Trading Lexapro for Prozac to Lose Weight?
    bellablue is offline New Member

Default Trading Lexapro for Prozac to Lose Weight?

5 years ago I was doing really poor mentally and was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and OCD. I was REALLY bad. After getting on the right medicine, Lexapro, along with psychotherapy, I went from feeling horrible to feeling exceptional. I'm doing very well still after 5 years and expect to continue so. In my opinion I felt as though I must have had a shortage of serotonin and the lexapro has filled that gap, in addition to calming my OCD tendencies, which it has.

It took from going from 10 to 20 to 40 mg of Lexapro to get the right dosage for me.

During the first year of taking the Lexapro I shot up 100 lbs in weight.

...this is the only drawback in my mental recovery. I am fine with the weight gain if it means good mental health. However, with high blood pressure and high cholesterol and a family history of heart attacks I want to try to lose the weight for my physical health.

I had an appointment with my Psychiatrist today and he placed me on Prozac 20 mg which he said I could increase to 40 mg if it wasn't working. He wanted me to start by taking only 20 mg of Lexapro for 5 days (instead of 40 mg Lexapro) and then begin the 20 mg of Prozac, and revisit things in 6 weeks.

Anyone ever done anything like this? I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience with losing weight after Lexapro withdrawl, or if I will even lose weight with tapering off Lexapro and adding Prozac. We both agreed that I probably would have to be on something my entire life since I have a disorder and it wasn't necessarily something in my life for a short period of time 5 years ago that caused the anxiety. This was something I have had my whole life but just never sought help to determine what I was experiencing.

I am very appreciative for what Lexapro has done for me and like I said if it means that I have to take it to have good mental health I will. It has done wonders for me but I would like to lose the weight and have tried eating well, exercising, etc. I don't know what it is about Lexapro that causes weight gain but it sure did for me.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-28-2010 at 11:03 PM.

anxiouslife is offline New Member

Default Lost Weight After Lexapro

I took 10mg of Lexapro daily for 2 years for anxiety and gained 50 pounds, mostly around my waist. Exercise and minor diet changes during this time had no effect on my weight loss. I tapered off the Lexapro in December 2013 and up to now (February) have lost 10 pounds. The actual fat loss was more than 10 pounds because I put on some muscle. I think anyone going off Lexapro will lose some of the extra weight gained without diet changes or exercise, but I wanted to accelerate my weight loss. I also changed my diet away from fast food, and spent more time in the gym (cardio and weight training).

I started Prozac last week, so it is too early to tell if it will have the same effect on my weight as the Lexapro did. But Lexapro definitely can have a weight gain effect for some people. And weight loss can happen after you stop taking it.

-AL

weplant is offline New Member

I was lexapro a couple of years ago for extreme anxiety/panic..It did calm things down for me, but I gained about 45 pounds..It also made me non-reactive, so I went off about 2 years ago..I was not able to get the weight until recently when I went on a paleo diet. I am now starting on prozac as the anxiety is much worse then it was when I went on Lexapro, I cannot even leave my house..I am very , very sensitive to meds so I am on a very low dose of liquid prozac..Even at this low dose I get the side effects including lose of appetite..I definityly think you will not have the weight gain problem with prozac as you did with lexapro..I wish you the best of luck.