. Come up with an excuse starting Wednesday so you'll have 5 full days to flush your system. Trust me, you will be looking for reasons to use and not being able to function at work will be the reason you start again.
    3) Don't take any medicines that will leave you with "hungover" feelings. Tylenol PM clouded my head and once the physical withdrawls stopped, I still felt clouded in the head because of the sleeping pill hangover.
    4) DO NOT TAKE B-6!!! B-6 will not give you the energy you want and will keep you awake. Also avoid caffiene, taurine, or anything else that will give you "energy." Trust me, the withdrawls will over power any energy boosts you try and the only time you'll notice that you have taken anything at all is when you try to sleep.
    5) AVOID VALIUM / XANAX: These drugs will get you to sleep but are very addictive in a short amount of time. In two weeks you'll have a worse addiction on your hands.
    6) V8 Fruit / Vegetable Juice & Prenatal Vitamins: During this time you need to get nutrients in your system. You will not want to eat much so go for healthy drinks like V8 and - MAN OR WOMAN - go pick up some prenatal vitamins. They are loaded with nutrients that will (over the next couple days) help to make the withdrawls go faster.
    7) After day 3/4, GET UP!!! After 72 hours, the drugs are out of your system. Now, you are dealing with more of the mental effects than psycological. Now is the time to start moving around and dragging yourself out of the slump. Think about it, when you sleep all day long, aren't you even more tired and lethargic when you get up than if you had slept your typical 8 hours? Same concept. You need to pull yourself out of bed and do something. I got up on day 4 and did some yoga that I found on a fitness channel followed by to basic cardio steps in my living room. Then I went to the grocery store and kind of reintroduced myself to the world. For the first time, I was ready to sleep afterwards! Plan on a couple hours of sleep each night. While you'll want to sleep, you won't be able to - especially when your legs start kicking. However, the more active you are, the more youll start sleeping.
    8) Lots of Water - Lots of Baths: Drink as much water as you can. It will help you detox. Take baths often. I took 2 a day and sometimes up to 3 at night. It does help relieve you muscles.
    9) Take Care of Yourslef: Try to forget about the world. This is your time to do something for yourself. Don't let the outside world get to you. Turn the ringer off your phone. Forget everything else. You are going through what is bound to become the worst feeling you've ever had - don't let distractions ruin your detox.

All that being said - I do want to say something else.... The federal government needs to stay out of doctor's way for assisting in Pain Management. Too many people suffer every day because doctors are scared of what the recourse of prescribing certain medicines will be. My grandma is 83 years old and her doctor literally told her that he would not prescribe her pain meds because of the DEA's crackdown. She has cancer amongst a list of other issues and at her age, why shouldn't she enjoy some relief? The last time I checked, not a single Senator has an MD. Why are they deciding who does and doesn't get relief. Don't get me wrong, I think prescription pain killers can be a terrible addiction that can ruin lives. However, I also think that some people need these meds to live a functional and normal life without pain on a daily basis and it is unfair that they have to suffer because some choose to misuse.
    PainInSpokane likes this.

Day 34 and besides not begin able to sleep to good I have had NO W/D's. However I am starting to crave the Vics again. Apart of my brain is telling me it will be ok go get you some you won't get hooked but I know better and I would hate to throw away 34 days of begin clean after 13 years. Any support would help. Thanks...

RxSurf is offline New Member

Default Back again

I was forced into a detox 2 months ago when I went on a trip to a 3rd world country for a couple weeks. Before that, I was on 50-60mg of OC a day (5-6 10/325 percocets) for around 7 months. Worst pain I've ever experienced, although, I was prescribed it for a legitimate medical purpose. So here I am, back again, scared as hell to stop taking them, both for the original pain from the injury, and W/D. I don't even know how I ended up back in this position, but what I do know is that I DID IT. I know, comparatively speaking, this is NOTHING compared to others, but it's still something...something not good.

I want to start a taper, even though I'm not expecting as bad a W/D as the first time around since it's only been 2 months. Also, I'm taking maybe half of what I used to. I'm afraid that, like mentioned before, it's just going to be a prolonged W/D. I'm afraid I won't know how to function again. Not exactly sure how to do this....(SUGGESTIONS?!)

Never thought I'd be in this position...how can doc's do this to people?! (that's a joke) Agreed, these drugs have their places in pain relief therapy, but they should really find a way to regulate it so this doesn't happen.

I'm gonna try these recipes to lessen the effects of my dependency. Want to stop this before it gets worse...then sue my doctor for not abiding to controlled substance prescribing guidelines (another joke). Will report back. Sorry for the rant.

wanttobefree is offline New Member

Default Wean down

I am ready to be done with the meds and need to do it in a tapper off process and would love any experience or input into the best way to go about that. How much do I tapper and how often? Thanks, wanttobefree

wanttobefree is offline New Member

How did you not have withdrawals? Did you tapper off. I have been tappering off, but I think too quickly and need to do it more slowly because I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I do support you in not getting back on them, my life the past year has been emotionally painful due to the meds, less physical pain, but I guess we all have to decide for ourselves which path we want to go down in life and I do not want to be dependent on opiate meds anymore.

Anonymous Guest

Default Gonnabeatthis

I know this is an older post, but I read it, and it was so Moving !!! I feel like you have been reading my mind...

I just wanted to ask how you were, and to tell you, you probably helped many, many people in writing this.

Anonymous Guest

I told him that I needed a refill but he call the drug store to find out my last refill but he didn't call the one I told him to so of course he caught me in a lie so that was the end of that one. So I had 2 choices either do something that would more than likely get me put in jail or finally make my mind up

Quote Originally Posted by Debpurpletiger View Post
    I know this is an older post, but I read it, and it was so Moving !!! I feel like you have been reading my mind...

I just wanted to ask how you were, and to tell you, you probably helped many, many people in writing this.

jivepepper is offline New Member

What's good for controling nausea when quit opiates?

Tyson33 is offline New Member

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering. I read that using ativan as an alternate benzo wasnt the best idea, but I was wondering why. I use that for anxiety now, so I have access to it and I really dont like taking valium for anxiety and I dont want to ask my dr to switch me, it makes mthe Valium makes me really drowsy and ativan really doesnt. Any help would be apprecitaed

Thanks Ty

jivepepper and Tyson ..... I will post a link to the Thomas Recipe. It will help with w/d symptoms from opiate w/d and you CAN substitute Ativan for the Valium if that is what you've got and it helps you. Hope this helps. God bless.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

angelsawait is offline New Member

Default withdrawals... oy!

(this might run long... sorry!)
    Hello all~ I have been lurking on many different sites the past few months, gathering as much info as I possibly could on wd and the options out there.
    I SO appreciate every one of your posts. I learn something new from every single person... it is amazing and wonderful! Thank you!
    My DOC has always been >>>>>>. Something I ran across early in life and just couldn't shake. 20 years later, a total of 13 years of my life on methadone, and I am just soooo through. I did check into Subutex, but thought it insane (just like methadone) as you are replacing one drug for another. I have gone through withdrawal (not purposefully, usually) more times than I can count. I don't know if it is the length of time that I have been using or that my habit has been at least a gram a day for quite awile, or what... but trying to withdrawal in the last couple of months have ended me up in the ememrgency room. Not good.
    I came across the Thomas Recipe and thought i'd give it a try.
    So, for the last month or so I have been gathering all of the drugs on the list and then some. I know that it can be really frustrating to come across these meds... asking around to the "right people" might hook you up eventually. I was able to get a couple of things from the urgent care or emergency room. Just let them know that you are going to be coming off of opiates and they will usually prescribe you with clonidine (catapress~BP med that does help), phenargen (promethazine~nausea med), and visteril (hydroxizine hci~ light anxiety/sleep type med~ it is an antihistamine, so not a real big gun). But these do help.
    I was able to stock up on klonopin, clonadine, phenargen, ambien, robaxin, baclofen, ibuprofen, and a few subutex (a few 8 mg, and boy are they ever expensive), centrum silver and, of course, pepto.
    I am into my 2nd day of wd I know that the worst is to come, but am staying the course with my arsenal of meds!
    A few very important/helpful things (that have helped in the past) to keep doing if you can through your rollercoaster ride through hell is a) drink plenty of fluids in the few days leading up to your wd and keep drinking as much water as possible thru out. b) also, eat well in the few days or day leading up to the wd and try to eat small meals in the first days of wd since you will not feel like eating for quite a few days. c) having someone with you to take care of you is wonderful, but usually not feasable~ try to at least keep in phone contact with someone or maybe ask a neighbor or a friend to drop in on you a few times a day to check on you d) if you are having violent wd symtoms (ie: vomiting uncontrollably for hours, not being able to hold ANY fluids or meds down, or any unusual symtoms that are not usually normal to your wd) go to an ER or call 911 emmediately. At the hospital they will be able to get IV fluids into you and hopefully get your vomiting under control before they let you go. Unfortunately, they usually won't give us anything in that IV to help make the pain go away. But then that would just be defeating the purpose, right?

Am off to go lay back on the couch!
    Will try and keep ya's posted on how I come through.

Good luck to you all!!!!!!!!!!

deliberate187 is offline New Member

I have found out that one thing will help curb opiate withdrawals quicker than anything but you have to be dedicated. Have someone you trust (preferably a spouse or parent) hold your pills for you, and administer gradually decreasing doses to you, and by gradually I mean decrease by 5mg a day, tops. Here's my story.

I'm 24. I was 23 when I first got in my car wreck. I was prescribed Vicodin 7.5/500 for my pain. First, I was taking one pill, then 2, then 3... then before I knew it, I was CWEing 6 Vico 7.5s (and snorting a couple Percs at times) at a time for my average dose for about 3 months straight. The pills consumed my social life, made me withdraw from my family and friends, and took over my every thought. I couldn't stop until I ran out of pills, and it was the worst 4 months of my life. Withdrawal sucks balls. The first week was the creme de la creme. I lost 15 pounds in one week, partially due to hellish diarrhea and vomiting, and not being able to eat as a result. My withdrawal symptoms were gone within a month, but the underlying addiction made me very depressed and exacerbated my social anxiety problems and gave me a very, very bad temper. Cravings still persist, but they're becoming less frequent and things are sort of going back to normal. Now I'm on Celexa for the SA, and it seems to be helping so far, although I'll follow up in a couple of weeks when I have been on it for a bit longer.

Take this lesson home: For anyone who is not addicted to opiates who is reading this thread, don't ever, EVER let yourself fall into this evil trap. If you don't think it can happen to you, trust me, I shared your exact same thought at one time, and now I know better. If you're prescribed opiates for pain, take them ONLY as directed and ONLY when you absolutely need them. I'm no doctor and I'm not trying to give medical advice to anyone reading this, but I can tell you from personal experience, it doesn't take long to become a junkie.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-07-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to state why I was given pills in first place.

ghowley is offline New Member

Hey I'M sure interested in that drawer. Be all too happy to take it off yer hands....

ghowley is offline New Member

I've managed to stay off my pain pills so far. I still have a draw full of hydromorphone and oxycontin. They are going for $10 a pill if anyone is interested. That was a joke BTW. Maybe one day I'll throw them away.

@ businessman:
    no--no! Happy to take them off your hands.... anytime!

dunno how to reply properly...

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast